Menu

Treadmills

Do you own/use/want a treadmill?  

1. 1. Do you own/use/want a treadmill?

• Own one & use it regularly.
    • Own one & use it sometimes.
    • Own one & use it for catching dust, stray laundry, etc.
    • Don't own one but wish I did.
    • Don't own one, don't want one.

I use mine daily for short bursts of stress relief.

Normally 15-20 minutes of fast walking to running pace.

The children also use it and think it is fun.

In the winter our property is unsuitable for running and the parks are more than 45 minutes away so a treadmill it was.

Although I got a great deal on a used one that was only used about 10 times since they had it, so I felt better about getting it.

No laundry on it, but sometimes one of the kids will spread out a sleeping bag and camp there. :D Dd uses it to help with her blood sugar levels during the winter months when outdoor playtime is limited. Dh and I got it for ourselves, but we have a long list of excuses why we don't use it much.

I'm just going to pretend that I didn't actually hang my ironed shirts on the handrail the other day.

Sigh.

Ria (hey...I was 20 lbs under my "happy weight" and I'm a size 6. I could make a case for the treadmill being unhealthy and causing weight loss. Right? Hope springs eternal...)

I'm just going to pretend that I didn't actually hang my ironed shirts on the handrail the other day.

Sigh.

Ria (hey...I was 20 lbs under my "happy weight" and I'm a size 6. I could make a case for the treadmill being unhealthy and causing weight loss. Right? Hope springs eternal...)

Sigh.

I'm twenty pounds over my "happy weight" and I use mine regularly.

:001_huh:

I'd never heard the variation "dreadmill" before DB (Donna) in NJ used it one time here. It's so apropos!:D Oh, sure, every year when we have a bout of discouraging weather, I come here and ponder aloud whether I should break down and buy one. But I wouldn't use it. The thought of running (or walking) in place is so utterly awful. Any physical benefit would be offset by my annoyance with the whole contraption. Moving is for outside.

Edited by Colleen

I go to the gym and walk/run for about an hour 3-5 times a week. If I had the room and the money I would purchase one. South FL is too hot to actually run outside. I have tried exercising outside in the past and my hands swell up. I'm not sure what causes it but it only happens outside in the heat.

We had one a few years ago that didn't get used much so we sold it. We got another one around Christmas and we've been using it pretty much every day. I was surprised to find myself liking it after awhile. I walk briskly for at least a mile every weekday. I do it right after I wake up. Occasionally I'll run for a bit (5 mph). I've lost 4 lbs. :)

Sigh.

Don't be ridiculous. That's what the handles on foosball games are for.

I have one and love it. I like to be able to walk for as long or little as I want and then stop and still be at home. Great for cold weather and hot weather. Especially hot weather. I can go out in the cool of the day and do my horse work and still come in and walk in the AC. And it's set up in the sitting room part of our bedroom, so I can watch a video while I'm walking. I can't seem to read and walk at the same time.

I use one at our local gym 3-5 days of the week. I've often thought of what it would be like to have one at home, but when think about how much a really nice, solid, not jiggly one costs, it's far more cost-effective for me to go to the gym. The cost of a family membership for one year at our YMCA -- which includes all family members being able to use all weight equipment, swimming pool, classes, treadmills, crosstrainers, bikes, etc. -- is less than the price for a high-quality treadmill. I like the variety of machines too much, and have a history, you might say, of buying "minor" exercise equipment which ends up collecting dust, so no home treadmill for me.

I'd never heard the variation "dreadmill" before DB (Donna) in NJ used it one time here. It's so apropos!:D Oh, sure, every year when we have a bout of discouraging weather, I come here and ponder aloud whether I should break down and buy one. But I wouldn't use it. The thought of running (or walking) in place is so utterly awful. Any physical benefit would be offset by my annoyance with the whole contraption. Moving is for outside.

I knew *you* wouldn't want one, lol. I almost put "EXCEPT Colleen" on my poll. I've been reading through a bunch of exercise threads today, & I really got a good feel for your opinion of treadmills. :lol:

And see, I'm married to Thoreau. So I feel incredibly guilty to say that outside is not for me. Not here anyway. The *busyness* of the grass growing, birds, bugs, wind, etc. overwhelms my senses. And the inability to multitask nearly shuts me down. The *only* success I've ever had exercising was in an air-conditioned place w/ a book on tape. The only thing good I have to say about it is at least I know myself. :lol:

But I do agree w/ the term "dreadmill"--I'd much prefer to be innately healthy. ;)

And see, I'm married to Thoreau. So I feel incredibly guilty to say that outside is not for me. Not here anyway. The *busyness* of the grass growing, birds, bugs, wind, etc. overwhelms my senses. And the inability to multitask nearly shuts me down. The *only* success I've ever had exercising was in an air-conditioned place w/ a book on tape. The only thing good I have to say about it is at least I know myself. :lol:

Well, I don't know you in the flesh, but one thing I do know about you is that you do have a lot of people-induced stimuli in your life and that you don't have a whole heckuvva lotta money. Put those two things together and imo it adds up to getting outside (where the "busyness" of the grass growing is far less overwhelming than the busyness of small people) and not spending money you don't have on a machine that recreates what your own two legs can do, sans cash.

:)

Well, I don't know you in the flesh, but one thing I do know about you is that you do have a lot of people-induced stimuli in your life and that you don't have a whole heckuvva lotta money. Put those two things together and imo it adds up to getting outside (where the "busyness" of the grass growing is far less overwhelming than the busyness of small people) and not spending money you don't have on a machine that recreates what your own two legs can do, sans cash.

:)

As far as the $ goes, I try to treat that separately. Iow, I try to first address the question, "Would this be a good idea *independent* of $" If that's a yes, then I move on to the $ issue. I'm pretty good at finding things for incredibly cheap. I've actually made $ on all the furniture I've ever bought, & the sofa we have now was $30.

I don't have a good way to leave the apt complex right now, & I don't like jogging the short little lap inside the courtyard in front of everybody, kwim? The kids are w/ me always, too. I mean ALWAYS.

However, I *have* decided to use what I've got for now, i.e. the courtyard & a workout video I'm borrowing from my mom. I don't want a piece of equipment to be able to be an excuse not to exercise. And I know we're moving soon, & it seems silly to move it. And I realize that after we move, we could very well be near a park or something. Still, when it hits 110 this summer, & w/ 4 littles, I don't know.

So anyway, I'm just gathering information right now, keeping an eye on the free listings on Craig's List, thinking about it. Kwim?

I got one last winter so I could continue to train for my marathon when it was too treacherous to be out. I'm not talking wind and rain or cold temps (I love running outdoors in all weather) - I'm talking packed snow, ice --- I fell and broke my wrist one year running on ice so DH doesn't want me to do that again.

Also, my kiddos are still young and I have to push them in a double stroller. That isn't possible when there is snow... the stroller and the kids weighs well over 100 lbs and the wheels just sink into the snow.

This winter, however, DH has been using my treadmill more than I - he is putting me to shame. I'm not really training for anything specific so it is too easy for me to talk myself out of running if I have to run on the treadmill.

Meh...I didn't vote because we don't own a treadmill. However, my dh insisted we buy a Bowflex last year and it has sat, untouched, practically since he put it together. Not only that but that monstrosity is sitting in my LIVING ROOM because he refused to set it up out in the garage. He said if it were in the living room he'd have no excuse for not using it at night as he could just watch a movie while working out. Ha. I want to Craigslist that thing so badly.

But I actually trained for the Boston Marathon on our treadmill. I just couldn't get enough miles in otherwise. At first I hated the idea. I mean part of the joy of running is the "escaping" part, right? But I learned that I can escape pretty effectively with my ipod and listen to all those interesting podcasts.

So, the marathon was "back in the day". Since then I've messed up my back with a combination of being dumped off horses and the constant pounding of all the miles I used to put in with the marathoning. Now I'm watching craigslist for an eliptical trainer. I think it's the only way I'll be able to get exercise and still be able to walk :001_huh:.

We purchased one on the 1st, and everyone here is still using it. I love it for winter here, and I'm down a few pounds.

We do have the luxury of another bedroom, so space isn't a big issue with it. We have it set up in front of a big window with a cd player and television. I'm enjoying lots of books on tape and the rest of the fam prefer to get a little tv time in.

If the place were cramped it might bug me or I'd take it downstairs to the basement. Honestly, I was unsure we would use, but my kids aren't little (no safety worry) and the weather here is just not walking or running weather year round. That said, I do like getting on the treadmill for short stress relieving burst or just catching 15 minutes of exercise here and there throughout the day.

My dh is a runner and will always use it when the weather is bad, but he prefers running outside. When he really runs on this one, we can hear it downstairs, but if someone is walking or jogging it isn't noisy.

I think a good one can be a blessing if you use. A good one can be a little expensive and does take up a lot of room, we have a space saver one that folds up.

I use mine every day for walking or running. I tried walking outside, but got tired of having dogs in the neighborhood "greet" me and then there was the house with the "interesting" man who tried to squirt me with his water hose and winked in a creepy way every time I went by his house.

Now I get to watch the news and walk or run in the comfort of my house. I love it.

I've only ever seen them used as laundry-collectors, but I noticed some of y'all mentioned using them in one of the exercise threads. I assume you mean using them as intended. ;)

I run on one, at the gym on base, and wish I had one here. (I'm considering purchasing one, actually).

Treadmills are easier on me. (I've read a study that talks about impact, but I can't go dig for it right now). I still love the outdoors...just can't run on asphalt, which is my only option around here.

It's a tool! A machine! If you'll run/walk regularly with one, I think it's a good investment.

You can always take a 'stop and smell the roses' walk with "Thoreau" for recreation, lol. ;-)