Menu

What are your opinons on Saxon?

Well, I have almost decided on a geometry course for next year. I am inbetween 3 curriculums, TT, Saxon, and Harold Jacobs.

I like the way TT teaches, step by step, Saxon has lots of review, love it!, and HJ seems good, but I am slightly hesitant on it.

What do you think of Saxon's new geometry course? Should I do HJ and TT together? Or should I do Saxon and TT together.

Saxon is just one of those "love-hate":glare: curriculums, and I was going to use their alg1 curriculum so that I can remember it for the PSAT's, what about their geometry curriculum? Should I just stick with HJ and TT? I have never used Saxon or HJ so which is better?:confused:

I thought that I had read that if you do Saxon's Alg. I, Alg. II, and Adv. Math courses, then you would have covered geometry without having to do a separate course.

My dd loves Saxon. I guess a lot of people don't like it, though. Maybe you won't know until you try it.

Yes, Algebra II (last half) and Advanced Math (through Lesson 63) gives you all of formal Geometry because Saxon actually teaches plain geometry beginning in Saxon Math 5/4 and completes it in Advanced Math. All principles of formal geometry are covered and more. I suppose under pressure they have published a formal Geometry to satisfy a market demand. Choose the plan you like best. I have no experience with Saxon Geometry but we we are finishing Saxon Algebra II now and will start Advanced Math next fall in 10th grade and my dgd will have earned credits in Algebra I, II, Geometry and Advanced Math/Trig in high school.

Saxon works for us.

My younger son uses it and my daughter is just beginning Algebra 1. I plan on using it throughout high school.

I purchased the Saxon Teacher for Algebra 1 and it is excellent. It goes through the whole lesson and then explains how to solve every problem.

It also reviews the test questions.

I taught Saxon Algebra 2 and Advanced Math in a co-op type setting 4 years ago. I had heard good things about it and was going to consider it for my kids until I taught it then. Keep in mind that none of the students I had were going to be math or engineering majors.

I would begin by teaching the material the "Saxon" way and after many stares and questions, I would teach the same material the way I learned it in school. Nine times out of ten the kids understood the latter much easier. I even had a student who had used Saxon all the way through. Students would ask me why the Saxon author couldn't have said it my way. I think I understand why he structures the program the way he does, but I don't think it is necessary.

In the Algebra 2 lessons there would be 2-3 practice problems with possibly a couple more in the 30 problem set. In the Advanced Math lessons there would only be 2-3 practice problems in with the 30 review set. I felt that the students needed more practice over the topic taught each day but have a little less mixed review.

Oh, I remember that at one point the book said it was okay to leave negative exponents in answers. That was a big NO, NO when I was in school. I asked a friend who taught ps math if that had changed, and she said no way.

I have a math degree and LOVE Algebra 2, Trig, etc. I truly enjoy working problems. I don't believe Saxon is a program that I will ever consider with my own children.

In the Algebra 2 lessons there would be 2-3 practice problems with Oh, I remember that at one point the book said it was okay to leave negative exponents in answers. That was a big NO, NO when I was in school. I asked a friend who taught ps math if that had changed, and she said no way.

Mary, do you remember the lesson that was in, or around where? I'd like to alert dd to this. She's in AM now, and I hope she has not gotten a faulty base from Alg. II. I thought Saxon was a trustworthy text. Thanks for pointing out this error!

Mary, I just called dh (mech. eng.) and asked him about neg. exponents in answers. He's certainly not a math teacher, but he did say he remembers having neg. exponents in his answers in physics. Is it possible there is more than one correct way to do this?

Different teachers/different books say different things about negative exponents in answers. In the algebra classes I took, it was permissible. Certainly a student should always know how to eliminate negative exponents, if needed. I'm not sure it's a reason to eliminate an entire program.

None of my children liked Saxon, AT ALL! DD is using TT, after we tried a couple of others after Saxon. She likes TT way better. TT is more in order when they review concepts. Saxon is more random, which dd did not like. This doesn't mean we think Saxon is bad, it's just a program that does not work for my kids for one reason or another.

We supplement with Key To... books.

my dd had used Saxon from 2nd grade and had no problems with it until Algebra 1 when she hit a wall. She switched to TT and then when she finished it she went back and completed Saxon with no problems that time. She just wanted to have a good solid base wiht alg. 1 that is why she ended up completing 2 different algebras. She went to public school this year, was in Honors Geometry using McDougal Littell (she hated the book) but still ended up with mostly a's and some b's. She will be back homeschooling next year and she asked to use TT Alg. 2. She said that TT is easier to understand than Saxon and she felt that when she did Saxon Alg.1 that the book left out some steps. Now she did not use any of the cd's with Saxon , just the book. She rarely used the cds with TT but she was glad to have them when she did need an additional look at a lesson or when she got an answer wrong.

My dd loves Saxon, and honestly, I don't know if she would have advanced as she has with another program, but I don't know for sure. As far as the negative exponents, they want students to be familiar with both negative exponents, and putting that expression with positive exponents into the denominator. They ask students to be able to do it both ways. My dd said that they used negative exponents on the Math SAT subject test and she thinks she's seen it in the SAT practice too. :)

So there's truly a "love hate" relationship going on with Saxon!:lol: I am considering using it for Algebra 1, and maybe using TT geometry next year. I am really enjoying how everyone has different takes on Saxon, which is great. Everyone is different, and I think it could work for me if I get a tutor, or the cd's.

I so wanted to do chalkdust geometry this year, but the price didn't agree with my mom. By the way, what geometry courses do your kids use? How do they work and what made you choose them over all of the other curriculum out there?:001_huh:

I taught Saxon Algebra 2 and Advanced Math in a co-op type setting 4 years ago. I had heard good things about it and was going to consider it for my kids until I taught it then. Keep in mind that none of the students I had were going to be math or engineering majors.

Can you clarify.... do mean that Saxon may be a better fit for engineering types?

I would begin by teaching the material the "Saxon" way and after many stares and questions, I would teach the same material the way I learned it in school. Nine times out of ten the kids understood the latter much easier. I even had a student who had used Saxon all the way through. Students would ask me why the Saxon author couldn't have said it my way. I think I understand why he structures the program the way he does, but I don't think it is necessary.

Can you expand on this or give an example? I've heard others mention the "Saxon" way but I'd love to have specific examples so I can better understand what is meant by this.

Thanks!

I hope it's okay to post this quote from Art Reed's Saxon site in regards to doing a Geometry course in between Alg 1 and 2. Anyway, here goes:

"The geometry learned through the first half of Advanced Mathematics is all that is needed to be successful in that area on the ACT or SAT tests. I see no reason to add another separate geometry course. However, if parents desire that students take a separate geometry course, they should not place that course between Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 . During the time lapse, which could be as long as twelve to fifteen months, the average student will have forgotten many of the concepts encountered in Algebra 1 necessary for success in Algebra 2."

My ds took a year to do Geometry when he was in the middle of VideoText, but that was because he was bogged down with the tough concepts and needed a break. It worked for him, but he didn't need constant review. My dd does need that so we will go with the plan above.

One other thing, my ds did all of his algebra without me as a teacher. It was all VideoText. So, I had no clue about algebra when my dd and I began with 1/2. Now having completed Algebra 1, I can now say that I know it as well as she does, maybe even better. :) And, it's fun. AND, we did it, just her and I with a little help from the Saxon Teacher lady. But, we only watched about 3 or 4 of the intros to the lessons. Otherwise, it really was easy to figure out. Now, on to the next level!

Edited by LatinTea
Took out a word

Can you clarify.... do mean that Saxon may be a better fit for engineering types?

Can you expand on this or give an example? I've heard others mention the "Saxon" way but I'd love to have specific examples so I can better understand what is meant by this.

Thanks!

I'm not saying it is best for engineer types just that the students I had students who were not strong in math.

It's hard for me to site examples because I taught this course four years ago, and I do not own a book. I think the negative exponent thing just stood out in my mind because my high school teachers drilled it into our heads.

What I saw was that he taught a way to do higher level math problems using lower level skills, an approach to doing problems without teaching them new formulas, steps, etc. I do see how this could be beneficial for some students; however, I did not see the need for it in all students. I do remember many times of teaching students problems using methods I learned in school, and so many times they would ask me why Saxon couldn't do it that way. I always tried to Saxon material first, though.

I did not mean that Saxon is bad for all students. I did not like the books or feel that they would work for my kids. I just thought the OP should hear all sides.

Amy, I'm sorry I called you Mary! I must have gotten confused. I am really sorry about that!

Thank you for posting again. Would you mind explaining your 3rd paragraph a little more (specifically what you said about Saxon's using lower level skills to solve higher level problems, but without teaching new methods), and give an example or two? Some of us don't have very good math and science backgrounds, so sometimes it's hard for us to understand without an example. Thanks for considering this, and for your patience!:)

I'm not saying it is best for engineer types just that the students I had students who were not strong in math.

Interesting. I don't believe my dd is an 'engineer type'....maybe I'm wrong. That would be great news! I do know, however, that she is not strong in math. Well, she wasn't anyway until Saxon came along for her (and we've tried them all). And even then, it was awhile before it started to click. She still doesn't like math, but I can see that whatever Saxon does, it's starting to work with her. It just goes to show everyone is different with this thing we call math! ;)

Thanks for clarifying. I was just wondering if there was something about the setup or style that fit "engineer" brains better.

It's hard for me to site examples because I taught this course four years ago, and I do not own a book. I think the negative exponent thing just stood out in my mind because my high school teachers drilled it into our heads.

What I saw was that he taught a way to do higher level math problems using lower level skills, an approach to doing problems without teaching them new formulas, steps, etc. I do see how this could be beneficial for some students; however, I did not see the need for it in all students. I do remember many times of teaching students problems using methods I learned in school, and so many times they would ask me why Saxon couldn't do it that way. I always tried to Saxon material first, though.

I did not mean that Saxon is bad for all students. I did not like the books or feel that they would work for my kids. I just thought the OP should hear all sides.

Thanks for sharing. I totally understand about not remembering from 4 years ago.... I'm impressed with myself when I can remember what we did last week in school!

Saxon is a good program. The answer is the same with a negative exponent or not. My son and daughter both did Saxon through Calculus and had no problem with math in college. One majored in EE, the other is currently majoring in IT. Saxon does teach both ways of answering, leaving negative exponents and with positive exponents. The problem set actually asks for the answers in various ways.

Linda

Are you sure? I really want to use Saxon Algebra 1 and geometry together so that I won't forget algebra. I have been using SOS, and they don't exactly review concepts so that you have mastered them.

Can anyone list good algebra programs that will go through calculus? I have heard of Larson's and Lial's. Anything else?

:confused:

Yes Saxon does work. My third child has now completed Saxon Advanced Math. You do not need an extra geometry program with Saxon. I have never used one.

My son (the engineering major) only missed 3 problems in 2 attempts at the PSAT and 2 attempts at the SAT. The only math we did in high school was Saxon. He went to college on full scholarship based on his SAT scores.

My daughter has just finished her junior year at college. She has a 4.0 GPA. The only math she ever did was Saxon.

I have never seen the Saxon geometry book -- it is new out and I have never needed one in the past.

Linda

As a further note on this, DIVE recommends doing Saxon Geometry along WITH Algebra 1 and 2, thus using only two years to do all 3 texts. This is for gifted students only. I could not find a recommendation for Saxon Geometry on its own, but do remember reading somewhere that this course is for those who are NOT doing Saxon Advanced Math. This separate course would insure that the student has all the geometry he or she needs.

Thanks for the help! I have read so much good and bad, my head is now throbbing because of it! But I will try Saxon and see what happens. I am a very gifted child, it's just that things have to be explained a certain way and once I get it, there's no stopping me!:auto:

Saxon does appeal to me, and my mom wanted to use it for me this year, but I was scared that I wouldn't get a good education. Now I can't wait to start!:thumbup:

At our homeschooling convention, Art Reed said that John Saxon would be rolling over in his grave over the new Saxon geometry text. He believes that having that long of a break between Alg. 1 and 2 causes many students to forget too much of Alg. 1 and that all of the Saxon texts combined have more than enough geometry sprinkled throughout the series.

Laura

Saxon does appeal to me, and my mom wanted to use it for me this year, but I was scared that I wouldn't get a good education. Now I can't wait to start!:thumbup:

I hear you, LL. I have been worried about using Saxon and Apologia for the same reason. But many people have told me these programs are okay. Maybe not stellar, but okay. And enough people have used them and gotten into college, even good colleges, that they must at least be okay.

Please let us know how you do with Saxon!:)

I hear you, LL. I have been worried about using Saxon and Apologia for the same reason. But many people have told me these programs are okay. Maybe not stellar, but okay. And enough people have used them and gotten into college, even good colleges, that they must at least be okay.

Please let us know how you do with Saxon!:)

I will let you know how I do! I am also using Apologia as well next year, so we'll see what happens!:grouphug:

If I were to choose between those three only, it would be Jacobs. We've had all 3 in our house before. I agree with you that Saxon is often a love/hate relationship, and I lean to the latter for my dc and me. I'm coming in late, so won't go into what I don't like about Saxon or TT for us. The only reason we didn't stick with Jacobs is because dd found it boring, but not because it was bad.

Oops, I answered before reading (I rarely do, but once in a while I answer and then read so I can keep my answer short or for some other reason) and see you chose Saxon.

Oops, I answered before reading (I rarely do, but once in a while I answer and then read so I can keep my answer short or for some other reason) and see you chose Saxon.

That's ok, I was wondering who also enjoyed Harold Jacobs, I wanted to use it for geometry, but it had bad reviews. Their algebra 1 course seemed good though! My mom wants me to decide between Saxon and HJ, right now. Hopefully I choose the right one!!

What course did you use?:bigear:

That's ok, I was wondering who also enjoyed Harold Jacobs, I wanted to use it for geometry, but it had bad reviews. Their algebra 1 course seemed good though! My mom wants me to decide between Saxon and HJ, right now. Hopefully I choose the right one!!

What course did you use?:bigear:

DD did Life of Fred supplemented with a couple of rigourous older Geometries, the 1973 Dressler and one from AMS (can't think of the authors' names off the top of my head, but both start with B.) However, I'm not a Saxon fan after having tried it in earlier grades. Not a good fit for us.

DD did Life of Fred supplemented with a couple of rigourous older Geometries, the 1973 Dressler and one from AMS (can't think of the authors' names off the top of my head, but both start with B.) However, I'm not a Saxon fan after having tried it in earlier grades. Not a good fit for us.

Well, I won't know if I am a Saxon fan or a HG fan, or both. I'll just have to wait for the summer to find out and see what happens! :willy_nilly:

Saxon brought me closer to book burning than any other book in my entire life... I hate Saxon, very difficult for the non-math parent to teach.

It's interesting how we all have different experiences with Saxon. My ds did not like Saxon due to "too much review". My dd likes Saxon due to all the review. As for me, I am not a math person and have found that this curriculum has been my pathway to a real understanding of how to accomplish Algebra with clear rules and concepts. I love how it breaks all the big steps down into little steps. As for teaching, it teaches us! My dd and I get into the lesson together. I know we are all different and respect your opinion (there are plenty of people who do not learn well with Saxon), but for this non-math parent, it is satisfying to realize I still can learn math. And like it too! ;)

It's interesting how we all have different experiences with Saxon.

for this non-math parent, it is satisfying to realize I still can learn math. And like it too! ;)

Saxon brought me closer to book burning than any other book in my entire life... I hate Saxon, very difficult for the non-math parent to teach.

All experiences differ. For this mathy parent, Saxon was not a good fit, but as much as I don't like Saxon personally, it really does work for some. I just try not to state my full feelings on any curricula I have strong negative feelings about since the shoe is often on the other foot and someone loathes something I think is the best thing since sliced bread :D.

On Saxon Math...

Long ago I loved it, then I grew to hate it for many years. :glare:

Now I'm indifferent, warming up ever so slightly to it because...

I can barely believe I'm saying this, but...

I'm actually planning on using it again for review, though I swore to myself I would never, ever use it again.

(Note to self: Never say never :D ).

Actually, I wouldn't even be considering using Saxon again if I hadn't thought that I may have figured out a way to use it that will work for our homeschool and my student. What's best for our homeschool, and what's best for my student is what matters the most to me. KWIM? :-)

On Saxon Math...

Long ago I loved it, then I grew to hate it for many years. :glare:

Now I'm indifferent, warming up ever so slightly to it because...

Well, whatever works for the student right? I have so much to think about, and can't wait to start 10th grade next year! Actually, this summer:D:D:D

For my son, Saxon did not work. It broke the concepts down into such little steps that my son was unable to see the forest for the trees. And the worst part is that because he could do the problems, we didn't know this was happening until he tried to use his math some place else.

-Nan

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
For my son, Saxon did not work. It broke the concepts down into such little steps that my son was unable to see the forest for the trees. And the worst part is that because he could do the problems, we didn't know this was happening until he tried to use his math some place else.

-Nan

This was our experience as well. My ds looked great as long as the math he had to do was formatted like Saxon but if it wasn't he was lost because he didn't understand it at all.

That's funny because my kids REALLY wanted to burn our Saxon and were VERY disappointed when I would only let them throw it in the trash:lol:

This was our experience as well. My ds looked great as long as the math he had to do was formatted like Saxon but if it wasn't he was lost because he didn't understand it at all.

That's funny because my kids REALLY wanted to burn our Saxon and were VERY disappointed when I would only let them throw it in the trash:lol:

Wow, maybe Saxon isn't so good then... I don't know, I just hope I pick the right curriculum and get good SAT scores for college. I want a good curriculum, and I'll have to keep looking at all of the suggestions.:001_huh:

We are using Saxon Alg 1 for review this summer. DS is "math challenged" and so far, Saxon is working out really well. We have used TT and Abeka for Algebra last year. Both are good curricula, but ds did not retain and he needs the constant review.

Wow, maybe Saxon isn't so good then... I don't know, I just hope I pick the right curriculum and get good SAT scores for college. I want a good curriculum, and I'll have to keep looking at all of the suggestions.:001_huh:
Saxon did not work for my kids either. However, I have a suggestion: Pick the one you feel is best for YOU and just go with it, no matter what anyone says! Give it your best shot. If you find it doesn't work, then you can reassess what you want to do at that time.

As you've seen from the previous answers, no matter what curriculum you ask about, you will get both positive and negative responses! It's just the way it goes with so many different people and learning styles. Soooo...

Be positive about the final choice you make and don't look back!

Best wishes! :001_smile:

Saxon did not work for my kids either. However, I have a suggestion: Pick the one you feel is best for YOU and just go with it, no matter what anyone says! Give it your best shot. If you find it doesn't work, then you can reassess what you want to do at that time.

As you've seen from the previous answers, no matter what curriculum you ask about, you will get both positive and negative responses! It's just the way it goes with so many different people and learning styles. Soooo...

Be positive about the final choice you make and don't look back!

Best wishes! :001_smile:

:iagree: Thanks so much and you know what, I'll give Saxon a try, see how it works, and if not, then Lial's here I come!

Saxon is not my favorite.

I like the way Timberdoodle talks about it and then refers directly to Teaching Textbooks. That was in theri last catalog just out.

I would say that I agree whole heartedly with them.

Here is an excerpt, although you can read more on any TT page on their site:

Designed for Homeschoolers

A number of years ago we did the unthinkable and took a poke at a sacred cow when we said that we didn't like the conventional big-name home school math programs. Though some families were steadfast in their defense, there has since been an increasing number of families who have come to realize that
math programs originally designed to be used in government schools are wholly inadequate to meet the needs of home educators

You Don't Have to be a Math Teacher!

What is wrong with adapting a school-based text for home use? There are a couple of significant issues with doing that. First, because a typical school text assumes a knowledgeable math teacher, the explanations are often meager and brief. If you double as a math teacher, this will present no problem to you. However, many parents either did not take upper level math as a teen, or if they did, the process is just a distant, unpleasant memory. So sparse explanations in typical texts can be frustrating to both child and parent. Second, government schools' math texts often contain excessive use of terminology, making simple ideas seem complex.

HTH!:001_smile:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I like the way Timberdoodle talks about it and then refers directly to Teaching Textbooks. That was in theri last catalog just out.

I would say that I agree whole heartedly with them.

Here is an excerpt, although you can read more on any TT page on their site:

Designed for Homeschoolers

A number of years ago we did the unthinkable and took a poke at a sacred cow when we said that we didn't like the conventional big-name home school math programs. Though some families were steadfast in their defense, there has since been an increasing number of families who have come to realize that
math programs originally designed to be used in government schools are wholly inadequate to meet the needs of home educators

You Don't Have to be a Math Teacher!

What is wrong with adapting a school-based text for home use? There are a couple of significant issues with doing that. First, because a typical school text assumes a knowledgeable math teacher, the explanations are often meager and brief. If you double as a math teacher, this will present no problem to you. However, many parents either did not take upper level math as a teen, or if they did, the process is just a distant, unpleasant memory. So sparse explanations in typical texts can be frustrating to both child and parent. Second, government schools' math texts often contain excessive use of terminology, making simple ideas seem complex.

I don't use TT but :iagree:.

Saxon had its place in our homeschool journey. When my dd was in grade school I used Singapore with success; however, when she was in the 5th grade I had her go through Saxon 7/6; she needed the review. I'm so glad we took the time to reinforce the concepts and build a firm foundation.

Ds never needed it, but it was good for dd

The best math curriculum is the one that you ACTUALLY DO. My suggestion - try Saxon for a few weeks. Then when you have learned something, go look at a different textbook's problems (perhaps at the library?) and see if you can do the word problems. Can you do them? Do you understand the more difficult ones? If so, then probably Saxon is working for you. If not, then you might think about switching. Keep doing that at intervals throughout the year. Some books phrase their problems all different ways, ensuring that you understand the problem and can't just translating the words. We all do that some of the time, but some books teach the translating more directly and don't give you as much practice with other wordings. For example, one book might teach that when you see "and" you write +, and then give you lots of problems that use the word "and", like: "Mary had two books and two notebooks. How many objects did she have?" Another book might use a variety of words, saying things like "Mary has a two books and then someone gave her two notebooks." If you are used to the first kind of question and your grip on the concept of addition is rather shaky, you might have trouble with the second kind. That is a very simplistic example, but hopefully it is enough to let you see what I mean. You just have to keep checking.

HTH

-Nan

It's not my favourite either, but for the record the K-3 books do have scripted lessons homeschoolers can use. This doesn't help with Algebra, of course. I'm not a big TT fan, either, though, and 2 of my dc have used this now. I agree in part with Nan that the best one is the one you actually use, but with the idea that you can change if it doesn't fit your family.

It's not my favourite either, but for the record the K-3 books do have scripted lessons homeschoolers can use. This doesn't help with Algebra, of course. I'm not a big TT fan, either, though, and 2 of my dc have used this now. I agree in part with Nan that the best one is the one you actually use, but with the idea that you can change if it doesn't fit your family.

:iagree: Well, I'll soon find out!