Menu

Mmmm....The House Smells of Turkey Carcass Soup

Spy Car

Made one batch of stock and froze it. DH does not like waking up to the smell of bone broth simmering in the crockpot, but has resigned himself to it. ;) He and kids are requesting a few not-turkey meals, so either lamb burgers or shepherd's pie tonight.

Saving soup for next week when we are back in the busy routine and I have less time for meal prep.

I'm more excited about the bone broth than I was for hot turkey on Thanksgiving.

Alas, I haven't put mine to simmer yet because I'm out of celery and I prefer to add it to my broth.  Husband is out of town, pukey kid, and Black Friday means that Mr. Tom will have to wait to have his bones boiled.  I also need to buy more mason jars to store the product.

Also, I'm thinking about doing two crockpots (splitting the bones between the two) because that's a lot of carcass for one crockpot.  We had a 15 lb bird so not huge but I'm trying to maximize the amount of broth I get. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Do I just use the turkey broth as I would chicken? In other words, are there*any* soups that don't go well with the turkey broth? I'm considering red lentil lemon soup, for the sake of discussion

Yes, you can use Turkey broth in anything....but why a lot of people make turkey frame soup is because you get all the bits of Turkey off in the soup as well.  I always use the BHG recipe.  We just add in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, along with any leftover celery, onions, and carrots.  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/poultry/turkey-frame-soup/

• Like 1

Do I just use the turkey broth as I would chicken? In other words, are there*any* soups that don't go well with the turkey broth? I'm considering red lentil lemon soup, for the sake of discussion

I have not found any soups that don't do just as well with turkey broth. Some might exist, but I haven't found them yet.

• Like 1