Menu

I did it!! I did it!!

Don't hold the applause... mark the calendar... this is a day to go down in my personal history.

I made it official. I announced that I was no longer doing laundry for my 19yr, 17yr and 14yr old daughters!!! They have hampers, new soap and they know where the washer and dryer are! I also let them know that if I found any of their clothing in my baskets or in front of the w/d, I'd promptly return their clothing to their own baskets, unclean.

WHOO-HOO.

And that's not all! What else could top that? I announced to my 15yr and 13yr sons that they were to do their laundry on their own also. They have their own hamper, too.

I am SO proud. Of me. You see, laundry has been a very hard thing for me to let go of and delegate. They can cook. They can do dishes, mop and clean bathrooms. I know that they can do laundry, too, but I've never required or given it over to them. I just always felt like it was my job. What a relief!!!

:party:

Thanks for celebrating with me,

Bee

Wow! I'm so proud of you!

I still haven't figured out how to let go of the laundry duty. See, my mom (who passed away 2 1/2 years ago) used to do all of my and my sister's laundry, any time we were home or she came to our houses! She said it was something she could do for us to free us up to 'play'.

Well, of course sis and I just let her do it. I never worried about laundry until I married and moved away from home. Even then, when she came to visit, she would take over laundry and cooking duties.

I never fully appreciated this grand gesture of hers until she was physically unable to do it. Then (in my mid-late 40's) I finally took over all the laundry duties in my household. And I can see what she sacrificed and how much time she gave to me and my sister so we could just......play. Be young. Live.

Now, I do all my family's laundry. When dd came home from college with a huge garbage sack full of dirty clothes, I smiled and told her, "Leave them with me. You go rest/read. You've worked hard enough this semester."

And, while I don't like to do laundry, I loved doing this service for her so she could just.....play. Rest. Relax. Be a kid for a while.

I do my grown son's laundry every weekend. His apartment has a washer and dryer, but the dryer was built in the '50's and it shrinks clothes. The first time he used it, we had to go shopping to replace all his office/work clothes. NOT good.

So, he brings them home every weekend, and I smile and say, "Leave them with me. You go have coffee with your dad. Play Mario Kart with your little sister." And I enjoy doing this service for him each week.

I know from experience that one day, they will 'have' to do it for themselves. And then they will know how much I loved them to do it for them, although I expect they know it now. Later they will fully appreciate it.

One day I may let the laundry go....but not yet. It is still a service act of love that I can perform for my family.

My boys started doing their laundry when they were 8 and 10 years old. They didn't have to fold it, just get it to and into the machines. I didn't fold it either; it was a time affectionately known as The Rumpled Years.

I did somewhat the opposite with dd8. She started folding her clothes (and helping Daddy match his socks) when she was 4. I still wash her clothes, but she's responsible for taking them upstairs and folding them.

I do agree with Katia, tho, about doing acts of service for our kids--so I "catch them up" from time to time, washing their clothes and folding/putting them away. My son does the same, washing our towels, mostly--we are a "one use" towel family (a luxury I allow myself--I don't usually make my bed, either), so we have lots of towels to wash during the week. Every once in a while, do a load or two for them--teach them the skill, and then teach them about grace! :D

I know I will wash clothes for my kids when they come home from college to visit--it's just something kinda sweet that many parents do, along with serving a favorite dinner and stocking the 'fridge. But I'm glad they think it's no big deal to have the chore of taking care of their clothes.

Way to go!

My dd started doing her laundry when she was 8 too. She wanted to before that, but the old (normal) washer was too hard for her to operate (pull out, turn, push in, blah blah). These new high efficiency washers are so easy to operate and hold so much (double a regular washer, seems like), I don't see how it spoils their childhood or takes too much time to do it, lol. It's such an easy way to let them learn responsibility, meeting deadlines, and not shifting the blame.

Good for you!

I stopped doing everyone's laundry a couple months ago. Everyone--dh, dd12, and ds7--ALL do their own laundry. I do mine plus sheets and towels. It has really, really helped both my workload and it has helped the kids step up to new levels of responsibility and maturity. Everyone gets their own laundry day, and I get two.

You'll never regret this. Good for you!