Menu

Just ordered Living Memory -- I'm excited!

sagira

I just ordered Living Memory, the copybook treasure trove, and I can't wait to get it! I know that sometimes I will see something that I would want ds to copy, but I can't count on that or there won't be too much copywork going on!

Thank you for making this, Drew! I can't wait to get it in and peruse its pages.

Yep, it's fantastic! I went through mine and put in tabs for each section. There's just so much content, I needed a quicker visual of all the major headings. I was just afraid otherwise I'd miss something important! ;)

Definitely a worthy purchase though -- with far more content than I think most of us can do justice to in a mere 12 years... ;)

I missed the memo - where can I see this treasure?

Thanks

Right here. I read all the wonderful reviews on this board and I thought, "that's what I need." And I do. It will make my life soooo much easier and copywork, and now I hear memorization too, will get done -- yeah! :)

We've been memorizing from several sections since we received it several months ago. It is terrific! Lots of copywork, but tons of memory work. We've been going through the Grammar Catechism (as I've said numerous times before, worth the price of the book) and my 14 yo has said how much easier Latin is! You'll love it!

Yep, it's fantastic! I went through mine and put in tabs for each section. There's just so much content, I needed a quicker visual of all the major headings. I was just afraid otherwise I'd miss something important! ;)

Definitely a worthy purchase though -- with far more content than I think most of us can do justice to in a mere 12 years... ;)

Great idea. I'm stealing it.

:iagree: It helps me to feel as though we will cover what's truly essential. It also helps me to relax and enjoy the beauty, the humor, the rhythm of the piece we are working on, because I can see that there are so many wonderful pieces to learn... and no one will memorize the whole book!

What I appreciate the most is all that implementing a memory work program has given to our minds and hearts. A few weeks ago, on a bright, sunny day, we were all taking a ride to the park. My 4 yo daughter, in the back of the van, looked out at the fluffy clouds and quietly recited (to herself, I think) "Clouds" by Christina Rosetti --

White sheep, white sheep

On a blue hill,

When the wind stops

You all stand still;

When the wind blows,

You walk away slow.

White sheep, white sheep,

Where do you go?

[This poem is not included in LM (so far as I can tell), but we read more about Christina Rosetti's life and poems. This poem is found in "Poems and Prayers for the Very Young."]

When she realized we were all listening, she then explained to us that the poem describes the clouds as sheep, because they are both white and puffy (theoretically ;)), and "the blue hill is actually the sky." I love the fruit of memory work, not because it "stuffs her head," but because it gives her beautiful language that becomes her very own. Thank you, Drew, for contributing a wonderful resource to our community. Even I am learning!

Oh I am envious. I have to admit. I have wanted it as soon as I learned about it but my dear hubby is holding off. He continues to love having the children do their copywork from scripture which I understand completely but I still want it:glare: Someday:001_huh:

You piqued my curiosity so I looked it up. 452 pages? Really?! For 24.95? I think I need to order this.

Yes you do. Muhahahahahaha..

With all the fantastic comments pouring in and more people wanting it.. Now I REALLY can't wait to see it! :drool5:: :toetap05: I regret not paying extra for shipping, because I just read that regular ground shipping may take up to four weeks -- yikes! :willy_nilly: :svengo:

Would it help to know it's *not* a copywork book? I mean, one could use many of the selections as such, but that's not the main goal of the resource. It's a book of memory work in a number of disciplines -- literature, Latin, Greek, grammar, math, religion (traditional hymns, prayers), geography, historic speeches, and so much more...

Yes you do. Muhahahahahaha..

I did! I have a hard time paying for shipping, so I went only one step up from Media Mail. At least they can track the package.

For something like this, it's typical for me to say "I can just put that together myself." But at $24.95 for 452 pages, it seems worth the purchase. I guess I'll know for sure in "2 to 3 business days after date of shipment!" :D

:iagree: It helps me to feel as though we will cover what's truly essential. It also helps me to relax and enjoy the beauty, the humor, the rhythm of the piece we are working on, because I can see that there are so many wonderful pieces to learn... and no one will memorize the whole book!

What I appreciate the most is all that implementing a memory work program has given to our minds and hearts. A few weeks ago, on a bright, sunny day, we were all taking a ride to the park. My 4 yo daughter, in the back of the van, looked out at the fluffy clouds and quietly recited (to herself, I think) "Clouds" by Christina Rosetti --

White sheep, white sheep

On a blue hill,

When the wind stops

You all stand still;

When the wind blows,

You walk away slow.

White sheep, white sheep,

Where do you go?

[This poem is not included in LM (so far as I can tell), but we read more about Christina Rosetti's life and poems. This poem is found in "Poems and Prayers for the Very Young."]

When she realized we were all listening, she then explained to us that the poem describes the clouds as sheep, because they are both white and puffy (theoretically ;)), and "the blue hill is actually the sky." I love the fruit of memory work, not because it "stuffs her head," but because it gives her beautiful language that becomes her very own. Thank you, Drew, for contributing a wonderful resource to our community. Even I am learning!

This is just beautiful! Chokes me up! Thank you for sharing!

I, too, can't wait to order the book! It's at the top of my "to order" list. :D

:toetap05: I regret not paying extra for shipping, because I just read that regular ground shipping may take up to four weeks -- yikes! :willy_nilly: :svengo:

Four weeks? Say it ain't so! :svengo: I ordered last night and went Media Mail, because I've spent a fortune on curricula lately I want my dh to be able to retire someday. But four weeks!

Hopefully, since I live bang in the middle of the country, it won't take so long for me.

Staci, I only paid for media mail shipping and had my copy in hand in less than a week from order. I know it *can* take longer, but I don't think it usually *does*...

Same here. I was worried that it would take longer, but I was pleasantly surprised.

You may have to wait for that answer, Alana, as I just bought it and just read for a while. I would need to use it on a day to day basis to tell you if $50 is worth it IMO. I can tell you that for my money ($30 something) it's an amazing resource. I can already tell that I'm going to use it not just for copywork but for memorywork and as a general resource and to help plan our scope and sequence from K-12.

The book is truly a labor of love I can tell. I wish I had more time to read.. but I need to go make dinner! :tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...

I really do. Everything in one place. I give ds copywork from whatever we're working on, either poetry or literature. He's only five but next year I anticipate longer sentences in copywork and even some words dictated (spelling and vocabulary). Living Memory tells you, subject by subject, what to memorize, important lists, e.g. in Geography the oceans, continents, cities, capitals.. aah.. a treasure trove of information right at your fingertips.

I placed my order today. It sounds like several of you have been sleeping with yours under your pillow, but are you using it ?:001_smile: If so, how do your kids like it? How do you like it..besides the glossy cover?
I ordered one today too! So, I'm all :bigear:

I am just starting down this road of memory work with my kids. we bought linguistic development through poetry memorization and fll and plan to buy wwe. do we need to buy living memory now and begin now with it too or is there enough memory work in these other sources for us this next year?

tia!

Sagira, if you buy something then I figure it must be good. :tongue_smilie:

How is everyone fitting it in to other school work? Right now our copywork comes from WWE, and our memory work is from FLL.

However, I can see where I could use help with subjects such as history, geography, and Latin when we get to it.

Sagira, if you buy something then I figure it must be good. :tongue_smilie:

Aw, Kleine Hexe, you make me blush :blush:

I'm not using WWE or FLL. Most of our copywork (and memorywork) would either come from our poetry, literature, science, geography or math. Anything worthy to copy. Invariably I know I'll be busy and forget to prepare ahead and I can just get Living Memory and know there will be something worthwhile there for dc to copy/memorize. I'm also using it as a reference and as a bit on what to focus on.