Menu

Important question about accreditation- How important is this to getting into college

I just got used to the idea that I really can homeschool high school- that I won't mess this up... then last night, I had a conversation with a homeschooling mom at my chruch that has rocked my world.

My vision of homeschooling my first high schooler got reduced to a bottom-line of cold, hard facts last night. I was talking to a very well-respected homeschooler who has a couple of college graduates and one more child in high school now. When all of her children got to high school age, she and her dh used a local magnet school instead of homeschooling high school. There was a reason for such a move: accreditation.

Here was her bottom line: It is wise to use curricula (or a school) that is accredited so that the student will have a better chance of being accepted into college. Without accreditation the student MUST make a HIGH ACT/SAT score in order to look favorable to colleges/universities.

She made it clear how I have to promote my dc and that colleges are ONLY interested in the numbers... the cold, hard facts... data only. If dc can't make the numbers (high test scores) then they are sunk. It sounded quite dismal. I felt emotionally shaken after our talk.

I have not chosen accredited curricula. I've already spent several hundred dollars (thankfully, some is still returnable). I really felt discouraged last night. I have never considered accreditation!

I would like to ask how you all deal with this issue. If you are not using accredited curricula, are you having problems with your students being accepted into college?

I'm very timid about trusting that my dc will ace the ACT/SAT. I feel nervous about putting all of my eggs into this one basket. I'm second guessing the curricula choices I've made at this point because they are not accredited. I do not even know what my choices are for accredited curricula or accredited schools in Alabama.

Can anyone offer some practical suggestions to me so that I can really know what I need to do? I don't want to jeopardize my children's futures. UGH!!!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Plenty of homeschoolers have been accepted by great colleges with only the diploma provided to them by their parents -- no school diploma, no accreditation.

Yes, test scores will probably be more important than usual since homeschoolers do not have class rank and mommy grades are suspect. But plenty of people here have gone the parental diploma route with no problems.

Look at the thread of where WTM students have gotten accepted just this year. It's an impressive list -- and most of the parents here do NOT use an accredited high school.

She's absolutely wrong. I know many, many students who have gotten into college with what I am sure are average ACTs and SATs and no accredited diploma. It's hard to know for sure because no one really tells you their children's scores (as a former statistics major, this annoys me, but that is another thread). However, based on the schools their children go to, they had average scores. The cases I know that went to a school that is ranked in the top 30, well then I can guarantee you those kids had good scores, because even graduating from our top ranked PS, you don't get into that level of school without out top scores with or without an official diploma.

However, the best thing you can do is select the schools you thing your child might apply to (make sure you pick a safety or two, and a reach school) and find out what their websites say. Yes, some may mention accreditation, for those you'll need to try to speak to their home school admissions liaison if they have one and find out what they mean by that. Know your state law so you can tell them that is not required if it is not.

Hi, I am only speaking of personal experience here...and this was 10 years ago...and in Illinois. And, I've posted this story before, so if you've already read it - just ignore me. :tongue_smilie:

One of my sisters homeschooled high school and ended up graduating from a 1st tier law school.

I could ask her for you, but I'm pretty sure she never took the ACT or SAT (I never took the SAT, either and I graduated from a large university). As far as accredited curriculum - yeah, right. I don't think they even had anything accredited for homeschool use. I think my mom just bought some books from the bookstore. She stopped everything that resembled homeschooling about halfway through high school.

OK, I'll tell you how she got into law school...

She started taking community college classes while she was supposed to be homeschooling high school. At some point, my mom made her get her GED (you don't have to do this - I think my mom just didn't know). My sister's grades were so high from the classes she took at the CC that a small state university offered her a full scholarship to transfer to their school. My sister turned that down and applied to a large university - she got in, but no scholarship. Her grades were very high there, too (and her LSAT was high)...so she applied to a small law school in California. They offered her a scholarship there and she went for 2-3 semesters maybe (I can't remember). Her grades were really high there, too. She applied for a transfer to a very prestigious law school ;) (*ahem* expensive) and they accepted her - but with no scholarship. She ended up graduating from that law school.

I would be worried about accreditation, too...if I hadn't watched my sister go through that. Honestly, by the time she reached the university, no one knew or cared that she had homeschooled.

I don't think things have changed that much in 10 years. I mean, maybe they have.

:confused: I'm really curious to see if anyone else has a story like this.

When I was in high school, colleges were interested in more than SAT scores for school students. They were interested in class work, volunteer and extracurricular activities, musical and other side hobbies, and so forth. The valedictorian of my class -- who was a fairly one-dimensional academic whiz -- was waitlisted at Harvard, and two relatively "lesser" students with a broader range of interests were admitted. So don't be heartbroken. But I think you should NOT see coursework or the SATs as the single item your child needs to be guaranteed admission. First, there are no guarantees. Second, colleges generally are interested in young people who will be interesting students and graduates, not only the types who can ace standardized tests. Don't lose heart. There are simply too many counterexamples.

There's one of those moms in every group. :D There's also her arch enemy, the "I didn't keep track of anything or do any testing and Harvard called and asked my little darling to attend" mom. :lol:

Obviously, I have no experience with getting dc into college, but I can offer you general advice: don't ever let what one person says rock you. Too many people have extreme views that are based only on their own limited view.

There are certain states that require diplomas from schools with accreditation--Georgia comes to mind although I believe I have over simplified the situation with my first statement. If your state does not require an umbrella or specific accreditation, then I do not believe it is a necessary thing.

However--anecdotal reports will not help you sleep better at night. All of us have moments of doubt. Eventually you need to focus on the trust you have in your children, your abilities and the Hive. ;)

My plan was always to put my son in school for the last two years of high school specifically because of this issue. He has dyslexia and has trouble scoring well on tightly timed standardized tests (even with extended time). Originally, I planned to have him do dual enrollment at the local cc, but we ended up sending him to a private IB school instead.

There are some universities that I've looked at that require a minimum ACT/SAT score and not much else. The minimum score seems fairly low as well. These are not just CCs, but 4 year universities. These requirements are true for all applicants, not just home-schooled ones. I also would check out several college websites and look specifically what they require from homeschoolers, most have a section specifically for that.

The other thing I would suggest is the book How to be a high-school Superstar. It's geared towards traditional B&M students, but it's a great options for homeschoolers, those who generally have more time to pursue interests. It gave me some great ideas, and I'm having ds read it over the summer.

I should be all peppy and nice.... with Daydream Believer in the background...

but... your friend is just one of those downer kind of people without all the information she thinks she has.

Curriculum cannot be accredited independently. That's the first clue that she is just making it tough on you. There are accredited schools that are using the same materials I use, but that doesn't make me accredited. I don't think she understands what she thinks she does....

admissions at colleges will vary.....

I have a good friend who piloted the high school program that I use. Parent issued transcripts. Top notch ACT scores... new to homeschooling when they piloted the program. The son is on full ride scholarship to an engineering university. lack of "accredited" transcript didn't matter at that state school.

Here are some other's "wisdom" and thoughts out there on this topic.

I think this link will work? read the whole thing with various letters and input.

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/faq/faq-misc.aspx#q2

and this one

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/faq.asp#D15

there are groups like NAHRS and some others that you pay the fees, and they let you pick your own materials and you get an accredited thingy to make others happy :)

If the collective experiences of a bunch of my friends in several states is anything... it didn't matter as much as your friend is suggesting.

-crystal

I'm in the same situation as my daughter will start 9th grade next year. I am not really concerned about accreditation (there are actually some public high schools that are not accreditted). My issue is record keeping - not my strong point at all.

There are different ways to go about this other then an umbrella school. You can simply do a diploma program like the one PA Homeschoolers offers http://www.phaa.org/. (There are others like Erie Homeschoolers, Mason Dixson...). You do all your own stuff they just require that you complete certain courses (in this case ones that comply with the PA law like 4 years of English, 3 years of math, etc). They don't require specific curriculum and they keep all the records for you and prepare the transcript and diploma. The fee is minimal. I do NOT feel that homeschoolers need to do a diploma program. From all the research I have done it really doesn't make any difference when applying to colleges.

I personally am looking for something that will give us a more planned out curriculum and some accountability so I have been looking at some umbrella schools like Kolbe and Seton...but not really for the diploma more for the record keeping and organization!

Thank you all for these quick responses. My first reaction is that of relief. I most appreciate the suggestions for practical help. I will be calling the local and near-by colleges/universities in my area for further information for their opinion about the courses that I have planned for next year.

My friend also suggested that I call Abeka. If they would accept the curricula I have planned to meet their college requirements, that would be a good sign. If not, then I have reason to be concerned.

My dc generally have average standardized test scores. My friend recommended that we start practicing for the ACT test and actually take one in the summer to establish a base line. Since dd will only be in 9th grade in the fall, I am under the impression that a score received this summer would not impact college acceptance.... Can you all confirm that this would be SAFE to do?

My friend stressed how important it is to make at least a 20 on ACT... a bare minimum for the cc here (I think). (I haven't looked up this information to confirm.... another phone call to make). Her point was to aggressively pursue everything within my power to make sure dc have every opportunity for acceptance.

It is time for us to start school this morning, so I'll be away from the computer for a little while. I will be checking in when I can to read responses. I am so thankful for everyone's help..... TRULY!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

My friend stressed how important it is to make at least a 20 on ACT... a bare minimum for the cc here (I think). (I haven't looked up this information to confirm.... another phone call to make). Her point was to aggressively pursue everything within my power to make sure dc have every opportunity for acceptance.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to have a baseline idea of how your dd will do on the ACT this summer. I wouldn't consider signing up for the official test, though. I'd recommend getting the Real ACT book (either buy it or borrow it from the library). Let her work through one full test untimed so she knows what is on each section. Then, if you want, have her run through a full test timed. Then you will both know what is on the test and what kinds of things she needs to work on over the next several years.

Since she's just beginning high school, her math & science scores may not be that great, but you will both see what kinds of things she needs to learn in her math courses to do well on the ACT. If you're really worried, you can have her do another practice ACT over the following summer and see if she's improving.

The other thing to consider is that if she really doesn't test well due to something like stress, then that is not going to be improved by using an "accredited" program. As a few others have said, if the testing is an issue, but she tends to learn just fine, then you could have her go to your local CC and then transfer to a 4-yr college. There are many different ways to get a college education, and some don't involve the SAT or ACT.

Best wishes to all of you!

Brenda

Test scores matter. The thing is that they matter whether an applicant is coming from the most recognized/uber accredited school, homeschooled or a small unaccredited private school. A student with rotten test scores from an accredited school faces admissions challenges.

Homeschooling is no longer obscure and unknown to college admissions. It eases the mind to look at college websites and the common ap site and realize they have instructions and procedures for homeschooled applicants.

Maybe there is a bit more "certainty" in attending an accredited school and doing well enough on the tests to be a competitive applicant. However, with all the various ways to validate the high school experience these days, that seems like a big maybe to me. What is an SAT Subject Test other than a rigorous final exam? The AP exam doesn't change because a homeschooler is taking it.

We have a great opportunity as homeschoolers to take the 4 years of high school and make them incredible. If we do so, it will show. If a particular college doesn't care for this type of unique experience, there are plenty which do and I suspect would be a better life choice for us. Just my thought.

There's one of those moms in every group. :D There's also her arch enemy, the "I didn't keep track of anything or do any testing and Harvard called and asked my little darling to attend" mom. :lol:

Obviously, I have no experience with getting dc into college, but I can offer you general advice: don't ever let what one person says rock you. Too many people have extreme views that are based only on their own limited view.

:iagree:

When I'm feeling tookish, I like to get these two moms sitting together and watch. :lurk5:

I think that college admissions are competitive. It is realistic to realize this. Further, colleges need something of substance in order to get to a decision of yes. So it is worth it for a homeschooler to make sure they are providing a body of information that allows for some possitive assessment.

That might be dual enrollment, AP exam results, SAT 2 Subject Test results, outside competition experience (FLL, National History Day, math competitions, science competitions, National Latin Exam, mythology exams, Computational Linguistics. debate, etc), or a host of other things that I haven't thought of.

An accredited charter or magnet school could be an option. But accredited doesn't guarantee quality. (After all, just about every under performing school in the country has an accredidation. That doesn't mean that the students are learning.)

As we approach high school, it does feel like I'm starting all over with homeschooling. The same feelings of being about to ruin my children that I had when thinking about teaching reading and math and writing are coming back in spades. Sometimes I want to enroll them in school just so that it isn't all my responsibility anymore.

I just got used to the idea that I really can homeschool high school- that I won't mess this up... then last night, I had a conversation with a homeschooling mom at my chruch that has rocked my world.

My vision of homeschooling my first high schooler got reduced to a bottom-line of cold, hard facts last night. I was talking to a very well-respected homeschooler who has a couple of college graduates and one more child in high school now. When all of her children got to high school age, she and her dh used a local magnet school instead of homeschooling high school. There was a reason for such a move: accreditation.

Here was her bottom line: It is wise to use curricula (or a school) that is accredited so that the student will have a better chance of being accepted into college. Without accreditation the student MUST make a HIGH ACT/SAT score in order to look favorable to colleges/universities.

She made it clear how I have to promote my dc and that colleges are ONLY interested in the numbers... the cold, hard facts... data only. If dc can't make the numbers (high test scores) then they are sunk. It sounded quite dismal. I felt emotionally shaken after our talk.

I have not chosen accredited curricula. I've already spent several hundred dollars (thankfully, some is still returnable). I really felt discouraged last night. I have never considered accreditation!

I would like to ask how you all deal with this issue. If you are not using accredited curricula, are you having problems with your students being accepted into college?

I'm very timid about trusting that my dc will ace the ACT/SAT. I feel nervous about putting all of my eggs into this one basket. I'm second guessing the curricula choices I've made at this point because they are not accredited. I do not even know what my choices are for accredited curricula or accredited schools in Alabama.

Can anyone offer some practical suggestions to me so that I can really know what I need to do? I don't want to jeopardize my children's futures. UGH!!!

She is entitled to her opinion. However, the vast majority of homeschooled graduates take their parent-generated diplomas and transcripts in hand and go off merrily to college.

FTR, *curriculum* is never, ever accredited. Only schools are. If someone were to use all ABeka and did every.single.assignment.just.like.school but were not enrolled in ABeka Academy, no accrediation would kick in when applying to college.

Here's a FAQ from HomeLife Academy regarding accreditation. Click on #2. It's the best discussion I've seen regarding that whole accreditation schmoozle.

My friend also suggested that I call Abeka. If they would accept the curricula I have planned to meet their college requirements, that would be a good sign. If not, then I have reason to be concerned.

whoa whoa whoa

giggle.

Abeka college? does that mean PCC?

I assume she means that if you have any intention of enrolling at Pensacola Christian College??? you can read their home school policy on line. It says individual basis. They recognize "non traditional" routes.

If you don't plan to attend there, then the getting PCC's opinion doesn't matter at all.

ps... If that is the college she is talking about they are not fully accredited just yet by the way. T

here they say on their website they are in process of it

http://www.pcci.edu/newsevents/2011/tracsannouncement2.html

I doubt that Abeka, the curriculum company, well... I just need to go laugh at all of this and say don't listen to your friend. Why would Abeka encourage you to use a competitor's product?

:grouphug:

-crystal

Thank you all for these quick responses. My first reaction is that of relief. I most appreciate the suggestions for practical help. I will be calling the local and near-by colleges/universities in my area for further information for their opinion about the courses that I have planned for next year.

I'm assuming you mean PCC, which is not the gold standard, BTW.

If you call the colleges, be sure to say that you're asking about their policies for homeschooled applicants.

Also, if by "curricula" you mean "the stack of books I'm using to teach those subjects," colleges don't care. They only care about ACT/SAT scores, sometimes transcripts, and possibly portfolios (depending on the college, and they don't even usually ask for those until they've already seen transcripts/ACT/SAT scores).

While my guys have the high ACT scores, plenty of local hs students are far more average and none have had problems getting accepted into various colleges with home-issued diplomas.

A 20 on the ACT is not high. It wouldn't be what we'd shoot for in scores even for average. If that ends up being the "final" score, I'd look at starting at a community college.

I wouldn't worry about taking and ACT/SAT for real in 9th grade - that could be rather discouraging. Instead, do what was suggested earlier and do a practice one at home if you're curious. Remember though, your student hasn't had the level of education for the test yet. That's what's supposed to come over the next 3 years...

I wouldn't consider PCC any sort of standard for college admission.

As we approach high school, it does feel like I'm starting all over with homeschooling. The same feelings of being about to ruin my children that I had when thinking about teaching reading and math and writing are coming back in spades. Sometimes I want to enroll them in school just so that it isn't all my responsibility anymore.

Good grief. I've read enough of your posts to know that you're not going to "ruin" your kids.

For all the diversity represented on these forums, every one of the participants here has one thing in common: all of you care enough to try your best to educate your kids. Contrast that with even the best public schools, where your kids would be just one more cog in the machine. Are your kids better off with you doing your best for them, or with often time-serving teachers for whom your kids' welfare is at best a secondary consideration? (And, yes, I know there are some excellent teachers in public schools; unfortunately not nearly enough of them.)

I frequently talk to homeschool moms who are worried about high school, particularly math and science. The truth is that there are a lot of good curriculum materials out there for both subjects, and that even if you aren't particularly great at math or science your kids are probably going to learn much more about math and science with you doing your best to help them than they'd learn in any but the best public school classrooms.

You folks are all heroes to me.

When I'm feeling tookish, I like to get these two moms sitting together and watch. :lurk5:

I think that college admissions are competitive. It is realistic to realize this. Further, colleges need something of substance in order to get to a decision of yes. So it is worth it for a homeschooler to make sure they are providing a body of information that allows for some possitive assessment.

That might be dual enrollment, AP exam results, SAT 2 Subject Test results, outside competition experience (FLL, National History Day, math competitions, science competitions, National Latin Exam, mythology exams, Computational Linguistics. debate, etc), or a host of other things that I haven't thought of.

An accredited charter or magnet school could be an option. But accredited doesn't guarantee quality. (After all, just about every under performing school in the country has an accredidation. That doesn't mean that the students are learning.)

:lol:

SHA, accreditation of the high school, curricula is never accredited, has some benefit in limited situations. Cosmetology school is the one that always comes to mind. Harvard doesn't care, but some cosmetology schools do and won't accept a student without either an accredited high school diploma, or a GED. I've also heard of other situations requiring the same, but that is the exception. For the most part, a homeschooling parent's diploma is fine. As for colleges, they tend to look mostly at test scores for homeschoolers, but I'm sure that if the tests are lower that a student can present a comprehensive portfolio to show the depth of their high school studies and dual enrollment classes can also help to verify "mommy" grades. IOW, don't worry! That being said, we did choose to go with an accredited high school program. We chose it for other reasons, but accreditation is one of the reasons we're hoping to complete the program.

Test scores matter. The thing is that they matter whether an applicant is coming from the most recognized/uber accredited school, homeschooled or a small unaccredited private school. A student with rotten test scores from an accredited school faces admissions challenges.

Yes, but they matter more if you don't have any other outside validation of ability/achievement.

This is the mom I want to be! Now, how to get Harvard to call????:lol:

My dc generally have average standardized test scores. My friend recommended that we start practicing for the ACT test and actually take one in the summer to establish a base line. Since dd will only be in 9th grade in the fall, I am under the impression that a score received this summer would not impact college acceptance.... Can you all confirm that this would be SAFE to do?

It is time for us to start school this morning, so I'll be away from the computer for a little while. I will be checking in when I can to read responses. I am so thankful for everyone's help..... TRULY!

Goodness. You just have to have a 20 on the ACT??? My daughter in 7th grade made a 17 on the ACT. Right now, she could take it right now as an old 9th grader and make more than a 20. To get the full scholarships, you need to get at least a 30. The state universities in Alabama are homeschool friendly from the research I have done myself so I can develop classes for her in high school. In fact, Auburn University has a scholarship for just homeschoolers. I am not even worried about my child getting into college with just my transcripts. She will be taking some SAT II subject tests and maybe a couple of AP classes through PA Homeschoolers. But we haven't crossed that bridge yet. We will definitely study for the ACT by taking practice tests and practice essays but I am not going to worry about it. I am in an umbrella school bc I have to be due to state law but all I will do is turn MY transcripts in for a diploma. I wouldn't be worried about it.

First (((Sweet Home Alabama))) -- hugs and encouragement! What an unpleasant shock! And so unnecessary! I'm sure this homeschooling mama meant well, and how wonderful that is what worked for her, BUT, it is NOT true that accreditation is *required*, or that *high* ACT/SAT scores are necessary, or that going to a high school is the only way to get to college…

The truth is that accreditation is almost never needed. I have heard of virtually no one on this Board or in real life needing that.

And while it is true that high ACT/SAT scores will earn you scholarships, the minimum scores needed for acceptance/entrance into universities -- certainly public universities -- are much LOWER than you would think. (Check out the chart about 3/4ths of the way down in this Wikipedia article that compares percent of students getting specific ACT and SAT scores.) Note from that link that approximately 20-21 is an *average* ACT score. When you start looking into admissions, you'll find that most universities only require a *minimum* ACT score of 20-22 -- community colleges often have even lower minimums of 16-18. (Generally, colleges more want to see ACT/SAT scores from homeschoolers as "verification" of "mommy grades".)

Just to compare: 10 is the minimum score you can get on the ACT for just showing up, while 36 is the maximum score. A score of 20-21 is the national average (50% students who take the test score above/below that score). A score of 26-28 is usually the minimum for *partial* academic scholarship consideration, and 30-32 is usually the minimum for *full* academic scholarship consideration. (And, BTW -- there are LOTS of scholarships out there not at all tied to academics or ACT/SAT scores -- usually having to do with volunteer/community service work, writing essays or doing projects; ethnic background; involvement of the student in a specific organization; or the student's parent or grandparent's involvement in the military, a specific organization, or place of work...)

In addition, as another previous poster said, curriculum is never accredited; only schools or accreditation companies are accredited. And there are quite a few high schools out there that are NOT accredited, award diplomas, and colleges don't bat an eye at accepting students from these unaccredited schools. So accreditation is NOT a requirement for a diploma, nor for high school graduation, nor for acceptance/admission into college. See this recent thread on diplomas and accreditation -- in my post I gave a lot of information on accreditation.

The following is quoted from the Cornerstone Christian Academy (which was linked by a previous poster); this different page of that website is specific information re: accreditation and colleges (I quoted only the first 2 colleges):

"Does high school accreditation make any difference for a student trying to gain entrance into a college? No. The following Colleges and Universities said high school accrediation made no difference for a student to gain entrance to their schools, nor did it play any part in a student applying for and/or receiving a scholarship.

Northeast Alabama Community College:

Requires home school students and non-accreidted high school students to either take the ACT and score a 16 or higher or take the GED test. Accredited high school students do not have to take the ACT test but are required to take the placement test to gain entrance. If they take the ACT and scrore higher than 20, then they do not have to take the placement test. (256-638-4418).

University of Alabama:

There is no difference in accredited high school students and non-accredited high school students wanting to attend their college or for scholarships. All students must take the ACT test and score 22 or above. No difference is made for scholarships either. Scholarships are based on GPA, test scores, and student activities. (Office of Admissions 1-800-933-2262)"

And finally, as yet another poster said, there is more than one route into a university:

- dual enrollment while in high school at the local community college and transfer

- graduate high school, go to the CC for a certificate, 2-year degree, or just a number of "general ed." coursework and then transfer

- distance classes (college courses at home) from an accredited online program and then transfer to the campus of choice

- distance classes and a degree entirely at home (example: thru College Plus)

- take a gap year and then apply to the university; depending on what you did in that gap year may make you highly desirable to the university!

- work for a few years and then apply as a returning adult

- military service first and later attend college using the GI bill

- go for an apprenticeship, certificate, or 2-year degree now; work; and later return as an adult for a 4-year degree if desired/needed

I would like to ask how you all deal with this issue. If you are not using accredited curricula, are you having problems with your students being accepted into college? ... Can anyone offer some practical suggestions

Not using an accreditation umbrella school or company here. In fact, no one of the many homeschoolers I know in our state does that -- and not a single story of being rejected from ANY college/university. The homeschoolers have gone to private and public schools in this state and in other states and I have never heard of any issues about accreditation.

Also, never seen any problems with ACT/SAT test scores and college admissions. For example: our younger DS (with mild LDs and who doesn't do so well on these tests) scored right in the 50% range -- extremely average for both the ACT and SAT -- and all the universities he sent the scores to have been "courting" him (2 in-state public universities; 1 out-of-state private university). While he's not in the "scholarship" range of those tests, admissions is not a problem at all -- he can still choose where HE wants to go.

Practical Suggestions:

- Call around to the universities in your state and find out what exactly IS their policy re: accreditation, homeschoolers, and ACT/SAT test scores.

- Talk to (OTHER) local, well-respected homeschoolers -- or even better -- see what your state's homeschool organization can share with you in the way of actual experience and suggestions. (Are you in Alabama? Try here. Are you in another state? Search here -- usually the first group is the state organization.)

I'm second guessing the curricula choices I've made at this point because they are not accredited… Can anyone offer some practical suggestions..

Again, no *curriculum* is accredited. Only a school or a an accreditation company is accredited -- if it has undergone the process of certification with the third party (regional or national) accreditation body. And even "being accredit" -- whether a school or an agency -- means nothing if that regional or national accreditation body is not recognized as worthy or valid by universities. See here.

BTW: I strongly suggest avoiding "opening the can of worms" of asking a college what curriculum to use. The ONLY time I have seen curriculum called into question: a few colleges have specific requirements re: foreign language curriculum and how much credit they accept it as. And even then, the student can take the college's language placement exam for proficiency level.

Practical Suggestions:

1. If you want an "accredited degree", consider an "umbrella"/cover school or accreditation program:

- Kolbe (Catholic) = http://www.kolbe.org/

- NARHS = http://www.narhs.org/

- West River Academy (international) = http://westriveracademy.com/

- Northstar Academy (Christian) = http://www.northstar-academy.org/

2. Consider classes through accredited online programs:

- Keystone = http://keystoneschoolonline.com/

- Seton (Catholic) = http://www.setonhome.org/

- Clonlara (international) = http://www.clonlara.org/

- Regina Coeli (Catholic) = http://www.reginacoeli.org/rca.php

- American School = http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/

3. ACT/SAT testing

- Practice with test prep material. Do a search for past threads/tags for specific recommendations.

- Take the PSAT in 10th & 11th grade -- it's cheap, doesn't "go on your record", and is good prep for the SAT. Score well in grade 11 (top 98-99%) and earn National Merit Scholar money!

- If you feel your scores are lower than desired, or are close to the scholarship minimum, invest in a good SAT course (several guarantee you a 150 point increase or your money back) and re-take the SAT.

4. "Stand Out" on college applications beyond test scores

- take a few AP courses or Honors courses during the high school years (options: online course; local school; AP coursework at home then take the test; etc.)

- take a few SAT II (Subject Tests); high scores here will look very good

- take a few dual enrollment courses at the local Community College

- be involved in some well-recognized leadership extracurriculars and community service (especially good to show you are a well-rounded student for college applications and for scholarships)

Don't Panic! :D <-- closest I can come to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" smiley. Really, you will do a great job, your students will do well, and everything is going to be FINE! BEST of luck, and warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Good grief. I've read enough of your posts to know that you're not going to "ruin" your kids.

For all the diversity represented on these forums, every one of the participants here has one thing in common: all of you care enough to try your best to educate your kids. Contrast that with even the best public schools, where your kids would be just one more cog in the machine. Are your kids better off with you doing your best for them, or with often time-serving teachers for whom your kids' welfare is at best a secondary consideration? (And, yes, I know there are some excellent teachers in public schools; unfortunately not nearly enough of them.)

I frequently talk to homeschool moms who are worried about high school, particularly math and science. The truth is that there are a lot of good curriculum materials out there for both subjects, and that even if you aren't particularly great at math or science your kids are probably going to learn much more about math and science with you doing your best to help them than they'd learn in any but the best public school classrooms.

Made my day. :)

Off to watch DS test his newly built catapult collection.

However--anecdotal reports will not help you sleep better at night. All of us have moments of doubt. Eventually you need to focus on the trust you have in your children, your abilities and the Hive. ;)

I haven't graduated anybody, yet. If I had that conversation with your friiend I might have felt like you - two years ago. Now, after stalking this board for over two I would just smile and say , "Thank you for your perspective." (And just as a point of reference, my children may be just a little above average intelligence and test takers.)

You all are soooooo

WONDERFUL !!!!

It will take me a while to get through all of this information, but you can bet that I will! :D

You all just have to know... my homeschool friend is a super person. She is highly respected as a successful homeschooler. Her children have excelled academically, and I have no doubt that she was telling me the truth according to her experiences. She gave me real examples to justify the need for accreditation. Her advice was given with the best intentions; I absolutely take her seriously. The decision to research this situation was the only wise thing for me to do.

When she looked at the home school catalog I showed her.... where the core of my curricula is from.... her first question, "Is this accredited?" ...also to mean "Is this from an accredited school?" became the focus of the rest of our conversation and thus the question I brought to the board.

I should have been clearer... I'm pretty sure she asked if it was from an accredited school, so I made a mistake in the way I presented my question to you all. :tongue_smilie:

I just talked to one of the universities close to me. After explaining what I want to use in 9th grade, this university would accept the curricula even though it is not from an accredited school. This is due ONLY to the fact that we are under a local home school covering. It's the membership through the covering that gives us that safety net. Also, this university requires a score of 20 on the ACT. I will verify all of this with my covering. I feel so *green*- so unexperienced, but I'm learning.

We will definitely be practicing for the ACT now... still unsure if taking the real test this summer is advisible or not.... one of you recommended not to take the "real" test.... but I'm still unclear WHY?

Again, thank you ALL for this awesome help!!!!! :001_smile:

We will definitely be practicing for the ACT now... still unsure if taking the real test this summer is advisible or not.... one of you recommended not to take the "real" test.... but I'm still unclear WHY?

My personal bias is towards NOT repeatedly taking the tests. Yes, of course re-take the test if you were ill, not prepared, or for some other reason, because you do want the test to realistically reflect your abilities. BUT -- that's just the issue for me -- I do NOT think these tests can ever accurately reflect all students' true abilities. At best, they reflect the ability of students to learn how to take tests. Think of how many students are now getting perfect or near-perfect SAT scores, largely because they've learned "the system". That tells you nothing about a student's actual abilities to think, or learn; what their strengths are; how well they will do in a college setting; etc.

Now getting off my soap box... :rant: Just felt it was important that you know where I was coming from in this response re: testing

Here are what I see as disadvantages:

1. Expensive -- $50 a pop.

2. It tests 11th/12th grade material -- especially in the math area. That is very likely going to be very discouraging to a student who has only had pre-algebra or algebra: "I'm stupid! I didn't even understand most of the questions!" Depending on your student's personality, that could end up making future test-taking and doing well VERY difficult -- certainly it will drastically increase your student's test-anxiety.

3. Some colleges require you to report ALL tests scores, so the more times you take it, the more it can look like you turned this into an attempt to "teach to the test" in order to achieve a high score -- which makes your student's score not "realistic" compared to the majority of students who only take it once, maybe twice. These schools are more likely to look at your student's first score for a realistic comparison -- but that would be a low score because your student had not yet taken the high school material being tested.

4. Test-taking burn-out. Constantly prepping for and taking tests is exhausting. Would you rather your student spend all their time and mental energy on testing -- or using high school to actually be learning and doing extracurriculars and discovering/exploring their gifts, strengths and interests?

See here for more pros and cons (specifically on the SAT). Here is what the ACT itself says about multiple test-taking. And what the SAT says.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Oh, how sweet. Ruin is probably an overstatement.

However, I do have kids with some goals that include some pretty stiff competition. I know that if we come down to the end and they aren't accepted that I will wonder if the opportunities offered at the local high school would have made the difference.

Of course there is no way to know. And it is just as possible that if they went to the local secondary school, they would get lost among the 4,000 other students there. It's not like they are graduating perpect products in every instance.

You keep talking as if a 20 is hard to do.. It is NOT.

:iagree: It's a fairly low score for a college bound student IMO.

There is one school my guy applied to (and got accepted to - with merit aid) that asked for a high school transcipt overseen by a third party of some sort. We don't have that. I have a feeling it's mainly a matter of semantics, but at the moment, we've just opted to not worry about that school. He has 4 others he's already been accepted to - all of which have given him merit aid (ACT score much higher than 20).

In this area there are plenty of "average stat" students in the homeschooling circle. All who wanted to got accepted into colleges and none that I'm aware of had any sort of accredited transcript.