Menu

Read aloud recommendations for 6 and 4yo

Princess5

Right now I am reading aloud Farmer Boy by Laura wilder and my kids love it. I think I got recommendation here. We are coming to an end of the book and I need some other interesting books to read aloud to them. Any favorites for that age group? My dd is 6 yo and just starting to read frog and toad books. Any other books for her? How long do you read aloud a day? I feel like I am done after 2 chapters? Do I need to read more?

So you're asking a bunch of things.

1. I think one chapter or two is fine, unless they're really very short. I assume you're still also reading picture books to them? Really, there's no need to wear out your voice on this!

2. You can always read more if you like!

3. List of books to read aloud at around that age that my girls liked... with the caveat that it can be hard to pick books that the four year old will really get into:

Year of the Dog (series)

The Birchbark House (warning, there are some sad scenes - also, this is another series)

Audrey of the Outback (series)

Clementine (series)

Ramona the Pest (and the whole series)

How Tia Abuela Came to Stay

The Penderwicks (series)

The Saturdays

Skating Shoes

The Grand Plan to Fix Everything

The Big One-Oh

The Children of Noisy Village

The Toothpaste Millionaire

This list is heavy on the realistic fiction! I could throw in some more fantasy, but right now my head is full of Leviathan and The Nine Pound Hammer, which probably are a little too much for the four year old. (Actually, I make no promises about my list regarding the younger one. Their attention spans can be really variable.)

And you also want books for your older one to read to herself as well, right? Gimme a little bit to compile a list, I'll post it later. (Unless I forget, in which case I will remember in a month and feel really bad.)

It's been a long time, since I have had little kids!

My Father's Dragon

Wolf Story

Winnie the Pooh (not the Disney versions)

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (and anything by Roald Dahl)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Dominic (and anything by Steig)

Night Fairy

Catwings and other in series

Children of Noisy Village (and anything by Astrid Lindgren)

Charlotte's Web

Ramona series

Anything by Dick King Smith (especially Sophie's Snail series)

• Like 2

My kids are 6.5, 5.5, and 3.5.  Here are some that all three enjoyed within the past six months or year...

Pippi Longstocking  (Frankly, I can't stand her, but the kids thought she was hilarious.  I read it because we're nearly to the end of the MENSA list and I hate to quit with 3 to go.)

Little House in the Big Woods (Laura turns 5 in this one, so her perspective is just perfect and she's totally relatable.)

Trumpet of the Swan (We'd already read Charlotte's Web; this one is equally as good.  It's old, but doesn't feel out-of-date or boring like some old classics.)

Winnie the Pooh (I'd read bits to them younger; this past year seemed to be the perfect year.  The older kids understood the silliness and the little guy just liked the stories.)

My Father's Dragon (This one is short and has an incredibly clever kid and defeating some mean animals to save a baby dragon--what's not to like?)

I read them 1-2 chapters a day, depending on length.  The older kids read on their own before bed, I read a couple books to the little guy before bed, and we often have some other reading together during the day; all in all, I figure it's plenty.

In regard to your search for other books for your daughter, my daughter who loved Frog and Toad also enjoyed Ling and Ting books (probably easier, but delightfully silly) and Mr. Putter and Tabby (more on-level with F&T).  Both my older kids have enjoyed anything by Tedd Arnold (Huggly, Fly Guy, and Parts books--ranging from about early/mid 1st grade level to early 3rd).

• Like 1

Because of Winn Dixie is the big hit here right now.

All of a Kind Family

The Penderwicks

The Saturdays

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The real Winnie the Pooh books (MY favorite!!!)

American Girl books (Addy, Felicity, Kirstin, Molly, and Samantha are our favorites)

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Moffats

Rufus M.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

ETA: Ralph S. Mouse

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Henry Huggins

Ellen Tebbits

The Boxcar Children books have been some of the best early readers here, when your daughter gets to that level. A bit past early, but still not difficult.

Mine are currently 7.5 and 5.5. These are just from the past few years.

I read aloud about a chapter a day, plus picture books. My voice gives out. We do a LOT of audiobooks and love them. They each have an old iPod for quiet time and choose a story for that each day (this fulfills their wish to hear chapter books over and over again - it's amazing for their grasp of plot!), plus we listen in the car and sometimes at other times. I find their capacity for audiobooks increases with the fewer movies they see (we have no TV).

And I agree... make sure you still do a lot of picture books! They are still a big deal around here.

I would recommend reading as much as you and they like, but stopping before they seem done. I notice that if I stop when my kids are still really excited about the book, right before they get tired or bored, there is more excitment for next time. Listening to read-alouds is a skill you have to build up, and length of time really depends on your kids. Start with a chapter or two, or 15 minutes, and push it longer over time. Also try picture books, poetry books, and chapter books. 

• Like 1

Our favorites for the early elementary ages are:

All of a Kind Family (even my DS liked this one)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Little House in the Big Woods

Narnia

EB White books (Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, etc.)

Alice in Wonderland

Wizard of Oz

Winnie the Pooh

Narnia is overrated. If you didn't already think of it because it's one of your favorite books, I wouldn't rush out to buy a new set.

I've now thought of my list of early chapter books. Some of these will still be a bit advanced for the older kiddo. Most of these are series, and I'm just giving the obvious series name.

Bink and Gollie

Ling and Ting

Keena Ford

Anna Hibiscus

Babymouse (read these long after they "outgrew" them)

Lulu and the Duck

Katie Kazoo

Calvin Coconut

Zapato Power

Ruby Lu (the girls read these to tatters)

Fox and Friends

The Princess in Black

Rapunzel's Revenge (this one was a huuuuuge hit at that age)

Stories Julian Tells

Poppleton

Milo and Jazz

Nate the Great

Clubhouse Mysteries

Year of the Book

Bobby the Brave

Get Ready for Gabi

Sam and Charlie

Nikki and Deja (could not rip these out of their hands!)

And, of course, The Magic Treehouse. She's a little not there yet, but she will be soon.

Also, don't forget, she should still be reading picture books! Reading levels are another thing that's overrated, but all the same we can roughly say that some books are harder than others, and there are picture books that are at a very difficult level as well as those at a very easy level. Picture books. You can never have enough of those!

Another vote for Winnie the Pooh. Anything Beatrix Potter is great at that age. Grimm's Fairy Tales. D'aulaire's Greek and Norse Myths (might be a bit long for the 4 year old, but if he likes Farmer Boy he should be fine.) Our library had a beautifully illustrated version of The Minpins, that was a big hit. 

My kids could never make it through 2 chapters. 1/2-1 (20-30mins max less for some) for us. But every kid is different. Enjoy!

Exhaust Beatrix Potter and AA Milne.

Exhaust Amblesideonline Year 0 book recommendations.

Exhaust the lists for FIAR and Memoria Press read aloud packages.  You don't need to purchase these.  Check them out at the library.

Exhaust your library's list of classic fairy tales in picture book form. (The Ugly Duckling, Thumbelina, etc...classic fairy tales, NOT Disney version....HC Anderson, Lang, Grimm)  Fairy tales can and should be read over and over again, so once they have fallen in love with the picture books, start on the real, unabridged versions.  It's worth purchasing hardback copies of Grimm, Anderson and Lang.

Little House in the Big Woods is the obvious next chapter book after Farmer Boy.

Charlotte's Web and others by EB White are perfect for that age.

• Like 2

I'm thinking more on non-real-world readalouds. (And also some other real world ones.)

So, for your perusal, my grand list of sometimes fantasy or sci-fi, not very scary readalouds. (But, as always, you should pre-read any book suggested to make sure it is right for YOUR children, especially at their young ages.)

Five Children and It (note: the first book has a somewhat racist scene with Indians, and one of the others has a seriously anti-Semitic scene. Due to the episodic, serialized nature of these books you can easily edit or simply skip these chapters if they concern you, I do suggest you pre-read.)

Half Magic (and other books by Edward Eager)

Earthsea

The Ogre Downstairs

A Tale of Time City

Shoebag

The Oracle Doll

A Year Down Yonder (not SF)

Above World

The Worst Witch

Harry Potter (my younger one didn't understand this at all until 6, though - she found the cast of characters too large)

Bo at Ballard Creek (not SF)

Seven Stories Up

The Exiles (not SF)

The Boys Start the War (not SF)

Island of the Aunts (and anything else by Ibbotsen except her YA works)

Lydia, Queen of Palestine (not SF)

The Lost Conspiracy (complex vocabulary)

The Borrowers (not a scary plot at all, for any of the books, but really oldfashioned vocabulary)

Jinx

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm (wait a little)

Hammer of Witches (ditto)

The Real Boy

Breadcrumbs (another one to wait a year or two)

The Bliss Bakery Trilogy

The Monster in the Mudball

Starry River of the Sky

The Search for WondLa

The Dalemark Quartet (some of these are better suited for your kids ages than others)

The Chrestomanci series

Latasha and the Little Red Tornado (realistic fiction)

Better Nate than Never (realistic)

Zahrah the Windseeker

Un Lun Dun

The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle

Ivy's Ever After

The Extra Ordinary Princess

Unstoppable Octobia May

Dash by Kirby Larson (not SF)

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Pickle, by Kim Baker (not SF)

Sky Jumpers

So, yeah. This list really extends past the 4 - 6 age range, because fantasy and sci-fi do tend to have more action, and thus more chance for scary things. I've gone and bolded those books most likely to be appropriate for your kids right now, but as always, you have to use your own best judgment. All these books are, in my opinion, certainly acceptable for children under the age of 10 or 11, so even if you don't read them this year you'll at least have them in a few more years :)

Listen, come back and tell us what books you've especially liked, will you? I always love to hear that people love my suggestions, mostly because I'm egotistical that way.

• 5 weeks later...