Menu

Reading for K/1st?

myfatherslily

How often do you have your K'er/1st grader read out loud to you? Like from early readers, not just sort sentences and words during a phonics lesson. My DD is doing K-level phonics right now, plus I'm thinking ahead to next year. Right now I have her read a little bit to me (like one Bob book) about once a week. That seems to be working out well for now, but I am wondering how much we should shoot for next year. Daily? Weekly? A few times a week?

Just curious what you all do:) She'll be 5 then, the rest of her work will be Kindergarten level, although we'll be doing 1st grade reading.

I have mine read to me every school day. We have been using Horizons K Phonics and other readers (A Beka, Bob Books, etc.). I felt the Horizons was a little much to do 5 lessons a day so I shoot for 3 a week. I'll use it into next year, but it covers A LOT of phonics. It does include readers with a story for every lesson. It has really helped his reading take off because the stories include blends and sounds he hasn't learned yet. I just help him with words he can't do on his own. On the off days, we use the other readers in the house or from the library.

Ds7 reads out loud to me daily. We started this in preK when he first started reading and I plan on continuing even next year when we'll be in third grade. This is such a sweet time for us. Ds also has a time each day when I send him to read silently (I chose the materials) and then have him tell me what he read and then free reading time at bed.

At your dd's reading level I would consider having her read orally to you more frequently than once a week. As those skills are emerging you want to be right there to support and encourage her, keep her from getting frustrated/discouraged, make sure no bad habits get started...

My .02 :001_smile:

I read a picture book to our 1st grader daily. Then he reads a reader to me.

This week, he was sick on Monday. Tueday, Wed., and Thursday, his brother was in the hospital for dehydration. Of course, he didn't read to me those days. Friday, he read to me from a reader and he had difficulty.

I was really able to see the value of him reading daily.

I was doing frequent reading (3 to 5 times a week) from decodable books with my daughter when she was 4. Then, I noticed she was sometimes guessing when reading sentences. So, I stopped having her do readings, and when she wanted to read a book, I would help her sound out words she hadn't yet learned how to sound out on her own.

I just focused on phonics for K until she had learned all the sound spelling correspondences necessary to sound out any word. This occurred about halfway through K when she was about 2/3 of the way through Webster's Speller. Then, I had her read from me daily, but she just read her science or Bible reading for the day for me because she didn't need a special reader at that point, she could read from any book. At first, we took turns--she would read a paragraph, then I would read a paragraph.

We are not using readers now, but easy reading books. Short chapter books for about grade 4. My DD reads a loud from one of these books everyday, normally 1 chapter so about 10 mins. I sit with her and make sure she is reading word for word.

Before getting to this point we did a reading lesson everyday which involved reading a passage as well as learning the phonics.

For the rest of the time she will read whatever, signs when we are out, other books, things i have lying around, labels, basically anything and everything. She loves reading.

I did read alouds until ds was about 11 years old. Usually we would alternate in a literature book and discuss the story/topic.

I do read alouds with my daughters now for comprehension and they are 6 and 8. Actually we need to start a new book as it has been too long since we've read one.

Hi Sarah! :)

My boys did not begin to read until they were 5 (kindergarten year) so I am lacking in pre-school phonics experience beyond letter and sound recognition, but it sounds like you are doing a great job!

For kindergarten, we work on phonics and reading everyday. I find the best way to absorb our lessons is to read from a reader that incorporates the skills from the current and previous lessons into our reading. The only program that I found that will do this is Reading A-Z. Last year they held an open house in May and it was a great opportunity to see what they have to offer. I find it is a bit pricey, but well worth it for phonics instruction as you can print out a reader for each new skill. The Homeschool Buyers Co-op is offering a group buy on all Learning A-Z products through April 23rd. I was using OPGTR (which I love), ETC and BOB Books but I found it very frustrating to get everything to "flow" together and I found the BOB Books were not enough. Now I just use Reading A-Z and ETC and that is working very well.

HTH! :)

~Melissa

I use SL's Fun Tale and reading schedule. It has you dc read one book a week once a day. Meaning they read the same bookevery day for a week. The books are like Bob Books. Each week they get a new book. It is working well for my 5yo. It lets her gain some fluency, although she still sound out about half the words even after the 5th reading.

Edited by Tabrett

My son, 6 1/2, just finished reading the 5 sets of primary readers. Each story was 16 short pages and took about 10 min. or so. I did them 4 days a week. Now he has started the #2 readers that we either have or get from the library. I'm making sure he does it 5 days - about 6-8 pages or a chapter, if the book has chapters. We just finished Frog and Toad are Friends and are onto Amelia Bedilia at the doctors office. I've also googled first grade reading books and got a list off of a school web site that I plan to progress through.

This is all so helpful. I am going to start doing more phonogram work with him and stop with the readers for a while. I will continue to read aloud, but will increase that to daily readings instead of using the readers. I think he gets impatient sounding out and guesses as the story progresses. I'm so anxious for him to read that I didn't realize that we just need to slow down.

Nancy in NC

Ariel reads at least one easy book (BOB, Nora Gaydos, etc) or part of a longer "easy reader" like A Fly Went By or Green Eggs and Ham every day. We don't make it a part of school time, though. We do it at bedtime. If she wants me to read stories, she has to read to me. It's worked out well so far.

Oh, A Fly Went By! I never would have thought of that one:) She's not quite ready for it, but getting close. I remember thinking that one was sooo boring when I got it as a kid, but I do think it's still in my mom's attic:) I think I was probably too far above the reading level at the time.