Menu

Educate me on tween-teen girl clothes sizing please

I have a slim 11yo who is currently in 10 slims (jeans) that are getting too short.

I hate shopping (esp having to bring her 4 younger siblings with us :001_huh:) so want to go totally prepared. I hate returning stuff bought online even more. ;)

Is there such a thing out there as 12 slim? Is it easy to find? What about junior sizes? When do those kick in? Will she need hips and a behind before those fit? :lol: What's the difference between juniors and ladies sizes? I seem to remember being a teen in 7's and 9's and then all of a sudden a ladies in 6. (That was before kids :tongue_smilie:) Is there some kind of chart that compares all this?

I have this absurd need to get the next 10 years of clothes sizes for her planned in my mind. It's so easy with the next kids, we just keep the clothes and usually, eventually, someone else fits in it. :lol:

Humor me. :bigear: Thanks!

I believe Old Navy also carries slim sizes - or the kind with the tab inside the waistband that you can tighten or loosen. My daughter is 11 and wears a Junior size 7. Your daughter would probably fit in a Junior size 1 or 3, and that would be longer than girl's sizes. Aeropostal (sp?) usually has good sales on jeans ($15.00 or so).

12 slims DO exist - but are more difficult to find. We've found them at Target (their "generic" jeans they sell) and JCPenney (rarely) - I THINK the Gap has them online (iirc, it's been a while since I ordered and can't remember if I ordered jeans for Ariel too, or just 10slims for my 8yo...).

My oldest is turning 11 this week and is out-legging the 12slims. So, we're actually going shopping (alone with no siblings to distract us! LOL) to try on clothes this coming weekend. I'm going to have her try on some jr size 0s or 2s and see if those might fit her new body shape better than the square/rectangle fits of the children's sizes on the jeans and the t-shirts.

I sort of remember the same thing - being size 10 in kids' stuff one day - then suddenly sharing clothes with my mother. :lol: My kids are going to be taller than me, though, so we won't get to share too much - if ever (they're also a lot skinner than I am, lol)

Juniors sizes usually come in when the kid's legs are long enough! They have less curve than ladies'. My girls started wearing juniors when they were about 12. You can find 00 in some stores. You may want to try a 00 short at American Eagle. Those were my girls first junior jeans.

Wal-mart's ladies sizes are extremely inflated. A 6 is HUGE. Ditto for juniors.

Juniors is the same size as ladies one size up (1=2, 3=4, etc.), with a bit bigger waist and smaller hips/backside and less curves up top.

Good luck! We're skinny here, but we're short.

We found slims up to size 16. However, 16 slims were too short for my teen, so that's when we switched to juniors. We found 16 slim to be equivalent to jr sizes 0-1.

My dd got some hand-me-down size 0 pants that fit similarly to the girls size 14 regular she normally wears. Unfortunately they were petite length, so were too short. :(

Size 0 seems to be hard to find in the thrift stores here; size 2 is the smallest I've found so far, and they're too big for dd.

My dd wears a 14 slim, but only if it has adjustable waist to make them even slimmer, and they're still too short, and kind of baggy in the behind. (she's 5'4'' and weighs only about 76 lbs)

But, you can get slims up to size 16 at Limited Too (now called Justice, I believe), and at The Gap, and from Lands' End, and up to 12 slim at Gymboree. Sears has a few slims in jeans, but not in other pants.

She was wearing junior size 00 when she was in a 12. I love them because they're really long and skinny, just like she is. She is in a 0 now, but they're hard to find.

Sizing is so crazy.

My dd has some jeans from Old Navy and Walmart.

Old Navy jeans are size 2, Walmart jeans are size 6, Lei jeans size 11~all junior sections.

Make sure you have time to try on because they are all different.

We buy 12 slims at Old Navy and Gap and still have to use the adjustable-waist on the inside of the waistband. However, you really may want to try them on, as jeans in these sizes are often so low-cut that you see crack when they squat. Don't mean to be crude, but it's rediculous! Try-on and have her squat or sit down in the dressing room.

my dd has always been a slim also, the highest she got in kids sizes was a 10 slim and then the pants were too short for her. She now wears a size jr 00, she is 5 foot and weighs 80 pounds. The only place she has been able to find jeans that fit her or Kohls and PacSun (she buys the ones they sell for it is either 2 pairs for $40.00 or 2 pairs for $50.00). If you go to PacSun, these sale jeans are located in the rear of the store. I don't remember the price of the jeans at Kohls but they would have to be fairly inexpensive for us to buy them (the sale price at PacSun is the most that I will let dd pay for jeans).

If 10 slims still fit in the waist I think junior size 0's will be huge on her. My daughter wears 12 slim pants which we have no problem finding. We recently checked out an upscale resale shop with lots of size small teen shirts and size 0 pants but most of what we saw was too big. We did buy a couple of shrunken summer shirts. She also has some sweat/gym style pants from the junior department of Kohls, but they have a drawstring waist and I had to shorten them.