Menu

Please read my post and *then* vote for one of these Valentine desserts...

Read my post and *then* vote for your choice of Valentine's Day dessert...  

1. 1. Read my post and *then* vote for your choice of Valentine's Day dessert...

• Creme Brulee
    • Flourless Chocolate Cake
    • Sweetheart Petit Four Cake
    • Caramel Apple Cheesecake

Wow, this brings me back.....I used to be a pastry chef. As I recall, the flourless chocolate cake and the creme brulee would probably be the two big sellers.

If you don't mind my asking, how many nights/ days do you work? And are you the pastry chef, assistant or other? AND finally...how does all this work out with your homeschooling?

Creme Brulee and the flourless chocolate cake are always best-sellers.

I only work about 10 hours per week, since it is a tiny restaurant in a tiny town. I have the job of the pastry chef, but since my education has been through non-traditional means (no culinary school), I don't call myself a pastry chef. In fact, I never really know what to call myself.

I do some of my work at home, and some of my work at the restaurant, mostly because I have extensive equipment at home that they do not have in the restaurant kitchen.

When the restaurant originally opened up a few years ago, the owners had heard about my desserts around town (I was making specialty desserts on a freelance basis), and asked me if I would work for them. They were willing to allow me complete freedom in terms of what I made for them and when I would make it, so it worked with my homeschooling in a way that most jobs would not.

About 6 months ago, the restaurant was sold. The new owner of the restaurant has been my best friend for many years. I was making specialty cakes & desserts and assisting her with catering jobs long before the restaurant came into either of our lives. She's also very happy to give me complete freedom to make whatever I think sounds wonderful, and if I'm a bit busy she's willing to fill in the gaps (though I've always been able to work in whatever they need).

I consider myself very blessed to have the jobs I do, though I occasionally end up pushing myself very hard to fulfill all of my responsibilities. I'm a homeschooling mom of 5 dc, a part-time pastry un-chef :D, and I work about 3 hours a week doing the job of church secretary for our tiny little church.

I'm stretched a little bit too thin. Really though, which of my wonderful jobs would I drop?? :001_smile:

Creme brulee for both of us....actually the whole family would order it. It's probably the one type of dessert that I have never attempted to make even though the recipes appear do-able.....but it's a traditional dessert for the rare occasions when we eat out.

That said....if by any chance you share recipes....that cheesecake sound very intriguing, lol.

Out of curiosity, what restaurant is this? We go to Southern California a couple times a year, and if it's nearby that would be cool to stop in and say hi!

Julie, I voted creme brulee--I can't ever resist it if I think that the chef in question is going to get that sugar caramelized just right! :001_smile:

I'm constantly reminding the kitchen staff that it must be *just right*. "Close" to just right just isn't good enough! Then I remind the servers that it's really their job to insure that it doesn't go out unless it's perfect. They are probably glad that I'm only there part time. :001_smile:

I would definitely go for the chocolate. Dh would want something fruity, if anything at all. He doesn't think of dessert as a necessary component of a meal, even when eating out on a holiday, whereas I definitely do. He doesn't like cheesecake, though. If you had some sort of apple pastry/pie/tart, he would love that.

• 2 weeks later...
What did you end up making? How many did you serve?

Did you give the raspberry as an option on the chocolate cake?

Well, in spite of how the poll here turned out, the real results were skewed a bit. I did end up making the desserts I listed before:

Creme Brulee

Flourless Chocolate Cake covered with chocolate ganache and served with chocolate curls (raspberry sauce optional on the side).

Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes layered with buttercream, raspberry filling, and served on a mirror of raspberry sauce.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

What's interesting is that all of the desserts sold relatively evenly. There were a few menu description glitches, and I think that was probably what skewed the ordering--the flourless chocolate cake was listed as "bittersweet" chocolate, which it wasn't. It was a nice middle-of-the-road semisweet, and I think if listed as such it probably would have had broader appeal. The petit four cake description left out the raspberry, instead listing it as white cake with a touch of buttercream, and covered with white chocolate ganache.

I think at the last minute they had trouble getting the menu inserts done in time, and just plain made mistakes. It's okay, but now we'll have quite a bit of extra flourless chocolate cake, and I haven't checked to see if the quality suffers if you put it in the freezer. Everything else had close to the correct quantity.

Thanks for asking! :)

p.s. I'll share recipes for everything except the Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes, (should anyone want recipes). I'll share that one too, it's just a big, long, time-consuming dessert to make, and I don't think it's really practical for most folks to make.

Well, in spite of how the poll here turned out, the real results were skewed a bit. I did end up making the desserts I listed before:

Creme Brulee

Flourless Chocolate Cake covered with chocolate ganache and served with chocolate curls (raspberry sauce optional on the side).

Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes layered with buttercream, raspberry filling, and served on a mirror of raspberry sauce.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

What's interesting is that all of the desserts sold relatively evenly. There were a few menu description glitches, and I think that was probably what skewed the ordering--the flourless chocolate cake was listed as "bittersweet" chocolate, which it wasn't. It was a nice middle-of-the-road semisweet, and I think if listed as such it probably would have had broader appeal. The petit four cake description left out the raspberry, instead listing it as white cake with a touch of buttercream, and covered with white chocolate ganache.

I think at the last minute they had trouble getting the menu inserts done in time, and just plain made mistakes. It's okay, but now we'll have quite a bit of extra flourless chocolate cake, and I haven't checked to see if the quality suffers if you put it in the freezer. Everything else had close to the correct quantity.

Thanks for asking! :)

p.s. I'll share recipes for everything except the Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes, (should anyone want recipes). I'll share that one too, it's just a big, long, time-consuming dessert to make, and I don't think it's really practical for most folks to make.

Glad to hear everything went well. I would love for you to share the recipe for the flourless chocolate cake.

It's okay, but now we'll have quite a bit of extra flourless chocolate cake, and I haven't checked to see if the quality suffers if you put it in the freezer.

I think the quality will suffer less if you pack it up and ship it to NJ. And frankly, isn't that what really matters?!

:lol:

I'll share recipes for everything except the Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes, (should anyone want recipes). I'll share that one too, it's just a big, long, time-consuming dessert to make, and I don't think it's really practical for most folks to make.

I'd love the chocolate cake recipe, please, and thank you for offering! I'm sorry there were mistakes made (how frustrating!) but it sounds like it all went well regardless. If I'm ever in your part of CA, your restaurant is going to be one of my first stops!

After trying about 3 different recipes, I settled on this one. I think it's a Mrs. Field's recipe, but I'm not typing it in verbatim, just telling you what *I* did.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 400* and place a pan of water on the bottom rack.

Spray an 8 1/2" springform pan with Pam and set it aside.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt together:

20 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (chips are fine)

2 1/2 sticks (10 oz.) unsalted butter

After melted & stirred smooth (appx 3 mins), add 1 1/2 teaspoons each vanilla & Kahlua. You can do all vanilla if you don't have Kahlua, but it adds a lot of complexity to the flavor.

Set aside.

In the top of a double-boiler (or in a heat-safe bowl placed over a pan with an inch of boiling water) beat 6 eggs, beating over heat until eggs feel warm to the touch, but aren't at all cooking/scrambled, kwim? Appx. 3-4 minutes.

Remove the eggs from the heat, and beat on high with an electric mixer until the eggs are fluffy & tripled in volume.

Add half of the eggs to the chocolate mixture, and then gently fold in the remaining eggs. Do not over-mix.

Immediately pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 18 minutes on the rack above the pan of water.

As the cake bakes, heat 2/3 cup cream and 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl until melted and stir smooth. Chill in fridge while cake bakes and cools, to speed thickening.

Cool the cake to room temperature, remove the springform pan sides.

and spread with chocolate ganache.

Serve with whipped cream and (optional) raspberry sauce.

In order to make nice, clean-looking servings, rinse knife under hot water and wipe with a towel in between each cut.

Raspberry Sauce (optional!)

Thaw two 12-oz pkg unsweetened frozen raspberries and press through a sieve to obtain all of the juice.

Heat the juice, adding 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons orange juice, simmering until reduced to about 1/2 cup.

Don't be scared to try this one--I was unsure about warming the eggs over the double boiler, but it was fine, just keep the heat low and keep stirring. This recipe is also not-picky about doneness. Just bake it for 18 minutes and take it out. It'll look a bit jiggly, but will set up just fine. Slightly undercooked is probably better than slightly overcooked with this recipe.

Do you make ice cream for the restaurant?

That is one thing that I loved to do with leftover flourless choc. cake, cookies, etc. was cut them into small pieces and stir into ice cream. Great way to use leftovers!

I like the kahlua in your recipe! Yum.

I always made this flourless chocolate cake from David Lebovitz. It was always a huge seller at our restaurant! I never did freeze it then try to serve it again, but I did churn it into ice cream quite often! Sometimes, at the end of a night, I would just put the leftover cake up for the wait staff to eat. (made me very popular!)

Spray an 8 1/2" springform pan with Pam and set it aside.

This sounds absolutely delicious. I would love to make this but I don't own a springform pan. I have an angel food pan, glass and metal pie pans, metal or glass brownie pans (square or rectangle shape). Can I make any of these work? I realize it won't be as pretty but it just for me (and maybe my kids if I decide to share) so looks aren't so important. Thanks.

This sounds absolutely delicious. I would love to make this but I don't own a springform pan. I have an angel food pan, glass and metal pie pans, metal or glass brownie pans (square or rectangle shape). Can I make any of these work? I realize it won't be as pretty but it just for me (and maybe my kids if I decide to share) so looks aren't so important. Thanks.

Do you have any parchment paper? You can cut parchment paper to fit inside the bottom of a regular round or square cake pan, spray it well, and then after your cake has cooled run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out onto a plate. It may get some cracks, but either way it'll taste great!

If you don't have parchment, you *might* be able to do the same thing with a bit of aluminum foil. I've never tried, but it might work. Again, grease the pan, line it with foil, and then spray the foil.

Do you make ice cream for the restaurant?

That is one thing that I loved to do with leftover flourless choc. cake, cookies, etc. was cut them into small pieces and stir into ice cream. Great way to use leftovers!

I like the kahlua in your recipe! Yum.

I always made this flourless chocolate cake from David Lebovitz. It was always a huge seller at our restaurant! I never did freeze it then try to serve it again, but I did churn it into ice cream quite often! Sometimes, at the end of a night, I would just put the leftover cake up for the wait staff to eat. (made me very popular!)

Actually, I don't do ice cream for the restaurant, mostly because I just don't have equipment to do it effectively. I do make small serving desserts in shot glasses, and often incorporate extra "chunks" of leftovers into them. Often I do various mousses or sabayons that take many different flavors/combinations. Right now I'm making Key Lime shots, and Turtle Brownie shots. I'm pretty sure the flourless chocolate cake could be used effectively that way, though I will probably still give the freezer a test drive. Some of the unlikeliest desserts freeze exceptionally well. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom I had when I found that frozen Creme Brulee is indistinguishable from freshly made. Really. I promise that you'd never know it was made ahead.

Actually, I don't do ice cream for the restaurant, mostly because I just don't have equipment to do it effectively. I do make small serving desserts in shot glasses, and often incorporate extra "chunks" of leftovers into them. Often I do various mousses or sabayons that take many different flavors/combinations. Right now I'm making Key Lime shots, and Turtle Brownie shots. I'm pretty sure the flourless chocolate cake could be used effectively that way, though I will probably still give the freezer a test drive. Some of the unlikeliest desserts freeze exceptionally well. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom I had when I found that frozen Creme Brulee is indistinguishable from freshly made. Really. I promise that you'd never know it was made ahead.

mmm, the shots sound great! I am trying to diet right now, but the key lime shot might do me in. :lol: Actually, I would love the recipe for that but I probably should just put it out of my mind. :banghead:

I know what you mean about freezing stuff and the freedom, that is the best. I'm sure your right, I could NEVER tell the difference between frozen cb and fresh. I never did try to freeze C.B. but if it was on my menu, I would make a big batch at the beginning of the week and keep the base in quart containers and pour into molds and bake off every couple of days. Freezing them would have been easier but the restaurant I worked for didn't have enough CB ramekins for that. :001_huh: so I could only make about a dozen at a time. If I ever go back maybe I'll head to ikea and gift them with more ramekins! :tongue_smilie:

Now that I think back, some of my favorite desserts to make could be frozen: chocolate ooze cake (better frozen, woohoo!), walnut/maple waffles (served with ice cream), bread pudding -chocolate bp, hazelnut bp, grand marnier bp - etc froze surprisingly well (chef wanted me to use the leftover bread.. so bp , and charlottes :lol:), turnovers.

Wow, I guess I'm dreaming about food and desserts. I hate dieting but I love your dessert threads! :thumbup:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Do you have any parchment paper? You can cut parchment paper to fit inside the bottom of a regular round or square cake pan, spray it well, and then after your cake has cooled run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out onto a plate. It may get some cracks, but either way it'll taste great!

If you don't have parchment, you *might* be able to do the same thing with a bit of aluminum foil. I've never tried, but it might work. Again, grease the pan, line it with foil, and then spray the foil.

Yes I have parchment paper. I'll have to bake it in a square cake/brownie pan because I don't have any round ones(I have a small kitchen so I have to be very selective on what things I keep around). If I can get to the store and get some more eggs I will be making this on Saturday. I've been promising my daughter a "girl party" and we would have chocolate cake and tea and NO BOYS. Since the boys will be gone Saturday this sounds perfect. Thanks for getting back to me.

I would love the recipe for the creme brulee. Thank you.

What a fun job (oh, I know it's a LOT of work, but making something that people will love just sounds so satisfying!).

My job *is* fun! It's just about the perfect job for me.

So.....the Creme Brulee recipe.....

I'm glad to give it to you, and it's really very easy, but it's definitely not for the faint-hearted in terms of health. Here goes:

CREME BRULEE (appx. 6-7 servings)

Ingredients:

4 cups heavy cream

1 tablespoon vanilla

shake of salt

8 egg yolks

appx. 1/2 cup brown sugar (for topping when you're ready to serve)

Preheat oven to 300*

Place oven-safe ramekins (probably about 6-7, depending on the size of your ramekins) in a roasting pan, and then pour water into the pan until the water level is halfway up the outside of the ramekins. Be sure not to splash water *in* the ramekins. Set that aside for a minute.

In a saucepan on the stove, heat 4 cups of heavy cream with 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and give it one small shake of salt. Heat just until it's steaming, and bubbles are just starting to rise on the edges, then turn off the heat.

In a med. bowl, mix 8 egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar till combined and relatively smooth.

Take a ladle of the hot cream, and drizzle it slowly into the egg mixture, whisking briskly to combine. Do the same thing for a second ladle of cream, whisking it in gradually.

Now take your bowl of eggs/cream, and whisk it into the hot cream in your pan.

Hold a strainer over a ramekin, and ladle the hot cream mixture into each ramekin. Don't fill the ramekins so full that they'll spill over when you carry the pan to the oven.

When the ramekins are all full, carefully place the roaster into the preheated oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. When you take them out, they will still be jiggly. Don't worry about it, it will solidify as it cools. Allow to cool until you can safely remove the ramekins from the water bath. The easiest way is usually to slide a spatula under the ramekin and lift it out. Chill the ramekins thoroughly. At this point, they can be put in the freezer or fridge for later use, just cover them each with plastic wrap and make sure it's secure. To use them later, just take them out of the freezer early in the day and let them thaw, then follow the process for the sugar on top.

When you're ready to serve the creme brulee, top each one with about a tablespoon of brown sugar and spread it around a little with your finger. Put them on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until the sugar looks melted and shiny, and starts to get a little bubbly. Watch it closely because it can go from just right to burnt very quickly if you're not on top of it. Remove from the broiler, and serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours.

Some people like to use white sugar for the top, but I really prefer the brown sugar. Because of it's higher moisture content, it melts/caramelizes much more easily than white sugar, and I think the brown sugar adds a really nice flavor to the dessert.

This is an easy, elegant dessert, very convenient to make ahead.

Bon appetit!