Menu

Sad animal day at our house...

The day started badly.

Last night my favorite big, fat, fluffy calico cat came into the shop to eat and I was shocked at what I saw. She was covered, all down the front of her, with saliva that looked to be mixed with blood and (sorry) snot. It was all on her face, chest, legs, everywhere. She had been fine a couple days before so I was pretty concerned. I put her on a pillow in a dog kennel for the evening and planned to take her in to the vet as soon as they opened this morning.

This morning I awoke to a call from the PO - my baby chicks had arrived! Well, I rushed to get them, came back home, opened the box to find one nearly dead, separated from the others that were huddled in the corner (SO sad). We pulled him out and started sugar water ASAP. (At this point it wasn't early enough to bring the cat)

I took the "healthy" babies to the brooder and started putting them in and dipping the beaks in the water, etc. I found 3 smashed under the others - dead, and had about 1/2 dozen more that were weak.

My mom left to drop my cat so I could tend to the chicks (we brought the weak ones inside), then I had to go to work and she was going to keep up with them for the day. We lost one more before I left for work. I called to check on them and another had died.

When I returned home I went to the brooder and 3 more were dead and several more looked weak again. So back to the house those went.

Now, I have lost a total of 8 and have 6 in the infirmary.

To top that, my vet called. We talked at length. My cat has feline leukemia and has to be put down due to the risks to my other cats, and, of course, her pain. Her mouth and nose were full of ulcers which was causing all the drooling and bleeding. Her temp was quite high. She was testing anemic and her white blood count was low (not good if you're supposed to be fighting off something). Her immune system wasn't working at all.

Of course now I have to be concerned about my other outdoor cats. Due to the fact that we generally rescue everything we see on the side of the road, I only spay/neuter and give rabies vax to my cats. I just can't keep up with all the vaccines on that many animals. I justify it by thinking what would happen to them and the pet population if we never picked them up (but that doesn't make me feel better right now - Roxy was my favorite of all the cats).

The day started badly.

Last night my favorite big, fat, fluffy calico cat came into the shop to eat and I was shocked at what I saw. She was covered, all down the front of her, with saliva that looked to be mixed with blood and (sorry) snot. It was all on her face, chest, legs, everywhere. She had been fine a couple days before so I was pretty concerned. I put her on a pillow in a dog kennel for the evening and planned to take her in to the vet as soon as they opened this morning.

This morning I awoke to a call from the PO - my baby chicks had arrived! Well, I rushed to get them, came back home, opened the box to find one nearly dead, separated from the others that were huddled in the corner (SO sad). We pulled him out and started sugar water ASAP. (At this point it wasn't early enough to bring the cat)

I took the "healthy" babies to the brooder and started putting them in and dipping the beaks in the water, etc. I found 3 smashed under the others - dead, and had about 1/2 dozen more that were weak.

My mom left to drop my cat so I could tend to the chicks (we brought the weak ones inside), then I had to go to work and she was going to keep up with them for the day. We lost one more before I left for work. I called to check on them and another had died.

When I returned home I went to the brooder and 3 more were dead and several more looked weak again. So back to the house those went.

Now, I have lost a total of 8 and have 6 in the infirmary.

To top that, my vet called. We talked at length. My cat has feline leukemia and has to be put down due to the risks to my other cats, and, of course, her pain. Her mouth and nose were full of ulcers which was causing all the drooling and bleeding. Her temp was quite high. She was testing anemic and her white blood count was low (not good if you're supposed to be fighting off something). Her immune system wasn't working at all.

Of course now I have to be concerned about my other outdoor cats. Due to the fact that we generally rescue everything we see on the side of the road, I only spay/neuter and give rabies vax to my cats. I just can't keep up with all the vaccines on that many animals. I justify it by thinking what would happen to them and the pet population if we never picked them up (but that doesn't make me feel better right now - Roxy was my favorite of all the cats).

Oh, Stacey. I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you. I love my kitties, too, and I know how hard it is to lose one. You did what you could, and she loved you, and felt love in return. Bless you for that.

Ria

Oh bless your heart, how sad to lose your kitty. We take in every cat that comes along too, and "give them the works" the first time we take them to the vet, but then they live wild in the barn and it's so hard to get them vaxxed every year.

Hope the rest of your kitties stay well.