Menu

Best "learning cursive" workbook...

I know I am going to get a ton of opinions here, but I want them!

My almost 6 year old is really wanting to learn cursive like his big brother. Each night, he gets out a cursive board we have and starts "practicing." I figure that, this summer when we aren't doing full school, I can take some time to let him learn cursive. :)

Now, the question is...what do I use? We have been using Pentime (which I really love) but I am not thrilled with all of the "curly things" they stick on the letters. The way I write is really a blend of cursive and manuscript, but I prefer to keep my beginning capitals simple - no fancy curls.

That said, I want a program that does not have a lot of curly things on the letters, I want Q to look like a Q and not a 2. I don't mind the cursive G. And my son is a very workbook-y type kid, so he likes to have the little book to work from rather than sheets I print out at home. I guess it feels more "official" to him. :lol:

Anyone care to share a recommendation for me?

I think that Handwriting Without Tears might suit your needs. Workbook based, with a simple style, no unnecessary curls and embellishments. You can view samples on their website.

http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/cursive

The Q does look like a 2, though. Italic may be the only style that doesn't do that, but I'm not sure.

Edited by GretaLynne

We are also using New American Cursive from Memoria Press. I was looking for a cursive-first approach (even though we have already done ZB print) because M is only 5 1/2 yo. (And she was begging, begging to learn cursive.) They eliminated a few strokes, so some capital letters are a bit simpler than other programs. (The Q looks like a Q, for example. F and T are other ones that were obviously modified.) M really really likes the program. It's almost always the first thing she picks to do in the morning.

Abeka carries cursive workbooks for K level. I used about 1/2 of it with my ds6. They are colorful and very "workbooky" - ya'know "official":tongue_smilie::lol:

I like Cursive First, but that's not a workbook - it's a pack of copy masters. You could make your own workbooks though. Use cardstock for the cover, staple and tape down the spine. It's not quite as official, but if I print my ds's name on the front cover- it's even better.;)

Getty & Dubay Italic is very easy and all the capital letters look like the print versions. You can buy the workbooks (cursive starts in book D) or you can buy the font and make your own workbooks.

Educational Fontware sells fonts for about 20 major handwriting systems (including D'Nealian, Abeka, BJU, Pentime, HWT, Z-B, etc.) You can view samples of all the different styles and see which one looks best to you:

http://www.educationalfontware.com/

If you click on the name of the font, it shows you all the variations that come with it, including versions that print with rules and arrows, outline versions for the student to trace, etc. By printing out your spelling/vocabulary words and copywork in the fonts, you can incorporate handwriting into other subjects.

Jackie

Is new american cursive secular?

The workbook that teaches the script is totally secular, however, the next book (Copybook Cursive) is subtitled "Hymns and Prayers" and uses common Latin phrases as well as Latin hymns and prayers for cursive copywork. This book however is not essential to the program and is more applicable if you are also working on Latin (it would be a waste of money if you aren't doing any Latin). If you wanted additional practice, you could get the startwrite CD developed for New American Cursive and create your own practice copywork. I really like how the kids' handwriting is looking. DS already has better cursive writing than his dad!

The workbook that teaches the script is totally secular, however, the next book (Copybook Cursive) is subtitled "Hymns and Prayers" and uses common Latin phrases as well as Latin hymns and prayers for cursive copywork. This book however is not essential to the program and is more applicable if you are also working on Latin (it would be a waste of money if you aren't doing any Latin). If you wanted additional practice, you could get the startwrite CD developed for New American Cursive and create your own practice copywork. I really like how the kids' handwriting is looking. DS already has better cursive writing than his dad!

I don't mind Christian content and my younger ds will learn Latin (starting with Song School Latin this year). However, my concern is that I really don't want to pay $35 for startwrite and then have to think up and print out all of those sheets. I'd much rather something like that be done for me (especially when I pay for it). Do the workbooks give an adequate amount of practice or is startwrite absolutely necessary?

I don't mind Christian content and my younger ds will learn Latin (starting with Song School Latin this year). However, my concern is that I really don't want to pay $35 for startwrite and then have to think up and print out all of those sheets. I'd much rather something like that be done for me (especially when I pay for it). Do the workbooks give an adequate amount of practice or is startwrite absolutely necessary?

I use StartWrite, and I simply copy&paste quotes from public domain texts for copywork - Aesop Fables, Beatrix Potter.....they think them up, and I just click.:001_smile: I do have to print them out...(but I've also got 2 more kidlets approaching the copywork stage and limited budget;))

Guest Alias

Can anyone recommend a good book for teaching cursive to Australian students, including a system at begins at Pre-K (i.e. includes a primer).

We live in Queensland, but will probably move to New South Wales eventually, so it doesn't have to be Queensland-based, but something relevant to Australia.

Can anyone recommend a good book for teaching cursive to Australian students, including a system at begins at Pre-K (i.e. includes a primer).

We live in Queensland, but will probably move to New South Wales eventually, so it doesn't have to be Queensland-based, but something relevant to Australia.

I've not used these, but they look tempting. hth

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=150

We've used the Veritas Press classically cursive books because I like the content and the style.

The only caveat is the way they make their Q's. But when we get to that point, I just show them the "right" way to do it. hehe

http://www.veritaspress.com/searchprods.asp

I like the Memoria Press one - it's very similar to Veritas but without the wacky Q!

Cursive First. My ds did the program at his request just prior to first grade (age 6.5) in about 4 weeks. He has done just fine ever since. I plan to hve dd go through the program this summer in prep for first grade since she is asking to "write fancy" now.

Why is New American Cursive so expensive? It looks like a great program, but does it have so much more material in each book that it is worth the extra money?

Great question as I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for asking, and I'm looking forward to hearing responses too.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked Handwriting Without Tears! I like how they explain things in a "fun" way. An example is they show a fire pole and it says go do the fire pole for a formation or the magic C. I thought all my kids cursive with that program and can't say enough about it :D

-Tia

I know I am going to get a ton of opinions here, but I want them!

My almost 6 year old is really wanting to learn cursive like his big brother. Each night, he gets out a cursive board we have and starts "practicing." I figure that, this summer when we aren't doing full school, I can take some time to let him learn cursive. :)

Now, the question is...what do I use? We have been using Pentime (which I really love) but I am not thrilled with all of the "curly things" they stick on the letters. The way I write is really a blend of cursive and manuscript, but I prefer to keep my beginning capitals simple - no fancy curls.

That said, I want a program that does not have a lot of curly things on the letters, I want Q to look like a Q and not a 2. I don't mind the cursive G. And my son is a very workbook-y type kid, so he likes to have the little book to work from rather than sheets I print out at home. I guess it feels more "official" to him. :lol:

Anyone care to share a recommendation for me?

• 3 months later...

I was disappointed to find that I really didn't like HWT for cursive because it teaches an upright, non-slanted style that isn't terribly attractive (IMHO) and doesn't allow for as much flow and speed as a slanted style. HWT had worked beautifully for manuscript, and the transition to cursive was presented clearly, but once the kids got into practicing cursive with it, it didn't seem to flow. My dd has OK-looking, but slow and somewhat awkward cursive with this style, and my older ds completely rejected cursive after plodding through two HWT cursive books (granted, this may be as much of a "boy & writing" issue as a HWT issue - but he does have very nice print handwriting, the HWT cursive books just seemed to give him hives). Now I'm trying to transition my dd away from the upright HWT style into a more typical cursive style that slants so that she can write faster, and I don't plan to use HWT for cursive at all with my younger ds.

Right now, I'm thinking of trying Universal Publishing's handwriting series. I'm planning to try the "transition to cursive" book with my younger ds who has learned to print with HWT, and have my dd work on her style with the books for 4th grade and up. I like that the series has books for upper grades. http://www.upub.net/products/handwbks.htm. I don't really know how different the original vs. the second edition books are, but I'm leaning towards the newer ones, since they are all pretty affordable, and the pages in the newer books look a little more cleaned up. However, the original series is a real bargain at Rainbow Resource for about $5 a book.

You might get more answers by posting on one of the Australian forums, since there is only about half a dozen Aussies here. A lot of the time, though, we use American curriculum :)

Welcome to the board :)

Rosie