Menu

Can you plz jot down your favorite dinner ideas to bring to new moms and others?

I just need some fresh ideas. So many people bring ziti, etc., so I try to stay away from that.

I have brought chili before and that works out well because it's easy to reheat (I bring corn muffins and so on with it.) I have a great "harvest pork chop" recipe (mix carrots, potatoes (regular and/or sweet) and onions in olive oil and S+P and put in disposable baking pan (so you can deliver it in that and they don't have to return it), put pork chops over it, then mix 3/4 c. apricot jelly with 2 T orange juice, 1 t thyme and put that over it and bake-it makes a yummy glaze.) It works out great because it's different than the other things they're getting, plus it has the veggies, etc. right in the pan. The only problem there is unless you plan to bring it hot at the time to eat it, it's a tough one for a reheat. I usually add a salad and dessert, sometimes rolls.

What are your ideas that are big hits with people? It would be especially good if it were economical (it can be so expensive!), and easy to reheat!

Roast chicken, roast veggies, bagged salad and a baguette.

Or lots of sandwich makings, raw veggies, hummus, muffins and other quick-to-grab snacks. I know for me, right after having a baby, I tended not to get anything to eat myself during the day. It was really helpful if there was something I could just grab and eat (or hand to my toddler).

Chicken legs baked in the oven with various spices, potatoes and such. Very thrifty and totally delicious. I bring rice with it, and usually a vegetable like green beans.

I also think a tub of spaghetti sauce is a nice gift as it can be frozen. The person would make their own pasta whenever they plan to serve it.

I usually do ziti or lasgne, so I guess I belong in the Italian food group.

My friend just broke her leg skiing and I am suppose to take her a meal on Friday so I am going to be watching this post.

I love the roasted chicken and veggies idea. She eats super healthly so I know her family would love that.

Looking forward to the other ideas!

I have brought, Spanish rice and beans with Empanadas, Homemade e-tra large meatballs, salad, fresh hogie rolls and shredded cheese (meatball subs), Chicken pot pie and Homemade chicken soup with a load of fresh baked bread.....oh my I am hungry!!!

beef stew

chicken stir fry & rice (I find out if they like cabbage first)

chicken soup with noodles or rice (cross between stew and soup)

chili

baked chicken and dressing (cooked outside bird)

spaghetti sauce and uncooked spaghetti

lasagne

casseroles, various

salad, fresh or frozen vegetables

fresh fruit

rolls, bread, crackers, as desired

jello (plain, red)

dessert: something the kids will love

I am taking dinner on Thursday to a df who broke her leg too!

We try bring dinners a lot to people though because with hs'ing it's a service we can do as a family.

Was your friend skiing in New Mexico when she broke it? Maybe we have the same friend. LOL!

Grilled chicken salad, corn chowder, and fresh bread

Baked chicken, fruit salad, green salad (but I keep the ingrediants separated because nursing moms can and cannot eat different things), bread

For new moms, I try to stay away from really spicy stuff or stuff with onions as I could not eat that and nurse. I always assume a new mom is nursing.

Another thing I do is get a large (enough to feed the whole family) gift card from a place with curbside take-out like Outback or Chilis. Especially if there are teenagers in the family, it gives them control over what they are eating.

One more thing, I like to take a coffee cake, too. Make breakfast easier for the family, too.

:drool5:

Recipe please-spanish rice and beans and empanadas!

I think I can find the other recipes like pasta fagioli, etc.-all great ideas-keep 'em comin'! They all sound amazing!!

Ferdie-skiing in NM? I never put those two things together! :) No, this was horseback riding in the northeast-about as far away as you can get!!

Whole Foods for the Whole Family.

I LOVE the Easy, Cheesy Texas Quiche they have in there (I do make a few alterations to it) and I LOVE the David's Favorite Casserole (it's easy to leave the meat out of this one too and still have it taste great).

I'm at work so for those that don't have the cookbook, I can't post the recipes right now, but anyone that has the cookbook may want to try these.

Both are easy to make in quantity. Both freeze and reheat well. I have been asked for the recipes almost every time I've brought them to people.

The quiche is basically like a cheeseburger in a crust. It has meat, cheese, eggs, a little milk and mayo (I use less and use vegenaise), and I add picante sauce. You just mix everything and dump it into a crust (homemade or bought - I use bought from Whole Foods so it'll have a throw-away dish after - makes it that much easier for them to clean up). It's great with a salad, corn, other vegetable, etc.

The casserole is penne pasta cooked and tossed with a mixture of (and it may sound gross but I swear it's delicious) the meat (optional), sliced, cooked carrots, cottage cheese, sour cream, tomato sauce. Mix it all together, top with cheese and bake. This is delicious!!

I had someone bring me salsbury steak over noodles, and another person brought venison shepherds pie (her hubby is a huge hunter). I think hamburger stroganoff would be another easy choice. I've made chicken pot pie variations. If it's for a new mom I would skip onions and fresh garlic because those can be tough on a nursing baby. I think anything chicken would be fine (casserole, whole chicken, chicken parts etc) because it's a pretty universal food without being too high in fat (if someone is watching their diet). Pot roast is another one i think would be good.

I usually do a roast w/potatoes and carrots seasoned w/salt and pepper. Add salad, bread, sometimes green beans, jello for the kids. Cookies for dessert. I like making up extra dough and freezing it in balls for them to make fresh cookies for later. Yum! I once made creme brulee for a mom who has celiac.

A friend once brought us hamburgers and hotdogs with fixings and a carton of ice cream for dessert. My kids enjoyed getting a "regular" meal.

Cinder

I try to get with the family before taking a meal, to find out whether they're burnt out on something (like the myriad pasta/cheese/red sauce combinations). The last few times, I've brought Shepherd's Pie or stew/soup. For vegetarians, I make spanakopita (which my browser does not recognize as a word and suggests, instead, "Spanglish":glare: Really?!?!) and deep freeze it before baking off. Then, they can bake off as many as they would like.

:drool5:

Recipe please-spanish rice and beans and empanadas!

Here you go, you can double up on the sofrito or triple it, I usually do then I freeze it in a Ziploc sandwich baggie. I flatten it out so I can just chop off a chunk easily.

First make a sofrito,

Sofrito

1 green bell pepper chopped fine

1 medium yellow onion chopped fine

3 large garlic cloves (pressed)

1 packet Sazon

2 Tbl. chopped fresh cilantro

1 tsp. Cumin

1 tsp. Basil

2 tsp. salt

1tsp. Corriander

put a frying pan on with a few tablespoons of EVOO and add in the above ingredients.

While everything saute's use a can of Goya pink beans and pour into a small sauce pan. Dice a small white potato and add it in with the can of pink beans (don't drain). Once the sofrito is cooked (veggies soft) at 3 heaping tablespoons to the beans, 1 packet of sazon, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft.

For the rice, in a large saucepan add in 2 cups of rinsed white rice, 1/2 of whats left of the sofrito, and 1/2 can of tomato paste, pour chicken broth( I use Swansons) into the pot,just till it's about 1/2 inch over the rice. Bring to a boil and then cover and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Put 1lb. of ground beef or cooked shredded chicken into the frying pan

with the left over sofrito and brown if ground beef, toss together if using cooked chicken, salt and pepper to taste, drain excess oil. You can buy frozen empanada discs or make them yourself using this recipe. If you buy them already made scroll down.

Homemade Empanada Dough

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Vegetable oil to fry them in

1 cup warm water

Combine all the dry ingredients and, add then all the wet ingredients, you can do this by hand or use a mixer. Mix until formed into a dough ball. Knead it for a couple of minutes and wrap it in plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll out into 4-5 inch round circles.

Put enough filling into the dough (3-4 tablespoons), but don't over stuff. Wet the edges with your finger so you can fold it in half and use a fork to press the edges together. Preheat the oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Fry it for about 3-5 minutes on each side (lightly browned), place them on dish lined with paper-towels.

Enjoy!

My mom always makes a pot roast with root veggies or a vegetarian lasagne for people. My SIL often makes a pot pie or a brisket. I think shepherd's pie sounds good, too.

FWIW: If I were bringing a meal over to a fam. with a new baby I'd want to know if the mom were nursing. If she's breastfeeding I'd probably avoid any spicy meals or dishes with green vegs. Those foods used to upset my nursing baby's tummy like crazy for days. Also, some nursing moms avoid dairy if it upsets baby's tummy, so in that case, cheesy foods would be out, too.

I had a friend bring me a whole salmon when I had my second. We cut it into steaks and froze the extras. It was a nice gift, but I thought kind of strange too. :lol: She just showed up on my door with a whole raw fish. :lol:

Uhh, I love salmon. I have to say though that it would not occur to me to deliver it raw to someone. :D

The visual was helpful too! Have you ever tried the Natural and Complete one? If the store has that, I'd prefer that one for the lower sodium.

I like them both, for us I add a sprinkle of Kosher salt when I buy the Natural on, they taste pretty much the same:)