Menu

Random poll question about corn.

Did you know corn isn't a vegetable?  

1. 1. Did you know corn isn't a vegetable?

• Yes.
    • Nope. News to me.

Kinda random...Do you know corn isn't a vegetable? I think some (many?) aren't aware that corn is a grain, not a vegetable. I wonder if this is in part due to how it's portrayed in our culture. Remember the Swanson's tv dinners from yesteryear, for example? Corn was the "vegetable" in there, alongside meat loaf and mashed potatoes.:D

Did you know that a grain is a vegetable?

veg⋅e⋅ta⋅ble

1.any plant whose fruit, seeds, roots, tubers, bulbs, stems, leaves, or flower parts are used as food, as the tomato, bean, beet, potato, onion, asparagus, spinach, or cauliflower.2.the edible part of such a plant, as the tuber of the potato.3.any member of the vegetable kingdom; plant.

;)

Kinda random...Do you know corn isn't a vegetable? I think some (many?) aren't aware that corn is a grain, not a vegetable. I wonder if this is in part due to how it's portrayed in our culture. Remember the Swanson's tv dinners from yesteryear, for example? Corn was the "vegetable" in there, alongside meat loaf and mashed potatoes.:D

Yep, I know that. And most of the available corn is genetically modified beyond recognition.

When I was in my ob residency - my first week I think - a new dad gave me a thank you gift of heirloom white corn from Maryland's eastern shore. I've never looked at corn the same since. That was some good corn!

From eXtension:

FAQ #17275

Please settle a dispute. Is sweet corn a vegetable or a grain? What is the difference? How about field corn?

Corn seed is actually a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit.

Corn seed is a vegetable because it is harvested for eating. (Usually sweet corn when grain is harvested at the milk stage.)

Corn seed is a grain because it is a dry seed of a grass species. (Usually field corn when harvested after the grain is relatively dry.)

Corn seed is a fruit because that is the botanical definition.

More details follow.

Corn (Zea mays) is sometimes called a vegetable grain. Corn is a monocotyledon with only one seed leaf like grasses. The easily identified "grains" (or cereal plants/grasses) such as wheat, oats, and barley are also monocots. A grain is defined as the harvested dry seeds or fruit of a cereal grass, or the term can refer to the cereal grasses collectively.

Field corn that is harvested when the seeds are dry would thus be considered a grain. Sweet corn when harvested before maturity is usually considered a vegetable. It is grown to be eaten fresh as a tender vegetable rather than as a dried grain suitable for grinding into flour or meal. A vegetable is defined as a plant cultivated for an edible part or parts such as roots, stems, leaves, flowers, or seeds/fruit.

If you want to be very precise, all cereal grains could be called vegetables, but by convention we separate the cereal grains from the rest of the "vegetables" such as peas, lettuce, potatoes, cabbage, etc.

I learned from a dietician, while pregnant with my second, that both corn and peas are dietarily classified as 'starch', not 'vegetable'. I was, um, 29 at the time. My parents served us the standard-American-junk-diet growing up, and corn was usually the only 'vegetable' we saw. And to think of all the times I choked down peas as an adult, thinking they were good for me. :lol: I'd much rather have broccoli or grean beans...

It's weird, I very rarely serve corn to my family. I really do love it, but after learning the truth about it, and considering how much I ate of it as a child, I just can't bring myself to serve it.

I learned from a dietician, while pregnant with my second, that both corn and peas are dietarily classified as 'starch', not 'vegetable'. I was, um, 29 at the time. My parents served us the standard-American-junk-diet growing up, and corn was usually the only 'vegetable' we saw. And to think of all the times I choked down peas as an adult, thinking they were good for me. :lol: I'd much rather have broccoli or grean beans...

It's weird, I very rarely serve corn to my family. I really do love it, but after learning the truth about it, and considering how much I ate of it as a child, I just can't bring myself to serve it.

I think technically peas are legumes like beans.

Yep. But growing up I didn't know.

Yep. I *know* it is a grain, but I think of fresh corn (or frozen) served for dinner as a starchy vegetable. My parents always had a second veggie (like green salad) when corn was served. Same with baked potatoes.

I think of it as a grain when it is ground corn. So corn bread, grain. Polenta, grain.

and tomatoes are a fruit!

It is actually a veggie according to the public school system.:blink: If it were to be considered a fruit the school lunch system would have to be totally revamped. So the gov. allows it to be a "vegetable".:001_unsure:

My understanding is that there are botanical distinctions and culinary distinctions. Botanically, it is a grain. Culinarily, it is treated as both a grain and a vegetable. It is all in how you prepare it. In cornbread, it's a grain; steamed on the cob, it's a vegetable (culinarily speaking).

When I was in my ob residency - my first week I think - a new dad gave me a thank you gift of heirloom white corn from Maryland's eastern shore. I've never looked at corn the same since. That was some good corn!

One of my biggest disappointments about moving from MD to NC is the dearth of good vegetables in NC. Even when we grow them ourselves, they don't taste the same because the dirt here is different. We've bought loads of topsoil for our garden, and the veggies still don't have much flavor. If we go to MD in late summer or fall, we always bring back a couple dozen ears of corn on the cob. I think this year, we are going to stick to strawberries and sweet potatoes in our garden.

One of my biggest disappointments about moving from MD to NC is the dearth of good vegetables in NC. Even when we grow them ourselves, they don't taste the same because the dirt here is different. We've bought loads of topsoil for our garden, and the veggies still don't have much flavor. If we go to MD in late summer or fall, we always bring back a couple dozen ears of corn on the cob. I think this year, we are going to stick to strawberries and sweet potatoes in our garden.

:iagree::iagree:

Same here. We came from IL to NC and it was like being thrown out of Eden, gardenwise. The soil and the heat must create the difference. I guess the solution would be to develop a great love for things like collards and okra that grow here so well.

I'm not voting. The whole thing is so stinking arbitrary. Ds and I looked up fruits, veggies and starches, and it seems that it depends on the source as to how they're categorized. I'm starting to think where something sits on the pyramid is about as scientific as 'race.'