Menu

Which kids allergy med works better 4 your dc? Benadryl, Claritin or something else?

The pollen is really bothering dd- itching watery red eyes, runny nose, red bumps. We tried Benadryl, and I guess that was OK, but I got Claritin to see if it was better.

So far, it doesn't seem to be any better at all. She can only take it once a day, so we have to wait for this evening to try something else.

I can't answer your question directly but I wanted to warn you about giving her allergy medicine at night. If you do make sure it isn't the non-drowsy kind. I can't take that at night because then I turn into the duracell bunny and can't sleep.

I have to double dose my allergy medicines. I take one drowsy type at night and citrizine in the morning.

Zyrtec worked really well for ds for a while. It still works okay for dd. When Zyrtec no longer seemed to make a difference for ds, his ped prescribed Allegra. So far this spring, ds doesn't seem to be having almost any pollen issues at all! (While the rest of us are suffering a lot!)

Claritin didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference for us. I'm not sure why. It seems to work for other people.

And I still keep Benedryl on hand all the time for acute reactions.

I can't answer your question directly but I wanted to warn you about giving her allergy medicine at night. If you do make sure it isn't the non-drowsy kind. I can't take that at night because then I turn into the duracell bunny and can't sleep.

I have to double dose my allergy medicines. I take one drowsy type at night and citrizine in the morning.

Oops. I did give the non drowsy Claritin at night. Maybe that's why she took so long to go to sleep last night. :001_huh:

The OTC allergy meds never seemed to help my children much. Zyrtec would make my daughter so drowsy when she was little, she'd just lie flat on her stomach in the middle of the playroom in the mornings.

Right now, both kids are taking 2 nasal sprays -- Astepro and Nasonex for my son and, since my daughter seems to get hyper on the Nasonex, we use Astepro and Veramyst for her. This combination pretty much eliminates my son's allergy symptoms and makes a big difference for my daughter.

I hate for them to be on all this medicine, but they are miserable -- headaches, dizziness, lethargic, itchy eyes, etc. -- without it. They have both also started allergy shots in the hope that they won't need to be on the meds all the time. I also give them a Tbsp. of local raw honey each day. I have heard that, over time, that can help reduce allergies as well.

Lisa

We've been having the same problem this year with one of the boys, not so much the runny nose, but he's had a chronic allergy-related rash this Spring. His pediatrician gave us samples of Xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride) 5 mg & it works fantastically (Benadryl and the others did nothing for his itchiness). Wal-Mart sells it under the Equate brand as allergy medicine in 10 mg tablets, but you have to look for the chemical name. We just halve the tablets & he takes one each night at bedtime. You might check with your Pedatrician though, DD has severe year-round allergies and had no luck with OTC allergy meds either & now she's on an inhaler (despite not having asthma) and nasal spray (Nasonex) and it keeps her pretty clear.

Edited by KristineinKS

See, dd started with food allergies as an infant. We took her to a ped. allergist who diagnosed her, and warned that she might have seasonal allergies later.

Well, she apparently does. I put off taking her back to him because of the way they scratch the back with potential allergens. It looks painful (she's had it done twice as an infant). That's why I was trying to use comething OTC, but it's not helping much. I feel sorry for her having to get her back scratched, but living with red itchy eyes is no picnic either.

Edited by Blessedfamily

He won't necessarily have to do all of those tests for environmental allergies. He may just be able to prescribe something for her symptoms, that you use during the worst times of the year. Ds has extensive food allergies (though he has outgrown some things!), but they did not do more testing for the seasonal stuff when that kicked in (after we moved here). It's important to know exactly which foods one is allergic to, but when it comes to pollen blowing around, it's not like you have the option of strict avoidance. ;)

BTW, I meant to say with Zyrtec, do give it at bedtime or a couple of hours before. It makes some people very sleepy. For dd, it just made it harder for her to get going the next morning. Giving it a few hours before bedtime seems to work best for her.

You might be able to skip the allergy testing if you don't think it's necessary. Really, the allergist should be able to diagnose environmental allergies based on symptoms. To me, the only reason to do the testing would be if symptoms were vague or you were interested in doing allergy shots. My pediatrician has even given us prescriptions for allergy meds in the past after seeing how congested my kids are.

Lisa

He won't necessarily have to do all of those tests for environmental allergies. He may just be able to prescribe something for her symptoms, that you use during the worst times of the year. Ds has extensive food allergies (though he has outgrown some things!), but they did not do more testing for the seasonal stuff when that kicked in (after we moved here). It's important to know exactly which foods one is allergic to, but when it comes to pollen blowing around, it's not like you have the option of strict avoidance. ;)

BTW, I meant to say with Zyrtec, do give it at bedtime or a couple of hours before. It makes some people very sleepy. For dd, it just made it harder for her to get going the next morning. Giving it a few hours before bedtime seems to work best for her.

Thank you. I feel terrible for not taking her back (her pediatrician told us to), but I just can't stand to see that back-prickling thing.

It was awful when she was an infant, but the results were very helpful.

You might be able to skip the allergy testing if you don't think it's necessary. Really, the allergist should be able to diagnose environmental allergies based on symptoms. To me, the only reason to do the testing would be if symptoms were vague or you were interested in doing allergy shots. My pediatrician has even given us prescriptions for allergy meds in the past after seeing how congested my kids are.

Lisa

My dh, believe it or not, goes to the same allergist as dd. (Even though the Dr. is a pediatric allergist) He gets shots every week to build him up so that he may someday not have allergies.

Since the doctor sees her dad and has told us it's genetic, maybe he would just prescribe something. Especially as you can clearly see the red itchy eyes, runny nose, and bumps. I'll make an appointment.

My dh, believe it or not, goes to the same allergist as dd. (Even though the Dr. is a pediatric allergist) He gets shots every week to build him up so that he may someday not have allergies.

Since the doctor sees her dad and has told us it's genetic, maybe he would just prescribe something. Especially as you can clearly see the red itchy eyes, runny nose, and bumps. I'll make an appointment.

I really think he would. My husband actually takes our kids to get their allergy shots, because he is getting them as well.

Lisa

Oops. I did give the non drowsy Claritin at night. Maybe that's why she took so long to go to sleep last night. :001_huh:

I can almost guarantee that that is what it was:grouphug: Took me a week last year to work it out. Normally I always took my pills in the morning but last year I started taking them at night for some reason. Could not get to sleep. Then I had one of those foreheadsmack moments:D

I think that your doctor should be able to prescribe the medication without the tests since it seems like this is a clear case of seasonal allergies, then when she is older you might want to do the tests so that she knows exactly what it is she is allergic to. This information can be good to have since some allergies are contra-indicators of each other, but why put a small child through it right now.

Thank you. I feel terrible for not taking her back (her pediatrician told us to), but I just can't stand to see that back-prickling thing.

It was awful when she was an infant, but the results were very helpful.

Another option you might ask about is an allergy blood test. It's not quite as sensitive and the results aren't as "instant," but it is an option. This is what the Dr ordered for my son since his skin is so extremely sensitive.

So you just gave her the one dose last night? Claritin and Zyrtec (and their generics) are meant to be used as a daily regimen against seasonal allergies. They actually take several days to build up in the system to be fully effective. My DH takes and responds well to Zyrtec, whereas I do not. I take Claritin. I tried to use the Zyrtec on my boys and it didn't seem to be helping them. I finally switched to Claritin and we seem to be getting somewhere. I also have to use the generic version of Zaditor (eye drops) for two of them. Their opthamologist recommended it since they both have the start of an astigmatizism, which he said can be caused by excessive rubbing. When we have an acute flare up, I will add benedryl to the mix (mainly when Nathan gets bit by too many misquitoes or any ant bite as he has extreme reactions to both).

Zyrtec has always worked best for my son. He began taking it as a prescription and now that it is OTC we buy it that way. For him it has had the fewest side effects. For it to be really effective though, he has to take it for several days in a row and we try to begin it just before the worst of the allergy season begins. We have also used claritin and it works well but he was an emotional basket case.

Please be careful with the honey. My son had a serious reaction to the pollens in the honey because they were local pollens. We tried it during pollen season and only did a tsp a day and he had a scary allergic reaction. The only honey he has had a reaction to was local pollen honey. Some people use the honey first in the offf season so the body can build immunity when it isn't fighting already. I know some people swear by it, but we no longer use it.

DS has been on Allegra for several years, and it seems to be helping more than Zyrtec or Claritin did. Bear in mind, though, that all of these meds are ones that you need to take for a week or so before you can expect to see results. A day isn't enough time to decide it's not working.

Good luck finding something that works. Allergies are the pits!

SBP

So you just gave her the one dose last night? Claritin and Zyrtec (and their generics) are meant to be used as a daily regimen against seasonal allergies. They actually take several days to build up in the system to be fully effective. My DH takes and responds well to Zyrtec, whereas I do not. I take Claritin. I tried to use the Zyrtec on my boys and it didn't seem to be helping them. I finally switched to Claritin and we seem to be getting somewhere. I also have to use the generic version of Zaditor (eye drops) for two of them. Their opthamologist recommended it since they both have the start of an astigmatizism, which he said can be caused by excessive rubbing. When we have an acute flare up, I will add benedryl to the mix (mainly when Nathan gets bit by too many misquitoes or any ant bite as he has extreme reactions to both).

" Bear in mind, though, that all of these meds are ones that you need to take for a week or so before you can expect to see results. A day isn't enough time to decide it's not working." SBP

Oh, thank you! This is exactly what I was going to ask next. Maybe I'm not giving it enough time to work. Even the shots my DH gets have to build up over time. I hate to waste the Claritin since it cost $18 for a 2 pack.

Edited by Blessedfamily

ER has had seasonal allergies all his life. He used Claritin (when it was only available by prescription) for awhile, but later began using Zyrtec (also before it became available OTC). The Zyrtec worked the best for him, and he still uses it.

I had no idea Zyrtec was OTC. Allergies just seem to be on the rise. I don't understand it.

• 2 weeks later...

Zyrtec works best for us during the day. Benadryl at night, but I give a little under the recommended dose so it doesn't wind her up. :glare:

Claritin didn't work too well for Becca - her allergies seemed to abate a bit, but she'd get these crazy mood swings and just become not her usual sweet self. Sometimes cold/allergy meds make me feel a little squirrely too.

made my dd urine incontinent. Just one of those super rare side effects. It did work as she used to break out in hives, rash, and swollen eyes (like shut swollen).

I stick to Benadryl since it clears up these flare up reactions. Claritin was useless for my dd (still is)

• 2 months later...
Allergies are just an awful thing to deal with, especially for kids. I did find a pretty good homeopathic remedy that works well for seasonal, environmental allergies. It's called Allergy Relief, and addresses all of the basic symptoms of seasonal allergies. Because it's homeopathic, it is of course all natural and safe. The other nice thing about it is that homeopathic remedies both provide relief and can also help address the actual issue to help heal the body. So it will provide relief and may help alleviate allergies over time. Seems to work pretty well.

I second the homeopathy route - I had bad enough seasonal (three seasons in my case) allergies to warrant full time Allegra, then Zyrtec, with occasional steroid sprays, for years. (Eyes puffed shut in the morning, sinuses completely blocked, etc, and bad enough to look into allergy shots, which I would have done except I would have used all of my sick leave in 2 months, just for the shots) Two years ago, I used Bio-Allers Outdoor Formula and have not used an antihistamine or spray since. Yes, I occasionally sneeze and sometimes my eyes feel gritty after I've spent all day outside, but I live in a high pollen area and that's a pretty normal response for non-allergic people. We even have the windows in the house open and drive with the windows down in the ar, now, and have zero issues.

I love homeopathy. :001_wub: