Menu

Math not too challenging, but too much work for his age

My 2nd grader by age, is currently half way through CLE Math 4. He has been with CLE from the beginning.  He can do the math.  It is the right challenge level, but it is simply too many problems (4-5 pages) for his age.  I'm not sure what to do.  I could cross off problems, or I could have him only do half a lesson a day, but that doesn't seem right because it would slow him down.  I have also been considering switching him over to Horizons.  My other son does Horizons and I'm happy with the program and it IS less work.  I just feel weird about jumping ship on CLE when it has been working.

He also works in MEP and Challenging Word Problems.  Neither of those present a problem with length of lesson.

Any btdt advice?

• Like 1

Why are you worried about slowing him down? He's already ahead and I don't see the big deal about going through CLE at a slower pace.

I know sometimes it can seem on this board that every kid is doing algebra in late elementary/early middle school but truly, it's not a race. Better to have a solid foundation than "bragging rights" for having your 9 or 10 y.o. doing algebra.

• Like 3

How about assigning him even or odd problems only? We use a lot of supplements (several books) to our main spine that it is impossible to cover all the problems on a specific topic - I either mark the pages I picked for my son to work on or I ask him to solve even or odd problems only. That makes it a little faster.

• Like 1

Personally I don't agree with the practice of skipping problems. My goal was for conceptual mastery and computational fluency, I didn't want my sons to be stopping to think about what to do next in the process. We used MM + Keys to as our main program and I had my kids do darn near every single problem in MM and every problem in Keys, so I hesitate to advise skipping problems if the goal is to speed up the pace.

Do 1/2 a lesson of CLE a day + MEP + CWP and just get it done unless your son is having a problem.

• Like 3

I get it. CLE 4 is too long for my 3rd grader. I have him do the entire new part of the lesson, but I usually cross off every b, d, f of the review. I'm careful to make sure I'm only crossing off things he has down, so I make sure he is doing the problems I think he needs practice with, especially in the skill builder section.

ETA: For those of you who don't know, much of CLE is review. There is usually about a one page lesson and 3 pages of mixed review. Many of the numbered problems have a series (a,b,c,d) of similar problems. Once DS has mastered a concept, I'm okay with him doing only a few (of each) everyday thereafter.

• Like 1

PSA to all homeschoolers,

You're under no obligation to assign every problem. Each curriculum is designed for a wide range of children: those who get it quickly with little practice, those who get it at a moderate pace with some practice and those who get it slowly with a lot of practice.  Assign accordingly.  The curriculum writer can't know your individual child and has to write curriculum that meets the needs of a wide range of children. Most of those kids who start college early or advance into college math in high school usually didn't do all the problems once they mastered the skill.

• Like 14

This is really just opinion based on my limited experience, but I think CLE may not be the best program for a kid who is talented at math. There is just so much repetition! My DD needs bite size chunks on new topics so as to not get overwhelmed and she needs lots of review, but even for her I am not assigning all the problems as she doesn't need to do a problem on a concept she has already mastered in every single lesson - just often enough so as not to forget!

It would drive my talented-at-math 8 year old crazy if he had to do problem after problem he had already mastered. I am doing just a small amount of daily warm up/review with him, then new material in BA.

• Like 1

I don't know CLE, but what worked for us when we got to about 3rd grade level was to drop the SM workbook, do the textbook lesson, and then do the IP (plus other fun math-BA wasn't out yet, but we did Zaccaro's PCM, HoE, etc). Having a smaller number of more challenging problems worked better.

What got facts to automaticity around here was doing the World Maths Games and discovering that she was accurate, but a lot of kids were faster. So, we subscribed to Mathletics and she proudly got her score in all of the mental math levels up to the highest speed bar :). But it took that competiton with other kids to make her want to do it.

• Like 2

I'm  not familiar with CLE, but one of the reasons we left Singapore after trying it briefly after finishing RightStart C was too many simple problems.  My son was bored.  Now we do a combination of Beast Academy 4, Challenging Word Problems 4, and fun supplements like Jacobs Math: A Human Endeavor and its just right.  Depending on the material some days we get through 2 problems or 5 pages, it just depends.  I have not noticed any deterioration in basic skills or computational ability, in fact mostly the opposite, he slows down and focuses on the few problems he has to do instead of rushing to complete pages of identical problems.  

• Like 1

I know not everyone will agree, but like Gil, I have always insisted on doing all the problems. My dd5 is doing SM4B at the moment, and because of her age we want to make sure she is getting everything out of the programs. That being said, I wouldn't ever give her 4-5 pages in a row of the same problems! First, I think that just sets them up for failure. It becomes a rote process of doing the same thing again and again-in one day. Short term memory. We have found it better to say, do a page in SM, then CWP, IP, and then we like to end with Beast. I guess we go more slowly through an individual lesson (ha!) but that can be a good thing. Also, she is able to do the other problems in that lesson independently which gives us both a break:)

I also keep a giant white board set up with a few problems that she does when she wants...these may be from the lesson, or Beast, or Hands on Equations. It just breaks up the time spent on one type of problem and, ime, makes for great long-term learning.

I am not actually sure she NEEDS all the problems, lol, but mommy needs her to do them for now at least-and she doesn't mind when we approach it like that. Besides, I don't think my sanity could handle anything 'faster!'

• Like 2

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  I have had a lot to think about this week as we did math.  Like why did we start with CLE?  Is it still the best program for this particular child?  How can I not bore him but make sure he is fluent in operations?  Are ALL the problems necessary? 

Thank you for all your advice and opinions.  It surely helps to get other people's perspectives.

• Like 1

Do all of the new problems, and any review problems that may not be "solid" and skip review portions/do half if necessary.

My children use MM, and do 100% of the problems, but it's a different program.  None of my children have struggled with Math Mammoth conceptually...only get bored from time to time.  Blondie likes to play and has no interest in getting ahead, but does not struggle.  My older children all were driven to go fast, and also did not struggle, but did extra.  The only child I have "slowed down" at all (in math progression) has been PonyGirl, but we did that by going sideways/deeper -- not more repetition.

We compacted and skipped problems and my ds did only the Singapore IP's 3A and B, 4A and B, and 5A and B in - 1 1/2 years. If I had made him do a full complement of workbooks he would have not only hated math, but he actually can't do it when it is below level- he literally can't concentrate when it's too easy! If there are any gaps you can always go back and assign older material, but trying to rekindle a love of math is tough if they get burnt out from too much repetition and too little challenge!

• Like 3

I take the same approach as Laura Corin - I expect my kids to put in an age-appropriate amount of time on schoolwork, regardless of how far above level they are. In my family, advanced math ability has not come with advanced patience, advanced frustration tolerance, or advanced ability to sit still.

In general, gifted kids need less review and less practice. If they can do 10 practice problems perfectly, I don't see an advantage to doing 30.

• Like 2

We choose to do the more challenging types of problems (so in Singapore I use only the Intensive Practice book and not the Workbook) and don't do all the problems. I make sure they do some of each type of problem and if they are missing any they go back and do more of that type but if they understand the concept we move on. I didn't do less problems to slow my son down but because he would have been bored with math if he had to do problems that he understood over and over again.