Menu

Anybody in AZ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, cool to see so many classical homeschoolers in the East Valley (and in other parts of the state, too!) We're in Tempe. There's a chance we might be moving out to Queen Creek some time this year.

Are any of you part of any homeschool groups? I'm about decided on enrolling DD at Eagleridge in the fall, but I'd like to get involved with a regular HS group, too. Right now we only know one other homeschool family IRL. They're unschoolers. Fun to be around, but limited common ground for HS'ing discussions.

Hi, cool to see so many classical homeschoolers in the East Valley (and in other parts of the state, too!) We're in Tempe. There's a chance we might be moving out to Queen Creek some time this year.

Are any of you part of any homeschool groups? I'm about decided on enrolling DD at Eagleridge in the fall, but I'd like to get involved with a regular HS group, too. Right now we only know one other homeschool family IRL. They're unschoolers. Fun to be around, but limited common ground for HS'ing discussions.

There are a ton of homeschool groups in the Phx area. How old are your kids? Do you have a religious affiliation? I might be able to help direct you toward a group or 2.

• 3 weeks later...

Regulation wise AZ is very easy. You fill out one form (per child) that has things like birthdate and address, no curriculum or stuff like that. You mail it in with either the original birth certificate (Maricopa county) or a copy (most everywhere else). And then you are done, forever. Unless you move... then you need to fill out the form and mail it in again.

There are lots of homeschoolers in AZ. It seems that most are religious of some sort so there are many many groups.

The whole area shuts down in the summer. It is too hot to do anything outside. So summer is a hard time to meet people, but after the heat breaks in the fall it is wonderful.

Arizona is a great place to be. Except when it is 110!

We are seriously consdering a move to AZ. We are wondering what the homeschool climate is like in AZ? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you.

ClassicMom

Jenne pretty much summed it up; it is very easy to homeschool here because other than that one-time form, you do *nothing*.

There are so many homeschool groups in the Phoenix area--just depends on where you live and what you believe. There are groups that do NOT have anything to do with religion--they welcome anyone, religious or no. It works well--kind of a live and let live philosophy. On the other hand, if you are a Christian and want a group that centers around your beliefs, you'll find many groups to choose from.

Lots of field trip possibilities, lots of theaters and museums, lots of homeschool classes and support. Here is a website that might give you some ideas:

http://www.homeschoolresourcecenter.org/

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest janainaz

I don't post very often, but I do read. I'm in Avondale, AZ (west valley). I have an 8yr old son and 3.5yr old son. Anyone know of any good groups over here? It seems all the fun stuff is happening over in the east valley.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi everyone!

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully some of you are still around :)

We'll be moving to Phoenix in August and I have a ton of questions. If anyone has realtor or mortgage lender recommendations, we'd greatly appreciate them.

We're going to be in the area at some point in July for a few weeks to do house-hunting. Any suggestions on areas would be great. We need some great homeschool groups, too.

And if anyone in the metro area has a daughter around the age of 8, my 8 yr old is very scared and nervous about the move and would love to correspond with someone before we move, and possibly meet up when we are out there.

Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Amy

Guest janainaz

I live in Avondale, AZ (west-side) and I have an excellent realtor. We bought a house last year and live around the corner from him. Not sure what area you are interested in, but there are a lot more homeschool groups/activities on the east side of town. There are still groups on the west-side, it just depends what type of group you are looking for. There are also a lot of nice, new areas around Phoenix -it's a great place to live. Are you considering either side of town? What are your needs?

I live in Avondale, AZ (west-side) and I have an excellent realtor. We bought a house last year and live around the corner from him. Not sure what area you are interested in, but there are a lot more homeschool groups/activities on the east side of town. There are still groups on the west-side, it just depends what type of group you are looking for. There are also a lot of nice, new areas around Phoenix -it's a great place to live. Are you considering either side of town? What are your needs?

Hi Jana, thanks for the reply! I honestly don't know where to live (one of the great stresses I'm dealing with!). My dh can telecommute, but we want to be within a somewhat reasonable distance for commuting in case he ever loses his job or decides to move on. We were thinking East valley, but I'm not sure if we can find nice houses in our price range (under $200k, around 2000 sqft). We just want a quiet area not on a busy street. Oh, and dd wants a pool :)

As far as hs groups, we are secular and classical. Just as long as there is a welcoming group with some girls dd's age, we'll be ecstatic. There's just tons of boys here in the Milwaukee area :)

Thank you!

5WolfCubs lives in the East Valley and is by far the most wonderful person I know in the Valley. Her dd's are precious! If you can connect with her she is quite far out east yet it will be worth getting to know her. :)

Thank you! If you don't think she'll mind, I will PM her.

• 2 months later...

Ok, it's definite, we're moving to the Phoenix area in 2 weeks! We'll actually be in Laveen, so if anyone wants to share any great groups in the Phoenix area (we're willing to travel) or any resources like doctors, piano lessons, etc. please pm me.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Amy

• 7 months later...

We live in beautiful Tucson. As we are celebrating spring, we went rock climbing today at Gates-Pass. Beautiful day, temperature was about 70. Dd and her friend had a blast. Days like today make me remember why I moved here. We also had an invitation to go skiing up Mt. Lemmon, just about ninety minutes away. Standing in our t-shirts and shorts, we can look up and see the snow cap mountains. However, summers are brutal.

Forevergrace

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm new to Homeschooling this year and live in Ahwatukee. We are secular and will be using a variety of curriculum classical/Charlotte Mason driven. My children are Dd9 and Ds6. The kids will attend Eagleridge on Wednesdays, but I am searching for a co-op or group. The Summitview link and email do not work...can anyone help me connect with someone in that group?

Thank you,

Val

I'm new to Homeschooling this year and live in Ahwatukee. We are secular and will be using a variety of curriculum classical/Charlotte Mason driven. My children are Dd9 and Ds6. The kids will attend Eagleridge on Wednesdays, but I am searching for a co-op or group. The Summitview link and email do not work...can anyone help me connect with someone in that group?

Thank you,

Val

Hi Val,

We're just over the mountain in Laveen :) I also have a 9 yr old dd. We don't belong to Summitview, but we do have go to Learning Expedition's park days occasionally.

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to meet up sometime or want more info on LE.

http://www.summitviewhomeschoolers.com/

The original one is in the East Valley, but I think there are 2 other smaller groups: West Valley, and North Valley as well.

We were one of the original families in the group back in 1999, but dropped out a few years ago.

Have fun!

Thank you! I will look into this...but do you mind if I ask why you dropped out? I am currently focused on eliminating drama from my life, so any warnings are greatly appreciated!

Ok, it's definite, we're moving to the Phoenix area in 2 weeks! We'll actually be in Laveen, so if anyone wants to share any great groups in the Phoenix area (we're willing to travel) or any resources like doctors, piano lessons, etc. please pm me.

Hope to meet some of you soon!

Amy

I will contact you! I'd love to meet sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
In the past, there were a lot of field trips, etc. It just seemed like there weren't many activities happening that my kids were interested in attending. No drama :)

I cannot seem to find a contact...I've tried to go through their "join" feature, but it will not allow me to do so. Also, the one contact I DID find doesn't have a working email address, bounces back. Do you know anyone personally that I could call/email?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Val

Thank you,

Val

Just thought I'd wave "hi." DD's in Fridays at Eagleridge this year, in the 2nd grade class. We might have actually seen each other at Meet the Teacher.

We never did get involved with any organized homeschool groups. I work, and honestly just don't see a way to juggle it into the schedule. We've made the Culture Pass program at the library our friend, though--been using them for field trips as often as we can snag a good one.

I'm glad this thread was recently resurrected, or I may not have seen it :) We just moved here in June and live near Winslow. I tried out a hs group last week in Flagstaff, but it was very small so I'm not sure if it's a good fit for us. I'm looking forward to joining FHE soon though!

There is a Catholic Group, valleywide, Sacred Heart Home Educators. They have a co-op in Mesa, and various activities throughout the year.

I'm in Scottsdale. Most activities are East Valley, so we lay pretty low.

There is a Covenant Homeschool "School" in central Phoenix. I just enrolled my son in a science class there.

• 2 months later...