Menu

I'm a lightweight, going out for cockatials - Help

Alexigail

Hi, everyone!  I'm very excited to be seeing an old friend this evening.  We're meant to be going out for drinks. My problem is that I tend towards low blood sugar and don't drink very often.  I would like to have a cocktail that won't leave me silly.  Does anyone know of any that are lowish in alcohol content?  In my younger days I could drink a vodka gimlet but I think that would leave me absolutely senseless these days. 

By the way, I'm not embarrassed or anything, my friend won't care if I drink or not but I thought a cocktail and appetizers would be fun for this mom's night out. I'm going to switch to club soda afterwards.

Tell me your favorites!

I'm the girl who gets a buzz (and a hangover) from kombucha, so maybe I can help. :ack2:

How about a wine spritzer (diluted wine) and only drink half of it?

Or, order the vodka gimlet with half the alcohol (ask for a half shot of vodka, and watch the bartender while she makes it.

Order a light beer, and drink it very slowly. At the slightest buzz, stop drinking. O'Doul's has no alcohol, so that's another option.

Whatever you order, make sure to eat before or while you are drinking. Food slows the absorption of alcohol.

I used to order frozen pina coladas made with ice cream. I would ask for half the alcohol, and the ice cream (food) helped slow down digestion of the alcohol.

If it's a service-oriented place and the server isn't swamped, you could always ask for drink suggestions that are low in alcohol. Servers are usually very happy to help their customers stay sober.

Good luck, and have fun! :party:

• Like 3

Vodka, club soda, splash of cranberry juice (ask for half the vodka)

Some places will let you order a half glass of wine, or let you choose how many ounces you would like in your drink

I usually nurse a glass of wine and have a glass of water going. By the end of the evening, I've usually had most of 1 glass of wine and 3 glasses of water

• Like 2

Yes, wine spritzer. Half wine, half soda water or whatever. 

Otherwise, yes, something with ice cream in it. And you can ask to go light on the alcohol. 

Or get a glass of wine, but alternate your sips with sips of water, and eat something before you drink. 

• Like 1

Yep, I had a wine spritzer last night.  Perfect.

Actually back in the '90s when I was working, I went on a lot of dinners that included cocktail hours.  Spritzer was my drink of choice then.  I had a drink in my hand, could sip it, and didn't have people offering me more.   Spritzers are coming back in style, I think.  Not that style matters.  :-)

And yeah, eat!  That will help. 

• Like 3

Hi, everyone!  I'm very excited to be seeing an old friend this evening.  We're meant to be going out for drinks. My problem is that I tend towards low blood sugar and don't drink very often.  I would like to have a cocktail that won't leave me silly.  Does anyone know of any that are lowish in alcohol content?  In my younger days I could drink a vodka gimlet but I think that would leave me absolutely senseless these days. 

By the way, I'm not embarrassed or anything, my friend won't care if I drink or not but I thought a cocktail and appetizers would be fun for this mom's night out. I'm going to switch to club soda afterwards.

Tell me your favorites!

DON'T have a "cockatial".  ;)

Just joking. 

Seriously, I do not drink but worked in a restaurant with a bar for years.  Whatever you do, do not have a Long Island Iced Tea!  A wine cooler is probably safest.  And make sure you eat.  Let someone else drive.  

• Like 1

I'm a non-drinker, so this is probably a stupid question. When you say "wine spritzer" do you have to specify what kind of wine you want? I wouldn't mind trying this, but I don't want to sound stupid when ordering!

Just ask for a white wine spritzer, and the bartender will serve their house (cheapest) white wine.

Late on this but just in case anyone else is in the same situation- I like to order a shot of rum and a coke. Then I end up with a large coke and can just put a splash of rum in. As they refill my coke, I can add more splashes. One shot can last me hours.

• Like 1