Menu

Timely American History Quiz

Today Barack Hussein Obama (II) was sworn-in as the fourth-fourth President of the United States of America.

In his inaugural address he said:

Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath.

Why was he incorrect? If you know the answer, you can either say: I know, I know!

Or you an just blurt-out the answer :D

Other-wise take a guess

Bill

Today Barack Hussein Obama (II) was sworn-in as the fourth-fourth President of the United States of America.

Why was he incorrect? If you know the answer, you can either say: I know, I know!

Other-wise take a guess

Bill

Charles Gibson said why!:D

Other-wise take a guess

Bill

Washington took the oath. On a bible borrowed from a Masonic temple three blocks away (which still keeps the Washington Bible that GWB would have been sworn in on, but it was raining). (Interesting given the Mason thread recently)

I'm calling uncle. I see where there have been those who didn't "swear" the oath (rather, "affirmed"), I see where someone other than the Chief Justice administered the oath, but I see nowhere where the oath was omitted altogether.

That's not my understanding...but I could be wrong.

I'm looking for another answer to part B.

And for you to "prove" me wrong :tongue_smilie:

Bill

According to my earlier search John Adams was the first to take an oath. It appears now this may have been incorrect.

(George Washington was first sworn in by Robert Livingston, the chancellor of the State of New York in 1789,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office_of_the_President_of_the_United_States

Point for you SpyCar. :001_smile:

So we are still looking for an answer to part B, what president did not "swear" the presidential oath, and why?

Pierce "affirmed" the oath because he was Quaker.

I will point out that you completely hosed up the quiz here and have made me half crazy with searching. {I hear the evil chuckle}:

Why was he incorrect?

He was not incorrect. You attributed "sworn" for "taken". It is mean to mess with minds on the edge you know. Edited by MyCrazyHouse

DD says Roosevelt refused to use a bible. Is that B?

This is incorrect.

But it does add a part C to our quiz.

Only one President* was not given the oath using a Bible (or Bibles), who?

I'm researching a possible "second" and finding conflicting information.

Edited by Spy Car

John Quincy Adams used a book of law.

Teddy Roosevelt did not use a bible.

Jack Kennedy, while a bible was present, is reported to have held his left hand at his side.

Linden Johnson was sworn in on a Catholic missal.

There was somebody else who did not use a bible...

Pierce "affirmed" the oath because he was Quaker.

I will point out that you completely hosed up the quiz here and have made me half crazy with searching. {I hear the evil chuckle}:

He was not incorrect. You attributed "sworn" for "taken". It is mean to mess with minds on the edge you know.

Half correct. It was Franklin Pierce, but I believe he was Episcopalian. In any case he believed the scriptures forbid "swearing oaths" to he "affirmed".

Very good!

John Quincy Adams used a book of law.

Teddy Roosevelt did not use a bible.

Jack Kennedy, while a bible was present, is reported to have held his left hand at his side.

Linden Johnson was sworn in on a Catholic missal.

There was somebody else who did not use a bible...

You bested me here (assuming this is correct info :tongue_smilie:)

I was looking for John Quincy Adams and his law books.

Other-wise take a guess

Bill

Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms.

Half correct. It was Franklin Pierce, but I believe he was Episcopalian. In any case he believed the scriptures forbid "swearing oaths" to he "affirmed".

Very good!

As are you. It was Herbert Hoover who was the Quaker who also "affirmed"... and on a law book. I knew there was another.

(There are conflicting reports about whether Kennedy's hand was on the Dubay bible or not)

I think Pres. Obama also made a reference to "44 times that our peaceful transition of power" had taken place. Only 43 really. Our first president under the Constitution did not take the position "peacefully" from what I recall of the Revolution. Unless he was referring to tranferring from the fourteenth president under the Articles of Confederation to the first under the Constitution. But I am splitting hairs here I suppose:tongue_smilie:.

I think Pres. Obama also made a reference to "44 times that our peaceful transition of power" had taken place. Only 43 really. Our first president under the Constitution did not take the position "peacefully" from what I recall of the Revolution. Unless he was referring to tranferring from the fourteenth president under the Articles of Confederation to the first under the Constitution. But I am splitting hairs here I suppose:tongue_smilie:.

Splitting hairs it what is thread is all about :D:D:D

You Soph the Vet get an A+!!!

Well done :001_smile: