Menu

Curriculum Change?

TKDmom

So, we just started HS 3 weeks ago. I'm really not enjoying it as much as I hoped I might. Part of that is me. I found out I was pregnant the same week I decided to hs. It's so hard to be motivated to do ANYTHING when I'm pregnant. Especially during the 1st trimester (and the 3rd, and maybe the 2nd, too).

Anyway, I feel like part of the problem is that I just plain don't like the curriculum we chose. We're doing:

Singapore math 2A (I do like this)

R.E.A.L. Science Biology 1 (like this too, when I'm not too tired)

SWO C

FLL 2

WWE2

SOTW 1 w/AG

Unfortunately, FLL and WWE don't seem to be a good fit. dd is bored to tears with FLL. She rolls her eyes and refuses to do most of it. I skip all the copywork and such b/c we have WWE. When it's time to do WWE she really digs in her heels. She'll listen to the stories, but doing narration is like pulling teeth. We usually skip the copywork, and she does the dictation grudgingly. We're not enjoying grammar/writing at all.

She says that history is her favorite. I decided that I really don't like the AG, though. I'm not crafty. And I don't like making a lot of things that I'll just have to throw away tomorrow (or next week). Plus, it just seems like we're only getting little snippets about the topic of the week, when I want to go into a little more depth.

I've realized that we are not reading NEARLY as much as I would like to be. Our library system is large, but I have to put most things on hold, since the individual libraries don't have a huge selection. It's just tedious to figure out which books we need, place a hold, then make the trek out to the library every few days as books come in. And I'd like a little more hand-holding right now as to what would be good books to read.

Sooo. . . with all this in mind, I am considering switching over to Sonlight for history and LA. Is it too early for me to give up on the resources that I just bought a few weeks ago? Should I stick it out a little longer to see if things get more enjoyable once I start feeling better?

I know there have been many discussions about SL on this forum, but I'd still like to get advice on whether this would be a better fit for us. I'm concerned about trying to convince dh that we should spend MORE $$ on curriculum, when it may be that HS in general is the real problem for me, not the curriculum. My other concern about SL is whether it is too overtly evangelical for us. I don't think it will be, but it's hard to tell. I'm Christian, but not evangelical or protestant, and I would not care for a lot of overt religion in my school materials.

So any advice on SL and why it worked (or didn't work) for you would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

She says that history is her favorite. I decided that I really don't like the AG, though. I'm not crafty. And I don't like making a lot of things that I'll just have to throw away tomorrow (or next week). Plus, it just seems like we're only getting little snippets about the topic of the week, when I want to go into a little more depth.

I've realized that we are not reading NEARLY as much as I would like to be. Our library system is large, but I have to put most things on hold, since the individual libraries don't have a huge selection. It's just tedious to figure out which books we need, place a hold, then make the trek out to the library every few days as books come in. And I'd like a little more hand-holding right now as to what would be good books to read.

We do not do most of the activities in the AG.

But all three (and me) love the maps.

THey all also like the coloring pages (I often have ot try and find more for each chapter)

I have recently decided that we would study one chapter a week.

I sit down with the recs in the AG and request any and all that are not too high of a reading level for her. (I try to do this early Fri or Sat - forgot today). Usually at least a few are ready by Sunday evening. It also helps that the library os on DH's way home from work.

The CDs also help us out a lot - they all liek to listen to them.

Well, I really like Sonlight Cores, my kids enjoy the history and the read-alouds. I don't think you'd find it evangelical or preachy, but there are some misisonary stories in each core. We've used Prek 4/5 up through core 4 (using Core 4 now). I did sub Mystery of History 1 & 2 for Child's History of the World for Core 1 and part of core 2 because I wanted a stronger emphasis on how the Bible lines up with the rest of World History. But we've used the other cores as-is (and it's SO nice to just open the IG & go, although we're always ahead on read-alouds as we do them before bed & my kids ask for more!).

In regards to the LA, take a look at the online samples first, and see if it fits your style. The early levels weren't as good of a fit for us, but we did like LA 3 last year (I had both my 3rd and 5th graders do it). Some people love SL LA & others don't like the natural approach & prefer something else. I'd look at a few different levels of LA (they post 3 sample weeks for each level) to try to get a feel for it.

HTH some. What core are you considering?

Merry :-)

I think you should buy books to go with SOTW. The early SL cores have a lot of read alouds that don't go with the topic, and buying a program based on SOTW would cost less than a SL Core. And many have been happy with History Oddysey. Biblioplan is a good one that is simpler than the SOTW AG as well. Then there are these free programs:

Tanglewood History--if you buy the books on this page you are all set. No more library trips!

You might want to put a thread out there for specific recommendations instead of FLL/ WWE. You can try this in the meantime.

I wouldn't be too fast to switch everything. Many children balk at almost all homeschool for a good time after leaving Public School. It is a tough transition, especially when we are not using traditional curriculum, but classical, teacher-intensive curriculum.

We don't do many of the activities in the SOTW AG. Actually, I could count on one hand the number that we have done. My 2nd dd does enjoy doing the coloring sheets. We do the maps and narrations after the readings. My kids love for me to read-aloud books. I reserve all the books that our library has from the AG. Then, I look at them once we get them to decide which ones we really want to read. Some have been great. Some I have thought were too hard for their level. I started a thread yesterday about buying our books for history and lit next year because I am kind of tired of keeping up with the library. You could look at that thread to find ideas.

FLL I have no experience with. Any chance that it's too easy for her? We're using Growing with Grammar. We are doing WWE. Again, make sure you're using the appropriate level for her. My youngest is doing level 1. She gripes about doing the copywork, too, but she's learned that if she complains then she has to do both copywork selections for the day, not just one :) My kids enjoy the stories.

Maybe you both just need longer to adjust to homeschooling. It's a big change for both of you. She has to start seeing you as "teacher" and learning to do work for you. Sometimes our kids find it easier to do things for others than for us Moms.

And, like you said, you're pregnant. I'm there, too (almost 3rd trimester), so I know how you feel. First trimester is the worst!! I really would give it a little longer, except for making sure she's working on the right level for each subject. Take it slow and be patient with yourself and her.

One of my favorite things to do is research books to read, so reserving books at the library is enjoyable to me, but here's a suggestion to make it easier for you: Make sure you have a teacher card, if your library offers one. This allows you to check out books for longer than the normal check-out period. Plan several weeks to a month in advance so you can reserve all the books you need for a certain amount of time. Reserve them all in one day, so they will all come in to your local branch at about the same time. Then make one trip to pick them all up. That way you aren't running to the library frequently. Then you can use the books you need right away, and the ones you don't need for a few weeks can just wait on your shelf, because you'll have an extended time (I get six weeks, with one renewal) before they are due back.

I try to make sure that I find books that are part of a series so that as we progress through topics, I just get another book in the series. For example, we like the Children of the Ancient World series (If I Were a Kid in Ancient Greece, etc.), the Picture the Past series, Usborne and Dorling Kindersley (DK) books. You could also search on Amazon's lists to see what other people are using with their children.

My dd loves WWE, so no help there, but if your dd is refusing to do FLL, maybe you could switch to something more straightforward, like Growing With Grammar. Some kids just don't respond well to a more abstract approach. I suspect my son will be one of those kids. You could also hold off on grammar for a while. My dd will be seven in February and I don't plan to start grammar with her until the fall.

Although Sonlight looks cool, it was never a consideration for us due to the price. We have managed to pull off first grade thus far for only a few hundred dollars. I guess my recommendation (coming from someone on a very tight budget) would be to look at some of the less expensive alternatives first.

Tara

What core are you considering?

I was looking at Core 1+2 with advanced readers. I wouldn't mind core 1, but I really think she needs the advanced readers. I did their placement test with her and she started missing words at the 5th grade level. So I would imagine that 4th grade books would be just challenging enough.

My 2nd dd does enjoy doing the coloring sheets. We do the maps and narrations after the readings. My kids love for me to read-aloud books. I reserve all the books that our library has from the AG. Then, I look at them once we get them to decide which ones we really want to read.

She likes the pages, too. And when dh did history the other day, they had fun together, even though he said it took forever to get the narration out of her. Maybe I should just turn it over to him. . . And maybe she just needs to get used to doing narration. Thanks for the ideas.

FLL I have no experience with. Any chance that it's too easy for her?

I feel like it probably is too easy for her. And it just feels so stilted when we are going through the lessons. I'll look into growing with grammar

Edited by bonniebeth4

BonnieBeth, you're going to have to give yourself a little leeway because of being pregnant. It's HARD being pregnant and homeschooling, or at least it was for me a lot of the time! We did "recliner school" more than anything, hehe. I sat in the recliner with my feet up, and we did whatever she brought me. In that sense, SL would be really good for you. However don't make more of it than it is. SL is a pile of books with a schedule. Sure there are some discussion guides and timeline figures, but are you really going to do those? (I bought a core of SL when I was at a burnt out stage, and it was so-so for me, neither the ultimate answer nor a waste, which is why I'm suggesting you just be realistic.) I know you want to read aloud more, but do you feel up to it? If I could suggest, you ought to get books on tape, lots of books on tape. As the others have said, your dc can color the pages to go with the SOTW readings. So you get SOTW *on tape* and they listen to it and color. DONE. Nothing else. No ag, no stress. You take a nap and they do history. Let it be that simple, honest!

Science. You might like to have a low-key plan for the days when you don't feel up to doing your biology. Some usborne books that come with stuff (magnets, prisms, etc.) would be easy. Put out a bird feeder with suet cakes and give them guides to identify the birds that come. Keep it easy, kwim?

WWE and FLL. Well I hate to say it, but we all did writing without WWE back in the day, and you can too. It's not hard, lol. Your dd may be beyond copywork and be bored with it. My dd was by 2nd gr. Many people do FLL a year ahead, so it may be too simplistic. It also has a ton of repetition that some people skip. I suggest using your homeschool prerogative and skipping everything but the lessons in FLL2 where new concepts get introduced. Do those, memorize the defs, and move on. That's what we did. For writing, your goal in 2nd grade is to get her to where she can write her own narrations. It doesn't matter what those narrations are on (history, science, a book she read, anything that INTERESTS her). After that, she can start a writing program like Writing Tales or Imitations in Writing. Many advanced dc can do WT1 in 2nd grade, so that may be what your dd needs. Remember curriculum is written to the middle. With homeschooling, you have to tweak up or down to make it fit. You're not going to do a straight across 2nd gr program with her, kwim?

For me, the last month was really ugly (give up, just give up, don't even try to homeschool), and the 3 months after the birth were pretty low on what we accomplished too. My dd is older than yours and supposedly could have been a bit more independent, but even so we didn't accomplish a ton. I suggest you consider that your "summer" and just be really nice to yourself. She's only 2nd grade, and it's not going to hurt a THING if you have to pare down. Have a do-able daily plan, like doing math and a spelling workbook and some form of writing (handwriting and a few sentences under a picture) every single day. Other than that, be really kind to yourself. For some strange reason, we ended up doing a lot of science and not much history or anything else, go figure. Whatever you do will be fine. Math is the main thing that's hard to catch up, so be diligent on that. Don't stress though. You can do this and it will be fine. :)

I really like Sonlight's Read-Alouds, and even though I have gone back to a more WTM-focused method, I still read out loud most every day (and my kids are much bigger than yours!) It really does help build "together memories", and that was one thing I really cherished when we first started homeschooling. It is also a good way to build in "language" and "culture" without much effort on your kids' part. =) You needn't use Sonlight for that - simply choose a book from the SOTW-AG or a WTM list and read.

As far as the library, I have the same situation over here. I request online, and they will hold the books for 3 days once they arrive. But, if they have some and I'm still waiting on others, I can just call and tell them to please hold them until whenever, and they have never given me any grief about it. That way the library is just a once-a-week trip.

One thing that helped my 2nd grader with narrations was to simply tell me the thing he liked best, or the most exciting thing, or the most important thing. Whatever he came out with was fine, but then we would talk about that, and I would help him think of a more concise way to say it. Then, *I* would write it out and he usually liked to draw a picture. Once that was easy-peasy for him, he started to own the process and writing them out on his own.

Best wishes!

If you go with Sonlight I would give them a call and try to get Core 1 with the advanced readers. You should be able to switch out the reader package no problem.

Abeka has a wonderful language arts program that may be easier for a child who is used to Public School to adjust to.

Oh, one more thing.... you don't like the way SOTW bounces from topic to topic. You can get schedules that are based around civilizations instead of perfect chronology. Biblioplan is one like this, and so is Winterpromise Hideaways in History. I don't know what others might do this for you.

BonnieBeth, you're going to have to give yourself a little leeway because of being pregnant. It's HARD being pregnant and homeschooling, or at least it was for me a lot of the time! We did "recliner school" more than anything, hehe. I sat in the recliner with my feet up, and we did whatever she brought me.

:iagree:

Things definitely move at a slower pace during pregnancy and post partum! You will just have to move at a slower pace and don't be so hard on yourself.

If you go with Sonlight I would give them a call and try to get Core 1 with the advanced readers. You should be able to switch out the reader package no problem.

Abeka has a wonderful language arts program that may be easier for a child who is used to Public School to adjust to.

Oh, one more thing.... you don't like the way SOTW bounces from topic to topic. You can get schedules that are based around civilizations instead of perfect chronology. Biblioplan is one like this, and so is Winterpromise Hideaways in History. I don't know what others might do this for you.

SL Core 1 and Core 2 is by civilization also. If you do decide to go with that, I agree with Loved, get Core 1 w advanced readers. Core 1 +2 goes so fast through a long period of history. But consider how much reading aloud you're up to doing , there is a lot with SL. You can sub the read alouds with audibooks, as Elizabeth mentioned.

I would let science be informal, in an effort to keep it as simple as possible during your pregnancy. Get Bill Nye and Magic School bus videos from the library, and provide her with books from the library on any science topic she's interested in and let her read since she's a strong reader.

LA, I would even consider workbooks like EPS Writing Skills and Growing with Grammar, and let her be pretty independent this year.

Keep it as simple and easy on yourself as you possibly can this year, she is young. :001_smile:

I've been using SL for over ten years now and I'm not Christian, so it can be made to work. Some Cores require more adapting than others (like Core 5).

I can see two easy choices. You can keep going with SOTW and just add in readalouds and readers from SL (with or without the schedule) or you can switch to SL. Core 1 starts off with world cultures and then moves into ancient world history. Core 2 is medieval times up to modern times.

None of my kids would have done well with FLL. It's a good program - just not for my kids.

Some kids do best with rules-based programs. Some do best with pattern-based programs. Every kid is different.

My kids enjoyed SOTW, but hated the activity guide. I only bought the first AG, and we ended up abandoning that one less than halfway through the year. They didn't like the activities or the coloring pages or the mapwork. They liked using the SL mark-it map.

You don't actually have to use a grammar program with your dd at all yet. Since you're pregnant and your dd doesn't enjoy the grammar program you have, you could just drop it for this year.

I don't like SL's LA program. There wasn't enough guidance for writing and the grammar didn't work for my kids. I like Winston Grammar, but I wouldn't use it with a kid under 4th grade. WG teaches parts of speech and usage, but not mechanics.

While I don't like Easy Grammar, I do like Daily Grams. It's low-key and repeats just enough that my kids don't forget.

I also like the proofreading exercises on http://www.spellingconnectionsonline.com . You don't have register and the program is free.

When I was in my 1st trimester I considered it a good day if dd read to me in bed, I fed her a snack, and eventually fed the horse!

Go easy on yourself - pregnancy is WORK and the older we get, the more work it is. (Mine are 11 years apart. At 36 I was so much more exhausted than at 25!).

Here is a blog for homeschoolers - I'm linking you to her download page, but cruise around and see what she has to say about schooling.

Just remember - instill the love of learning!

http://docsdomain.net/blog/?page_id=637

In terms of saving money, have you tried www.oldfashionededucation.com or www.amblesideonline.com ? They're both mostly free and use public domain texts for most subjects. Both programs strongly suggest buying math and probably 4th grade and up science. Our family is currently without an income so I have to use as much free curriculum as possible.

As for being pregnant and taking it easy, these ladies are right. I'm a weird exception, I think. I spent a week in the hospital including before and after with both of mine and I was ready to MOVE!! lol

Hope this helps!

Heidi

BonnieBeth, you're going to have to give yourself a little leeway because of being pregnant. It's HARD being pregnant and homeschooling, or at least it was for me a lot of the time!

:iagree: I noticed that we are due at the same time. :D Congrats!

This is our 4th year homeschooling and it's tough being pregnant... then add school!!

Your kids won't suffer if you skip History and Science while you're getting the hang of LA and Math. Once those subjects are done well you can start adding History and Science, if you feel up to it. :)

I also agree with PP that said your daughter may think FLL is too easy. My kids never enjoyed it.

Right now we are down to the bare minimum. Language Arts and Math. That's it.

Hang in there. Things will start falling into place.

As for being pregnant and taking it easy, these ladies are right. I'm a weird exception, I think. I spent a week in the hospital including before and after with both of mine and I was ready to MOVE!! lol

I've had both of mine at home, and after this one I finally understood why being in a hospital (with someone to bring you things, take care of you, feed you, etc.) might be a perk! :)

The best way to save money is to use the stuff you have and not constantly feel the need (or give in to the desire) to change. If you commit to using what you HAVE, you end up finding new ways to use it. The expense comes when you constantly change, hoping something else will be better. In the end you have to find ways to make things work, not hope for perfection, which ain't out there. There's a reason why we all own so much curriculum and eventually kick ourselves. ;)

I would encourage you not to change anything at this point in time. You are only three weeks into your program. Your children are young. Did you start every subject at once the first week? Even with my older children we don't jump right into school. We take it subject by subject until we get up to speed especially with curriculum that is new to us.

I jumped around a lot with curriculum when we first started and my son was young. I got caught up in his drama of not liking something. I would seriously encourage you to take it slow and evaluate after giving things more time. I don't know the reason why you are starting in the middle of the year, but your kids might need some adjustment time from their previous learning environment.

Jennie

We started Sonlight core 1 this year with my 7 and 6 yo. It is a perfect fit. My 7 yo is working way above level, but the level 2 int LA worked perfect for her. She completes her reading very fast, but I add in additional reading at her choice. She really enjoys that. I did that so I could use core 2 with 2 adv. next year. We have added in SL science, LA 1 & 2 int, sotw 1, abeka math, wordly wise, and mind benders.

The copywork is on day 1 of your week for la. Thats it! Mine dont argue about doing it since it is only once a week.

As far as the books, I dont find them overly religious. I skipped the missionary stories and one other so far. I dont do the religion on the top either. I find the discussion questions wonderful. I really notice my kids have learned a ton from it already.

We did the first half of SOTW 1 last year. My kids loved it. We only did one reading a week with the activity sheets, maps and questions. My kids still can remember everything they learned with it. I never did the other activities. I hate projects.

I would suggest you take it slow. No need to rush into teaching. Go on field trips for now and just relax. We unschooled a lot last year and really had fun. We did science at the park. We took all our books to the playground. We had math days at the mall. When my kids started getting too difficult...we went to the library and picked some school movies. I bought the year pass to the museum and went all the time. THe kids loved it. They got used to getting their work done really quickly. My girls only took 2 hours or so and my son took about 5 for 6 grade.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. The question is moot now, b/c dh came home from his boy scout campout and said something to the effect of, "There's no way we're buying another curriculum, when we already have one. You just want to buy books." *Sigh* He knows me too well. I'm still looking at SL for the future, though. I like books. I will try not to be discouraged when we don't get a lot accomplished. My difficulty is that dd is bored and misses her friends. We are starting to get involved in our local hs group. I think that will help her a lot. It will just take energy for me to get up and take her. *sigh* thanks for the group therapy. :)

I'm jumping in late here, but I just wanted to add that it is hard starting homeschooling in January! We did it (two years ago) and it was a rough transition. I can't even imagine being pregnant at the same time. A good friend who had been homeschooling for several years advised me to not even worry about history and science until the next fall. I was so glad for that advice -- it really helped us ease into the whole routine. We also put Latin on hold until the fall. My kids missed their school friends too (especially my son). We had tears anytime we even drove by the school. But by the next January things were much better, and now it's going mostly great. It's a learning process for everyone, so just hang in there. :grouphug:

Oh, and you might want to take a look at the FLL CD. It really added to our enjoyment of FLL.

My kids both enjoyed 2 grammar books we just got at the library,

"If I were a verb" and "If a were a palindrome." I was going to read them during school, they found them at night after school and had me read the verb one to them. They were jumping around the house being different types of verbs! My 3 year old even figured out what a verb was. They have a whole series with nouns, adverbs, etc. My daughter still talks about palindromes a week or so later.