Menu

Requirements for your local community college?

As I research homeschooling high school, I am confused by different policies that obviously have to do with different states. I keep coming across the assertion that getting into community college is easy and doesn't require a diploma. That doesn't seem to be the case for Georgia!

Here is a quote on admissions requirements from one community college, a technical school:

"A regular high school diploma or a General Educational Development Diploma (GED) is required as a prerequisite for entrance into some diploma and certificate programs and for all degree programs. See specific entrance requirements for individual programs. A regular high school diploma or GED is required for all associate degree programs prior to admission.

A high school diploma or a GED is not required as a prerequisite for entrance in all diploma programs; however, prior to graduation from a diploma program at Lanier Tech, all students must receive either a high school diploma or a GED. An applicant who does not have a high school diploma or GED, and who wishes to apply for financial aid, may demonstrate eligibility for entry to those programs not requiring a high school diploma/GED if the applicant achieves acceptable scores on the Ability-to-Benefit (ATB) ASSET Examination as well as acceptable program entry scores. Passing the ATB exam does not take the place of having a high school diploma or GED for those programs that require a diploma or GED as a prerequisite for admission purposes. "

I wish we lived in one of the states that allows teens to take classes without a diploma or GED!

For homeschool students wanting to take dual credit classes, these are the requirements. I just copied and pasted.

"Has the student completed the 10th grade year?

Does the student have a gpa of 80 or higher on the high school transcript?"

They also have to take all portions of the entrance test.

FYI - "MCC's concurrent enrollment program, more commonly known as the dual credit program, provides an opportunity for academically strong high school juniors and seniors from public, private, and home-school settings to enroll in courses that will earn both college and high school credit."

They also have early admission, but you have to have completed your junior year. If you want your child to take courses after they have graduated high school, you just submit a high school transcript with the same testing requirements.

By the way, this is in Texas where homeschools are considered private schools.

As I research homeschooling high school, I am confused by different policies that obviously have to do with different states. I keep coming across the assertion that getting into community college is easy and doesn't require a diploma. That doesn't seem to be the case for Georgia!

Here is a quote on admissions requirements from one community college, a technical school:

"A regular high school diploma or a General Educational Development Diploma (GED) is required as a prerequisite for entrance into some diploma and certificate programs and for all degree programs. See specific entrance requirements for individual programs. A regular high school diploma or GED is required for all associate degree programs prior to admission.

A high school diploma or a GED is not required as a prerequisite for entrance in all diploma programs; however, prior to graduation from a diploma program at Lanier Tech, all students must receive either a high school diploma or a GED. An applicant who does not have a high school diploma or GED, and who wishes to apply for financial aid, may demonstrate eligibility for entry to those programs not requiring a high school diploma/GED if the applicant achieves acceptable scores on the Ability-to-Benefit (ATB) ASSET Examination as well as acceptable program entry scores. Passing the ATB exam does not take the place of having a high school diploma or GED for those programs that require a diploma or GED as a prerequisite for admission purposes. "

I wish we lived in one of the states that allows teens to take classes without a diploma or GED!

I don't see that you have to have a diploma or GED to take classes. You just have to have one to graduate in one of their programs. So, your teen could take classes during high school I would guess.

My ds is taking 2 classes this semester at the local cc. (He has no intention of completing a degree there.) Basically, he had to show his SAT scores which were high enough that he wasn't required to take any of the entrance tests. He did have to take a placement test for calculus.

I'd suggest you call and ask about dual enrollment for high school students; you may find that it's not as difficult as you think.

For the most part, the only requirement to enroll in community college in California is that you are breathing.:D

Some c.c. will allow dual enrollment, but what we did was enroll our dds as actual college students, earning college credit. We paid tuition (which is not very much in California) just like all other students.

However, every c.c. in the state can pretty much make its own rules, so not all of them will be as flexible as the one our dds attended.

I don't see that you have to have a diploma or GED to take classes. You just have to have one to graduate in one of their programs. So, your teen could take classes during high school I would guess.

I'd suggest you call and ask about dual enrollment for high school students;

you may find that it's not as difficult as you think.

This was also my take on it according to the quotations posted.

They do have a dual enrollment program called ACCEL but it's only for students enrolled in public or private school programs. It's a lottery-funded program administered by the Georgia Student Finance Commission. In fact, I just signed a petition to this affect. The petition says: "We believe the accreditation requirement of the Board of Regents' (BOR) joint enrollment admission policy discriminates against homeschooled students and should be eliminated. " (I'll start a separate post for this.)

I sent an email yesterday asking for information about homeschoolers as this is the first college I've looked at online that does not address homeschoolers specifically. I'll phone admissions today and see if I can get a faster answer.

They let the public or private school award the credit on the high school transcript when dual enrollment is being used, college credit isn't given.

Georgia is whacked when it comes to education. I can't believe they don't include homeschoolers in everything because it would likely bring their rating up!!

Bev in B'ville has written about the accreditation process that she underwent in Georgia so that her children can participate in dual enrollment, etc. You might want to search her old posts for information.

HTH,

Jane

:iagree: I read that - and it seemed pretty easy.

I can't believe GA is that mucked up (i have a friend that has to figure out what to do as her DD is in 8th). It's right up there with CA going thru the motions making HSing legal - but yet, the States Schools require an accredited diploma for entrance.

Here in FL students can "dual enroll" earning both CC credit AND high school credit. Public and students HSing thru the county pay nothing while in High School, private school students must pay their books (and i'm not sure on tuition, i was confused reading back then).

Here in FL students can "dual enroll" earning both CC credit AND high school credit. Public and students HSing thru the county pay nothing while in High School, private school students must pay their books (and i'm not sure on tuition, i was confused reading back then).

For dual-enrollment as a homeschooler, you have a permission form signed by the school board stating that you're a legal (registered--not 600) hs, along w/a letter from the parent stating that the credit will be used for both hi scl & college & a placement test score (ACT/SAT/their test). They pay fees & tuition, we buy books (ps gets them free too.)

As for GED/diploma, a friends ps son didn't graduate, but started cc. I believe he had to get his GED after about a year, mainly to qualify for some financial aid.

My oldest is looking into attending the local CC next year (middle dd too but for dual enrollment). She has been 'delayed' do to some learning issues--but she will be 19 next fall and I really do not want to be in 'control' of her education any longer. She is WAY ahead of where she would have been in a PS special ed program. I'm fairly confident that she can be successful at the CC... BUT

She wants to get certification to be an x-ray tech. The CC offers these classes but the certification testing is done by a different governing body--NOT the CC. That body requires a high school diploma or GED. They WILL accept a homeschool diploma... since dd is not really 'earning' a high school diploma (I'm FINISHING her at about the 10th grade level) she may well end up taking the GED if that is what she needs.

Another homeschool family I know (student 'finished' way below 12th grade level) found an unscrupulous online 'diploma' mill--I mean program-- and the CC and her degree program actually ACCEPTED it. I don't want to go that route.

If dd is able to complete her entry level CC courses "I" may count them as dual -enrollment and then issue her a diploma.

Hoops, Hoops, Hoops...I'm tired of jumping and we have not started yet!

This is a very cool site I just found that lists the policies of all 50 states:

Dual or Concurrent Enrollment

As for GA, here is what the site says: Georgia State has three programs: ACCEL, Dual Enrollment and Joint Enrollment. ACCEL is a lottery-funded dual enrollment program administered by the Georgia Student Finance Commission that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take certain courses (not technical certificate courses) for high school and postsecondary credit. Dual Enrollment allows students to take courses at public or private institutions for high school and postsecondary credit. Joint Enrollment allows high school students to take courses at public or private institutions only for postsecondary credit.

Joint enrollment is what you want. You don't mention your local CC, but here is an example of enrollment requirements for http://www.gpc.edu/~je/JEindex_admissions.html

ETA: Oops, looks like they want you to be a part of an "accredited homeschool program". :001_huh:? Here is a related HSLDA alert :glare:

Sigh.