Menu

Where's the Birthday Girl?! Colleen....

Thank you so much, everyone! I think most of you know these special days are usually a bit difficult for me, so I truly appreciate your well wishes. I knew my dh would intentionally ignore my birthday again, so I've done some things over the past few days to celebrate myself. Friday I enjoyed a 17-mile run through wooded trails and along the water. Saturday I spent the whole day on my own. I got a facial and haircut, then putzed around in a couple of my favorite shops. I bought a new running shirt I didn't need, as well as the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of War & Peace. Then I had a leisurely, casual dinner.

Yesterday, Sunday, we went to brunch at a quirky cafe I enjoy. The boys and I meandered along the waterfront, then came home and played a rousing game of Settlers of Catan. This morning I went on a quick run before picking up some bakery items to bring home for breakfast. The boys had all bought me some dark chocolate, so they were excited to give that to me. In honor of my 40th, I wrote each of the boys a card, telling each that I celebrate their presence in my life. I'm going to give the cards to them at dinner, along with a little treat. Later I'm off to choir practice and a baby shower.

Thanks again for thinking of me. And Julie, I hope your girls are feeling better, and that you were able to enjoy your birthday yesterday. Only a little more than a week 'til lift-off for you. Woo hoo!:)

Thank you so much, everyone! I think most of you know these special days are usually a bit difficult for me, so I truly appreciate your well wishes. I knew my dh would intentionally ignore my birthday again, so I've done some things over the past few days to celebrate myself. Friday I enjoyed a 17-mile run through wooded trails and along the water. Saturday I spent the whole day on my own. I got a facial and haircut, then putzed around in a couple of my favorite shops. I bought a new running shirt I didn't need, as well as the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of War & Peace. Then I had a leisurely, casual dinner.

Yesterday, Sunday, we went to brunch at a quirky cafe I enjoy. The boys and I meandered along the waterfront, then came home and played a rousing game of Settlers of Catan. This morning I went on a quick run before picking up some bakery items to bring home for breakfast. The boys had all bought me some dark chocolate, so they were excited to give that to me. In honor of my 40th, I wrote each of the boys a card, telling each that I celebrate their presence in my life. I'm going to give the cards to them at dinner, along with a little treat. Later I'm off to choir practice and a baby shower.

Thanks again for thinking of me. And Julie, I hope your girls are feeling better, and that you were able to enjoy your birthday yesterday. Only a little more than a week 'til lift-off for you. Woo hoo!:)

I am so glad you are able to do things for yourself on your day. If it helps, none of my family seemed to remember that it was my birthday today. It is a good thing I was here at Dy's- she has been spoiling me the whole time!

Happy birthday again, friend. Thinking of you the whole day through.

Well, I have one of those "intentionally ignorant" dh's too. I'm choosing to see my day as relaxing--celebrating my 40th by staying home with my sick kiddos and sending the guys off to church wasn't so bad. -And it's true that I'm getting a really huge birthday present in just 10 days!

Now if I can just get over my sickly anxious feelings about the trip, I'll be in good shape. I keep having daydream-nightmares wherein I either A.) Miss our flight B.) Arrive at the airport and find that I don't have important paperwork that we need, either for me or my kid, or C.) Either ds or I (or both) of us get so sick that we have to cancel the trip, or D.) Dh's worries all come true and we die in a fiery plane crash caused by terrorists *and* we get mugged on the way down where our bodies end up lost forever in a watery grave along with the burned wreckage of the plane. :eek::blink::smilielol5:

as well as the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation of War & Peace.

This is a fabulous translation; I'm really enjoying it. War and Peace gets an undeserved reputation of being difficult, but it's not. At least not when it's translated by these two.

Let me know if you want some accountability. I am reading EVERYTHING else including cereal boxes each day before settling down to War & Peace. :tongue_smilie:

And I bought myself some beautiful earthy brown yoga clothes for my birthday...that I certainly don't need either! (Especially since I usually practice at home, alone. Hee.)

Julie