Menu

For moms who breastfeed their babies...

I'm going to see a friend tomorrow who's asked me some questions. Her baby is 3 mos. old and has NEVER had a bottle. My friend now needs to go in for a medical procedure and her son will not take a bottle.

My friend is asking what to do and for bottle suggestions. She has a week.

I told her I'd get some answers for her from a great group of mamas. ;)

Well mine were always a bit older (around 5 months) but we always skip the bottle and go straight to sippy cups. What worked best for us was using a sippy cup without a no spill feature (like tupperware cups with a lid with a spout) and then put pumped milk in the cup. Then I would have someone else feed them. Basically they had to pour small amount of milk into baby's mouth. baby is looking for mom and the cup (or bottle for that matter) doesn't feel or taste like mom so naturally they won't suck on it. By using a cup and pouring the milk in, my kids learned they could get what they wanted even if it wasn't the manner they liked. They learned pretty quickly to suck on the cup but it is very messy. I hope she gets something figured out.

You can cup-feed (think a medicine cup) or use a syringe, or he may take a bottle when he is hungry and she is simply not available.

I would call the anesthesiologist who will be doing the procedure and discuss exactly what they will be using beforehand. And then, I would look it up on Dr. Hale's database. The fact is, many drugs used in surgery are safe. They are used in part because they have a short half-life, meaning they are rendered down into inactive parts fairly quickly and generally do not affect breast milk. Unless the anesthesiologist is particularly well-versed in lactational pharmacology, however, the advice will be "pump and dump" for 24 hours. Still not earth shattering, but...

Outside of that, if her family is able, bringing baby to the hospital to nurse in pre-op, then back to nurse after she's out of recovery would be good.

This kind of thing can be so hard on a momma who has never used a bottle, but there are alot of options. As Ellie said it really does depend on how long we are talking about. My first son only had one bottle in his life and it was under a similar situation. The key was that I was nowhere around. He definately would not have taken it from me. If the procedure doesn't take long baby may just skip a few nursings and wait for momma. I have heard of this happening a lot. Of course that doesn't help if she will be unavailable for an extended period.

When I had to supplement, we had the best luck with the Playtex nursers (with the collapsible disposable bags). That seemed to be the bottle they would take. I also introduced the sippy cup and that would also work sometimes. I would definitely have someone else other than Mom try to give the bottle.

I would call the anesthesiologist who will be doing the procedure and discuss exactly what they will be using beforehand. And then, I would look it up on Dr. Hale's database. The fact is, many drugs used in surgery are safe. They are used in part because they have a short half-life, meaning they are rendered down into inactive parts fairly quickly and generally do not affect breast milk. Unless the anesthesiologist is particularly well-versed in lactational pharmacology, however, the advice will be "pump and dump" for 24 hours. Still not earth shattering, but...

Outside of that, if her family is able, bringing baby to the hospital to nurse in pre-op, then back to nurse after she's out of recovery would be good.

:iagree:

It would best for mom and baby to bring the baby in, but it might be tricky depending on the meds.

If I were your friend, I would start pumping now. Having a three month old who is exclusively nursing means a good milk supply, and the supply should increase over the course of the week with pumping. Nurse on one side, pump on the other at the same time. This worked best for me.

If she can't get enough milk to cover the time she won't be able to nurse, then you can think about adding formula. It would be good to have a bottle ready but be prepared to use a dropper or a small spoon. If you could get the baby used to another method of feeding first with the familiar breast milk, it might be more successful.

:grouphug: Love to your friend.

Thank you all!

I don't really know much, except that she called me today in tears...I am going over there tomorrow and I'm going to find out more. I believe she's going to be gone all day and may have to be on some medicine for a few days afterwards...I will be sure and give her some of your suggestions, though - those are great.

I didn't have time to read the other responses, but in a nutshell:

1. need to find out type of meds and how long-believe it or not many of the drugs are okay, or maybe at most she'd need to pump and dump for maybe even only hours! Need to ck with her docs on this.

2. Intro bottle or sippy cup from now when possible

3. my ds refused for awhile and then drank when he got hungry enough

4. See if you can get in touch with your local La Leche League-they are the BEST source of info on this type of thing and can give step by step instructions and possible someone from there could even be "on call" if she needs further help. I can't tell you what a Godsend LLL was for me at a few different points in my (long) breastfeeding career! They will be very reassuring to your df and they are incredibly knowledgeable.

We faced this too.

My wife banked some breast-milk in advance, and then did the "pump and dump" until the drugs passed, while Daddy (that would be me :D) figured out how to bottle-feed an infant who'd never dealt with such a thing before. Come to think of it, I'd never bottle-fed a baby either.

It worked.

Bill

The medical community is very misinformed and pump and dump is very, very, rarely needed.

Here is more info. And some more. Surgery and BF Breastfeeding and anesthesia

Worried about anesthesia and breastfeeding BF and general anesthesia

Anesthesia: Want to be armed with info for appointment with MD

Edited by Lovedtodeath

The medical community is very misinformed and pump and dump is very, very, rarely needed.

Our surgeon felt the anesthesia drugs were most likely safe from being passed through breast-milk, but we wanted to err on the side of caution.

It may well have been unnecessary. But I did get a bonding moment out of the deal :D

Bill (who has his maternal side :tongue_smilie:)

Our surgeon felt the anesthesia drugs were most likely safe from being passed through breast-milk, but we wanted to err on the side of caution.

It may well have been unnecessary. But I did get a bonding moment out of the deal :D

Bill (who has his maternal side :tongue_smilie:)

LOL! I am all for things being easier, not harder, but if it worked out for you (and mom might have gotten more rest?) then great!

And it wasn't just in response to your post. I was worried b/c I did not read the others and I didn't want my link to be past up.

LOL! I am all for things being easier, not harder, but if it worked out for you (and mom might have gotten more rest?) then great!

And it wasn't just in response to your post. I was worried b/c I did not read the others and I didn't want my link to be past up.

Mom got way more rest (and she needed it). The little beast knocked back 8 full bottles of milk in one day :D

And come to think of it, we do everything the hard way.

Good link. Our doctor told us essentially the same thing. So there are options out there.

Bill

When 4y.o. ds was 5 weeks old I was unexpectedly admitted to the hospital overnight. We had never used a bottle, and poor DH had to ask a nurse how to feed our little boy. She set him up with a formula sample bottle. The baby was Not Happy. He did eventually eat when he was hungry enough, but it really was a very long night for all of us.

Your friend's baby is a little older than my ds was, but if he has never been apart from his mama, it could mean a long day for him. He will be okay as long as he has a very patient caregiver. He will also eat when he is hungry enough.

:grouphug:

You can also use a thin tube (it is a nursing supplemental nurser tube that breastpump companies and hospitals have in supply) put one end in the bottle, the other end taped to a finger it works like a straw and baby just sucks on the caregiver's finger. This was the only way DD got nutrition for a week.

Some women have a high concentraction of something in their b'milk that, when frozen and thawed, tastes like soap. A strong-willed 3 mo will adamantly refuse to drink such a thing, sending her stressed out mom to the edge of insanity. Ask me how I know.;)

Pumping and storing in the fridge doesn't cause the soapy taste.

Terri

Some women have a high concentraction of something in their b'milk that, when frozen and thawed, tastes like soap. A strong-willed 3 mo will adamantly refuse to drink such a thing, sending her stressed out mom to the edge of insanity. Ask me how I know.;)

Pumping and storing in the fridge doesn't cause the soapy taste.

Terri

Good point! I think there is a way to counteract it... scalding the milk or something to that effect.

I don't mean actually lactating, gulp.

There are these artificial boob things guys can wear that supply milk.

Can I say boob on WTM?

Bill

:lol:Cracking me up!!:lol:

I would check what meds will be given and ask for those ok for breastfeeding mothers. I had to go into Emergency one night and was told they couldn't give me any drugs because of the breastfeeding and sent me home. About an hour later I went back and told them I'd quit breastfeeding. My daughter *wouldn't* take a bottle, much to her Daddy's distress. Later that morning I was transferred up to the children's ward and the nurses actually bothered to check the drug register and told me it was fine to breast feed on those drugs and even set up a cot so my daughter could come in. Until then, my 8 month old had about two bites of food and that's all. They don't always eat even when they're hungry... Definitely check the meds. They may be just fine, or only last for a few hours so your friend can feed before she goes in, and when she comes back out.

Rosie