Menu

Would you eat deli meat left out all night?

Would you eat this deli meat?  

1. 1. Would you eat this deli meat?

• Yes
    • No

If it smelled okay, I'd eat it. Now.

Not much longer than going to a party or a buffet and eating that meat; who knows how many hours that coldcut tray's been sitting out.

I wouldn't really trust it to put back in the fridge and eat a few days from now, though.

eta: wait. did I miss something? It's still in its packaging, right? (re: The mention of bacteria, and viruses??)

Edited by bbkaren

Where's the H377 No option?

It's not worth the couple of dollars to risk food poisoning!

Meat needs to be below 40F.

That's all there is to it.

Some ladies have said they'd immediately heat it and eat it now. I still say no. The problem with that is that while the heating to 140F or above would indeed kill the bacteria, it doesn't destroy the toxins (think of toxins as being bacteria poop -- not at all accurate, but you get the idea) that the bacteria left behind. Toxins make you sick too.

Throw the meat out and just consider it one of those mistakes we all make now and then.

Deli meat is loaded with salt, preservatives, and whatnot so that it lasts as long as possible for the buyer.

I don't eat deli meat, but if I did and this happened to me, it would get eaten. It has so many bacteria retardants in it that it is probably safe.

OTOH, I guess, too, it would depend on the brand. Boar's Head doesn't add all that stuff and I wouldn't eat that if it were left out......