Menu

frustrated. landlords and others weigh in please

zimom

Long story short, we live between two states.  Husband and older kids in one state 100% of the time.  Myself and youngest child live in another state about 90% of the time.  My daughter and I have lived in an apartment now for the last year in a wonderful master planned community.  We love the neighborhood, we don't love living in an apartment complex.  We are trying to find one of the garage apartments over one of the single family homes.

Here is the problem, my daughter has a service dog and most are 'no pets'.  If you are a landlord, you know this does not apply to service dogs (I think even in a garage apartment home).  HOWEVER, since this is someone's home, I want this to be a positive experience for both parties.  I have found two garage apartments that seemed to meet our needs.  The first landlord/homeowner shot me down immediately when I brought up my daughter's dog.  But I could tell it wasn't going to be a good fit anyway.

Apartment two...  I guess you could say she has gently turned me town and I'm frustrated.  Of course, the interactions are via text and/or email.  How can I be upfront about the dog but get the prospective landlord/homeowner to give me a shot to talk to me more so they can learn more about us to see the dog really isn't an issue, that we would make great tenants???   

Of course my husband thinks I shouldn't mention the dog at all until MUCH further into the process.  

Long story short, we live between two states.  Husband and older kids in one state 100% of the time.  Myself and youngest child live in another state about 90% of the time.  My daughter and I have lived in an apartment now for the last year in a wonderful master planned community.  We love the neighborhood, we don't love living in an apartment complex.  We are trying to find one of the garage apartments over one of the single family homes.

Here is the problem, my daughter has a service dog and most are 'no pets'.  If you are a landlord, you know this does not apply to service dogs (I think even in a garage apartment home).  HOWEVER, since this is someone's home, I want this to be a positive experience for both parties.  I have found two garage apartments that seemed to meet our needs.  The first landlord/homeowner shot me down immediately when I brought up my daughter's dog.  But I could tell it wasn't going to be a good fit anyway.

Apartment two...  I guess you could say she has gently turned me town and I'm frustrated.  Of course, the interactions are via text and/or email.  How can I be upfront about the dog but get the prospective landlord/homeowner to give me a shot to talk to me more so they can learn more about us to see the dog really isn't an issue, that we would make great tenants???   

Of course my husband thinks I shouldn't mention the dog at all until MUCH further into the process.  

If it was a commercial building, I would agree about waiting to notify about the dog.

Since it is someones home, definitely be upfront about the service dog, and just know that it will be harder to find a place.  You can just not say anything at all, but then you risk the landlord finding a reason to break the lease and you can be looking for another place before you expect to.  

I know it is illegal for them to discriminate, but it is also someones home and once a pet lives there, it will never be a 'pet free' rental again.   Even the very best trained dogs shed, have odors, and leave dander. For someone who is allergic, that is a problem.  People can clean up dog poo out of the yard, but not dog pee (which can damage grass).   

You may ask a previous landlord to write you a letter of reference. And I would offer to make the cleaning deposit non-refundable to make sure the landlord feels they have enough money to get the carpets cleaned.  Or even offer to bump up the deposit as an incentive to take your family.

Sorry, it sucks but while the pet is legally allowed to be there....it isn't nice to force a dog on a landlord.  

I would make a point to let them know what service the dog provides and if it is a cerrtified pet though a program.  Sooo many people have 'companion animals' now that it is really tainting the field for people with legitimate service animals. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 11

Thanks Tap.  Those are all great ideas which I will do, IF I can get that far.   I told her that I would be happy to talk to her about what we can do to make sure the dog made the minimum impact.  

Again, I don't feel right not mentioning the dog upfront as that's just not the type of person I am.  But I want them to give me a chance!  Funny thing is that this is the most dog friendly neighborhood I have ever seen.   I do understand someone having a pet free rental, I just hope they will talk to me to see how this isn't a typical 'pet'.  We certainly have had enough conversations on here discussing the differences between fake service dogs, emotional support animals, etc.   Her dog comes from the largest service dog organization in the country and is just an amazing dog.  

I would either follow Jean's suggestion or not bring up the service animal until later in the process. While I understand the concern that landlords have about allowing an animal to live in their rental, your daughter needs to find a place to live. No pets does not equal no service animals.

Pet owners' choice to have a pet results in limited renting options. Your daughter has no choice and therefore I don't think her options should be limited. This is a legal contract, not a favor on either side.

• Like 3

What breed of dog is it? 

Landlords risk losing insurance for certain breeds so this is relevant.

• Like 1

I am violently allergic to dogs, to the point where being around some of them makes my throat to start to close up.  Fortunately I can control this with Allegra, but I would never want to allow any place that I owned to have a dog inside, because it could ruin it forever *for me*.  We have a single family home that we rent out, and we used to write 'approved pets extra' in our listing.  We would ask for a larger deposit and a little more rent for a family with a dog or cat.  But now that I have gotten so sensitive, we are a 'no pets' landlord even there, because it's our fallback home if we ever get in real financial trouble--for complicated reasons related to our local tax code, we could live there far more cheaply than in our current home, even though our current home is much smaller.  It has been over 10 years since there was a pet in that house, but I know that if we moved in I'd have to have all the carpets replaced or I couldn't live there.  That's how serious a dog allergy can be, FWIW.

I'm very sympathetic to your situation, OP, but until they start making one of the nonallergenic breeds the service dog default, these conflicts are going to arise and are going to be pretty hard to resolve.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

I would interpret 'no pets' as 'no domesticated animals'. From an allergy and business perspective there is zero difference.

I would pursue pushing a service animal on a no pets home as far as you are willing to go to litigation to enforce that right . It's not fair but it's the way it is.

I am a landlord. We do allow pets for extra $$. This does cut off a good portion of potential tenants.

I am violently allergic to dogs, to the point where being around some of them makes my throat to start to close up.  Fortunately I can control this with Allegra, but I would never want to allow any place that I owned to have a dog inside, because it could ruin it forever *for me*.  We have a single family home that we rent out, and we used to write 'approved pets extra' in our listing.  We would ask for a larger deposit and a little more rent for a family with a dog or cat.  But now that I have gotten so sensitive, we are a 'no pets' landlord even there, because it's our fallback home if we ever get in real financial trouble--for complicated reasons related to our local tax code, we could live there far more cheaply than in our current home, even though our current home is much smaller.  It has been over 10 years since there was a pet in that house, but I know that if we moved in I'd have to have all the carpets replaced or I couldn't live there.  That's how serious a dog allergy can be, FWIW.

I'm very sympathetic to your situation, OP, but until they start making one of the nonallergenic breeds the service dog default, these conflicts are going to arise and are going to be pretty hard to resolve.

Carol,

I totally understand this and in this situation would not want to live in your home.  I respect your situation.  

• Like 2

I would interpret 'no pets' as 'no domesticated animals'. From an allergy and business perspective there is zero difference.

I would pursue pushing a service animal on a no pets home as far as you are willing to go to litigation to enforce that right . It's not fair but it's the way it is.

I am a landlord. We do allow pets for extra $$. This does cut off a good portion of potential tenants.

Again, I have no intention of pushing the issue in somewhere we really aren't wanted.  I want this to be a positive situation.  My husband is an attorney.  I told the homeowner that we were professionals.  I deliberately left out he was an attorney as I in no way wanted her to think I was someone that would pursue this legally, I just want us to find somewhere to live, but many don't realize how highly trained MANY service dogs can be.  

• Like 1

Again, I have no intention of pushing the issue in somewhere we really aren't wanted.  I want this to be a positive situation.  My husband is an attorney.  I told the homeowner that we were professionals.  I deliberately left out he was an attorney as I in no way wanted her to think I was someone that would pursue this legally, I just want us to find somewhere to live, but many don't realize how highly trained MANY service dogs can be.  

What is the breed of the dog?

Whenever someone leaves that out when pursuing a rental, it is my experience that it is  always bad news. 

People tend to say things like, "I have a 10 pound little Poodle named Muffin", not "I have a dog" if it is something a landlord will find acceptable.

If it is a pit, it is going to be difficult to find a place to live.  

Again, I have no intention of pushing the issue in somewhere we really aren't wanted. I want this to be a positive situation. My husband is an attorney. I told the homeowner that we were professionals. I deliberately left out he was an attorney as I in no way wanted her to think I was someone that would pursue this legally, I just want us to find somewhere to live, but many don't realize how highly trained MANY service dogs can be.

It's not behavior. It's fur / allergies. Some people, due to allergies, regard dog fur as negatively as most people regard cigarette smoke. If I was at a hotel and they had only 'smoking allowed' rooms available , I would drive away to the next hotel - know what I mean?

I respect how you're going about this. It's really not fair that it's an issue at all.

I think it will be a growing concern in the future due to the new prevalence of therapy dogs . Whose presence , I believe, are not protected like service dogs .... but that may just change within the next decade.

• Like 3

Sounds like it mostly hinges on whether or not the landlord doesn't want the animals in the house due to potential allery issues or due to untrained animals.

If the landlord doesn't want the animal in the house because then the house can't be rented to people with allergies, there's nothing you can do. (ETA: Per a correction below, that's not true. Legally they have to take a service dog, but the OP doesn't want to have to force someone to do that.)

If the landlord just doesn't want an untrained animal causing damage, then you could probably convince that person to let you rent there. But then again, most people know that service animals are highly trained and not going to chew things. If they're still saying no when you explain it's a service animal, then they probably fall into the first category

Can you ask the owner why they don't want animals up front? Then you don't waste your time with allergy people.

Edited by Garga

What type of dog is it? You could reach out to the service dog group you used and the breed group via AKC and reputable breed-specific rescues to see if they have any contacts to help you. With social media these days, they can put an ISO on a large FB group or whatever format they use and hopefully find a contact. 

• Like 1

Sounds like it mostly hinges on whether or not the landlord doesn't want the animals in the house due to potential allery issues or due to untrained animals.

If the landlord doesn't want the animal in the house because then the house can't be rented to people with allergies, there's nothing you can do.

If the landlord just doesn't want an untrained animal causing damage, then you could probably convince that person to let you rent there. But then again, most people know that service animals are highly trained and not going to chew things. If they're still saying no when you explain it's a service animal, then they probably fall into the first category

Can you ask the owner why they don't want animals up front? Then you don't waste your time with allergy people.

It is not true that there is nothing she can do if owner doesn't want animals due to allergies unless owner lives there, though it does sound as if this particular OP will be sensitive to that.

Owners are required to take legitimate service animals regardless of allergies and regardless of it being no-pet housing, assuming applicant qualifies in other ways.  

It is not true that there is nothing she can do if owner doesn't want animals due to allergies unless owner lives there, though it does sound as if this particular OP will be sensitive to that.

Owners are required to take legitimate service animals regardless of allergies and regardless of it being no-pet housing, assuming applicant qualifies in other ways.

This (http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/460) says that private landlords (owning no more than three single family homes) or where the landlord might live in a unit with four or fewer units are exempt from the Fair Housing Act of 1988. Which I would interpret that those owners DON'T have to rent to someone with a service animal.

• Like 5

As a landlord (we own a double, live in the downstairs and rent out the upstairs) "no pets" includes service dogs.  Being a landlord/owner who lives in a building which contains four or fewer rental units allows me to be exempt from the Fair Housing Act which means, sorry, no pets...at all.

ETA:  As a landlord, my honest advice would be to seek out an apartment that is pet friendly..even if it means seeking outside of your desired area.  If you are left with no choice and must apply at a rental with a "no pets" stipulation then I would be up front and honest about your situation early on as opposed to waiting until later in the process to spring it on them. In certain circumstances, yes, you can always pull the Fair Housing Act card but I can't imagine most landlords would be happy to be forced into allowing an animal in their rental if they specifically requested none.  It doesn't sound like a productive  way to start off a renter/landlord relationship for either party involved.

Edited by JennSnow
  • Like 2

As a landlord (we own a double, live in the downstairs and rent out the upstairs) "no pets" includes service dogs.  Being a landlord/owner who lives in a building which contains four or fewer rental units allows me to be exempt from the Fair Housing Act which means, sorry, no pets...at all.

Thanks for this information.  As I stated upthread, I wasn't sure if the fair housing act applied for garage apartments, I appreciate your letting me know.   As I have also said, I definitely do NOT want to be somewhere we are not wanted when we are talking about on someone's property (although most of these garage properties are separate buildings, FYI, not directly attached to the homes), just wanting advice on the best way to get someone to at least give me a chance to talk to them.  I will remain up front with them about her dog.  

It looks like we might be heading for a second year in the complex since we are running out of time before the renewal is due.  

This (http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/460) says that private landlords (owning no more than three single family homes) or where the landlord might live in a unit with four or fewer units are exempt from the Fair Housing Act of 1988. Which I would interpret that those owners DON'T have to rent to someone with a service animal.

I know.  Most landlords recommend following the Fair Housing Act anyway, even if you do own only 3 or fewer units, in order to eliminate the possibility of becoming a test case. 

Living on the premises will certainly create a stronger argument, in the case of allergies.