What's with the ads?

#51 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Roman Roads Media is excellent! My son took Good Books 1 and is currently enrolled in Good Books 2. They are reading great literature, and have awesome book discussions. The students are also required to write papers. In 1 they wrote fiction. In 2 they are writing essays. Mr. Nance is so great! My only complaint is that Mr. Nance had a family emergency and had to leave for the rest of the semester. The current teacher is just filling in. But hopefully Mr. Nance will return to teaching. But these classes have been so good!

Edited by scrapbabe, 06 March 2017 - 10:29 AM.

• SeaConquest and OneStepAtATime like this

#52 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

Bumping and reserving another spot for an additional review. 

Hoping others will offer additional options or review listed ones.  Anyone know anything specifically about FundaFundaAcademy?

• RootAnn likes this

#53 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6720 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

I saw on another thread that Bright Ideas Press is offering some online classes. I'd never seen their online academy before, but it should be added to the list. It looks like they offer middle school & high school classes. Based on what they have listed, I wonder if many of their teachers came from Landry?

Edited to add: I've poked around & those are definitely some of the same offerings Landry had, so I'm confident in saying that many of the previous Landry teachers have landed at BIP. They have a Raspberry Pi class; the Vet classes, Horse stuff, Art, the Three Languages class, etc. are all there.

Edited to change it to a simpler link.

Edited by RootAnn, 10 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

• counselinggirl and OneStepAtATime like this

#54 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I saw on another thread that Bright Ideas Press is offering some online classes. I'd never seen their online academy before, but it should be added to the list. It looks like they offer middle school & high school classes. Based on what they have listed, I wonder if many of their teachers came from Landry?

Edited to add: I've poked around & those are definitely some of the same offerings Landry had, so I'm confident in saying that many of the previous Landry teachers have landed at BIP. They have a Raspberry Pi class; the Vet classes, Horse stuff, Art, the Three Languages class, etc. are all there.

Every time I try to access their site, whether from the link you provided or from a google search, as soon as I go to the classes from the main page it wigs out my computer and says it is not a secure site.  It sets off all my security software.  I will dig into this deeper but it may take a bit.  Got other projects going.  Thanks for the heads up, though.  I did not know they were offering on-line classes.

• RootAnn likes this

#55 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I got an email from Wilson Hill when I made an inquiry and I thought this information might be useful to someone considering them. I would puffy heart love people to post reviews.  

I am happy to say that we are seeking accreditation.  We are entering our fourth academic year and it is my understanding that the accreditation process takes some time, but that is definitely in the works.  We do currently offer several AP courses as well.

We offer a diploma to any student who meets our graduation requirements, either through transfer credits or courses taken at WHA.   A list of graduation requirements may be found along with the recommended courses of study under Academics.  

We accept most courses from schools with courses we have reviewed and found to be satisfactory.  In the case of courses we are not familiar with, we ask students/parents to provide additional information such as a syllabus, textbook, and samples of work.  In all cases we need a transcript showing the course work and grades  earned.  In the absence of a transcript, an official report card will suffice.  Each student is handled on a case-by-case basis.   We want to assist students in putting their best foot forward for the next stage of their education.

We also offer transcripts. Our transcript will show weighted and unweighted GPA’s for WHA courses.  All other courses will be listed as transfer courses, and the grades will not be included in their WHA GPA. 

Edited by cintinative, 19 March 2017 - 06:46 PM.

• OneStepAtATime likes this

#56 MarkT

MarkT

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

this seems like affordable option:

http://academy.brigh...-paced-classes/

#57 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

Will try to update this evening or this weekend.  Bumping to remind me and in case anyone is searching for on-line options...

#58 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18374 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Can we get this pinned now so I don't lose it?

• OneStepAtATime and texasmom33 like this

#59 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18374 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

I found this older list someone made, don't know if there is anything on there that is still active but no on the current list:

http://forums.welltr...online-classes/

#60 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

I found this older list someone made, don't know if there is anything on there that is still active but no on the current list:

http://forums.welltr...online-classes/

I will try to find time to sort through the links, maybe tomorrow or Tuesday but no guarantees.  Leaving town in a few days.  

• maize likes this

#61 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

Was out of town and now I'm sick but I will try to get to that list later.  Bumping in case anyone is needing this.

• maize likes this

#62 MarkT

MarkT

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

"Phil Four (Middle school and High School math plus Computer Science)"

Phil Four has Physics classes

#63 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6720 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:05 AM

Bumping & a request:

Please add "myfunscience.com" to the list. I think some Landry teachers landed there. It looks like they offer mostly STEM classes. I'd love to see a review.

#64 rachel_rfwp

rachel_rfwp

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

The new Royal Fireworks Online Learning Community will be launched in the next few days.  As well as a full range of Michael Clay Thompson English Language Arts courses, we are offering Philosophy for Kids: Justice, Faith and Free Will with Dr. Sharon Kaye; Conversational Spanish; A "Fairly Creative Writing" class with Aubrey Lively; an Introduction to Minerals and Rocks, the history of African Slavery and the Atlantic Slave Trade...and much more.  If you sign up for news we will contact you direct.

#65 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 23 April 2017 - 10:13 AM.

#66 MarkT

MarkT

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Math (pre-algebra through pre-calculus)

Mr. D Math (Dennis DiNoia)

https://mrdmath.com/

"The course is a mastery based approach.  There are spiral reviews throughout the course twice per chapter starting at chapter 2. When students reach high school level math, the reviews are also built into the new content as students are applying previously learned concepts in the new content.  During a lesson, the instruction both during the live class session or the pre-recorded video for each section reviews anything a student needs for that new lesson.

Mr D Math review here as well:

http://blessedlybusy...ing-homeschool/

Edited by MarkT, 22 April 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#67 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3816 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:24 AM

DD11 has taken online classes from Athena's and Lukeion.  Athena's was great for interest and discussion with other kids, but not as well organized or demanding as Lukeion.

The Lukeion class she's taking now (Barbarian Digrammarian) has been excellent.  Instruction is clear and interactive, without getting bogged down in student discussion (not a lot to discuss with grammar anyway, really).  Occasionally (like this week b/c of the convention) they have a recorded session instead of live.  When she does a recorded session her quiz grade for that week is usually 4-5% lower;  I think that is the value of the interactive component, where the teacher asks questions and then explains the answers, etc.  Expectations are clearly communicated and they run a tight ship.  Content is thorough.  Overall we just really really like them.

• RootAnn and OneStepAtATime like this

#68 lexi

lexi

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2151 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

I would like to add Bridgeway Academy. 

My daughter is going to do one of their classes this upcoming school year. They offer trimester, semester, and year-long classes. They only offer the shorter classes for elementary aged kids but have year-long classes for middle school and up. 

#69 OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

I didn't see Ray Leven's classes listed anywhere.  https://sites.google...learningonline/

Here is a review for his class and for Sr. Gamache's class at la Clase Divertida.

Senor Leven's classes are extremely organized, efficient and well-thought out.  Class time is used to introduce new concepts and to practice them.  Classes meet for one hour a week and are small, about 5 students, and highly interactive. There are online computerized assignments through the Vista website as well as written assignments, which are quickly and meticulously graded by Señor Leven.  This class is for bright, self-motivated students who either work hard or pick up the language easily, IMO.  The expectation level is high.  My dd has taken Spanish 2, 3, and 4 with Sr. Leven and will take AP Spanish with him next year through PAHS.  She just took a Spanish SAT Subject practice test to see how she would do and she scored a 740 on the first try, so I feel he has given her a great foundation.  I do know there are others out there who have not meshed with his teaching style and who have found that the work takes them many hours a week.  We have never found him to be anything but kind and gracious and my dd has found the workload to be light, about 2-3 hours a week, which is what he advertises.  I just want to mention that so that anyone interested in the class can do their own research and decide whether they think Ray's class would be a good fit for their child.

My son has done Spanish 1, 2 and 3 with Senor Gamache.  This class offers 3 hours a week of class time, but there is a lot of time spent explaining assignments, giving directions, taking quizzes and taking care of administrative tasks.  Class size is about 20 students for Spanish 1 and 2, but I believe there were only 8 students in the Spanish 3 class this  year.  Most of the assignments are computer-based through the Vistas website.  Some of them are automatically graded by the computer and others are graded personally by Sr. Gamache.  The workload can be high, but varies from week to week.  There is an occasional assignment outside of the Vista assignments, like cooking a Spanish dish or making a family tree.  This class has been thorough and challenging for my ds.  Sr. Gamache genuinely seems to care about his students.  The main complaint I have is that he can be very disorganized, though that seems like it has improved this year.  I'm not sure if that's because my son understands more of what to expect from him or if Sr. Gamache himself has actually improved in this area.  Overall, I would say this class has given my son a good foundation in Spanish and I think ds will be able to get a high enough score on the SAT Subject Test to meet the foreign language requirement at the school he is interested in.  

Edited by OnMyOwn, 23 April 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#70 chiefcookandbottlewasher

chiefcookandbottlewasher

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the Lukeion review. I'm signing up my son for Witty Wordsmith and Barbarian Diagrammarian next year—great to hear the classes are worth the time and $!

Bridgeway looks interesting and is on my radar as well.

#71 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

I saw that Dr. Wile is teaching Honors Bio, Honors Chem and Honors Physics live online this year.

http://www.bereanbui...nlineClass.html

Also Gifted Homeschoolers Forum offers online classes. http://giftedhomesch...org/ghf-online/

I'm not sure if I missed these somewhere on the master list, I apologize if I am repetitive. These are providers that I have heard about.

Lively Latin https://www.livelyla...h-the-magistra/

Escondido Tutorials - online Great Books classes. http://www.gbt.org/

Intersect University - online coding classes for students http://www.intersect....com/index.html

Scout - University of California - https://www.ucscout.org

Silicon Valley High School http://www.svhs.co/

Homeschool with Minecraft http://www.homeschoo...m/services.html

Next Level Homeschool http://nextlevelhomeschool.com/

Online Scribblers - writing classes http://www.sandiegos...s.com/home.html

Edited by calbear, 24 April 2017 - 12:07 AM.

• RootAnn, OneStepAtATime and chiefcookandbottlewasher like this

#72 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

Oh yes, Linda Hobar (Mystery of History) moved her MOH classes over to Bright Ideas Press.

• RootAnn likes this

#73 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

http://www.languagecityacademy.com/

They have French and Spanish classes. I believe Chinese will be added at some point. I think this guy just left onlineg3 to start this.

• RootAnn likes this

#74 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Thank you for the support!  I'm sure other parents will appreciate it.   :)

If ANYONE has reviews for any on-line provider PLEASE add them.  The list I'm trying to create and update will hopefully be helpful but I think a lot of people would like concrete reviews of specific classes/providers.  If you have a student that has taken a class on-line PLEASE consider providing a review.  Thanks in advance.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 23 May 2017 - 10:30 AM.

• RootAnn likes this

#75 overpeople

overpeople

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Is Veritas Press listed?  I did not see it.

They have both self-paced classes and live online classes.

#76 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6720 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Is Veritas Press listed?  I did not see it.

They have both self-paced classes and live online classes.

Yep. It is in the "elementary through high school" class list - right above Wilson Hill. If you have a review of one or more of VP's live classes, please post it.

#77 smartise

smartise

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

I teach art classes online at www.blossomingartists.com.  I utilize a live feed so participants can all interact with one another and get feedback as they are working.  Classes include art history, art vocabulary, and various mediums/techniques are used!

#78 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Reserved for review

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 23 May 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• RootAnn likes this

#79 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6720 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

After the school year ends, I will try to add reviews for Wilson Hill Academy's Fundamentals of Expository Writing and Honors Composition (named will be changed next year to Fundamentals of Academic Writing).

For now, I wanted to add a new online course site:  Integritas Academy. It is being started by Mrs. Lange who has taught at Veritas Press & Wilson Hill (up through this year). She's branching out. She'll have a 7th-9th grade Intro to Lit Analysis class, a 9th/10th grade Lit/Comp 1 class, a spelling class (4th & up), and a Constitution/Modern History class (10th-12th).

Her Intro to Persuasive Writing Through Literature class looks like it has similar goals to the Fundamentals of Expository Writing class that my dd#2 took with her this year. I would call it a "Intro to Lit Analysis" class. I can't give a review on it since it will be different than FOEW, but I can tell you that Mrs. Lange is a phenomenal teacher who has lots of patience and lots of high expectations, but who gears feedback to each individual student at the level they need to get better. She comments, sometimes line-by-line, on essays and even smaller assignments, in order to help specifically with things your kid is struggling with.

The price is $$$$ for each class.

Edited to add a link to my review of the two WHA classes.

Edited by RootAnn, 08 July 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• crazyforlatin, raristy, SeaConquest and 1 other like this

#80 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

Reserved for review

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 23 May 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#81 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:37 PM

I wanted to pop in with a final review of Schola Tutorial's Great Books I (The Greeks). 

My review as a parent:

I would definitely recommend this class with zero reservations, to any parent considering it for their teen. It was worth every. last. dime. Wes Callihan is a highly engaging teacher. He brought ever piece of literature alive for my 9th grader and developed a love of Classic Greek Literature in her that I did not think possible.

The reading pace was realistic and the discussions were lively. This has been, hands down, my daughter's favorite class (of any school) of all time. Mr. Callihan is an extremely kind person and it shows through in everything he does- from class lectures to emails. (He is very responsive to email, btw, which I have found to not always be the case with online courses.) My daughter also really enjoyed the discussions with other students during the live classes.  My understanding is next year this course will cut some of the readings to be able to delve deeper into some of the works. I think that will work well as it's a LOT that they cover and poetry was cut short this year to fit it all in. To note: I did not pay for grading services offered by Roman Roads, so I cannot comment on that aspect. My daughter answered the Student Book questions each week and I checked them. I also administered the tests and any writing assigned. Two thumbs up. 

My daughter's review as a student: 

I would definitely recommend this class. Mr. Callihan is very detailed. He breaks the material down and makes it understandable for just about anyone. He can explain what we read about very well, brings out aspects we wouldn't have otherwise realized, and is very polite and well spoken. The reading pace was pretty good, but people who hate to read should definitely not join this class. It's a lot of reading. The questions in the Student Book can be difficult, but are doable- and Mr. Callihan always reviews them in class. I enjoyed getting to discuss with other students and hope to keep in touch with people from my class. Five stars- there aren't enough stars for this class!  I plan on taking his courses throughout high school and my Mom has even signed up for one herself in the fall. Take the class, you'll love it! 

• RootAnn, maize, SeaConquest and 1 other like this

#82 bluejay

bluejay

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:55 PM

Anybody tried Crash Course Kids?   I like the original Crash Course and this seems to be a version for younger students.

#83 Sebastian (a lady)

Sebastian (a lady)

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12459 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

High School history and culture courses from Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education for grades 10-12.

Reischauer Scholars Program - Japan   I think the application is open once a year for around 3 weeks to fill both of the year's one semester long classes.  Application is competitive and students may need to apply more than once.

Sejong Korean Scholars Program   Also a competitive application.  I think this program may only be offered once a year.  

The cost of the program has varied over the years, depending on the outside funding that supports the programs.  Both courses are conducted in English.  

#84 Wendy Inman

Wendy Inman

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

A plug for CLRC latin.. my son just finished up Latin 1. It was such a success. The classes were very organized and really taught him how to learn.

They have a significant discount if you sign up before the end of may! http://clrconline.com/latin/

#85 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

Everything from this post up to the first post should now be updated and a post link provided.  If you see any errors, or have suggestions on a better way to do this, feel free to let me know.  :)

As all additions continue to be added I will "like" the post so that you know they were added.  Anyone who can give reviews PLEASE do so.  I know other parents will really appreciate not just having a list but getting feedback from those who have BTDT.

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 23 May 2017 - 10:32 AM.

#86 Hjfulg

Hjfulg

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Bumping and reserving another spot for an additional review.

Hoping others will offer additional options or review listed ones. Anyone know anything specifically about FundaFundaAcademy?

#87 Hjfulg

Hjfulg

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Yes! My son took the geography class and found it so interesting and engaging. He now wants to pick a career that will allow him to work remotely from many of the places he studied. I even watched many of the videos with him and was challenged to keep up! Never a dull moment journeying around the world virtually. He is signing up for the US History class next year and his sister will do Earth Science on FundaFunda. If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

#88 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18374 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

Yay! You got it pinned!

#89 MarkT

MarkT

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

The 50 Best Online High School Diplomas

https://thebestschoo...ploma-programs/

#90 MarkT

MarkT

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

ALGEBRA I

SAS Algebra 1 Course (free)
https://www.curricul...rtal/#info/1713

#91 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6720 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Review of Wilson Hill Academy - Fundamentals of Expository Writing

Fundamentals of Expository Writing is geared toward 8th graders or high-achieving 7th graders. When my dd#2 took it, it was taught by Mrs. Lange. An extremely experienced teacher and long-time (now retired) homeschooling mom, Mrs. Lange made classtime a fun learning experience each time they met. The class was mainly focused on learning to analyze literature both through discussion and writing. The class starts off very gently with a focus on writing good paragraphs with a highly structured format. However, it ramps up over the first semester and the kids eventually write six 1-3 page essays over the year. The class teaches MLA citation, literary terms, essay structure & format, and provides on-going teaching/review of frequent-grammar-and-usage mistakes (their/there/they're, its/it's, than/then, effects/affects, hear/here, all right, etc.). There is homework after every class - usually reading & preparing to answer discussion questions, but also sometimes posts on the discussion board or a paragraph to turn in.

I feel like the class could have been a non-honors freshman level class or a honors level 8th grade class. They covered several short stories from the Little Worlds Collection, The Odyssey by Homer (Fagles translation), select Canterbury Tales (Coghill translation), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. DD#2 is a strong writer, but the class challenged her and improved her analysis & writing level. 

Mrs. Lange kept strong control over the chat box and kept a quick pace in the class, but also provided humor and fun elements - like class Jeopardy games to review at the end of a literary work and some videos which enriched the kids' understanding (especially helpful for Julius Caesar). While Mrs. Lange isn't teaching at Wilson Hill (but has started her own private classes), the class itself should be a good investment if you are looking for an introduction to literary analysis for an 8th or 9th grade student. If you want an amazing teacher, check out Mrs. Lange's (pricey) classes. If you have questions, email her through the website. She's incredibly helpful and I can't say enough good things about her as a teacher.

Review of Wilson Hill Academy - Fundamentals of Academic Writing (called Honors Composition when dd#1 took it)

The title, Honors Composition, was misleading, and I'm glad that WHA has chosen to rename it, "Fundamentals of Academic Writing." WHA considers a separate writing class to be optional once high school is reached, as they include writing (but not the writing instruction) in their worldview classes (called The Great Conversation). However, they do recognize that some kids need a little more instruction on how to write a high school level paper, so they offer this class. Mrs. Starlet Baker teaches the class and she runs an enthusiastic & somewhat scattered classroom. She encourages kids to use the chatbox and be on their webcams during class. She often separates the kids into breakout rooms to practice what she's teaching. They sometimes work together on a single piece to present to the rest of the class, but other times have to work on their own pieces right next to two or three other kids. They can see each other's work - noticing where they differ or where someone else has done something much differently than them.

DD#1 has always been a writing-phobic child, so I wanted this class to cover the basics of a good essay while making her write-write-write. I think the class only ended up writing four 1-3 page essays over the whole year (which is why 'Honors' seemed a misnomer to me), but they did cover rhetoric devices, informal logical arguments, and common usage errors. If you have a kid who already knows how to write, this might not be the class for them.

I was frustrated with the class the whole first semester as there didn't seem to be a plan, a structure, an over-arching goal to all the little bits and pieces that Mrs. Baker was teaching them. (I got lost in the trees looking at individual branches & flowers.) However, my DD enjoyed the actual classroom, the camaraderie of the other students, and she was actually WRITING (often in the in-class workshops), so I sat back and waited. My opinion on the class changed as the second semester got going and I could start to see all these little things pulling together both in DD's writing and in the classroom teaching. The real eye-opener was DD's greater understanding of the usage sections on the English portion of the April ACT. The things she was learning were being understood and applied. I quit my complaining.

While DD#1 still doesn't like to write, she has more confidence in what she puts out. I was confident enough in what she learned & did as a result of this class that I actually contemplated signing her up for an AP Lit or Language class in the fall. Ultimately, I decided to go a different direction, but the class did improve her knowledge & writing skills.

If your kid is easily distractible, already a good writer, or wants a rigorous writing class, this is not the one for you. If you are looking for something that covers a lot of bases from an essay-format perspective, but doesn't require a lot of time outside of class, this might be a good one to look at.

• TarynB, cintinative, OneStepAtATime and 1 other like this

#92 tonyquart

tonyquart

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for posting this list. I will check through it right away.  :thumbup:

#93 renaissancemom

renaissancemom

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

Can anyone who has used Roman Roads Media for classes please message me about your experience....or just reply to this?   Many, many thanks!

Ro Laberee

#94 scrapbabe

scrapbabe

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

Can anyone who has used Roman Roads Media for classes please message me about your experience....or just reply to this? Many, many thanks!

Ro Laberee

We've taken classes from Roman Roads.

Edited by scrapbabe, 30 July 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#95 Brenda Barnett

Brenda Barnett

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

High School Math Live offers live and interactive online instruction. Classes meet twice a week for 1.5 hours each. Quizzes are emailed to parents on Wednesday, completed by student - using paper/pencil and showing all work, and returned (via scan/picture) by Friday morning. Grades and feedback are sent by Friday afternoon. Excellent instruction, weekly accountability, and individualized feedback - from the comfort of your home! Pre-Algebra through AP® Calculus AB

#96 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32292 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Anyone have any feedback from last year's classes or maybe this summer?  I will be posting mine and updating the list at some point.

Edited by OneStepAtATime, 29 August 2017 - 04:56 AM.

#97 3andme

3andme

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

You can add Wasko Lit for Literature. They offer a 4 year Great Books type program. The same organization WriteatHome also offers writing instruction online.