Menu

I can get a dog!

Okay, I know this is probably no big deal to many of you. But I've been wanting a dog for at least six or seven years and keep encountering obstacles. Over the years, we've adopted two guinea pigs (which are very sweet, but not dogs) and two cats (one of which likes me as much as she likes anyone who isn't my husband and the other of which just hates me).

But I have consistently, really, really wanted a dog.

Yesterday, my husband told me he had gotten permission from our landlord to get one.

Now, there are restrictions. The dog he actually got approved was very tiny, expected to be less than 10 pounds fully grown. Unfortunately for me (although it's good news for her, I'm sure), that particular puppy apparently got adopted before we got permission. So, I can look for another puppy, but it will have to be of comparable size.

Also, we do have two cats. So, it will have to get along with them. I think our best bet for that would be to find someone pretty young.

And I have a 10-year-old son, so it can't be uncomfortable with kids.

And, on a purely personal and probably shallow note, I want something fluffy.

So, I have my work cut out for me finding the right dog, and I'm going to have to work hard to be patient until he or she turns up.

But I'm so excited! I get a dog!

Okay, I know this is probably no big deal to many of you. But I've been wanting a dog for at least six or seven years and keep encountering obstacles. Over the years, we've adopted two guinea pigs (which are very sweet, but not dogs) and two cats (one of which likes me as much as she likes anyone who isn't my husband and the other of which just hates me).

But I have consistently, really, really wanted a dog.

Yesterday, my husband told me he had gotten permission from our landlord to get one.

Now, there are restrictions. The dog he actually got approved was very tiny, expected to be less than 10 pounds fully grown. Unfortunately for me (although it's good news for her, I'm sure), that particular puppy apparently got adopted before we got permission. So, I can look for another puppy, but it will have to be of comparable size.

Also, we do have two cats. So, it will have to get along with them. I think our best bet for that would be to find someone pretty young.

And I have a 10-year-old son, so it can't be uncomfortable with kids.

And, on a purely personal and probably shallow note, I want something fluffy.

So, I have my work cut out for me finding the right dog, and I'm going to have to work hard to be patient until he or she turns up.

But I'm so excited! I get a dog!

Oh, I hope you find the right dog quickly. I'm so happy for you!

Good luck.

You actually have many choices with that size and fluffiness.:)

Maltese

Shi Tzu

Pekinese

Mixes

Some terriers(depending on fluff)

These are jsut some of them.

Good luck and have fun.

Also, an older dog from the shleter might be fine with the cats as well. You would probaly have more of an issue with the cats liking the dog then the other way around.

Could you get a dog a little bigger? Super small dogs always seem so fragile. In fact, my mom's chihuahua broke her femur in 3 places 2 days ago jumping from her arms unexpectedly. Costs $2500 to fix and my mom is laid off.

Nope. I agree, and would not go quite so small if I had my choice. But that is what the landlord approved.

That's good news! You know, generally I'm not a fan of little dogs, but a friend of mine has chihuahuas, and they're pretty cool. She has two chihuahua puppies right now, and they are just ridiculously adorable.

I always encourage people to adopt from shelters. Good luck!

Maybe someday I'll be able to talk my dh into letting me get a cat. We have two rabbits that I love, but they're not cats.

Wendi

I totally understand. We just adopted a dog in November of last year. It's exactly what you described. He is a little male Pomeranian, about 1 1/2 yers old. Very, very fluffy, gets along great with our cat (Garfield #2) and only weighs about 4 lbs, 8 oz. My ds is 9 and he just loves this dog. We used to have two dogs before (both of them died) - but never, ever did my son have such a bonding with a dog. It's just THE perfect companion for our family. BTW, the dog's namy is FLUFFY :lol:

I hope you'll find a dog soon. I am just so happy for all of you.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

is my favorite of all 7 of our dogs and she is just fine with kids. My niece has her brother from another litter and he lives with a 5yo with no problems.

A toy poodle would be a consideration. A yorkie is a good choice. We have a yorkie/pom mix who is a WONDERFUL little dog that weighs about 6 pounds. We have chihuahuas too and ours are good with kids (if you get them as puppies they easilly adapt to children, especially older ones). The long-haired variety resembles a papillion and is a very cute dog.

My sister has an affenpinscher that is a fabulous dog - weighs about 8-9 pounds. She is SO loving and affectionate, but playful too.

There are lots of great toy dogs to pick from. Enjoy!!

Okay, after two solid days on Petfinder.com, AdoptAPet.com and Dogster.com (as well as every other website I could think of), I think I have agreed to adopt a puppy. She's a pomeranian/poodle mix.

She's not ready to come home yet, though, because she's still waiting on her second set of puppy shots. And she's about a seven-hour drive from here. That's not as crazy as it sounds, because the rescue organization is right on my way from here to my daughter's campus. And, conveniently, I have to be on the road taking my daughter back to school the weekend after the puppy will be ready to come home.

I have exchanged several e-mails with the person fostering the puppies. The adoption fee is reasonable, and she has asked for nothing until I get there.

I won't really believe it until I have the puppy in my arms--I see all too many ways in which this could fall through--but I'm hopeful and excited.

Wish me luck!

Okay, after two solid days on Petfinder.com, AdoptAPet.com and Dogster.com (as well as every other website I could think of), I think I have agreed to adopt a puppy. She's a pomeranian/poodle mix.

She's not ready to come home yet, though, because she's still waiting on her second set of puppy shots. And she's about a seven-hour drive from here. That's not as crazy as it sounds, because the rescue organization is right on my way from here to my daughter's campus. And, conveniently, I have to be on the road taking my daughter back to school the weekend after the puppy will be ready to come home.

I have exchanged several e-mails with the person fostering the puppies. The adoption fee is reasonable, and she has asked for nothing until I get there.

I won't really believe it until I have the puppy in my arms--I see all too many ways in which this could fall through--but I'm hopeful and excited.

Wish me luck!

So, when will the puppy be home? She sounds cute. Do you have a name in mind?

So, when will the puppy be home? She sounds cute. Do you have a name in mind?

Assuming all goes as planned, I'll be picking her up the first week in March.

I've been starting to think about names, but haven't felt inspired yet. I guess I also worry about jinxing the whole thing if I get too confident.

I'm thinking I want something literary, name-wise. She'll be tiny, and (at least for the moment) her coat appears to be a light tan color.

I'm so excited for you! It took me awhile to convince my DH to get another dog after we had to put our pug down in 2006. But we've now had our shelter terrier/beagle mix for 4 mos and can't imagine life without him! He's around 17 lbs and gets along fine with our two cats. They did hiss at him for a couple days though!Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you following my great dog saga, I thought I'd post an update.

I picked up the puppy this past Saturday on the trip taking my daughter back to school. We realized not that long ago that all of our pets are named after other types of animals (guinea pig named after a dog, cat named after a pig, cat named after a bird). So, we named the new arrival Matilda, after the cat who lives at the Algonquin hotel.

She's beyond adorable and just about as sweet as can be. She's well on the way to housetrained already and is really good about riding in the car. She's working hard to make friends with the one cat who will have anything to do with her. And she and my son are getting along really well. Even my husband, the non-dog person, has to admit she's great.

I'll attach a photo of her (with my daughter's feet, for scale) in front of my daughter's dorm.

The only problem we're having so far is that she just hates being left alone. I put her in the crate long enough to go take a shower yesterday, and she was nearly frantic by the time I came back. So, that's something we'll have to work on. I know it'll be a process, though.

Anyway, she's here. She's wonderful. I'm happy.

For those of you following my great dog saga, I thought I'd post an update.

I picked up the puppy this past Saturday on the trip taking my daughter back to school. We realized not that long ago that all of our pets are named after other types of animals (guinea pig named after a dog, cat named after a pig, cat named after a bird). So, we named the new arrival Matilda, after the cat who lives at the Algonquin hotel.

She's beyond adorable and just about as sweet as can be. She's well on the way to housetrained already and is really good about riding in the car. She's working hard to make friends with the one cat who will have anything to do with her. And she and my son are getting along really well. Even my husband, the non-dog person, has to admit she's great.

I'll attach a photo of her (with my daughter's feet, for scale) in front of my daughter's dorm.

The only problem we're having so far is that she just hates being left alone. I put her in the crate long enough to go take a shower yesterday, and she was nearly frantic by the time I came back. So, that's something we'll have to work on. I know it'll be a process, though.

Anyway, she's here. She's wonderful. I'm happy.

Oh my, she is ADORABLE!!!! A little ball of fluff. I want one!

Also I love your daughters shoes. They are beautiful.

Wow...my cat is bigger than 10 pounds fully grown. EEK. That is going to be one tiny little doggie.

Yep, both of our cats are bigger than she is currently. And one of them is probably 150% of what the puppy will ever weigh. As I said elsewhere, left to my own devices I would have gone for a bigger dog. But this is what my landlord allowed. And I'm just so grateful to be able to have her!

Also I love your daughters shoes. They are beautiful.

The funny thing is that those were MY shoes. I bought them around the holidays when my daughter was picking on me about my frumpy style. I wore them twice and found them very uncomfortable (no support). She borrowed them while she was home on spring break and decided to take them back to school with her. I'm sure she'll get more use out of them than I would have.