Menu

I'm Twittering

For anyone who's interested...I'm on Twitter now (user name SusanWiseBauer). On work days, I’ll be posting brief updates as I write; on the days when I’m parent in charge, I’ll let you know how the whole home-school/farming enterprise is progressing. If you're interested, add me to your list.

SWB

Sounds like it would be fun and informative, but I just cannot add another distraction to my life right now. Maybe you could collect some into a "day in the life" post on your blog in the future. I have found those very informative and encouraging in the past. Happy Twittering!

I'm going to sheepishly ask... what is twitter and should I be twittering? Is it anything like facebook?

Twitter is not like facebook other than the status part. It's just following peoples statuses. You can respond and send messages but that is pretty much it. Since I am off of facebook for lent I have my twitter updates connected to my facebook account so people will know that I am still alive. ;)

I'm going to sheepishly ask... what is twitter and should I be twittering? Is it anything like facebook?

No, you shouldn't be twittering (imo), unless you want to spend time providing and/or reading mini status updates. When twitter first came around a good friend convinced me to give it a whirl and there wasn't a thing I liked about it. There comes a point when we really don't need to tell others what we're doing every minute of the day, kwim?;)

Twitter is not like facebook other than the status part. It's just following peoples statuses. You can respond and send messages but that is pretty much it. Since I am off of facebook for lent I have my twitter updates connected to my facebook account so people will know that I am still alive. ;)

Ok, so it's kind of like how I use facebook then. I do post a picture now and then but I don't bother with the games and the applications get on my nerves. I do like to see what everyone is up to though. I do like to comment on a status. That's not something you do on twitter?

sub with bloglines button
no way!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just getting back into reading blogs b/c there are a few I'm really liking and I was just updating my bloglines last night - it's been like a year since I used it, LOL. You can read twitter updates on that??? oh that is so cool. Awesome. I'm so excited now. I can twitter without tweeting :D:D

Ok, so it's kind of like how I use facebook then. I do post a picture now and then but I don't bother with the games and the applications get on my nerves. I do like to see what everyone is up to though. I do like to comment on a status. That's not something you do on twitter?

You can comment on statuses.

I don't twitter, but I read a (really way too many) large number of blogs through bloglines ... I pressed my "sub with bloglines button" and voila ... there she is without joining twitter. Beautiful.

Hey Dawn, is that working for you? It hasn't updated since I subbed...I added another twitter and that one isn't updated in bloglines either.

Thanks Susan for twittering. Through you I found Charlie of old times... His girls are sure growing up!

I'm having a problem with twitter though. Some people have added me, and I don't really know them. My twittering is half-French half-English, and is half about homeschooling and half about stuff on the internet. Those people I don't know work on the internet, and somehow find what I twittered about interesting. But now, I don't want to twitter about homeschool with complete strangers! I'm underground, the public opinion is completely against homeschooling. The last thing I want is to have the CPS on my back...

Should I flush them or not?

CleoQC,

That's what I was going to suggest...two accounts. It does sound time consuming.

Jenny and Mama Lynx,

search for "Twitter" on Facebook, add the application, then open it and log into it with your Twitter user name and password, and it will automatically begin to send updates to your FB page.

SWB

Jenny and Mama Lynx,

search for "Twitter" on Facebook, add the application, then open it and log into it with your Twitter user name and password, and it will automatically begin to send updates to your FB page.

SWB

I have mine set up so that Twitter posts my Facebook status updates (since I'm more likely to update Facebook than Twitter.)

Why are you on this Twitter-thingy? I don't get it. Is it narcisissm? I am seriously not trying to sound snarky (although battling a migraine here), but aren't we already exposed enough here on this board (and even on Facebook for those so inclined)??

Please do enlighten me. I had never heard of Twitter till now, but it seems a bit voyeuristic, no?

Why are you on this Twitter-thingy?

Well, it's kind of like picking up the phone, calling a friend, asking her what she's doing, telling her what you're doing and what you're making for dinner and what you think about this crazy article you read online, except you're having the conversation with all of your friends at once and you can insert hyperlinks into your sentences. Know what I mean? It is voyeuristic, but no more so than that phone call...unless you allow anyone on the planet, people you don't know, to "follow" you on Twitter. Then it can get creepy. In my opinion, that is.

Why are you on this Twitter-thingy? I don't get it. Is it narcisissm? I am seriously not trying to sound snarky (although battling a migraine here), but aren't we already exposed enough here on this board (and even on Facebook for those so inclined)??

Please do enlighten me. I had never heard of Twitter till now, but it seems a bit voyeuristic, no?

I don't see that its any more voyeuristic than anwhere else you share part of yourself, or allow others insight into your world- and that can be here, a phone call, emails, whatever.

At first I thought Facebook was kind of like that- narcissistic- but I hung in there waiting to see what all the fuss was about.

What I am seeing is that it is PLAY, and its fun, and it doesn't have to be a big deal or serious. I am finding I am actually interested in what people are doing and saying. If I wasnt, it would hold no attraction (and I must admit the attraction is minimal, but enough to keep me in there.)

The other day I made some frivolous comment about watching Battlestar Galactica with my kids, on Facebook.....and suddenly people I am connected to through Facebook- and IRL too because I dont allow anyone I dont know IRL- started chatting, and my little whimsical comment led to a fun and playful connection with a friend and a relative.

I think if you dont take it too seriously, its just a playful way of sharing yourself and making connections ....which is a mixed blessing of course, as the internet always is, as we spend more time online chatting and connecting wide and far.....and perhaps less IRL.

I've surely mangled the spelling...

They will keep a nature journal, and I think I've got them talked into keeping an extremely brief travel log, just enough to jog their own memories, but they won't journal. They will, however, chat with friends like this online or over the phone, a hi-what-are-you-doing sort of thing. Therefore (great reasoning here - hunh?) I think they must be different things. I think the journalling-for-other-people sort, twittering or facebooking or whatever, is something which makes them feel connected to other people, whereas the private journalling makes them feel like they are self-agrandizing.

I think some publishished journals do have a self-concious feel to them, as though the journaler were thinking that his thoughts would be important if he became famous. Some, though, don't. The Diary of Anne Frank (Ann Frank?), for example. Are their two types of journalers - those who think of their journals as friends and write for comfort and connectedness, and those who write because think their thoughts may be important to someone other than themselves? I'm not counting scientific or engineering or sailing or creative journals, where the writer records his thoughts because they may be of use to the writer in the immediate future. What other sorts of journalers are there?

-Nan

Why are you on this Twitter-thingy?

My non-homeschooling contacts mainly share internet links that they find of interest. Since we have the same professional interests, those links might interest me too. They rarely talk about their personal lives on twitter, but only of their work life. (hence my problem because my work life - homeschooling - borders on my personal life - raising kids)

So it's a bit like the coffee room break. Go get a coffee, get a 2 seconds chat with a co-worker, move on.