Menu

Does high school start in grade 8 or 9?

Bokons

Some school districts in NY are now dividing into primary school for grades K-4, intermediate school for 5/6-8/9, and high school, 10-12. My local schools were traditional: elementary K-6, junior high 7-8, and high school 9-12. But for college record-keeping purposes, even in these intermediate schools, high school almost always starts at grade nine.

Dallas/Fort Worth area...

School districts that have a Junior High School

Elementary is from K-6

Junior High is from 7-9

High school is from 10-12

School districts that have a Middle School

Elementary is from K-5

Middle School is from 6-8

High school is from 9-12

You know, I think the driving force behind changing grades is simply economics. When I was young, there were zillions of kids and only three grades fit in even a large high school. Nowadays, most cities have fewer kids, so more of them can be packed into a large bldg.

JMHO.

When I was in school, the grades at the high school were 10th-12th. But 9th graders were considered freshmen in high school.

The school my dh went to, the high school included grades 7-12. But "high school" still didn't start until 9th, even though the 7th and 8th graders were in the same building.

In public and private school here (WA state), it starts in grade 9. In Los Angeles in the 1980s, it started in grade 10. In my homeschool, it starts in grade 8 simply because my child is ready for that level of work. (However, I doubt he'll be ready to graduate four years from now, hence, the five year plan.)

Public school systems divide the kids up into different school buildings depending on space and resources. It doesn't really matter which building they're in; for college transcript purposes, hig school is considered 9-12. (My high school only housed 10-12, but 9th was included on the official transcript.)

Public schools break up grade levels among school buildings based on logistics.

For college it would be the 4 years of 9-12th grade.

Jennie

:iagree:

This is the most accurate way of looking at it. PS are going to do whatever works for them. Sometimes a high school gets crowded and they move 9th grade into the Jr. High or middle school. Sometimes they do it for bussing or other issues. Some districts end up with those divisions becoming a tradition and you know how hard those are to change. :lol: Most keep 9-12 together because they compete together in sports and we all know how important that is.:D

When you are doing transcripts, colleges only care about the 4 yrs before you get there. That equals out to 9-12.