Menu

What are you using after Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten series?

My 4.11 dd is heading into Singapore earlybird 2B. She really likes this math program. I am thinking ahead and wondering where others are headed after this series.

Are/have most of you continued on with Singapore? How do you like the next level? Is it still easy to teach?

We also used Saxon K this year. I am not sure if I want to use Saxon 1, or continue with Singapore. :confused:

My older daughter used Abeka at this level, and I'm not sure I want to go there though I like there lesson plans.

Please share your plans and experiences with these programs.

Thanks

We continued on with Singapore PM. At the time, we used the US edition, but have since switched to the standards edition as I like the layout better and the couple of additional topics included. We are going into 4a, so the standards edition wasn't available until this past year when we started level 3. If I were going into PM 1a now, I would choose the standards one for us.

We have found that the workbook and using Challenging Word Problems a level behind (CWP 1 with PM 2, etc) has been the best combo for us. Intensive Practice was too intensive ;) and we have only needed targeted practice for specific subjects (like time, for some reason) so the extra practice books were more than we needed. We have done practice with math facts in addition to the regular program. When we needed extra work on time or money or what have you at the 1a/b level, I went to the dollar store and picked up some themed workbook on the topic (Disney Princesses and Barbie were popular at that point around here;)).

We love Singapore math here. However, I would not want to start Primary Math 1A before 1st grade. There are some concepts that are rather high level and require the child to be able to manipulate numbers in her head very well. My older dd finished the earlybirds in kindergarten and started 1A in the fall of first grade. My youngest had the benefit of starting things a lot earlier and she finished earlybird in the spring before her K year. I did not want to start 1A with a kindergartener, so we are just finishing a year of Horizons K. We'll be very ready for a great 1A experience in the fall. And I've been supplementing older dd's math program with some of the Horizons problems for two years now, so Horizons was the natural choice for us. I'll continue to supplement with Horizons for youngest too.

My 4.11 dd is heading into Singapore earlybird 2B. She really likes this math program. I am thinking ahead and wondering where others are headed after this series.

Are/have most of you continued on with Singapore? How do you like the next level? Is it still easy to teach?

We also used Saxon K this year. I am not sure if I want to use Saxon 1, or continue with Singapore. :confused:

My older daughter used Abeka at this level, and I'm not sure I want to go there though I like there lesson plans.

Please share your plans and experiences with these programs.

Thanks

My ds(4yo) began Saxon Math K supplemented w/Singapore Earlybird 1A&1B last September, the beginning of our PreK/K4 school year. DS completed Math K at the end of March and we dove into Saxon Math 1 supplemented w/Singapore 2A&2B. I realize that the beginning of Math 1 is review, but after completing lessons 1-6(ish) and looking through the rest of Math 1 along with Math 2 & 3, it became clear to me that continuing w/Saxon was not for us. I already had RightStart's Math Card Games, that we were doing on the side, which led me to look into the RightStart Mathematics program in more detail. I am very glad to report that we have officially switched our math spine from Saxon to RightStart Mathematics, but I am still going to supplement w/Singapore.

RS's Starting Level Questionnaire suggested starting my ds with Level B. However, I decided to start ds from the beginning with Level A (and continue to supplement w/Singapore Earlybird 2A&2B). We began both Lvl A and EB 2A(2B) two weeks ago, which will take us through the end of August. My plan is to begin RS Level B (supplemented w/Singapore Primary Math 1A/1B) in September, which is the beginning of our K5 school year.

BTW, we are still continuing to use Saxon Math K's meeting book until the end of August as well.

HTH,

:001_smile:

Our Blog

My daughter will be continuing with Singapore Math 1 after finishing Earlybird.

On a side note, my daughter has autism and we enrolled her in public school about a month ago. She's in a special class for children with autism. Her teacher used to homeschool her own children and she loves Singapore Math! I sent my daughter's Earlybird math books to school with her and she uses them as her math curriculum! If she returns to school in the fall, I'll be able to do the same thing with Singapore Math 1! We may homeschool her again...we're undecided at the moment!

However, I would not want to start Primary Math 1A before 1st grade. There are some concepts that are rather high level and require the child to be able to manipulate numbers in her head very well.

I agree with this. Of course every child is different, but there is a huge leap between the Singapore EB series and PM 1. Supplementing with a second curriculum can help make the transition easier--I used Miquon and Singapore together when my oldest was k/1st age.

I use Singapore PM 1A. I use the US edition because that's what I bought right before Standards came out. I did start with my son in kindergarten..he turned 5 in the fall. He's been doing fine with it. We started about halfway through kindergarten. The first half of the year I did a lot of number games and just playing to reinforce some basic concepts. We're going slow through 1A and so far he's doing fine.

I've added in Math games for review of facts. Recently I added in the Right Start math games on the recs of people here and MEP Math for something fun and different. Those were mostly at the rec of Spy Car. The MEP math is free and it's very different. So far ds loves it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, After SM 2B I switched to RSA. Dd loves her math lessons and seems to be grasping concepts very well!! I plan to supplement RSA with MEP & SM 1A very soon though, just for variety and exposure to concepts in different ways....keeping things interesting.

Andi,

Given your success with Singapore I would go ahead with 1A, but realize that she might hit a wall. My oldest fell apart when they took away the picture manipulatives. Now I use Right Start first then add in Singapore.

Heather

Given your success with Singapore I would go ahead with 1A, but realize that she might hit a wall. My oldest fell apart when they took away the picture manipulatives. Now I use Right Start first then add in Singapore.

Personally, I've had no problem continuing even physical manipulatives as long as and as often as it seems necessary. My daughter is going into 4A and we will still pull out manipulatives if it seems necessary. We used the Right Start abacus for a long time, even though we weren't using Right Start (you don't lose little pieces of the abacus in the couch;)).