Menu

Actors with voices that annoy you.

PrincessMommy

I took acting as a kid and one of the first things we learned was how to project our voices and to speak clearly.  Of course, this was for the stage and I know movies are different... but I'm tired of spending $$ to watch an actress whisper her lines.

The worst is Liv Tyler.  I cannot stand her whispery throaty voice.  It's SO annoying.

Last night we went to see Jupiter Ascending.  The movie was not that great... but the what was even more annoying was that the main actress (Mila Kunis) and one of the other supporting actors  (the guy that just won an Oscar, no less!), both whispered with that gravely voice that is becoming popular these days (Vocal Fry).  There were times when the voice/music mix was off and i had no idea what Ms. Kunis was saying.  Then there were times just when either she or Redmayne were talking and it was like nails on a chalkboard.  It was more than just the whispery part, it was also the gravely part at the end of each sentence.  SO ANNOYING.

I guess I'm getting old.

That lady from The Nanny, I could gauge my ears out any time she speaks. There is a guy also, I don't know his name, but I recognized and loathe his voice every second its in use in my presence. I think he plays Iago from Disneys Alladin, but thats his real voice.

There is an acctress who inhales audibly before ever.frickin.line! So, so, so annoying!!!

• Like 4

That lady from The Nanny, I could gauge my ears out any time she speaks. There is a guy also, I don't know his name, but I recognized and loathe his voice every second its in use in my presence. I think he plays Iago from Disneys Alladin, but thats his real voice.

There is an acctress who inhales audibly before ever.frickin.line! So, so, so annoying!!!

I know the guy you're talking about. I can picture him but don't know his name. Off to google.

OT..if a person does not naturally have a voice that carries, how can you project better? Offer up some tricks, please.

Practice breathing deep from the stomach using the diaphragm.  My kid takes voice lessons and there is such a big difference when you start doing this consistently. 

• Like 5

Practice breathing deep from the stomach using the diaphragm.  My kid takes voice lessons and there is such a big difference when you start doing this consistently. 

Also, yawn deliberately and feel how much space there is in your mouth, particularly in your throat.  All that openness is available for speaking too, so try being aware of whether you are very tense and shut down back there.

• Like 4

Exactly.   It was how I was taught as a kid...  think of a newborn baby crying... they are breathing from their diaphragms and they are LOUD.

• Like 1

Barney...the very sound of that stupid purple dinosaur in my head makes me ugly

I do hate the sound of Barney. He sounds like he's trying to lure young children to him. His voice and his speech patterns--that smug chuckle and that goofy way he makes "uh-oh" sounds.

God, I hate Barney.

• Like 3

Gil, Barney is to me, the evil pied piper character of modern times. I just have this terrible vision of children following him to the woods and being eaten or something. I just can't stand him.

Yep, exactly. I didn't want to be the one to say it, but thank god I'm not the only one who thinks Barney the Dinosaur is a Creeposaurus Rex.

• Like 4

Yep, exactly. I didn't want to be the one to say it, but thank god I'm not the only one who thinks Barney the Dinosaur is a Creeposaurus Rex.

You are definitely not the only one, but you are the only one I've ever heard phrase it quite so succinctly.  :smilielol5:

I'm stealing that line, by the way.  :D

• Like 3

Shirley Henderson. She was Moaning Myrtle in the HP movie. Maybe it's just that part but I saw her in an episode of Doctor Who and she had the same voice.

yeah, that's her real voice.  She was also in Hamish MacBeth (love that show).  Her voice gets annoying very fast. 

Shirley Henderson. She was Moaning Myrtle in the HP movie. Maybe it's just that part but I saw her in an episode of Doctor Who and she had the same voice.

It's been mostly the same in everything I've seen her in. I recently watched an Agatha Christie episode she was in.

big bird is creepy too--- years ago we had a toy BB that played peek a boo when you covered it's eyes-- it said "peek a boo , heh heh heh"

In the middle of thunder storm that thing sounded satanic--

a flash of light, boom!!  boom!! 

***then****

"PEEK A BOO-- HEH, HEH, HEH"

It went into the trash that night--

still gives me the shivers to think about it. 

• Like 2