Menu

Is my daughter too young for a bra? help!

I am a bit lost.... I can't remember at all when I got when, let alone shopping for one... I do know it was too late and I never talked with my mother about this stuff.:confused:

My dd is only 8 1/2 and these past 6 months she has changed so much! I one month she went through to pant sizes! She is not fat but she doesn't have chicken legs anymore....

But any how I am noticing that she is "popping" a little out of her shirt. I have been requiring her to wear undershirts but I am wondering should I get her some bras.... She hasn't mentioned anything to me but I was just wondering what other would do?

Should I get any and if so should they be like the sports bra type or the little girl bra style?:001_huh:

Thank you so much!

My oldest daughter had to begin wearing a bra at that age. I was so concerned that I actually took her to an endocrinologist. I was told this was the early level of "normal." She hit puberty one month after she turned 11. I was SO not prepared for this to happen this early, but it really does.

I am a bit lost.... I can't remember at all when I got when, let alone shopping for one... I do know it was too late and I never talked with my mother about this stuff.:confused:

My dd is only 8 1/2 and these past 6 months she has changed so much! I one month she went through to pant sizes! She is not fat but she doesn't have chicken legs anymore....

But any how I am noticing that she is "popping" a little out of her shirt. I have been requiring her to wear undershirts but I am wondering should I get her some bras.... She hasn't mentioned anything to me but I was just wondering what other would do?

Should I get any and if so should they be like the sports bra type or the little girl bra style?:001_huh:

Thank you so much!

At that age I would definitely go with a sports bra. Something that won't be too obvious under her shirt, but will give her a little protection too.

I distinctly remember being 8 and in the 3rd grade when I got my first bra. It was just kind of a training bra that kept my buds from poking out of my blouses, etc . . . but it was definitely necessary.

I don't have a daughter, so I don't know if it's normal development or not, but it definitely happened to me. So your dear daughter wouldn't be the first. :001_smile:

My dd got a sports bra at 8. She still has them and she has one with small cups (AAA, I think) that she wears for special occasions when sports bra would look "off". Her sports bras sometimes show and look like a little cami underneath,too,which makes her feel better than a bra, kwim?

Oh Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I was thinking I was going crazy! However I guess I should have expected this.....I am not exactly small (DD)! My poor little girl she has no clue whats up ahead! LOL

Thank you all.....

Now how do I go about talking with my husband about this? LOL he is going to flip!:lol:

Oh Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I was thinking I was going crazy! However I guess I should have expected this.....I am not exactly small (DD)! My poor little girl she has no clue whats up ahead! LOL

Thank you all.....

Now how do I go about talking with my husband about this? LOL he is going to flip!:lol:

:lol: my dh did freak out. He and I were on a date and I stopped in preteen store and got some pretty beginner training bras for dd, no cups, cute little flowers & horses. He went pale and I thought he was going to faint.

He said, "I can't believe it. She's growing up?!"

:iagree: sports bra

I'm disgusted by padded bras for little kids. :001_huh:

Well, we like the padded ones for more coverage. Dd is very modest and the sports bras aren't thick enough for her. Also, a friend's dd developed unevenly, so the padded ones helped her not be so self conscious.

Along the same lines...

When my dd was about 9 we switched from undershirts to sports bras.

Fast-forward about 1 1/2 years, and I finally switched her over from the sports bras to her first "real bras". I was amazed at the transformation!

Seems the sports bras were really doing a good job of holding it all in. I commented about that to my dh, asking if he'd noticed a difference in how dd looked. His comment? "Whatever you did, put it back!!" :lol:

My dd prefers camisoles.

Last year, when dd started showing through her shirts, I got her several of the sports bras from Target. I also got some little bras from Lands' End. She liked them fine, but wouldn't always wear them. And, she would tug at them all the time because they would ride up on her.

Since then she has discovered camisoles, and wears them every day. There are some with shelf bras inside. There are many with sequins or other decorations on them. They come in lots of colors. Limited Too (now called Justice) has an entire rack dedicated to them. They're not terribly expensive. We love them. I love that dd isn't tugging at them all the time, she's covered (and warmer with an extra layer). She can also take off her outer shirt if she gets too hot.

About three months ago I stopped at a local store and picked up a variety of sports bras and training bras in soft colors for my dd (9) just to surprise her. She is the youngest in the family and just needed a boost. Her chest has just barely started to develop, but it made her feel special and a bit more grown up to have me buy them for her. My thoughts were, "What's it going to hurt anyway?" I guess I wanted to get used to the idea of her maturing just as much as I wanted to please her. It was our special little secret. :~)

It is inevitable that these girls are going to develop and need bras. My dd didn't change in any way emotionally or attitude wise after putting on a bra. I felt that being proactive in this area was wise, and she feels special and loved.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I haven't checked these past couple days b/c we have been hit with a stomach bug .... but you all have such encouraging advice....

I just mentioned it to my dh and he shot through the roof !!!! LOL oh well ... What a BOY!

When we start to feel better I will take her out for a little shopping....

Thanks again!

Kate

We do cami bras or "bralets" here. A little more feminine than a sports bra: http://www.target.com/Girls-Champion-Seamless-Cami-Bra/dp/B001F1HUEM/qid=1235761271/ We get them at Target, Kohl's, JCPenney, WalMart...

Yep, this is what Emma has, too. She actually asked for bras, and although *I* was not ready for her to wear them, I thought since she wanted them, she should have them. We got hers at Penney's. They had a whole wall of "bralets." She does pop out of her shirt a little, mostly because she's a tad overweight, but also because she's a very tall almost 9 yo. I do like it better when she wears one, but if she doesn't for some reason I don't say anything to her.