Menu

How important is art for a child who dislikes it?

Caviar

I have a child who dislikes drawing, coloring, cutting, pasting, etc... He does well with everything except art. This school year I put him in an art class hoping that if he saw other children his age working on art it might help him like it better, but he really is not interested in it at all. His two older sisters live for art, and can't get enough of it. Do I continue to "make" him do art, or just drop it?

Update 5-3-16:

We had a very precious occasion happen today:  my DD11 asked my DS7 if he would like art lessons from her, so she proceeded to give him a drawing lesson of one of his favorite characters from a computer game that he likes.  It lasted about 15 minutes, and they decided that that was enough for the day, and that tomorrow they would resume with another character.  

Edited by Caviar
  • Like 1

Well, that depends to some extent on your own personal beliefs about art.

In the 1800s, EVERY rich family in England expected their daughters to become competent at drawing.  It was a fundamental subject.  Math, however, was not really taught beyond basic arithmetic.

Now, in North America, we consider it a hobby or an extra-curricular.  But we consider math to be a fundamental.

And so, we have children who dislike math--but they are required to do it anyway.

So what do you believe about art?  Should it be a fundamental subject, in which case you would continue to require it, or should it be an extra-curricular, in which case you wouldn't need to?

The other thing to consider is what are the schooling requirements that you're subject to?  If art is required for your situation, then of course it needs to be done in some way.

• Like 1

I would broaden your perspective of what you call "art"

Perhaps he may like drawing helicopters, planes, automobiles...many boys like action and prefer to draw either superheroes or battle scenes. (It's natural to their desire to conquer, and healthy part of boys growing up)

Many boys prefer to draw superhero comic-type art.  The superheroes and story lines are exciting to them, and the big bold emotions and facial expressions and actions in the comics inspire them greatly.

Some kids, boys or girls, prefer digital art.  THe digital medium gives them hundreds more possibilities, without having to get up and change paint, mix paint, get different brushes, pencils, wait for it to dry in between paint colors, etc.

Or how about Sand Art? We had a pastor at our church who did gorgeous gigantic sand art things almost every morning at the beach, at 5am, and would leave by 7am and leave his sculpture there for all too see.  Many times it was about the Gospel or God, other times it was a cool car...it was his art.

Or how about The Arts, as in hip-hop dance, theatre or choir?  Many boys enjoy these forms of artistic expression, in a group, with the social aspect.  

Also dont' forget about Art Appreciation.  Even if he doesn't DO art, there are so many cool little books at the library where you can enjoy art. 

Just some thoughts to get you started.  My son never much enjoyed sitting and painting and doing art "programs" at home, but he has done a lot of art.

• Like 6

Art is not an option because my boys did Art in public school anyway. However there is so many ways to do art.

DS10 did ceramics/clay modeling, photography and would be doing ceramics/pottery wheel, calligraphy and whatever catch his fancy

DS11 did ceramics/clay modeling, love doodling on paper and on iPad, and would like to try pottery wheel. stained glass painting, and not sure what else he want to dabble in.

• Like 2

I don't think it's important. I think it's more as an enrichment type of thing. Art might not be his thing. He might have something else that is his thing. That's ok. I would leave creative art alone for a couple of years and do art appreciation for a bit--read some fun books about artists. Get some books like these: http://www.mikevenezia.com/artists/

In a few years, try another art class. This year I've used the lessons on the national gallery of art website. I print a copy of the art work from the lesson, we read about the artist, then we do the recommended activity. I only suggest this because it's free and the art activities are very simple so if your son hates it, at least you haven't spent any money on it.

My boys don't hate art, but they don't like to spend a lot of time on it either. They don't like it if it's complicated and the projects on nga's website are pretty simple, yet geared for up to 8th grade (some all the way to 12th.). http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/teachers/lessons-activities.html

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

How are his fine motor skills in general?  Many children, boys especailly, dislike fiddly art projects because they find them difficult and quite frankly, boring.

I do think art is important, but it shouldn't be limited to cutting, pasting, and coloring.  Incorporate art history/appreciation into your history lessons.  

Offer "boy-friendly" hands-on options:

He could build LEGO, models from kits, diaramas, or woodworking projects (try Home Depot or Lowes kids' projects)

Take him to a craft store and see if any arts and crafts type kits catch his eye - rainbow loom, Perler bead, felt sewing projects, etc.

He could study photography.  Digital is easy and inexpensive to try, but might like to build and use a pinhole camera.

Borrow or buy a draw your own comics book and see if that would interest him.

Perhaps he prefers to express himself through music or another art.

• Like 2

I could've written your post--that's DS to a T. I had him do a Parks & Rec class in April and he made it clear that he did not want me to sign him up again.

My strategy right now is to make it as short and simple as possible, with the occasional wildly fun thing thrown in (like throwing paint-filled eggs at paper on an easel outside in the driveway). We do the occasional lesson from Drawing with Children, and will slowly and probably painfully do some of Drawing for the Absolute Beginner next year. I believe that drawing, at least some, influences seeing, so I'm not ready to give up yet.

Next time I have him do a class, it may be a three-week parent & child pottery or something.

:bigear:  for more folks' thoughts.

• Like 1

I also think where you think your son is going in life comes into play. Your son is clearly not going to be a full time artist, but what about engineer, scientist, teacher, or any of the many other careers where some basic art skills are needed or desired?

• Like 1

I see three different aspects to art education:

for a young child, developing of fine motor skills; art appreciation and art history- to be an educated person; using art as a creative outlet.

Fine motor skills are non negotiable, but can be developed through other pursuits.

Art appreciation also non negotiable; young people should become familiar with the great artists, periods, works of art.

Creative outlet, OTOH? That is not something one can make a child do. Their creative language might be a different one - it may be music, words, movement.

So for a child who clearly does not want to create art, I would focus on art appreciation and visit museums and architectural sites. He may be inspired to try doing art later -or he may not. I would keep supplies at hand and freely accessible.

I am this person. My creative languages are poetry and music, and photography; all art classes in my childhood never inspired in me any wish to make something. Only in my fourties, I have made a few attempts in playing with art supplies.

Neither of my children has any desire to create visual art. They write to express themselves.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I see three different aspects to art education:

for a young child, developing of fine motor skills; art appreciation and art history- to be an educated person; using art as a creative outlet.

Fine motor skills are non negotiable, but can be developed through other pursuits.

Art appreciation also non negotiable; young people should become familiar with the great artists, periods, works of art.

Creative outlet, OTOH? That is not something one can make a child do. Their creative language might be a different one - it may be music, words, movement.

So for a child who clearly does not want to create art, I would focus on art appreciation and visit museums and architectural sites. He may be inspired to try doing art later -or he may not. I would keep supplies at hand and freely accessible.

I am this person. My creative languages are poetry and music, and photography; all art classes in my childhood never inspired in me any wish to make something. Only in my fourties, I have made a few attempts in playing with art supplies.

Neither of my children has any desire to create visual art. They write to express themselves.

Yup. I agree. I greatly dislike painting or drawing or any kind of art like that. I detest doing crafts. I can feel my blood pressure rising whenever I have to do any kind of sewing--even just sewing a button on a shirt. Scrapbooking drives me bonkers. Anything that requires fine motor skills makes me feel anxious and on edge.

But I love writing and am good at it. And photography. Oh my. I adore photography. When I'm writing or taking my pictures, I relax and time stops. I'm in the zone.

I agree with what everyone is saying: Art appreciation is important, hands down. But for creative art, you need to either have him try something entirely off the wall (see suggestions above) or even consider that his creative side might be music or dance or words. Forcing art if he hates it won't really serve any purpose.

I would still have him do one official "art" class in at least middle school--with an assortment of projects. Here are some ideas for books I might use because they have an assortment of projects:

Grades 1-6 http://www.amazon.com/How-Teach-Art-Children-Grades/dp/1557998116

Not sure the grade level: http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-Children/dp/0935607099?ie=UTF8&keywords=Discovering%20great%20artists&qid=1462133327&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And in high school, I might have him pick a one-semester art class--but would offer many choices: traditional art classes like drawing and painting, and alternate art classes like photography or wood carving etc. I'd do this in high school only if his natural creative outlet hasn't yet presented itself. If it has presented itself, I'd let that be his art class in high school.

I might consider a required 30-hour .25 credit high school class in traditional art (painting and drawing) for reasons others have said: if he goes into a job that requires a bit of sketching.

• Like 2

Would he like something like origami or paper sloyd?  My DS loves these types of projects.  He also draws, but his drawings are much different than my more artistic DC's drawings.  He tends to draw machines or ideas for video games, while they tend to draw people or animals.  

I encourage art appreciation and creativity.  I agree that there are so many ways to fit this in...It doesn't have to be painting a picture or sketching a tree.  ;)  

Edited by Holly
  • Like 2

Agreed with Regentrude's post and just adding that I'd look at having him try other forms of art than drawing like those people are suggesting here - photography, sculpture, origami, digital art, etc. as well as arts that aren't visual like creative writing, dance, etc. But, of course, if he doesn't take to them either, oh well.

• Like 1

It would depend on *why* he disliked art. I personally hated art until high school because of the extreme emphasis on creativity and imagination, lack of support for the technical skills needed to actually produce (no explicit instruction was given in my elementary/middle school levels, just "draw something, paint something") and bullying. Finding a class with explicit instruction and a non-competitive environment changed my whole outlook on art as a subject.

If he doesn't have a reason you're able to directly address, it's up to your educational philosophy whether or not it's worth trying different types of art or artistic subjects (drafting, wood/metalworking, art appreciation rather than creation).

Edit: I just saw that your DS is only 7, some boys break late in artistic pursuits. My DS wouldn't even color or scribble with pencils until he was 5 and now at 7 he's grown into it on his own. I make the supplies available, but don't treat it as a subject at this level. Too much pressure IMO.

Edited by misty.warden
  • Like 2

Your 7 year old? He may well just be too young to produce art he is proud of. I wouldn't push art production. Over the course of his education, art appreciation, artistic principles (colors, 3D perspective drawings, etc), and some sort of creative outlet are important.

• Like 1

My art-phobic child LOVES woodworking (simple building/carving and wood burning), knot tying (even braiding jewelry for me as gifts), ceramics, and embroidery (that was a surprise!). Mostly "useful" stuff. He's eager to learn to crochet next. I agree with branching out.

I do not require art. I require art appreciation and history. And I require craftwork/handiwork of some kind. But I don't require the drawing/painting/papercraft that many call art.

• Like 1

My son disliked art at that age but enjoys it now at 9. He particularly likes drawing technical drawings of stuff he's designing or making. I think Legos and teaching specific techniques is useful.

I disliked art but in hindsight it's because my fine motor skills were poor and my vision was huge. So I'd have a huge idea in my head but what came out was nothing like it. If this is likely I'd work on fine motor skills using something he enjoys and include art but less frequently till he builds more competence.

• Like 1

I wouldn't make a 7 year old do art if he didn't like it. My boys aren't artsy either. They will sometimes pick up some paper and a pen and draw stick figures killing each other, then scribble the whole thing because it's exploding, but painting a picture of an apple and making it look 3D? Not so much. :) I leave art supplies available, and they have free access to the printer paper (free after rebate from Staples). Sometimes they'll decide to make something with tape and paper. Then I have to go buy a new roll of tape. :lol: But I will say that they really weren't much into artsy things at 7. Later, they enjoyed occasional painting or whatever. Yesterday we did Draw Write Now together, drawing 3 bears (from the Goldilocks story). I drew what the original picture had. My 9 year old gave Papa Bear 2 heads and giant claws. My 11 year old likewise did some silly stuff to his. I think my 6 year old was the only one that attempted to draw the bears somewhat like they were on the page. :) And he's the one with the best fine motor skills of the bunch, so he tends to be more willing to do art. Art doesn't hold my kids' interest for long, and that's fine. Frankly, I was an engineer with zero artist skills. Never needed them in my job of writing software.

(and I do think of what my 9 and 11 year old did as art yesterday - I praised them for their creations ;) )

We do picture study in our language arts now, looking at good art and discussing it.

• Like 1

I agree with the others about art appreciation.

As far as creating - I would widen the possibilities a little but also not push it as a big thing.  If he is doing a lot of paper crafts, that might not appeal.  But maybe he would like another form - wood carving, knitting, etc.  We tend to make a big difference between fine art and craft but I think it is a much smaller space there than many think.

There is some real utility in being able to draw with a pencil, and he might find that more up his alley too. It is a way to help us see what is there, a kind of examination.  It's useful to be able to draw specimens or diagrams in science for example, to draw up plans, and so on.  It was even a useful skill when I was in the army.  Some kids seem to prefer more technical types of drawing like perspective drawing though he might be a bit young for that, or map drawing.

• Like 1

Art is important.

Elementary-school art instruction is not necessarily that important, however. For many people, the abstract importance of art does not become salient until much later in life, when they need those symbols and motifs to make sense of the complexity of life.

That is not the case for small children who are still dealing with the world in very concrete terms and as PPs have pointed out--the importance of drawing in such a specialized society is really not that big.

I'd force a fine arts credit each year from 6 - 12, ideally a musical instrument because of the hand-eye coordination. If I was going to force art in the early years, I'd just as soon set the kid at a drum set he liked, or let him do computer animation, as I would force him to do more traditional arts. One quarter per year's worth, so one day a week one class.