Menu

"Thrive" weight loss sytem - amphetamines?

Lang Syne Boardie

I hope this question doesn't offend anybody for any reason but I don't know where else to ask. Dr. Google was useless.

I have a dear relative who is doing this program. She's been posting pics on FB -- she is definitely losing weight, and she really struggles with that (always has) so that's awesome, but -- she looks higher than a kite in every single pic since she started the program. :( What's in that stuff?

I've known her for over 30 years and she's a hard worker, family-oriented young grandma type, not one to get drunk or party or experiment with drugs. She's really happy with her life right now; I don't suspect depression or anything other than possibly these happy little energy patches and energy shakes are happier than she realizes...

anyone?

I looked at the ingredients for the women's version, and there are several ingredients that are/contain or might contain stimulants or be related to stimulants--green coffee bean, theobromine, synephrine, and white tea extract are the ones that jumped out at me.

• Like 1

Here's a list, just fyi

Vitamin Pack (527mg of Proprietary Blend):
B. lactis - probiotic
L. acidophilus - probiotic
L. casei - probiotic
L helviticus - probiotic
L salvarius - probiotic
L. plantarum - probiotic
L. rhamnosus - probiotic
Guarana Caffeine - stimulant
Green tea Caffeine - stimulant
Glucosamine - amino sugar
White Willow Ext - pain reliever
Glutamine - amino acid
Green Coffee Bean -stimulant
PEA - stimulant
Kelp - algae
Irvingia Extract - weight loss
BCAA blend - amino acid
Theobromine - stimulant, diuretic
Ginger Ext - anti-inflammatory
Synephrine - weight-loss
Aspartic Acid - amino acid
L-Serine - amino acid
Grape Seed Ext - antioxidant
CoQ 10 - vitamin like substance
White Tea Ext - stimulant

Shake (1595 mg of Proprietary Blend):
Garcinia fruit extract - weight loss
Oat fiber - fiber
Natural Caffeine from Black Tea - stimulant
Lactobacillus Acidophilus - probiotic
Rice bran - fiber
Amylase 5000 - enzyme
Bromelian 6000 GDU - anti-inflammatory
Cardomon seed extract - digestion
Cellulase 1000
Ginger root - anti-inflammatory
Lipase 1000 - enzyme
Papain 6000 - enzyme
Protease 1000 - enzyme
Protease 5000 - enzyme
Cinnamon bark extracts - digestion

THRIVE DFT PATCH:
ForsLean® - active ingredient is forskolin. Forskolin works on muscles in the heart and in the walls of the blood vessels. It produces a more powerful heartbeat and widening of the blood vessels, which lowers blood pressure.
Green Coffee Bean Extract - weight loss supplement
Garcinia Cambogia - weight loss
CoQ10 - vitamin like substance
White Willow Bark - anti-inflammatory pain reliever
Cosmoperine® - increases the absorption of drugs and nutrients through the skin

• Like 1

Wow.  Taking all of that would make me throw up. 

Here's a list, just fyi

Vitamin Pack (527mg of Proprietary Blend):
B. lactis - probiotic
L. acidophilus - probiotic
L. casei - probiotic
L helviticus - probiotic
L salvarius - probiotic
L. plantarum - probiotic
L. rhamnosus - probiotic
Guarana Caffeine - stimulant
Green tea Caffeine - stimulant
Glucosamine - amino sugar
White Willow Ext - pain reliever
Glutamine - amino acid
Green Coffee Bean -stimulant
PEA - stimulant
Kelp - algae
Irvingia Extract - weight loss
BCAA blend - amino acid
Theobromine - stimulant, diuretic
Ginger Ext - anti-inflammatory
Synephrine - weight-loss
Aspartic Acid - amino acid
L-Serine - amino acid
Grape Seed Ext - antioxidant
CoQ 10 - vitamin like substance
White Tea Ext - stimulant

Shake (1595 mg of Proprietary Blend):
Garcinia fruit extract - weight loss
Oat fiber - fiber
Natural Caffeine from Black Tea - stimulant
Lactobacillus Acidophilus - probiotic
Rice bran - fiber
Amylase 5000 - enzyme
Bromelian 6000 GDU - anti-inflammatory
Cardomon seed extract - digestion
Cellulase 1000
Ginger root - anti-inflammatory
Lipase 1000 - enzyme
Papain 6000 - enzyme
Protease 1000 - enzyme
Protease 5000 - enzyme
Cinnamon bark extracts - digestion

THRIVE DFT PATCH:
ForsLean® - active ingredient is forskolin. Forskolin works on muscles in the heart and in the walls of the blood vessels. It produces a more powerful heartbeat and widening of the blood vessels, which lowers blood pressure.
Green Coffee Bean Extract - weight loss supplement
Garcinia Cambogia - weight loss
CoQ10 - vitamin like substance
White Willow Bark - anti-inflammatory pain reliever
Cosmoperine® - increases the absorption of drugs and nutrients through the skin

• Like 1

It's probably the synephrine--I looked it up and it says it works like ephedrine, which a lot of people react to. It is a drug, not an herb. The line between drugs and herbs is blurry, to say the least. It is absolutely insane that we don't regulate "herbs" and "supplements" like we do "drugs".

In general, she's taking a ton of stimulants with that. I don't see amphetamines but related substances. I drink coffee like the dickens so no judgment from my side. But she will re-gain the weight when she goes off the drugs. It happens to lots of drug addicts. I say this as a caffeine addict. Again, no judgment, just my thoughts on what is probably happening based on that list.

I do hope she can wean off reasonably and begin to substitute less potent stimulants for that drink, so she can maintain a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 4

I'm with SparklyUnicorn - this deal would probably make me sick. And I'd be afraid of that many stimulants, with a family history of heart and blood problems. But my relative seems to feel well...I'm glad none of this screams "illegal substance!!!" but is 'just' ratcheted-up go juice, which would explain why she can still tend her family and work (and sleep, so she claims) while on this program.

The last time she lost a lot of weight, years ago, was on pills of some kind. She went off them because they caused flat affect and drowsiness - the opposite of this stuff - and regained the weight so quickly. I hope this time goes better.

Thanks again for the information, all!

• Like 1

I'm with SparklyUnicorn - this deal would probably make me sick. And I'd be afraid of that many stimulants, with a family history of heart and blood problems. But my relative seems to feel well...I'm glad none of this screams "illegal substance!!!" but is 'just' ratcheted-up go juice, which would explain why she can still tend her family and work (and sleep, so she claims) while on this program.

The last time she lost a lot of weight, years ago, was on pills of some kind. She went off them because they caused flat affect and drowsiness - the opposite of this stuff - and regained the weight so quickly. I hope this time goes better.

Thanks again for the information, all!

Seems like a bunch of snake oil to me though.  How does all that crap make a person lose weight?  Maybe if you just eat those pills you lose weight.

I'd rather eat real food. 

Seems like a bunch of snake oil to me though.  How does all that crap make a person lose weight?  Maybe if you just eat those pills you lose weight.

I'd rather eat real food. 

I took weight loss pills - amphetamines - for a short while in the late 1980s.  My doctor was concerned because my weight was creeping up.  The pills gave me energy and helped curb my appetite.  I loved taking them.

When the doc gave me my prescription he said he was not giving me a lot because he just wanted to help give me a push to get started.  He warned me that at my followup appointment I would ask for more of those pills, and he would not give me any.  I did, and he did not.  It did help motivate me to keep losing weight though.  For a while, at least...

• Like 3

Seems like a bunch of snake oil to me though.  How does all that crap make a person lose weight? 

Stimulants suppress hunger and give you energy by changing the way your body processes energy. (The how, I cannot comment on, as I'm not a physician or biologist.) Coffee, cocaine, methamphetamine, all of these are stimulants and in most people, provided you don't ingest them with huge amounts of sugar, will cause weight loss. They are all drugs. Some of the ingredients listed above are stimulants. These are things that you wouldn't normally find in large amounts in what we would traditionally consider foods, but again, the line is really blurry.

Coffee and tea when ingested as liquids have been shown to aid weight loss and do not increase mortality for the vast, vast majority of people.

All the other ones... I try to stay away from them. Rather, I do stay away from them. :) They aren't snake oil. They work and have been shown to work--from caffeine, cocaine, methamphetamine, ephedrine, etc. etc.--in randomized controlled trials and are used for ADHD treatment, low blood pressure, and I could go on and on.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
Guest DrewSoCo

Hi,

I realize I'm a little late to the party. I am a fitness blogger and personal trainer. I like to research, review and try all kinds of different products on the market and I am currently reviewing "Thrive."

I have talked with doctors, nutritionists and other professionals throughout my career. "Thrive" has a lot of ingredients which I have researched and talked with doctors about and I can say that it doesn't have anything that is really harmful. It's basically a blend of vitamins, minerals, protein, probiotics and caffeine. Also the amount of caffeine in a daily serving of thrive is about 60 mg which is less than 1 cup of coffee which has 100 mg.  

As I am researching this product the only thing I can find that makes me raise an eyebrow is the price! I could go and buy all of the ingredients myself for a fraction of the cost.

• 3 months later...
Guest FredButters

It is absolutely insane that we don't regulate "herbs" and "supplements" like we do "drugs".

If we regulated supplements like we do drugs, drug manufacturers would make sure that we'd need a prescription to buy vitamin C. 

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I took Thrive for two days and the second day I had to stop. I felt like I had to constantly move something, even if I was sitting still. I kept twitching, fidgeting, was irritable - it was awful. Waaayyyy too much stuff in there for me to tolerate. I ended up shutting myself in my room and filling myself with water for two days to flush it all out of my system. Never again. I spent so much $$ on the stuff and I ended up giving it away for free, that’s how badly i wanted it out of my house.