Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have had a productive day, ticks and all. 

School done.

Housekeeping done.

Authed my 2,500 words for the day, and it was pretty cool.

Now I'm going to eat leftovers for dinner and find out what was so all-fired important about the War of the Roses. 

• Like 7

Same here. I only know a couple of people who want to be perfect, and it seems exhausting.

Same with Rod and Staff and CLE. Great programs but very, very religious.

Apologia has a very strong young earth bias that permeates it. To tell the truth, any strong bias bothers me. I think in more gray terms than that about everything. My kids are exposed to me, though, so they have heard my views on the age of the earth and, most importantly, that it is not a salvation issue like some people make it. I say "I don't know" a lot about many things.

How do you mean re: SM? I am not familiar with Spalding, but I have a lot of years in SM with three different kids.

Now I feel anxious for you.

Yup. I never used CLE, but Rod and Staff grammar gets used or referenced here periodically because it just works. The spelling is good too, but it gets some laughs. Or some :huh: because we don't like in a Mennonite community, lol. I use those moments for cultural exposure:-)

I feel the way you do about Apologia. I just can't go there because of the permeation. Not just the science, but the theology as well. Proof texting doesn't do it for me. And, there are so many layers to Genesis in the original Hebrew and even in translation, there is a solid case that it isn't speaking to any kind of science.

But, I do know that the people who love it, really enjoy it. And I think there is a place for more of a conversational textbook writing style for the younger years especially.

I really love the concept of Spalding, but like Critter, could never implement it consistently (sh, don't tell Ellie :leaving: ) Just reading through it helped me be a better teacher, though, so it was worth it. I love Singapore, but I know it doesn't always get used the way it was meant to in the homeschool (or public school) world. Many people buy singapore method texts and don't realize that they need to incorporate drill, practice, etc. In Singapore, the importance of automatic recall of the facts of math is part of the culture. Kids practice in after school supplements and at home. In Singapore method programs, that stuff is often not explicitly stated, so someone without training in the method are missing a big and foundational piece of the program.

Also, grammar and logic stages are more of a sliding scale than a linear divide. It's kind of like stretch and release. Stretch the brain, release and practice, stretch again... You get the point.

• Like 6

I did Singapore all the way through to high school with ds.  It was good.

Dd hates Singapore with a passion and crashed and burned in 3rd grade. 

I used to think that I would get one program that we liked and that I would use it for eternity.  Now I've decided to teach the kids I have and to recognize that different books work best with different kids - esp. since my kids are not middle of the road kids who would do ok with any book / program I used with them. 

• Like 4

I learned it along with my kids. I found it such a relief when we reached the bar diagram stage. That changed my life, yo. :lol:

YMMV.

I loved that too:-)

For elementary, I used Horizons and supplemented with Singapore. It worked well. I decided early on that I was not going to be a curriculum hopper with math. Too many opportunities for holes. There would only have been a change if I would have seen one of the ds's truly not getting it. But, if I had gone a year or two with radical problems (not just developmental/attitude shifts), I would have switched and not looked back.

Another fantastic book on math is the Equation for Excellence (I think the author is Arvid Vingha or something like that) which I know I have recommended ad nauseum in the boards over the years. It truly changed the way I thought about math, it's value, methodology, etc., and has been invaluable as I plod through all.the.math.

It also explains Singapore methods from a big picture standpoint, which helped when understanding a whole different approach to math than what I grew up with.

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 2

You guys are making homeschooling sound hard.  :001_unsure:

Homeschooling is like parenting.  It is changing all the time.  There are some challenging moments while you try to figure out what is what and there are beautiful easy moments that make you all gooshy inside.  But like parenting, we don't have to be perfect at it.  And not even totally competent all the time.  We'll help you to be minimally competent.  ;)

• Like 8

You guys are making homeschooling sound hard. :001_unsure:

Going one year at a time helps. I think one of the hardest things is that, at the beginning, you are trying to get your head around the entire 12+ years AND your philosophy AND new vocabulary, acronyms, etc. It is important to do those things. Big picture helps you stay on track. Philosophy gives you something to measure programs against. Understanding the lingo helps when you are trying to work through the boards.

But, all of that can get overwhelming. That's the time to hone in on just.this.year (or month or day:-) for as long as it takes for you to lose the panic attack, lol. Just put it down when you need to.

You are going to be awesome :wub:

• Like 4

Krissi, let go of the guilt (and baggage) and switch to the bigger church. You don't owe anyone an explanation, IMO. If the smaller church is not meeting your spiritual needs it is not doing your family any good. Community is a component of that.

So says the non-churchgoer. Feel free to ignore me. :)

We go to church assigned to us base on our address. In our previous church, we were small and overburdened with responsibilities as we have a complete lay ministry. With our move, we're in a larger congregation that is so much more vibrant and healthy. Hoping you get some clear answers, Krissi, in your prayerful decision about what to do.

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking we will eventually end up there. Don't know when. But... they just asked DH to consider being an elder again, which would be a three-year commitment. And I know we don't want to make that kind of commitment. I am committed to directing VBS this summer. I mentioned it here, because sometimes an objective opinion of a situation is helpful. It's hard to make a good decision when you're holding a lot of emotional baggage and guilt and all that stuff! Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

You guys are making homeschooling sound hard. :001_unsure:

It is. Especially when compared to walking your children to the bus stop with their little backpacks and then turning around, walking into a quiet and empty house, pouring yourself another cup of coffee and then.... Doing whatever you want. ;) But, they say it's worth it all in the end... so, I keep doing it!
  • Like 6

I feel the way you do about Apologia. I just can't go there because of the permeation. Not just the science, but the theology as well. Proof texting doesn't do it for me. And, there are so many layers to Genesis in the original Hebrew and even in translation, there is a solid case that it isn't speaking to any kind of science.

But, I do know that the people who love it, really enjoy it. And I think there is a place for more of a conversational textbook writing style for the younger years especially.

We've used Apologia for 2 years now and really like it. I get that people have trouble with the YE bias. My dh is passionately OE and I am a "not-passionate, middle ground origins person" because I don't really care. I can see evidence for both sides and I refuse to take a side. So sue me, ;) But I do like the way Apologia is written. And I love their student notebooks. We did A Beka science for a year. Yawn! We did library stuff and videos for a while. Didn't work. So, this is the science that gets done. The kids like it, I like it. It's all good for us.
  • Like 1

Yup. I never used CLE, but Rod and Staff grammar gets used or referenced here periodically because it just works. The spelling is good too, but it gets some laughs. Or some :huh: because we don't like in a Mennonite community, lol. I use those moments for cultural exposure:-)

I really love the concept of Spalding, but like Critter, could never implement it consistently (sh, don't tell Ellie :leaving: ) Just reading through it helped me be a better teacher, though, so it was worth it. I love Singapore, but I know it doesn't always get used the way it was meant to in the homeschool (or public school) world. Many people buy singapore method texts and don't realize that they need to incorporate drill, practice, etc. In Singapore, the importance of automatic recall of the facts of math is part of the culture. Kids practice in after school supplements and at home. In Singapore method programs, that stuff is often not explicitly stated, so someone without training in the method are missing a big and foundational piece of the program.

Also, grammar and logic stages are more of a sliding scale than a linear divide. It's kind of like stretch and release. Stretch the brain, release and practice, stretch again... You get the point.

The boys used Rod and Staff grammar for a couple of years.  It was a hoot.  We still say, "Using slang language disappoints God and disgusts others."  Rich stuff, I tell you.  I think Rod and Staff grammar had the most far out stuff that gave us a good laugh.  FABULOUS grammar, though.  And spelling.  Really top notch.  I wish I had switched to the spelling sooner.  Mennonites can write some programs!

You guys are making homeschooling sound hard.  :001_unsure:

It is.  But when you start it with young kids, you grow with them.  It would have been a stretch for me to jump in with 9th graders, you know?  I didn't do that.  My kids were young when we started.  I knew I could do kindy and second grade.  Every year I figured out what we would do the following year.  Math has been my biggest homeschooling challenge because it is a weakness and because I have an SN kid.  That is what I outsource and pay for.  I figured out what was not going to get done and outsourced it.  (science and Latin)  We did a lot of stuff orally.  My boys didn't have a lot of written output expectations until this year.  Shhhh, don't tell SWB.  But they are doing great, and I kind of melded my natural style and their strengths with my gut feeling that it all works out in the end, sprinkled a few "God help us!"'s along the way and called it good.  And it was.  And it is.   :)

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

You guys are making homeschooling sound hard.   :001_unsure:

It's not so bad when you go for competent, not perfect, as Jean says.

And also when you let go of the idea that it's up to you to teach them everything. Turns out you can't, and even if you could, it wouldn't be good for them.

• Like 2

Also, there was a benefit to not being on this board when I first started homeschooling.  I had a couple of mentors who gave me some advice, I ordered some programs, I taught the kids, and we went on about our lives in blissful ignorance.  It turns out I was doing it all wrong. :laugh:  It also turns out it didn't matter one whit. :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:  It all worked out fine. :hat:

• Like 8

I like Apologia because it's consumer friendly: textbook, audiobook, journaling notebook, science activities--and you can even buy a lab kit.  Some years even have a dvd component.   For my kids, we often have to hit it at different angles to hit their individual needs.  One kid must read, another kid must have audio. One kid learns through experiments, another needs a video.  I wish that I could find other multi-media curricula, but it's hard.  

On Singapore math--this has worked well for two of my kids, and hasn't for two others.  I just switched kid4 over to Horizons, and it fits her very, very well. 

• Like 1

I just had happy news, as I'm opening my mail. My insurance refused to cover a few of the lab tests that my rheumatologist ordered.  One of the tests was $989.  The lab company itself decided to only charge me $25.  I am much, much relieved. It means we can keep kid3 in OT over the summer.  I suspect my rheumatologist is going to order the same test tomorrow, and I will get to worry about this for another 4 months. 

• Like 9

I just had happy news, as I'm opening my mail. My insurance refused to cover a few of the lab tests that my rheumatologist ordered.  One of the tests was $989.  The lab company itself decided to only charge me $25.  I am much, much relieved. It means we can keep kid3 in OT over the summer.  I suspect my rheumatologist is going to order the same test tomorrow, and I will get to worry about this for another 4 months. 

:hurray: and  :grouphug: .

• Like 1

What is strewing spelling?

Don't swim in the sea, for Peet's sake! Save yourself!!

ETA: I think it's supposed to be Pete. But it's a name, and those can be spelled any which way. I choose to think the hospital messed up his birth certificate and it is officially Peet, even though he goes by Pete.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 6

Don't swim in the sea, for Peet's sake! Save yourself!!

ETA: I think it's supposed to be Pete. But it's a name, and those can be spelled any which way. I choose to think the hospital messed up his birth certificate and it is officially Peet, even though he goes by Pete.

I thought it was Peter the apostle. Did he have a birth certificate? He's old.
  • Like 2

You are supposed to strew books, games, and activities around so that the children learn naturally. I don't know how to strew spelling, but we used to play a lot of Scrabble.

I guess I strew classics and eschew twaddle.

That's an awesome sentence. :D

• Like 4

Strewing is an unschooling/ unschoolingish term referring to leaving things around that will naturally get kids excited about learning certain things.  I tend to think about content areas with regard to strewing but I guess I could see games that use spelling (as suggested in that thread) as one way to do it. 

• Like 2

You are supposed to strew books, games, and activities around so that the children learn naturally. I don't know how to strew spelling, but we used to play a lot of Scrabble.

I guess I strew classics and eschew twaddle.

That's an awesome sentence. :D

Yes, well done ma'am (insert poorly executed British accent). I'm going two chose knot to strew spelling becase I can't spell.

My kids are total book snobs. I'm so proud. If I take them into the library they're always so disappointed in the books on display. They know a classic when they see one. Funny kids.

• Like 2

Strewing is an unschooling/ unschoolingish term referring to leaving things around that will naturally get kids excited about learning certain things. I tend to think about content areas with regard to strewing but I guess I could see games that use spelling (as suggested in that thread) as one way to do it.

Oh, I see. Okay. I strew. I should not strew spelling though, lest my kids wind up like me. I guess I'm with you about strewing content subjects. I do strew math stuff. Well, I bought cuisenaire rods and can't seem to keep them put away. I'm claiming credit for that at least.

• Like 3

I didn't know that strewing was a thing.  Ds15 will read virtually anything that I bring into the house.   :001_wub: He's definitely my boy.

The dc play with the globe, calculators, and craft supplies because they are readily available.  Childcraft books are read almost every day by someone.  

• Like 3

Strewing is an unschooling/ unschoolingish term referring to leaving things around that will naturally get kids excited about learning certain things. I tend to think about content areas with regard to strewing but I guess I could see games that use spelling (as suggested in that thread) as one way to do it.

We are big in strewing as we have kids in PS. However I think in our home with our kids' focus we'd need to strew like hoarders to get social studies in. OTOH I am not sure that public school is sticking in that regard either so I don't judge those who go with strewing.

Strewing spelling seems to work great for about50% of the population. The rest of them, you kind of need to strew phonics lessons in front of the toilet and strew spelling Olympiad questions on car rides for that to work.

• Like 3

I'm finally ketchuped.

I completed all the tasks that I had planned on and a few extra. So it has been a productive day. However, I am tired and my muscles ache. I have not been sleeping well at all. I have been doing my mom's housework, cooking extra for her, etc. I don't know if she will improve much more. They suggested rehab at the ER yesterday. I think she should go for a few weeks, but she is not open to the idea.

Good night and sweet dreams.

• Like 5

Did I tell you guys about when we were at the store and Matt said I was waddling? Ever since then when he asks what I'm doing I respond with "I'm waddling." I think he's getting irritated.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5