Menu

What did you love for grade 2?

mamapjama

I really loved Daily Grams. It was great daily practice in basic grammar, usage, capitalization/punctuation, sentence combing, etc., and I felt like it was a good compliment to FLL. My 2nd grade kids only do 2-3 a week, plus it's good handwriting practice as I have them write out the page on a clean sheet of paper.

My oldest also 'discovered' that he could read a book and enjoy it in 2nd grade, so that was enjoyable for both of us!

Time flies, huh? I feel the same as you over my oldest being a 5th grader! :001_smile:

This is so PC, but we really loved SOTW 2 with the Activity Guide! :D

We also like Home Science Adventures Microscope Kit. We had just tried several things for science, until I gave up and we did a smattering of nature study. Then we found HSA, and finally had a good science experience (although I'd say it was a little narrow, and light, but we still use that pocket Tasco a lot!).

We loved reading Castle Diary, and the Viking Treasure Box was a big hit, too.

My second grader has really taken off with reading this year and has loved having a selection of library books to read on science and history. He also says he liked math. We used MathUSee finishing Alpha and starting Beta. He has also done a lot of free writing but protests assigned writing.

All About Spelling - finishing book 1 next week and it's a keeper

Five in a Row - dd loves the FIAR books, doing lapbooks was hit or miss, though

Saxon Math - definitely a love or hate curriculum, but dd enjoys doing something different every day

Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1 - done at co-op (with me) but what a hit!!

FLL-dd loves the poem memorization

Rightstart Math

Sonlight Core 1 (dd couldn't get enough of Egypt and Greece.)

Sonlight readers and read alouds.

Greek and Latin roots

For a minute, I thought I had written this and forgot that I'd already posted. :tongue_smilie:

We loved everything on your list for 2nd grade, except for the Greek and Latin roots, since we didn't do that. But SL core 1, SL readers, RightStart math, and FLL all worked out very well for us.

I'll also add WWE and AAS.

I can't believe we will be starting grade two!!!! When did that happen????

What did you use last year that you, or your child in particular, loved?

It's for age 7-8 and includes reading, comprehension, creative writing, grammar, punctuation, spelling, speaking practice and ideas for further reading. You can buy the book (and answer book if required) from bookdepository.co.uk or horriblebooks.com

Apart from that, we enjoyed SOTW, Singapore Maths and lots of exercise.

Best wishes

Laura

Laura, did you use anything else for English besides Galore Park? I really would like to start to use some UK curriculum asap.

Stephanie

We have a few workbooks around for variety, but nothing special. Hobbes uses a UK handwriting programme too.

In the past, Calvin used a writing programme from CGP books called SAT Busters. Although I'm not keen on the CGP tone in general, he did find these books useful when he was about nine or ten.

Best wishes

Laura

MFW Adventures :001_smile: They have recommendations for the 3 R's which are scheduled into the TM, but you can use whatever you want. In addition to the books that come in the package (which are scheduled read-alouds), there's a very large *optional* booklist (400 titles or more) in the back of the TM for extra reading and videos to choose from. You can use the library, or purchase some of the titles if you prefer it that way.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/adventures_my_fathers_world.htm