Menu

Frustrated with curriculum choices and HSing

paulcindy

We are in our 3rd year of homeschooling. I have had SO many things going on in my my life, that I feel as if we have done NOTHING. Really.

I feel like I need to re-group and start focusing on my goals for my child.

She is 10 yo. Loves, loves, loves to read. Her math skills are weak. She is just now getting to double digit multiplication. No division yet.

We have done nothing for Science and History.

We have done very little LA.

She reads very well, and she can write "okay".

I really want to challenge her. I want her to be the best she can be because she is like a sponge. I know she can do the material if I just could get the time to spend with her.

We have this year:

CLE LA 5(since September, we are only on LU 303, sad

TT Math 5

I just had her reading some fiction/non-fiction for History

Nothing for Science

Nothing for a formal writing

She is an excellent speller, and we need to do vocabulary

We usually finish by June. I am so frustrated, that we have not accomplished anything.

So, what should I do?

I feel like just giving up for the rest of the year. Uggghhh.

I need some independent work for her to do. And I would love to just be able to write on her white board, her work she needs to get done for the day.

I need to get some Science into her, vocabulary, writing, and History. I hear her friends talk from public school and I feel so behind.

It is almost like, forget it, it is to late now. AAACK.

Where would I start for History? I want to start Chronological. We tried Sonlight before, it didn't work for me at all. I was consdiering History Odyssey.

Can someone help this confused and overwhelmed lady out??:confused:

Well, first off, take a deep breath and relax. :)

Now, because you hs you are not tied to a ps calendar. It is not too late and you do not have to be "done" by the end of May. Continue on into summer doing some of the things you haven't gotten to.

If you want to do history chronologically, do SOTW! You can read the books together or let your dd read them on her own. Have her create a timeline and record events, people, inventions, etc. as she reads about them. She can do written narrations of her reading to get a start on writing. History Scribe has an inexpensive pdf file you can purchase that has historical essay questions that you could also use as a starting point for writing.

http://www.thehomeschoolshop.com/sh-essay-history.htm

They say it is for high school, but there are a few sample questions to look at that may give you a feel as far as appropriateness.

Keep plugging away with the math. As far as vocabulary goes, you could have her spend 10-15 minutes a day at http://www.freerice.com doing the vocab. section. When you get your feet under you, you can decide where to go with a vocab. study.

Ask her what she is interested in as far as science goes and explore that for a while. You can find lots of free experiments, science videos, etc. on the internet. If you would rather just buy something, look for some fun kits on topics that interest her. Check out some books from the library that go along with the topics in the kit. It doesn't have to be super formal and she will get more out of this than doing nothing. :)

Anyway, those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. It's not too late so don't give up! Just pick up and keep going. Hs'ing is a journey not a destination. Enjoy it! Think of this time as a side track and now you are heading back for main trail. :)

ETA: I reread your post and it sounds like you are really busy and have not had the time to give to hs'ing. I know this is easy for me to say, but you need to take a look at your priorities and if hs'ing is at the top then you need to make the time to devote to it and your dd. I really don't mean this to sound harsh, but successful hs'ing doesn't happen on its own. If hs'ing isn't a high priority or you just really don't have the time to give to it, then you may need to explore other options. JMHO

Edited by Deece in MN
adding some thoughts

Deep breath, in. It will be okay.

One thing I recommend is getting everything you've done so far together in a pile. I'm always surprised by the amount of work I have to file even though it feels like we've done little of nothing.

I'd also say take another few days or even the rest of the week to get organized. A schedule may be called for, or at least a check list of thing that have to be accomplished each day.

If what you have isn't working for either of you then it might be time to get something new. I don't know anything about TT or CLE. I can tell you that the Growing with Grammar that I received a couple of weeks ago looks like it is going to be something dd can do next year with very little direction. I have also gotten dd to the point with MUS that I can turn on the video and she does her workbook pages. If you want to look into things that are directed to the student those might be a way to go.

For history grab STOW and start reading. She can start a timeline and famous person reports for the people she meets while reading. For science, get dd involved. See what science topics she wants to read about. Get her reading books about her topics. Consider getting a generic science experiment book that has a lot of different types of experience.

I understand where you are coming from. You have done more than we have this past year. Some years, life is the school more than books and curriculum. The kids still learn. This is what I have decided to do for mine:

1- we school year round, anyway.

2- I am using History Odyssey Level 1 Ancients alongside the SOTW Act. Guide for my 10 yr old. I am mostly using HO's schedule plan as I like not jumping around so much. I will combine maps, etc as I see fit. We will make a timeline from the AG review cards.

3- My 12 yr old is using HO Level 2 Ancients for his history

$- I am waiting for the release of Rainbow Science The colors Yr1. In the meantime, I have my guys working through Science Dectective as a way to get those science thoughts moving.

5- For vocab, really until they finish SWO, it isn't necessary but I had 2 Sadlier Oxford Orange Level Vocabulary books on the shelf so they do 2 pages a day. All the more writing.

6- Writing, ahh, don't we all love to hate it? The younger I have going through WWE, the older is slowly doing Jump In! Seems to be working.

7- Grammar, well I chose FLL3 and FLL4. We haven't done much there consistently. The older did the first few GWG5 lessons and was totally lost.

I guess the biggest thing that has helped me is my husband. I was stressing about how far behind we are compared to my kids' age mates and he said "And why do we homeschool? So the boys' can progress at THEIR rate, not some pre determined artificial timeline."

I hope this is helpful for you if for no other reason than to know you aren't the only one who feels this way sometimes.

You have all made me feel a little less crazy:tongue_smilie: Sometimes is helps just to vent as well.

This year, school has really taken a back seat. My DH lost his job and I have been so focused on that, it has been hard to concentrate on anything else:ack2:

So, now I know that I need to make this a priority above anything.

SOTW is a very good idea. Actually we have this at our library, thank you for mentioning it.

And all the other ideas as well.

I do need to have a schedule each day and what we need to accomplish. And I think she is going to complain, but we are going to end up doing school through summer.

I know most of you do not know me very well, so thanks to all who are giving me some moral support:001_smile:

Hey there,

My daughter is 10, too. We are short of some school, but we do Classical Conversations. It's a once a week program, where she does memory work and writing and grammar. It's not perfect, but she likes it and feels like she has friends there.

If we did not participate, or if I was not a Christian (Which would probably nix this group for me if I weren't...) I would get the guide and do the parts that are mainstream. I would also purchase a cd (probably could purchase used...)

I also like the Living Memory by Andrew Campbell, but I like the cycles that CC has to offer...

Here's why, the CC group provides interaction...so that's great. But, the information gives a great foundation in History, Science, English, Math, Latin, and Geography.

My daughter loves to listen to SOTW cds and has many times since we purchased them.

I also 2nd the timeline. The VP cards that CC uses for it's timeline (160 cards) is a great source for writing out the timeline and then fleshing out different cards.

This could be independently done, if your daughter wanted to....

Anyway, she likes the CC work and it gives her a base:-)

Carrie:-)

I will have to look up CC. Do you need a microphone for a computer or anything? She might like this.

Some other things I am pondering. What about getting her caught up in writing?

SOTW, do I need the AG?(If I go with this?)

I have some things here to do Science Lapbooks, and History Lapbooks as well.

My main concern is Math, Writing, and Grammar. She does a lot of reading, but nothing with any lit guides or any of that. I should probably look into it.

Thank you so much:001_smile:

More often than not, history and science get put on the back burner at our house. Like you, life just happens. When this happens. I have my daughter watch history and science. Magic school bus videos are great for science. MY dd loves it. She would watch it over and over. There is alot of info. in them. I even learn from them.

For history we get animated hero classics from the library or whatever we can find. She also likes Liberty kids. This is not chronological but, it is better than nothing. This is what helps us when we can't get to it.

HTH!

Haven't read the other replies...

Our homeschool experience sounds similar, and I don't have a good excuse.;)

This is what has helped me this year - I make a check list for the week with every subject and the five lessons that I intend to cover that week. Because I am not perfect, I make it my priority to at least do the 3R's every day. If we can get those done, I feel better.

I've already forewarned my kids that we will continue with math and Latin this summer. We lost way too much ground taking the summer off.

Also, I've learned that my kids aren't ready to be independent learners until they are in about 7-8th grade. My 10yodd does some independent work in the morning, but for the most part we have to work together. We do a lot of our work orally to save time.

Don't beat yourself up over the past. Just start where you are and move forward. I have to remind myself that the tortoise (a little every day) won the race. I have a tendency to do the hare thing (procrastinate and then try to cram it all in).

Good luck!

Don't beat yourself up over the past. Just start where you are and move forward. I have to remind myself that the tortoise (a little every day) won the race.

This is key. I won't go into the whole horrific story, but we've had constant upheaval for six of the eight years I've homeschooled. The events of any one year would have stopped many families from homeschooling, but we've kept at it and my kids are actually above grade level on their annual testing. We have the attitude that every week day year-round is a potential day for homeschooling even if it's just the basics or a catch-up time on a particular subject. It's not something we ever completely put aside, although there are days I do have to bag it before breakfast is even served and other days that they only do math, Latin, and writing. I've found that if you stop completely too many times, you lose momentum and flounder. I truly try to do some school almost every week day of the year other than holiday periods, field trip days, co-op days, and sick days.

I think about what it would be like to take the summer off, but it's never worked that way, and we just deal with it.:tongue_smilie: This year we actually did pretty well and will have a lighter-than-usual summer, but I just can't get it all done from September to June.

Since your dh lost his job, I was trying to think of ways you could change your work dynamic with little to no cost. The simplest thing, and the one that might be very helpful to you, is to sit down and do WITH her the lessons that you meant to be done independently. 10 yo is still very young to expect everything to be done independently. It would also be therapeutic for you, because it would give you something to focus on besides the stress you feel in your life. Additionally, it would be helpful to your dd, who may be feeling the lack of input. Don't stress about this, but use your realizations as motivation to change. Little things like spending 20-30 minutes a day where you actually FOCUS on her can make a big difference to her emotionally and be helpful to her academics to boot. So I suggest you carve a time slot, that 30 minutes would do, and review her LA (that's 10 minutes), then do the TT math lesson with her (20 min?). Then she's got the ground work laid so she can work on her own for an hour or so profitably and get her stuff done.

History? SOTW would be fine or CHOW or any nice spine. The main thing is I'd spend some time, at least once a week, and read aloud to her. Again, kids need to be interacted with. You had that first together session and then her independent work. Then have another together session (20 minutes) and rotate your subjects, one day reading history together, the next day science, that sort of thing. Surely you can carve 1 hour total a day?

For science, there are so many fun options, the sky is the limit. Exploration Education is cool but pricey. Have you seen The Elements by McHenry? Price point is a bit lower and it's quite fun for this age. It might be something for you to do together. I know you're saying you want stuff that's independent, but I found with my dd this year (almost the same age) that it really backfired. I was pregnant, tired, grouchy, and the more I wanted her to be independent, the less she was. The more I put into her in little spurts, the more she was armed, refilled, and ready to go do things on her own. So I say carve more slots where you're putting into her, and the independent work will happen. That math sounds like she's going to need some people help, not just a computer. Writing skills require a person to help. Writing Tales 2 would be perfect for her, and is easy to implement. That would take a year and be a terrific foundation. From there go into IEW, which has videos and would be independent.

If you're looking for an independent vocabulary program let me recommend Vocabu-Lit. After several attempts at Wordly Wise, which neither my son nor I liked, Vocabu-Lit was recommended to me here on the boards. My son LOVES it. It is not at all teacher intensive and the vocabulary words are taken from excerpts of classic books. You can view several pages/grades at http://www.perfectionlearning.com/browse.php?categoryID=1492

Rainbow resource used to carry the elementary levels of Vocabu-Lit, but currently only have the 6th and up books available. I have a feeling that when they sell out of those that they will no longer be carrying them at all.

I am so sorry your dh lost his job. I kow personally how stressful that can be.

First, what worked for us was for my dh to make finding a job his "new" job. He devoted many hours a day to finding a job - reading want ads, sending resumes, making calls, following up, going to interviews. Because he did it that way, I didn't have to do much more than take large envelopes to the post office and mail them or buying ink for the printer on the way home from co-op. When money got low, I took in babysitting so I could still homeschool because homeschooling is our priority.

I know panic has set in but you need to remember that panic solves nothing. Your daughter has been neglected in a way (while not intentionally, you have at least neglected her educational needs) and probably has some resentment. Now, feeling your panic, she is afraid. She may need some help moving beyond the fear and upset she is feeling. And, like others have said, the best way to do that is to spend time with her.

As far as her curriculum, she is at a level where she is still learning basics and building on basics. Lots of very new material is being introduced in most subjects. This means that lots of teacher time is usually necessary. If you are serious about catching her up, you will have to invest time with/in her. There is really no easy way to get around this. If you cannot invest a few hours a day in her education (like 2-3 a day minimum), then you need to look at other options like letting her go to public school or trying to find a private school she can attend on scholarship until you have time to teach her again.

Hi everyone:001_smile:

All of you have been so helpful and supportive. Like I said, I know I am fairly new here, and I am grateful for the listening ear and all the advice. I am reading everything and then I am going to sit down and implement a plan.

When I do this, I will post another thread and ask again what all of you think.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers concerning my husband and his job loss. It has been very stressful for all of us.

Thank you again!!:lol:

The only thing I would work hard on right now is math and writing. It sounds like she's got the reading thing down, she is a natural speller, Science and History can wait (or she may be getting that on her own in her reading). Focus on getting her math up to par. I am honestly *shocked* that TT5 is doing multiple digit multiplication and no division, but I digress. My son is doing mostly 4th grade work, but I started him in Singapore 3A in the fall because of what he had and had not covered in ps the year before. Singapore 3A started with multiple digit multiplication and then moved straight to long division. He *got it* pretty quickly and we moved on through the books at his pace. He is much better in math now than he was 6 mos ago and he is almost "caught up."

Writing is still a struggle for us. The best thing to do to teach writing is to have her...write. You don't really need a formal program...just give her a topic and let her know what you expect of her (paragraph, sentence structure, etc). Over time, she will get better and better. :) If you prefer a writing curriculum, there are some great ones out there...Writing Tales and Writing with Ease are two of my favorites.

Edited by Tree House Academy

I am honestly *shocked* that TT5 is doing multiple digit multiplication and no division, but I digress.
I was surprised as well, so I looked it up. If you go to the TT website and look at the table of contents, division in that book starts about lesson 63. Double digit multiplication is around lesson 25. So, it is in the text but they have not reached it yet.

Some people think this is the age to start formal education.

You are not behind. Your dd is ready now.

What are your goals?

Write them down and then figure out what needs to be done to get there.

Today my dd said, "10 sets of 2....so 20" while she was playing a game.

We have done no formal multiplication.

Sometimes they learn from life and our interaction with them.

You might watch the chick on the analytical grammar website - awesome advice.

They sell a Jr. program JAG.

I also have looked into Hake Grammar. Serious program for older kids.

We school year round! Take time out for life learning - time with extended family.

We sometimes school in the late afternoons or on a weekend.

I try to do it 1st thing in the morning - but some days are crazy.

Start by setting aside an hour or 2 every morning.

But feel free to do stuff in the afternoon as well.

Today we worked in the morning (math and english) and then I took a nap with the baby.

This afternoon we started SOTW Ancients.

Here's a link to something I posted.

I came up with it because we needed to "get serious" (I wanted some formal structure).

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83678

and where we are now 11yo in 5th grade

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=803154#post803154

Some discussions that will ease your mind....

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79861

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80286

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80867

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you're really pressed for time, and are too stressed to do a lot of planning for every single class, so I'm going to suggest BJU HomeSat DVDs. You choose a grade level, pay one price, and BJU sends you everything you need for the entire school year. The only things you might want to add to your order are the tests and test answer keys for the subjects that don't already include them.

If your dd is working at a higher or lower level for a few classes, BJU allows you to substitute 2 courses for different grade levels. As an example, you could choose the 5th grade program with 6th grade English and 4th grade Math.

BJU offers a lot of motel meetings, where you can speak with a representative and look at the books and DVDs for each grade. There are also samples of the DVD lessons online, so you and your dd can see if they might work for you.

BJU's programs aren't cheap, but by the time you buy several resources for every school subject, you may find that you've spent a lot more than you realized -- and you won't have the DVD teachers to teach the lessons for you, which can be such a blessing when you're short on time. You get the teacher's manuals in your kit, but most of mine are still shrinkwrapped because the DVD teachers are so thorough; yo really don't have to do much "teaching" if you don't have the time.

Abeka offers a similar program, but we haven't used it, so I can't comment on the day-to-day aspects of it. The Abeka DVDs are structured differently from the BJU program, so you may want to look at samples of each before making a decision.

Of course, the DVD option may not be right for your family, but if you're worried that your dd isn't getting all of her subjects, it could be a convenient way to put your mind at ease.

Good luck -- and don't beat yourself up over this! Your dd will catch up, and everything will be fine.

Cat

She's only 10 and public school crams a lot of things into those little minds, but that doesn't mean they actually remember any of it a few weeks later. :)

You said, she loves reading and she spells well, well that's half the battle right there. If she is contantly reading, she is picking up new vocabulary words all time. So don't worry about starting up a vocabulary program or a spelling program this school year.

If her reading skills are up to par, then the only real issue here was her math skills being weak. Work on those and start fresh next year with your plan.

SOTW is a wonderful way to do world history on a chronlogical level without being overwhelmed. You can keep it simple, or add extra books and make it even more interesting. Don't worry about grade levels. My now 8th grader started the SOTW series last year and is now actually interested in history.

We all have a year or so that we feel like this. For me it was my daughter's seventh grade year. We were moving and barely did school and I thought I ruined her for life...:) Not so, she bounced back fine the following year as if her one bad year never happened.

Good Luck,

Dee

This might have been suggested already but I would take a couple of days and think. breathe. plan.

Clarify and write down your vision for your kids education.

Clarify and write down your mission for your kids education.

Clarify and write down your goals for your kids education.

Make it simple and doable.

Imho no-fails are the following:

IEW- get SWI A.

SOTW CD's

Magic School Bus videos, books. "Exploring" series by Tiner.

Get math facts CD's and play them every morning.

Utilize books on tape and everything else on CD you can get.

For Literature, have you looked at First Language Lessons or Rod & Staff? The First Language Lessons level 3 is great for teaching sentence structure. There's a teacher manual and a workbook. You kind of need the teacher manual and it helps to work alongside your daughter until she gets the hang of it. The Rod & Staff books are good too. I don't think you really need the teacher manual with this one. My daughter liked the FLL workbook better because it was a workbook. And she wasn't ready to do a lot of writing.

Rod & Staff is a textbook and you write your answers in a notebook. So you can't just circle the right or wrong answer. You have to write the sentence correctly. My daughter wasn't ready to do much writing (that's not her strong point) There is a lot of writing and copying etc.

Rod & Staff goes into more grammar than FLL, I think. Where FLL focuses on diagramming and sentence structure, R&S does some work with dictionary as well as pronouns, adjectives, adverbs etc. I think you'd be able to let her work independently with R&S.

We started into R&S level 3 "Beginning Wisely." My daughter was beginning 3rd grade and, like I said, the writing was too much for her. But I am thinking about going back to it now that she's in 4th grade and has improved in her writing.

hope that helps.

Amy

My suggestions:

Rod & Staff English

Math-u-see, is awesome! I always HATED math. I was hsed and did

Abeka, BJ, and Saxon. None of them worked for me. I have a daughter that is very much like me and she is doing great in math, with MUS. Also, I am finally understanding some of it now.

Have you concidered Sonlight for History and Science? If your dd loves to read SL is basically a bunch of great books that she can read. We just finished Core K, we're taking a break right now, since we do year around school (it's too soon to start Core 1 for us). We love SL. Buy used (on this forum), and you can get great deals. You can also use the library. I'd start her in Core 1 or 2 (don't go by grade level).

Hope you find what works for your dd :).

...I feel as if we have done NOTHING. Really....I am so frustrated, that we have not accomplished anything. So, what should I do? I feel like just giving up for the rest of the year....It is almost like, forget it, it is to late now. AAACK.

IMO, no way should you give up now. No way.

If you wrote that you had accomplished a huge amount, have had a great year, worked really hard, and wondered if you could stop now, I'd say, "Sure, why not."

But in this situation, I (kindly) recommend that you make a minimalist, possible-to-do schedule, maybe just the three subjects you feel are most important, and do ONE THING in each of those subjects every day between now and whenever you end your school year.

And that doesn't need to be June. I don't see any reason you couldn't continue straight through the summer to catch up a bit (except, of course, taking time off for vacation or camp or whatever activities your children normally do in the summer. These are important too. But school is also important.)

I don't mean for this to sound harsh. Make it simple and do it.

Edited by Cindyg

For independent work, we have used:

Vocabulary Vine to teach Latin and Greek roots for vocabulary this year http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latin.htm

Growing with Grammar

Also, for American history, Story of the USA http://www.epsbooks.com/dynamic/catalog/series.asp?seriesonly=1631M to beef up and review American history this year. She does it independently except for the discussion questions, which I have liked so far (we are just moving into book 2). We're doing this along with SOTW and other things, but if you feel she is not where you want her to be in history, it may be a place to start. It would work well with the list of books for Core 3 and 4 from Sonlight (which is where I saw these workbooks originally). We are doing some of these books as audiobooks in the car---we have Witch of Blackbird Pond in right now. She doesn't need to do all of them, but it's a good list to use as a basis. Their catalog identifies which of the books are very Christian-specific in orientation (from what I can tell those whose primary goal is evangelization rather than just the character's religious views being part of the story), but the website doesn't seem to do so.

Core 3 advanced readers

http://www.sonlight.com/3CX5.html

Core 4

http://www.sonlight.com/4C5.html

Not independent, but takes very little time for a good speller---Spelling Power. Take a look at http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SPmenu.htm for some ideas of how to implement.