Menu

Well, youngest dd has flu symptoms today...

Youngest dd attends PS. This is the first day of school she has missed all year.

Last night she complained of a sore throat and she said her tummy felt funny. This morning she had a fever of 100 and has been coughing (some mild wheezing too). She says she feels sick--but after some Motrin (1/2 dose) she is playing loudly with the dogs....

We know there has been one confirmed case of Swine Flu in our county.

I'm not one to panic... I'm not too concerned at the moment...just want to be cautious.

This dd is rarely ill. Her medical records are still back at her original Ped's office (1-1.5 hours away)... no chance of any local Dr seeing her.

I have a call in to her Dr... but they ALWAYS say to bring the child in...

What would YOU do? Normally I would not bat an eye if one of my children had these symptoms...

Jann

BTW in the 1970's I was the FIRST reported case of Russian Flu in Oklahoma. I almost died--fever of 105 for 5 days, coughing so hard I cracked ribs...too sick to take to hospital... we lived out in the middle of no-where in a tiny town of 1000. I was the ONLY one in town who became ill... thought was that I got it from picking up mail at our local post office...

Edited by Jann in TX
more info

This dd is rarely ill. Her medical records are still back at her original Ped's office (1-1.5 hours away)... no chance of any local Dr seeing her.

Have you moved? Is there an Urgent Care Center? County health department?

If it were my family, I'd want to have them tested. But I don't know if I'd make a 1.5 hour drive for it.

My kids pediatrician told me yesterday that, if my kids showed symptoms, I should keep them home, keep them hydrated, and treat it like any other kind of flu. He said that going into the office will really just infect others if it is the swine flu (or any flu really). They did say that if I wanted to know for sure, I could take the child to the health dept here in town and have them do a swab just so the case can be "counted." Whatever. I could care less about being "counted."

The death from swine flu in the US that was reported this morning was a child whose parents brought him/her from Mexico illegally into Texas to try and get medical treatment.

ETA: My son's dr (big group) does not give antivirals to kids anyway.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I would take her to a local Urgent Care -- they should be able to do a simple swab to confirm or deny swine flu (and prescribe tamiflu for your family if she's positive).

Sure, I wouldn't normally take a kid in for that -- but given the time and the fact that there is confirmed swine flu in your area... Yeah, I'd go in.

I would take her to a local Urgent Care -- they should be able to do a simple swab to confirm or deny swine flu (and prescribe tamiflu for your family if she's positive).

Sure, I wouldn't normally take a kid in for that -- but given the time and the fact that there is confirmed swine flu in your area... Yeah, I'd go in.

:iagree:

I guess i might not if you wouldn't treat anyone with Tamiflu, but i'd go and get it.

Since she is up playing within the first 12 hours...I wouldn't suspect the flu as much as a bad cold or strep. Kids are different than adults, but usually the flu wipes a person out for the first 48-72hours, and then they go up from there. Colds don't usually have fevers, but can, and do especially if there is an ear infection brewing. Her symptoms sound a lot like strep:

In general, signs and symptoms of strep throat include:

Throat pain

Difficulty swallowing

Red and swollen tonsils, sometimes with white patches or streaks of pus

Tiny red spots on the soft or hard palate — the area at the back of the roof of the mouth

Swollen, tender lymph glands (nodes) in your neck

Fever

Headache

Rash

Stomachache and sometimes vomiting, especially in younger children

I would call the original peds office and see what they say, but I wouldn't expect them to say to drive a flu ridden child 3 hours to see them. But since you said she is rarely sick, I am assuming that she doesn't have any underlying medical conditions that could be made worse by the flu (asthma, diabetes, RA...)

If it is the flu and she needs to be seen, any doctor can see her. There should be a local doctor who can see her at an Urgent Care Clinic. If you are concerned about your insurance, call them and ask what you should do if you are out of your home area and haven't established with a primary care doctor yet. Sometimes they can tell you the local doctors who are in you insurance network, that are accepting new patients.

Have you moved? Is there an Urgent Care Center? County health department?

If it were my family, I'd want to have them tested. But I don't know if I'd make a 1.5 hour drive for it.

I agree - call before you go, tell them you are bringing in a kid with the flu to be swapped and you want to be in and out....so you do not risk infecting anyone else should the test be positive. i am sure the local urgent care or ER will cooperate.

No - not swapped, you want to keep this kid - swabbed! ;-)

Ds 8 had influenze when he was 6. It was horrible.

There was no mistaking this wasn't your ordinary illness. He slept constantly, and was miserable when he was awake. Even with Tylenol he was miserable. His fever was not especially high, but he slept all. the. time.

We were traveling when he got sick, and took him to the Urgent Care in our area TWICE within a week. Both times they said it was just a virus. We decided to go home, but eventually pulled into an ER in Provo, Utah when ds could not stay awake for longer than 30 minutes.

The ER Dr. said that influenza wipes you out. For weeks. He said that there's a medicine they can give you within the first 48 hours of symptoms, but after 48 hours there's nothing you can do but wait it out.

Ds was sick for two weeks before he could make it to lunchtime without a nap. I took 4 weeks for him to get back to normal.

IMO, if your dd is up and playing, it's probably NOT influenza. But calling your doctor couldn't hurt.

I agree - call before you go, tell them you are bringing in a kid with the flu to be swapped and you want to be in and out....so you do not risk infecting anyone else should the test be positive. i am sure the local urgent care or ER will cooperate.

No - not swapped, you want to keep this kid - swabbed! ;-)

Also ask for them to have a mask waiting for your dc to reduce the chance of infecting others. The should have it ready for you, but ask in case they forget. you can also prepare your dc for wearing it.

PS I prefer swapping dc :lol::lol::lol: