Menu

Help with math please? Singapore....

My 7yo dd is bored.  We tried MUS because my engineering dh thought it would be a good fit, tried Saxon, bored. We have gone through nearly all components of Singapore 1A and 1B: textbook, workbook, CWP, IP and EP, but the sheer number of books seem to overwhelm her.  Has anyone taken these components and either staggered them using one book at a time, eliminated some of the books, or dismantled them and created a binder/workbook of your own?  I would love to be able to take the pages and put them in a specific order and have them spiral bound or put them in a binder.  I think this program is a good fit for her, but she feels like she never gets to finish a book, kwim?  Thanks!

• Like 2

The way I do SM (with my older girl, doing 4B) is having two math sessions a day, one with IP or CWP (done 1 semester behind the tb/wb) and one with the tb/wb. With my younger girl, doing 2A, I do one math session a day, which can be either tb/wb only or IP only (done 1 semester behind the tb/wb) or a combo of both (and I randomly include assorted problems from CWP). If there's a lot of tb/wb work (or it's a bad math day), I just do the tb/wb; if the tb/wb is easy/fast, I throw in a few IP pages; if we haven't gotten to IP recently (or we're working through a hard IP section), I have an IP-only day. At some point we'll move to two math sessions and the same schedule as my older girl. (Also, in the past, I have assigned a page of CWP each day as an independent warmup sort of work, done roughly a semester behind.)

It *is* a lot of math, though, esp for my older girl - IP for her is the time equivalent of a whole second program. So far I think it's worthwhile, and it keeps the wb easy, but it is a significant time investment for us, and my older dd complains about doing too much math on a semi-regular basis.

I run all the books mostly independently of each other, and so far they haven't felt like doing IP is holding them back from progressing to the next level, because we start a new tb/wb when the old one is done, and start a new IP when the old one is done (plus IP is done as a review/extension, not as part of the main math progression). I sort of try to keep the IP at a semester behind, and I fiddle a bit to keep things on track-ish - if we get too behind I'll have a few IP-only days; if we get too ahead, I'll do CWP-only days or even tb/wb only days (or more recently, Life of Fred days - took the opportunity of being "ahead" with IP to do an actual second program) - but I don't fuss much about it.

In your shoes, I think I'd choose *either* IP or EP. The Extra practice books are the same level as the workbook, and are for when you dc need, well, extra practice to master the work (or as a review, to keep things sharp). The Intensive Practice books, otoh, go further and deeper, so you are practicing your skills on more difficult problems that you've not seen before. Since your dd is bored, it sounds like she might not need the extra practice books, especially if she doesn't find the IP books too challenging.

Also, you don't have to do all of everything. I generally do all the wb and IP (but I might start to rethink that wrt IP, because, as I said, it takes up a lot of our time). But I only do the practices/reviews in the tb if my dc need the practice, and I pick and choose CWP problems - for example, if a given chapter is easy for my dc, I only have them do the extra challenging ones. When things are harder for my dc, I usually take the time to provide extra teaching and practice and handholding, sufficient for them to master it, but sometimes on the harder IP problems, I count me working through the problem with my dc following along as sufficient and call it a day.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 1

We use the Singapore textbook and workbook during the school year and the extra practice book over the summer for review. This way they are reviewing concepts and getting more practice but I still have a break in the summer from teaching new concepts. Sometimes I add CWP but not often. I think the main program has enough word problems honestly, but if you need more, just do them over the summer.

• Like 3

Well, I don't use EP. I think it's overkill unless the child is struggling with concepts. If a child seems overwhelmed, you can drop down to the Workbook and IP. Then use CWP at the end of the year or through the summer for review.

We use the Singapore textbook and workbook during the school year and the extra practice book over the summer for review. This way they are reviewing concepts and getting more practice but I still have a break in the summer from teaching new concepts. Sometimes I add CWP but not often. I think the main program has enough word problems honestly, but if you need more, just do them over the summer.

We school year round, four days per week.  The summer study is a great idea, but it won't fit our year.

We just used the workbook and textbook. If they did that quickly I preferred to add in a different curriculum so that they could see there are many different ways to do math. For the younger levels we used Miquon which is more hands-on and then we moved to Life of Fred (my kids loved it - but it seems kids either do or they don't). We also used Khan Academy and I had a reward system going that related to how many points they earned on Khan

• Like 2

You do not need all those components at once. You do not need the EP workbook if your dd does not need extra practice to master the concepts and if she is doing intensive practice then she probably does not need it. I just started IP for now I might try using the textbook and IP in place of the workbook and if that does not seem to be working I will do the textbook and workbook and the IP a little behind. The IP is less pages but it seems to take longer to do each page.

• Like 4

We use just the textbook and IP book. The standard schedule for us would be

Day 1...go over new concept in textbook orally. This might guy be a whole chapter if it's easy or just a section if it's conceptually more challenging. Do a few practice problems together.

Then the kid works in the IP book through the concept we covered. I don't assign every problem. They do at least a few of each type and them all the word problems and more challenging problems. I go more by time than a specific amount. My 2nd grader works about 20-30 min, my 5th grader does about an hour.

When we get to the reviews in the textbook I might have them do it, depending on the kid and the topic.

We do a little mental math practice every day as well and on Friday's some kind of "fun" math: either a game or some beast academy.

That has worked well for theee kids of different math abilities. Two of mine are ver good at math, one is average but gets bored easily so does best if it's a little hard. When they really need more review I just make a page of problems. That has only happened with a few topics...multi-digit multiplication and long division.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Well, we use MUS, and I can understand being bored with it if it was all we did, but what I LOVE about the program is that it is straight forward, the lessons and worksheets are simple and easy to follow, we do it and get the concepts really well in not very long per day, and that leaves the rest of our math hour for throwing in whatever fun math activities are in my kids current levels. So, MUS is our spine to keep us on track, and then we throw in things like Prodigy, Beast Academy comics, Right Start Math games, Kumon books, fun stuff I find in the curriculum room at our charter, and whatever we want or are interested in or need to focus on. I think it is okay to be bored with some things in school, as long as those boring things are effective and don't monopolize your time. :)

My 7yo dd is bored.  We tried MUS because my engineering dh thought it would be a good fit, tried Saxon, bored. We have gone through nearly all components of Singapore 1A and 1B: textbook, workbook, CWP, IP and EP, but the sheer number of books seem to overwhelm her.  Has anyone taken these components and either staggered them using one book at a time, eliminated some of the books, or dismantled them and created a binder/workbook of your own?  I would love to be able to take the pages and put them in a specific order and have them spiral bound or put them in a binder.  I think this program is a good fit for her, but she feels like she never gets to finish a book, kwim?  Thanks!

Um, no, but I LOVE this idea!!!!!!!! I've used Singapore for years and this sounds like a really good plan. A binder would make it easy to remove pages if your child doesn't need any extra practice, or to add some in-- I'm thinking of all the math supplements I've accumulated over the years but don't end up using much because they end up in a pile of "oh, that could be helpful/fun." (FAN math and Zaccaro, for instance.) Hmm. I think I have a new summer project. Has anyone else done this?

We use only the textbook and workbook too.    

I teach a lesson as instructed in the HIG, work a few problems with them on a whiteboard from the textbook, and then they do the workbook semi-independently to test for understanding.   (I am there if they need me to help.)   After they finish their workbook, I grade it with their help.   They fix any problems they have missed.  

Doing it this way has been more than enough practice for my kids.  

• Like 3

Well, I don't use EP. I think it's overkill unless the child is struggling with concepts. If a child seems overwhelmed, you can drop down to the Workbook and IP. Then use CWP at the end of the year or through the summer for review.

Same. The EP is for students who are struggling and/or need more practice at the same level was the Workbooks. it would be overkill for most.

Bill

Same. The EP is for students who are struggling and/or need more practice at the same level was the Workbooks. it would be overkill for most.

Bill

So, is there a way to incorporate these books in a logical sequence and put them in a binder or have them bound?  EP can be ditched, I don't use the tests either.  She always seems to want more math, and other things i have tried bore her.  I still have textbook, workbook, CWP, and IP if I eliminate tests and EP.  We haven't used the textbook much, I have found it simpler to teach out of the workbook, though mostly she figures it out without me doing anything.

I have read that many do CWP and IP half a year behind.  Is that a valid assumption for many or most?  I am simply trying to eliminate the sheer number of books, not detract from the program or even to stop using it, though I am open to other options.

So, is there a way to incorporate these books in a logical sequence and put them in a binder or have them bound?  EP can be ditched, I don't use the tests either.  She always seems to want more math, and other things i have tried bore her.  I still have textbook, workbook, CWP, and IP if I eliminate tests and EP.  We haven't used the textbook much, I have found it simpler to teach out of the workbook, though mostly she figures it out without me doing anything.

I have read that many do CWP and IP half a year behind.  Is that a valid assumption for many or most?  I am simply trying to eliminate the sheer number of books, not detract from the program or even to stop using it, though I am open to other options.

Personally, I think it is better to teach out of the Textbooks. That is the way the program was designed to be used. The examples are more methodical and it is where teacher/parents and students ideally interact. The Workbooks are designed for independent work.  To me, it is critical to have both sides of the learning process, guided instruction, and self-work.

It is important to remember that the Singapore Model is a"model" and a method. It is easy to fall into traditional "American-style" procedural methods at this age and entirely miss the point. Please excuse the lecturing tone and any false assumptions her, I'm trying to make a general point that I've seen lead to failure over the years when "Singapore" books are used in a way that didn't fit the method.

The CWP and IPs are often used "behind." They tend to be harder problems, and not trying to "sync" them to TB/WB topics provides review. I did not consciously follow a 6 month behind schedule, instead using them as resources that provided the sort of "noodle work" that my kid needed to keep math fun. The basic PM tended to be a little easy for him, and the IPs/CWP helped provide a challenge.

When he showed "boredom" in the regular program (at it happened) I'd pull out IPs, or Zaccaro, or MEP, or (later) Beast Academy. For my child (at least) it was about finding the right balance between the "nuts and bolts" sort of work, and the brain stretching sort of work.  

No right or wrong on this, other than perhaps to use the supplements as a way to increase interest and not to frustrate your student. you'd have a better measure of this than anyone else.

Bill

• Like 1

Singapore is NOT a busy work program.    They publish multiple books so you can customize and give the perfect amount of practice.   The idea is not to work through every problem from every book.  

I would NOT try to put the textbook and workbook together.   I would teach out of the textbook and then assign her pages from the workbook.  

I would attempt to do about a workbook exercise per day.   (Maybe spend 2 days on the review lessons because they are pretty long in the standards version of Singapore)    Then, at the end of a unit or lesson, you could hang out and use the CWP and IP problems as a review to get a deeper understanding....or you could save those for over summer break.   Alternatively, you could just work through one CWP or IP problem on the board each day together as a warm up and give more review.    

Edited by TheAttachedMama

Personally, I think it is better to teach out of the Textbooks. That is the way the program was designed to be used. The examples are more methodical and it is where teacher/parents and students ideally interact. The Workbooks are designed for independent work.  To me, it is critical to have both sides of the learning process, guided instruction, and self-work.

It is important to remember that the Singapore Model is a"model" and a method. It is easy to fall into traditional "American-style" procedural methods at this age and entirely miss the point. Please excuse the lecturing tone and any false assumptions her, I'm trying to make a general point that I've seen lead to failure over the years when "Singapore" books are used in a way that didn't fit the method.

The CWP and IPs are often used "behind." They tend to be harder problems, and not trying to "sync" them to TB/WB topics provides review. I did not consciously follow a 6 month behind schedule, instead using them as resources that provided the sort of "noodle work" that my kid needed to keep math fun. The basic PM tended to be a little easy for him, and the IPs/CWP helped provide a challenge.

When he showed "boredom" in the regular program (at it happened) I'd pull out IPs, or Zaccaro, or MEP, or (later) Beast Academy. For my child (at least) it was about finding the right balance between the "nuts and bolts" sort of work, and the brain stretching sort of work.  

No right or wrong on this, other than perhaps to use the supplements as a way to increase interest and not to frustrate your student. you'd have a better measure of this than anyone else.

Bill

I do understand that teaching out of the textbook is ideal.  She cannot yet read some of the word problems fluently, so the independent work portion is minimal.  The bottom like is, when she (as a 7yo) sees there are so many books for math, she gets a little overwhelmed.  She likes the math, enjoys and even laughs at me because she thinks portions of it are so easy.  I am thrilled with her love for math and honestly have yet to find another program that keeps her engaged.  Essentially, i would like to take the WB, IP, and CWP and have them organized in a fluent manner so that she has ONE book at a time.  Even going from the TB to her (the one I plan to create) WB would be okay.  However, so many books are just too much.  That is the main problem I am trying to conquer.  

Singapore is NOT a busy work program.    They publish multiple books so you can customize and give the perfect amount of practice.   The idea is not to work through every problem from every book.  

I would NOT try to put the textbook and workbook together.   I would teach out of the textbook and then assign her pages from the workbook.  

I would attempt to do about a workbook exercise per day.   (Maybe spend 2 days on the review lessons because they are pretty long in the standards version of Singapore)    Then, at the end of a unit or lesson, you could hang out and use the CWP and IP problems as a review to get a deeper understanding....or you could save those for over summer break.   Alternatively, you could just work through one CWP or IP problem on the board each day together as a warm up and give more review.    

As I stated previously, there is no summer break for us.  We do not put the TB and WB together.  The sheer number of books was just too much for her, so I began teaching directly out of the WB to decrease that number of books.  There is no "board" to work on, as we purposely live in a tiny house.  I am simply trying to cut down the number of books, hopefully by combining them into one binder or a book that I have bound into a spiral format.  I am not trying to eliminate portions of the program.  She loves math and I don't want to curb or stifle that, I just want her to not have so.many.books.!  Thanks for your suggestions!

I do understand that teaching out of the textbook is ideal.  She cannot yet read some of the word problems fluently, so the independent work portion is minimal.  The bottom like is, when she (as a 7yo) sees there are so many books for math, she gets a little overwhelmed.  She likes the math, enjoys and even laughs at me because she thinks portions of it are so easy.  I am thrilled with her love for math and honestly have yet to find another program that keeps her engaged.  Essentially, i would like to take the WB, IP, and CWP and have them organized in a fluent manner so that she has ONE book at a time.  Even going from the TB to her (the one I plan to create) WB would be okay.  However, so many books are just too much.  That is the main problem I am trying to conquer.  

Maybe hide them away, and bring out one pre-chosen item at a time?

At young ages semi-independent might be more like it on the Workbook front. Still highly involved parent/teacher interaction with the Textbook and student-led work with the Workbook is the intended style. And I think that is with good reason with the vast majority of students.

Seeing too many books can be daunting. I'd pre-plan and limit them to one (or maybe two). Personally, I could never master-plan a sequence from materials with the spines removed, as knowing when my kid needed a shift to "cognitive work" wasn't entirely predictable.

I get the pain of many books, but it does make Primary Mathematics a very customizable program.

Bill

+1 on the suggestion to drop EP unless your child is struggling with concepts.

In your situation, I would suggest just the TB and WB. 

If you really like IP, then I would suggest using it a level behind. If you school 5 days a week, maybe do TB/WB 4 days and just IP on a 5th day.

If you really like CWP, perhaps switching to Fan Math Process Skills instead of the CWP? Or if you like CWP, do just a page a day behind where you are in TB and WB. See if doing it a few topics behind or a full level behind works better. Sometimes letting what she is learning "marinate" and looping back with a little more depth is more effective.

• Like 1

If you want permission to hack the WB, CWP, and IP books apart, collate, and then spiral bind or hole punch them to fit your purposes, consider it granted  :laugh:

It sounds like you've identified the problem (too many books) and come up with an idea to solve that (above-mentioned hacking and reordering), and as long as you don't mind losing the resale value of any of the books (we copy problems from the IP and don't actually write in it), I think it would be worth it to try for one semester's worth of books. Things may get tricky with WB pages having one exercise on the front of the page and then a different one on the back, and how to insert the CWP or IP pages you want between those exercises. And I might lean toward the hole punch and binder route, so pages could easily be (re-)reordered, especially as your trying out a new system. 

I'm learning to not be quite so worried about straying off the beaten path, and to try to do what works for us. 

• Like 1

If you want permission to hack the WB, CWP, and IP books apart, collate, and then spiral bind or hole punch them to fit your purposes, consider it granted  :laugh:

It sounds like you've identified the problem (too many books) and come up with an idea to solve that (above-mentioned hacking and reordering), and as long as you don't mind losing the resale value of any of the books (we copy problems from the IP and don't actually write in it), I think it would be worth it to try for one semester's worth of books. Things may get tricky with WB pages having one exercise on the front of the page and then a different one on the back, and how to insert the CWP or IP pages you want between those exercises. And I might lean toward the hole punch and binder route, so pages could easily be (re-)reordered, especially as your trying out a new system. 

I'm learning to not be quite so worried about straying off the beaten path, and to try to do what works for us.

"Permission" is not being asked for. I was hoping someone had already done this and could give me some pointers. After all, Singapore is not a cut-and-dried program. Resale value is not a top priority, as these are the Standards Editions and I will be keeping them. I still have a fe children that may use them.

• Like 1

When I get new books in I photocopy all the pages (except textbook) and then hole punch and file under different tabs in a binder.  Then we can "do the next thing" or I can schedule.  I was getting overwhelmed trying to flip through all the books.  This way I only have to hand over the pages I want DD to do.  

We do the textbook first and then I hand over the assigned pages.  If we need to hang out or I decide we want to dig a bit deeper I just have to flip to the appropriate section of practice pages and pick out the pages I want to do.  When we are ready to move on we can go back to the TB/WB.

Stefanie

• Like 1

We use the textbook and workbook only. Lately, DD has been grabbing for the workbook before I teach the lesson, so I've been letting her go for it if I think it's something she already knows or can figure out easily. We are about to finish the 1st grade curriculum this week. We also use Miquon to present things in a different way (she prefers this one to Singapore). I have not considered any of the additional Singapore books for her at this age. It would be overkill for my DD.

My DD gets bored too but doesn't want to do more hands on math like her brothers. She is a workbook kind of kid. She had a love hate relationship with Singapore monotony so we staggered with Horizon. She did singspore workbook and textbook 1a, then Horizon 1 book 1, then back to singspore 1b and she is now finishing horizon book 2. Sometimes she would bounce back and forth between the two for a bit of change.

She is my head scratching kid. I just haven't found the "just right" for her that I did for her brothers. I am even considering TT3 just to see if she enjoys it more but gets more interactive math while being independent.

Edited by nixpix5

"I was hoping someone had already done this and could give me some pointers.

In the beginning of the year I contemplated purchasing Singapore Math Live access just to have the pre-scheduled weekly assignments like you can see in the sample syllabus: http://www.singaporemathlive.com/try-it-for-free.html

She has the page numbers for WB, IP, and CWP listed for each week.

Knowing I wouldn't have time to watch the videos, in the end I chose to just put a post-it and do-the-next-thing, but $30 might be worth it for a "tried and tested" collation of workbooks.

In the beginning of the year I contemplated purchasing Singapore Math Live access just to have the pre-scheduled weekly assignments like you can see in the sample syllabus: http://www.singaporemathlive.com/try-it-for-free.html

Knowing I wouldn't have time to watch the videos, in the end I chose to just put a post-it and do-the-next-thing, but $30 might be worth it for a "tried and tested" collation of workbooks.

Thanks for this information!  I am going to look into this!

Oh my word, this is PERFECT!!  Okay, as close to perfect as I can get!  Thanks so very much!!!!!!  Affordable, provides help for me if it is needed, AND a schedule, the ability to re-register for additional students in subsequent years for $10, and ALL for a meager $30 annually?  I am so thrilled!!

Excitement too soon.  I use the Standards Editions.  These are for US.  ARGHHHHHH!!!!  Not sure that I am willing to make that switch.

We also school year round and have used Singapore since the beginning. Oldest is just finishing 4B. I use only the teacher guide and the workbook and have been fine with it. In the beginning, we used the text book, too, but I found it was just too much along with the direct instruction I was also doing.

We do school four days a week, and the fourth day is always problem solving. There are plenty of word problems in the workbook to keep us busy. I use a few as examples we do together, and they do a few on their own. They are sometimes in line with the concepts we are currently learning, and sometimes they are review.

Just for perspective, I taught 3-5th grades and feel my kids have a very strong math foundation and ability to solve word problems.

We also school year round and have used Singapore since the beginning. Oldest is just finishing 4B. I use only the teacher guide and the workbook and have been fine with it. In the beginning, we used the text book, too, but I found it was just too much along with the direct instruction I was also doing.

We do school four days a week, and the fourth day is always problem solving. There are plenty of word problems in the workbook to keep us busy. I use a few as examples we do together, and they do a few on their own. They are sometimes in line with the concepts we are currently learning, and sometimes they are review.

Just for perspective, I taught 3-5th grades and feel my kids have a very strong math foundation and ability to solve word problems.

The TB and WB are not enough for her. She will do 8-10 pages in one sitting, unprompted. Instead of accelerating her through those books, I choose to utilize the IP and CWP, which she loves. She begs to do math, not any math, but specifically Singapore. I don't want to quench that, so we go deeper instead of faster. I am looking into adding Beast Academy to her rotation to add some variety, so maybe the difference will make the number of books inconsequential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can beef up any problem by asking a few questions (How do you know? Can you prove it? Can you do it another way?), covering up numbers and making your child draw the relationships (bar models), or having her solve it a different way (check our Dr. Yeap Ban Har for info on that; every day we have two ways to solve it, and on clever days we have three. Is today a clever day?) or prove her thinking using manipulatives. When you start to intervene with those types of questions, you will see that the material in IP and CWP is more than enough to satisfy her intellectual/mathematical thirst. You may want to check out the Enrichment books from Math in Focus, as well. They are packed with fantastic problems. :)

I know you said the number of books is overwhelming, but if you think about the course concept-by-concept instead of problem-by-problem, you will find you get a lot more mileage out of a few problems rather than piling on the volume. Variation, not repetition, is what forms a great, flexible, mathematical thinker. Once you see she gets the WB, move her over to the IP and CWP and chose problems to support flexible thinking rather than "answer getting."

I have two dc who came all the way up through both Singapore math and science (Primary Math at first, then switched to Math in Focus in grade five and rode that through grade 8, and My Pals are Here Science), then used Art of Problem Solving in high school. Even the non "mathy" one is comfortable problem solving and is a logical thinker. You are raising a flexible thinker more than anything else, so don't get too hung up on crossing all Ts and dotting all Is in terms of doing every problem set in the work- and text-books on top of all the IP and CWP. Make her interact with the best problems and learn to persevere.

This article helped me a lot: https://repository.nie.edu.sg/handle/10497/15916

I adapted Dr. Hong's STARtUP scheme for my own students. (I currently teach in a private school.) I will attach it here for you to use. We've used it successfully with students as young as grade 2.

Susan

STARtUP Scheme - Large.pdf