Menu

Atlanta people

Do you use Marta? Would you use Marta?

I must booked a hotel in Buckhead for three boys and I for a couple of nights. I really have to stay at this hotel, because BELIEVE me, it's hard to find a room in Atlanta with 2 queens, a pull out sofa, and an indoor pool (which was very important!) And this one was pretty cheap.

I think at this point I feel more comfortable taking Marta to the CNN building and to the High Museum than I would driving and finding parking. I'll have three 11 year old boys with me, and I want to feel safe. I've taken public transport in four or five major cities (Chicago, D.C., NY, Paris, Tokyo) and never worried about safety at all, but reading online about safety on Marta was a little worrisome.

If you tell me not to, I will drive and park, but that makes me nervous! I am going to drive to the MLK Jr. National Historic Site before we even check into our hotel, but the parking there looks pretty easy.

Not many people here use Marta. ;) It's a driving city. Marta is not as nice (imo) as transportation in other large cities (like the ones you mentioned) because it's not really used enough & doesn't have enough routes (so therefore people don't use it as much -- the catch 22 of the situation).....

I would think that Marta would be safe enough in the areas you mentioned, esp. during the daytime hours. But, I can't say w/ authority because we always drive/carpool. (However, I've used public transportation in other big cities like D.C., NYC, various European cities w/out problem. I just don't use it here at home because it's not convenient for anywhere that we want to go.)

Fwiw, driving/parking at the High is not hard. CNN either. But, Atl drivers are aggressive & FAST. If that makes you nervous, stick to Marta. (I don't think I'd do Marta at night/after rush hour, though.)

Sorry for my vague response. Maybe someone who actually uses Marta will respond.

Also, if it makes a difference to you, people are allowed to carry concealed weapons on public transportation here. Whether you consider that a plus or a minus is up to you.

ETA: P.S. You do know the King Tut exhibit is here too right now, right???

Edited by Stacia

I don't take MARTA often (we're north of Atlanta, so we're not in town too much), but I have done it with kids a few times, and I've never felt unsafe. It's definitely less convenient than public transportation in other big cities (and parking in Atlanta is more convenient and less expensive than other places (Boston is largely what I'm comparing Atlanta to on both counts)), but it has its place. If you're staying very close to a MARTA station and going somewhere near one, I think it would be worthwhile. FWIW, you can find free on-street parking within a few blocks of the High fairly easily. Well, maybe you can't right now, with the special exhibit.

We just returned from our annual TeenPact week with our homeschool group and we staye at the Marriot Airport Southside. It was very reasonable and had suites also with an indoor pool. The Country Inn and Suites a little north of Atlanta was a 10 minute ride in and also has all of your requirements.

But if you must take Marta I can tell you that our kids age ranging from 13 to 18 about 25 of them took it every morning and evening from the hotel. They even switched trains. The station at Underground Atlanta is the one that I used the one time I rode it all the way past Buckhead stop and it was fine. A little smelly but all public transportation seems to have a certain smell and being a migrainer I may be more sensitive than others to smells. One thing though, after 5pm Underground Atlanta is kinda scary for those not use to serious Urban apparel and attitudes. They will walk right through you and your kids if you don't step aside, so we went upstairs and entered farther down from street side.

My understanding from regular users of the Marta,which include Representatives and a Senator or 2, find it safe and the workers quick to act if anything inappropriate is happening. If it were me and kids I would make sure that I rode it in the daytime with the business people and students but I really don't think you will be in danger any more than walking downtown Atlanta. Daytime is the key though. Let us if you decide to take the Marta what your experienc is like.

PS, the World of Coke is great, as is playing in Centennial Park which is right in the same block and so is the Georgia Aquarium. There are several other not so well know Museums that are great and also the Children's Museum across from the World of Coke is very entertaining and hands on for kids.

When I visit my mom in Duluth, I take MARTA to/from the airport. My sister used it often when she didn't have a car.

My honest opinion- if you're not used to Atlanta driving, don't drive in Atlanta! I'm a Jersey driver, and my first experience driving to the aquarium was *awful*. I can do bumper-to-bumper. I can do 70mph. I can NOT do bumper-to-bumper at 70mph! :blink:

The whole thing was very stressful. Take MARTA!

I work in Buckhead and live in a northern suburb. I used to work downtown. Of the two evils, Marta vs. driving, Marta is the way to go. Driving in downtown Atlanta is awful. The streets are randomly one-way; the signage is ridiculously lacking; drivers are aggressive, as others have mentioned; parking is expensive; it's oh-so-crowded; and streets are not necessarily laid out in the nice little grid you've come to expect from other cities. If anything, Atlanta's downtown streets seem to be laid out in a series of overlapping triangles.

Marta's no picnic, either, of course. It seems pricey compared to other cities, and there are never any helpful attendants to point you in the right direction like we always found in D.C. On the other hand, while it has a smell, it's not as bad as New York. How's that for a recommendation???

Welcome to Atlanta. :glare:

I should add that if you're downtown on a weekend, driving will be much, much easier than it would be during the week.

Terri

I would have little worry going the places you mentioned. I only ride Marta occasionally now, but it does beat driving/parking in traffic. I feel as safe on Marta as I did riding the subway in DC or NYC.

Enjoy your trip,

Amy

I can do bumper-to-bumper. I can do 70mph. I can NOT do bumper-to-bumper at 70mph! :blink:

That says it perfectly! We moved from Atlanta 16 years go but return several times a year for family. What you said is so true! I've traded Atlanta driving for Chicago driving and I'll keep Chicago, thankyouverymuch.

That says it perfectly! We moved from Atlanta 16 years go but return several times a year for family. What you said is so true! I've traded Atlanta driving for Chicago driving and I'll keep Chicago, thankyouverymuch.

Apparently I've opted for an extreme in comparing Atlanta to Boston, then :lol: I don't love driving in Atlanta, but I'll do it. I absolutely refused to drive downtown in Boston for the 5 years that we lived there.

I can do 70mph. I can NOT do bumper-to-bumper at 70mph! :blink:

Wimp. (just kidding)

Atlanta is calm compared to Brussels. Wrap your brain around that...

If anything, Atlanta's downtown streets seem to be laid out in a series of overlapping triangles.

Terri

Bwa ha ha! This is SO true.

Driving downtown is a flipping nightmare. There is always some seemingly unannounced "event" at the dome, to boot, so it isn't even like you can "drive around".

Go with Marta - it's much safer than it smells.

asta

When I visit my mom in Duluth, I take MARTA to/from the airport. My sister used it often when she didn't have a car.

My honest opinion- if you're not used to Atlanta driving, don't drive in Atlanta! I'm a Jersey driver, and my first experience driving to the aquarium was *awful*. I can do bumper-to-bumper. I can do 70mph. I can NOT do bumper-to-bumper at 70mph! :blink:

...my idea of hell on earth. Really. I don't drive in the Atlanta area at all, and (I'm very serious here) I get panicky even if someone else is doing the driving. Afternoon rush hour(s) is the WORST (3:00-6:00 pm or so) but in the Atlanta area, I think it's pretty much rush hour all the time.

We lived in an Atlanta suburb for 5 years and regularly took MARTA when going into town or to the airport. When my mom came to visit, I took MARTA to the airport and brought her back north on it. DH and I would leave our car at the Doraville station and take the subway into town in the evening, and I'd often pick him up at Doraville when he was returning from out of town (he'd take the MARTA north from the airport to Doraville and I'd get him at the Kiss and Ride.)

I never felt nervous, ill at ease, or unsafe. But I've always lived in big, diverse cities. After five years, I got used to driving in Atlanta, but as a previous poster mentioned the streets are apparently randomly laid out and street names change, sometimes numerous times.

And don't get me started on all the variations of street names with "Peach" in them. The two major roads near where we lived were Peachtree Parkway and Peachtree Industrial...guess how many times I got on the wrong one in the first few weeks we were living there? Unfortunately, they diverged in the shape of a "V" and by the time you realized you were on the wrong one, it was a big production to turn around! Oh, and to get to our house, you turned off Peachtree Parkway, onto Peachtree Corners Circle, and drove past Peachtree Corners Baptist Church. You're getting the idea.

Have a great time! I miss Atlanta in many ways, but driving in town is not one of them!

Janet

Afternoon rush hour(s) is the WORST (3:00-6:00 pm or so) but in the Atlanta area, I think it's pretty much rush hour all the time.

We lived northeast of Atlanta, and I told my mom that if she booked a flight to Atlanta that arrived anytime after 2 pm, she would be riding the subway with me from the airport (in the south) to our local MARTA station where I parked my car. I love her but not enough to drive through Atlanta in rush hour to get to the airport!

MARTA is very safe. It's not as comprehensive as other cities' systems, but it works for events, Braves games, etc. We drive in to a station & park, then take MARTA the rest of the way.

It's easier to figure out the three hours of each day when there's NOT "rush hour" traffic in Atlanta than to try to name all the different rushes! :D

(I lived there back in the late 90s and my Dad still lives in the area.)

...my idea of hell on earth. Really. I don't drive in the Atlanta area at all, and (I'm very serious here) I get panicky even if someone else is doing the driving. Afternoon rush hour(s) is the WORST (3:00-6:00 pm or so) but in the Atlanta area, I think it's pretty much rush hour all the time.

Yeah. I just did this yesterday, as a visitor and passenger, with my 17 year old, with driver's permit, driving. Trial by fire! I was permanently riding the passenger air brake and desperately looking for an "oh ****!" handle the whole time. :tongue_smilie: But she did great, we got here without any incidences and I might be calm enough for the return trip in a few days.

We just went to the High for the Terracotta Army exhibit - AWESOME. We liked it better than Tut. My kids say get the audio for sure. I was planning on taking Marta, but my friend said she would drive. Marta is fine and is not confusing. Let us know what else you are doing while in Atlanta.

We just went to the High for the Terracotta Army exhibit - AWESOME. We liked it better than Tut. My kids say get the audio for sure.

I was the opposite. I liked the Tut exhibit much more than the Terracotta Army. The Terracotta Army was pretty neat, but the museum was overcrowded, which didn't help. And, I'll admit that I'm partial to ancient Egypt because I find it so fascinating.

I did find it interesting to see both w/in a relativly short time-frame of each other, to contrast the styles & opulence of both. The two exhibits actually work very well in tandem w/ each other.

:iagree:

Oh, come on, gals. Just channel your inner Nascar driver..... :lol:

You know, the down-town connector is so Nascar, it's not funny. 400 is often called the Alpharetta Autobahn! I only wish I had a car that went faster and handled better, so I could truly embrace the mood. :lol:

But, Atl drivers are aggressive & FAST.

I had to laugh at this and all the other comparisons of Atlanta drivers!! Coming from South Florida, I think the drivers are pleasant, accomodating, and not too fast!! In fact when we were scouting out a place to live, DH got pulled over on I-75 (maybe going 80 which is normal on I-95 from Miami to West Palm!!). I notice when I go 65 on that 55 mph stretch on 75 that I am keeping up with traffic and not getting passed by. And I have observed drivers letting in other drivers from the ramps, etc. I'd much rather drive the hghwys here than in SFL!!

disclaimer - I have not yet driven on the Jenny's Alpharetta Autoban (400). Perhaps my opinion will change whent that happens!!

You know, the down-town connector is so Nascar, it's not funny. 400 is often called the Alpharetta Autobahn! I only wish I had a car that went faster and handled better, so I could truly embrace the mood. :lol:

Maybe we should split the lease on a high-performance sports car??? We can take turns using it on the autobahn.

:D

You people are crazy! My teen with the permit made the return trip yesterday. We hit Atlanta at about 4:00. It was bumper to bumper, sevety miles and hour in the pouring rain for over an hour. I think that it would be safe to say that this child can drive. We are going to work on parallel parking today and then license tomorrow. Another one grown up. Thank god to have another driver in the house. Now if we could just get another car. :auto:

Edited by KidsHappen