Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 8/31 - 9/6

Negin

still here, keeping it low key these days. Daily walks, starting back with daily core this week as well. Will have some kind of family activity today or tomorrow. That's probably it for this week, everything is starting back full swing and I'm feeling a bit of a crunch with Scouts (dh is Asst. Cubmaster), AHG(I'm a Unit Leader), dance (2 girls- 4 classes total and performances for company), co-op(I'm a leader), robotics (we're starting a team) and PSR (2 of 4 kids attending) and we've upped our school as well with everyone getting older I'm not having much time during the day and most nights we're busy with some activity, so I've got to figure out our new normal, so I'm spending my energy just focusing on that and keeping up with the basics.

I forgot to post! I have done a couple 60 min Tracy Anderson workouts. I hope to get a whole lot more in this week.

The next couple weeks will be transitioning into our school year schedule.  Ballet, piano, choir, TKD, oh,, and school. Can't forget school, lol. So soon I should know what I've got in terms of exercise time/schedule.

About to do Denise Austin: Fat Blasting Yoga. 

This made me laugh. :lol:  I picture lots of older women with young attractive guys in the background.

:smilielol5: It's a very funny video at times. No guys  :lol:. Just funny overall. The cool down was so hilarious, that I had to show it to my daughter later and we had a great laugh. 

I like it because it seems to be very effective for me, so far, although the humorous aspect doesn't hurt. 

We did geocaching Sun which including a nice stroll, yesterday was an evening walk instead of morning since dh was home. I got in a few sprints as well and did my core when I got home. Since I didn't do it last week I went back to Core 1. Getting ready to do Core again and will walk when everyone gets up. 

Oh, I want to join!

I am getting back to exercise.  It has been a long time.  

I am up to 7,500 steps and do light weights.  Last week I got beyond 10K steps one day, but I had done it with an incline and fast pace on the treadmill and had to admit I overdid it for the shape I am in.  I was so sore the next day I couldn't do anything.

So, my goal is to get up to 8K steps per day this week and build up to 10K within a couple of weeks.

My fitbit doesn't work, so I am using a pedometer.

Dawn

I'm back.  I missed my WO yesterday bc of several things out of my control, but I am able to tack it on to the end of today's skillwork so as to keep my "No Missed WOs"  title.    

It's 92 deg, humid and I didn't get enough sleep.    :crying:    It's gonna be a rough day.  In the end, no one cares about my personal discomfort, so I might as well just push through it.    :wacko:

A 3 mile run this morning, followed by upperbody work (kettlebell, push-ups, pull-ups).  My hamstring is still sore, and I'm wondering if I'll have to take time off from running. :(  

It's been a rough morning.  My dd, who is 16, takes 2 classes at a community college which is an hour away.  There was a wreck, shutting down the highway.  Now she is wandering the back roads of TN, trying to get to OR.  We've been wanting to get her a smartphone, but she had wanted an Apple, and since the new one comes out later this month, we've waited.  But that means she has no GPS, no map, and she's a bit freaked out, as am I.  Blah, this is going to be a bad day all around.  

I may have a hard time working out tomorrow because I could be hungover.  :glare:

I'm back.  I missed my WO yesterday bc of several things out of my control, but I am able to tack it on to the end of today's skillwork so as to keep my "No Missed WOs"  title.    

It's 92 deg, humid and I didn't get enough sleep.    :crying:    It's gonna be a rough day.  In the end, no one cares about my personal discomfort, so I might as well just push through it.    :wacko:

Eck, 92 and humid isn't fun. It has cooled off a bit here and is in the 80s now, so much nicer here.

Oh, I want to join!

I am up to 7,500 steps and do light weights.  Last week I got beyond 10K steps one day, but I had done it with an incline and fast pace on the treadmill and had to admit I overdid it for the shape I am in.  I was so sore the next day I couldn't do anything.

So, my goal is to get up to 8K steps per day this week and build up to 10K within a couple of weeks.

My fitbit doesn't work, so I am using a pedometer.

Dawn

Welcome! I know the feeling of wanting to do more than your body will allow, as much as it stinks you have to do what you can do or you end up injured and hurt and unable to do anything.

A 3 mile run this morning, followed by upperbody work (kettlebell, push-ups, pull-ups).  My hamstring is still sore, and I'm wondering if I'll have to take time off from running. :(

It's been a rough morning.  My dd, who is 16, takes 2 classes at a community college which is an hour away.  There was a wreck, shutting down the highway.  Now she is wandering the back roads of TN, trying to get to OR.  We've been wanting to get her a smartphone, but she had wanted an Apple, and since the new one comes out later this month, we've waited.  But that means she has no GPS, no map, and she's a bit freaked out, as am I.  Blah, this is going to be a bad day all around.  

I may have a hard time working out tomorrow because I could be hungover.  :glare:

OH, that stinks for all of you, hopefully she get where she needs to be soon!

Core and walk done.

It's been a weird day and I didn't get my workout in, but I realized that if I got on the scale holding both of my children we would weigh 20 pounds less than I did when I got pregnant the first time. That really puts all my effort (and down right misery) into perspective.

This week got off to a better start

I've done yoga yesterday and today.  I was also playing around with another - new - practice from amazon prime when ds walked in and started talking.  I've learned, when he talks, I need to stop and listen (to encourage him to talk more.)

I also walked over 8400+ steps yesterday.  I'm slowly pulling up my average too. whoopee.

About to soon do Joyce Vedral's Cougar Workout. Title makes me giggle every time  :lol:.

Oh, I want to join!

Dawn, so happy to see you here :D. 

Good for you for getting back into exercise. 

That's so difficult. It's hot and humid here year-round, hence why I try to workout in the early mornings and/or sometimes in the very late afternoon. 

My hamstring is still sore, and I'm wondering if I'll have to take time off from running. :(

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:

I haven't been around much as we're plummeting into our fall schedule which is crazy. I'm having to cut way back online. 

Still doing FB because I love it. I finished the Round 2 of their 8 Week Plans, and I've started their free 5 Day Challenge. Today was day 1 and really fun. Star burpees! So fun. My knee is feeling okay (knock on wood). The doctor's office never got back with me for an appointment, and now that my knee is not hurting I'll wait. My foot was hurting this morning though. Like right in the middle of my foot. Maybe my shoes? Do I need more cushion? I have minimalist cross training shoes. Only one foot hurts though and that shoe fits funny. Maybe a bad shoe? Sigh. I don't have money to keep trying to find shoes that work for me if that's what the problem is. Foot doesn't hurt at any other time....just when working out. 

My hip is tight and sore as well. So rolling today! I will do it. I always forget. Today I will roll. Yes. 

Another question along with my mysterious hurting foot.....is calorie consumption important if one is a healthy weight? My weight is fine, but everything I read and hear says I don't eat enough calories. According to Fitness Pal I don't reach 1200 calories most days. The only days I do is when I splurge on junk food like chips, cookies, brownies, coconut ice cream, pretzels, or alcohol. When I make myself eat more calories (along with drinking enough water cause that's super filling) then I am uncomfortably full to the point that I don't feel well. I don't know. Is it okay for me to eat around 1100 (give or take) calories if my weight is good? 

I do at times feel drowsy in the late afternoon (especially when I have to drive) so what are some suggestions? Drowsiness is a sign of hunger, right? So if I need to eat more what are some ideas that would make me feel overly stuffed and uncomfortable? 

Sunday- off

Monday- 1 mile run- 2 mile walk, 

Tuesday- Tutorial day- on my feet for 8 hours, MMA and then kettle bell afterwards were almost relaxation in comparison:)

Wednesday- mile run/walk with my youngest 3 boys, boxing and Thai combo's with my 12 yo.

The funny thing is my 8 yo who has a chronic illness and all sorts of metabolic issues and low muscle tone LOVES running.  He smiles the whole time while my "healthy" muscular boys whine.

Ninjamom- I hyper extended my knee doing a slide-up side kick.  The aching is merely irritating but It made me think of your knee... I hope you are better.

I'm a long-time lurker joining because it's silly that I feel like I know all the regulars on this forum and have never introduced myself (now if I could just figure out the signature thing...).

I'm taking exercise seriously again after being sidelined with injuries following the birth of my third. Your thread has been encouraging me (seriously, you ladies are awesome!), so I hope it's ok that I jump in here.

Monday - hiked and yoga

Tuesday - 25 minute run, 15 minute walk, yoga

Wednesday - 20 minute run

I'm on week 7 of Couch to 5K and feeling good. I missed running do very much!!

now if I could just figure out the signature thing

Click your name in the upper right hand corner, click settings, signature is on the left. Welcome to the hive. :thumbup1:

-------------------------------------

Insanity, day 2. I drank 40 ounces of water in 40 minutes.

I tried a different yoga routine today . . . . one from amazon prime . . . . well, it was meant to be easy and relaxing . . . . . it did have a few good stretches, but mostly was very easy.  maybe for a day when I really need a relaxing practice.  52 minutes of calm relaxation. 

I have a new power yoga dvd to try tomorrow - and a couple more yoga practices from amazon prime.  I should also look at Netflix. I want more core and arm focus.  it's so easy to get legs.

I also walked up my hill 2x today, and did 2 of the side roads.  I didn't do the third because they were doing a final paving. (multiple dump trucks, two pavers, two trailers with oil sprayers . . . . and parked on both sides of the road. plus all the cars of the workers.  fortunately - I know one other way off this hill - which is one you have to know is there. humph!)

I tried a different yoga routine today . . . . one from amazon prime . . . . well, it was meant to be easy and relaxing . . . . . it did have a few good stretches, but mostly was very easy.  maybe for a day when I really need a relaxing practice.  52 minutes of calm relaxation. 

I have a new power yoga dvd to try tomorrow - and a couple more yoga practices from amazon prime.  I should also look at Netflix. I want more core and arm focus.  it's so easy to get legs.

I used to do more yoga. I need to get back to putting it in my routine more often. 

Welcome to all the newbies to the thread. 

This morning was upper body strength on FB day 2 of the 5 day challenge. I really need to buy a weight set. 

is calorie consumption important if one is a healthy weight?

I do at times feel drowsy in the late afternoon (especially when I have to drive) so what are some suggestions? Drowsiness is a sign of hunger, right? So if I need to eat more what are some ideas that would make me feel overly stuffed and uncomfortable? 

I am eating around 2000 calories a day.  Honestly, at 1200 a day, I think I'd faint or barely be able to get out of bed.   I don't have a weight issue and ya'll know I'm working pretty intense.    From your posts you also seem to be working intensely.    I think what you need to do right now to up your calories is to eat frequent smaller meals throughout the day and to include a protein at each of these "meals" (such as a hardboiled egg or PB).

Ran this morning. It was so humid I had to take my glasses off because they fogged up and water condensed on my hair..

Humidity sucks!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Today is skillwork, MA, stretch and roll.    In other words, ya'll know how I roll!    LOL

Back after a long absence, though not an absence from exercise. Yay me :D

I've been doing 60 min of cardio (walking outside at 16min/mile pace (I have a v short stride length), treadmill on hot and humid days, elliptical) 5-6 days a week (mostly 6 days!) and 15-30 min of Pilates 2 days a week.

I want to add free weights once we get back into our school-activities groove. I need to look for that book about lifting for women---I flipped through it at the library last year.

I am eating around 2000 calories a day.  Honestly, at 1200 a day, I think I'd faint or barely be able to get out of bed.   I don't have a weight issue and ya'll know I'm working pretty intense.    From your posts you also seem to be working intensely.    I think what you need to do right now to up your calories is to eat frequent smaller meals throughout the day and to include a protein at each of these "meals" (such as a hardboiled egg or PB).

Humidity sucks!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Today is skillwork, MA, stretch and roll.    In other words, ya'll know how I roll!    LOL

I am trying to eat more calories. I just need to figure out what to eat. I've cut out dairy except kefir, greek yogurt, whey protein powder/bars. I've also cut down eggs to just 1-2 eggs a week. I cut back on red meat and pork. I used to eat a lot more dairy, eggs, and meat. I've cut these items following recommendations from my doctor. I have high cholesterol and she wants to see if changing these things will back it down. I'm also trying to increase my fiber to see if it helps. 

Before anyone suggests it, yes I have done the Low Carb/High Fat diet. My cholesterol numbers went up, not down. So that didn't work for me. So my doctor suggested I try the more "traditional" approach just to see. 

I add coconut oil to my smoothies and olive oil to my food every day. Yet, I still am not reaching a high enough calorie consumption. I don't eat a lot of legumes simply because I tend to get a stomachache. Same with nuts. I can eat a small amount of nuts or peanuts and I'm fine. Larger portions and I'm miserable. 

I actually ate half a gf pizza last night (breaking my no cheese rule) just so I could push my calorie count over 1000. That was at 9:30 last night after I had input everything into Fitness Pal and it said I had eaten 953 calories. I mean that is just crazy. I had even had chocolate! I wasn't hungry! I don't feel like I'm eating that little. I felt very full after dinner. So, in my frustration and anger, I made a frozen pizza and forced myself to eat it. Bah!

Breakfast (waiting in the oven) is baked buckwheat made with almond milk, apple, flax (instead of egg) and spices. I will put protein powder in it as well and top it with black strap molasses. 

Fever and headache so taking a rest day. As a matter of fact, I may just have gotten up.

I've had days when I just give up too. Hope you recover quickly.

It's been a busy week.  My hamstring is definitely injured and I've been babying it.  Yesterday I went to yoga class, and I'm enjoying it more and more.  Today I did a nice Kundalini yoga routine that stayed away from my hamstring.  Tomorrow I plan to try a short, flat run then a yoga routine that targets my IT band.  I'm angry at myself about my hamstring.  When I ran last week I knew my body was too tired, but I pushed, then I only took one day off and pushed again.  I had wanted to do a fall half marathon, but now I'm thinking it's out.  Blah.  

It's been a busy week.  My hamstring is definitely injured and I've been babying it.  Yesterday I went to yoga class, and I'm enjoying it more and more.  Today I did a nice Kundalini yoga routine that stayed away from my hamstring.  Tomorrow I plan to try a short, flat run then a yoga routine that targets my IT band.  I'm angry at myself about my hamstring.  When I ran last week I knew my body was too tired, but I pushed, then I only took one day off and pushed again.  I had wanted to do a fall half marathon, but now I'm thinking it's out.  Blah.  

Man, I'm sorry. I know exactly how you feel. So frustrating. 

Today was a combo of HIIT with ab work. Very fun. This 5 day challenge is really fun if anyone wants to try it. 

About to do

It's been a busy week.  My hamstring is definitely injured and I've been babying it. 

Kim, sorry to hear that. :grouphug: I hope you heal quickly and easily. 

My hamstring is not the same anymore after I injured it from doing 30 Day Shred back in May. All the stretching, massages, etc - none of them really help. Hopefully, yours won't be as severe as mine. 

This 5 day challenge is really fun if anyone wants to try it.

I am going to start the challenge on Monday:)

Speaking of challenges we went to a son's junior black belt (the testing is a year-long affair) informational meeting, among other things he has to agree to eat processed sugar only once a week. So my husband and decided to do it household-wide, at least for the year. If you hear gnashing of teeth- it's me bemoaning the lack of daily chocolate. Anyone want to suffer too?

Today- 2 hours MMA

Lower body weights

3 mile relaxing run

Okay - I did power yoga on thurs.  80 minutes for the full workout. wow.  Okay - I'll want to put that in 2x per week for my rotation. I'm not sure I can handle more than that right now.  (I think my knee has healed enough I can get a little more aggressive.  however - no squats yet.  so, I can't even do a seriously modified crane pose, let alone the version this dvd uses.)   walked around 5800+ steps.

Friday I went back to my 'regular' yoga practice (I needed more tame) - 50 minutes and walked around 8500+ steps.  my legs are feeling things . . .that means 2x this week I've been into the 8500 range.

I'm plan on doing a practice that is more in between the two today.  it's about 52 minutes.

I just realized that on day 3 of Insanity I did 3 & 4, so today is day 6. I'm already seeing results. It's not as insane as the infomercial makes it out to be. The moves are simple (as in not complex) and easily modified. I recommend the program to anyone who needs to lose more than 10 pounds. You can find it used for around $60 or check your library. It doesn't require any equipment, but I have used my yoga mat.

I did the newish yoga dvd.  I am definitely ready to move into it.  :hurray:  I've done it several times before, but remembered it as a little more strenuous than it is. (though it is definitely a workout for me.  the kind that makes you enjoy a shower with girly smelling body wash.)  I haven't done it for quite awhile just to give my knee a break.  (but there are no squats in this one. :rolleyes:  my knee is very grateful.) 

so, my plan is the three in rotation so I get them 2x per week.

I did yoga 6x this week.  first time in awhile I did it everyday.  very satisfying.  I will definitely walk at least once more - preferably 2x up that hill.  my average for the week right now is at 6110+ - despite the fact at least 1700 steps weren't registered one day this week.