Menu

At what point...

Guest 4boys

We still and will continue to read to dd, both for school subjects and for fun. She enjoys it, it gives us a great chance to have wonderful discussions with her, and we enjoy it. Also, she's a strong reader, but her comprehension seems to be a bit higher than her reading level right now, so this allows her to experience books she's not yet ready to read herself.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Never! Well, my kids are young but I can't imagine a time when read alouds won't be a part of our school or our home life. Of course, I assume you would still read your kiddos bedtime stories since they're so young. I do see a big benefit to keeping up the homeschool read alouds also though. Honestly, reading aloud is my favorite mothering/schooling activity and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If you haven't already seen this book, I heartily recommend it. Superb!

The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

http://www.amazon.com/Read-Aloud-Handbook-Sixth-Jim-Trelease/dp/0143037390/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231209661&sr=8-1

Hmmm, upon further examination of your circumstances, I wonder if you mean when do you stop reading everything. That's different, I think. We're CM people so I can imagine not reading absolutely everything when I feel like my kids' narrations begin to show good comprehension. Then I would still be sure to read some things aloud and expect good narrations of the things they have read independently. You could give your 6 year old a try on narrations and see how it goes.

Kristina

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

She reads history on her own, and writes short essays on historical topics.

She also studies science on her own. We discuss her science work quite a bit, to make sure that she has really learned it. She takes notes and then studies them, and then I ask her questions about the material--not limiting myself to just her notes. That way she is learning to take better notes, and to think about what might be important to someone else, not just what she thinks is important to herself. (I'm trying to transition her to being able to study for the teacher to some extent by high school, not just to study for herself, which she is already pretty good at.)

She also reads literature on her own and we discuss it, but I'm always reading something literary to her as well. And when we discuss literature, we refer back to it and I read portions of it to her as well, but usually she reads it to herself the first time through it. I read poetry to her, although not as often as I would like to.

I do the TE reviews from Rod and Staff and the oral work with her, instead of just assigning the lessons as some do, but that is because she has some trouble grasping new concepts in grammar without being 'taught'. And, she is 12. I think that it is reasonable that she should be 'taught'--I certainly was at that age and beyond.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

When my oldest reached a certain level of reading skill (about 2nd grade) she did not enjoy being read to. She reasoned that she could read it faster. She still had good comprehension so I let it slide a little so I could focus on the boys. However, there are still words that I catch her saying which are clearly wrong in pronounciation. For example, when reading a package at the store she read diva with a short i, not diva with a long e. I chuckled to myself and then thought, hey she's right, phonetically it should be short i. I'm not sure any of the books I would read to her would help her with that particular word but I'm sure she is missing more complex words. So, I have a New Year's Resolution.

As long as your kids will allow it, read to them. Perhaps if you get the chance to listen to Andrew Putewa from IEW you would even think it would be required no matter what they think. He believes, and I do not disagree, that writing skills are improved when you read out aloud to your children. Besides that, it's fun when you have great books!

Seriously.I've found that my children can remember things better if they read it to themselves.When I have younger dd do narration I have to remind her every single time to listen and pay attention because there will be questions after.

If you wanted to go in a different direction, how about reading together (taking turns)? For example we did this in high school English class for plays, esp Shakespeare.

Personally I find it hard to follow being read to and sometimes start being unsure what language it's in.

I hope we never get to the point where we stop read alouds. This is the best part of homeschooling, imo. The easier things are read by my children independently but the more difficult things (like Robinson Crusoe with my 9 yr. old) are read aloud by me.

I agree! My kids are going on 12 & 10 soon here & lit. read-alouds are a favorite here. I hope to have my son transition to reading his own science next year, and history in the next few years, but I'll keep lit. as long as they'll listen!

Merry :-)

We go through phases where I'm reading aloud to my olders then we stop for a while then we get back to it. Right now I'm reading to them again. I do it mostly at night right before bed. During school hours we start their reading time by switching off on a book that we are reading together. The boy I'm reading with reads the first paragraph on the page then I read the rest of the page then he will read the first paragraph of the next page, and so on. We do that for about 15-20 minutes a day. I'm not expecting to stop that at all.

My oldest was in 5th grade and detested read-alouds from the minute he was brought home. However, I found that he didn't complain about audio-books in the car. So maybe he just doesn't like my voice.:glare: So, techically I have almost never done read-alouds as part of hs with my oldest.

My middle ds enjoyed having me read for a little while. He then also went to audio-books. This ds will still listen to audio-books when he goes to bed at night, but at 15yo there is no way that he would want me to sit in his room and read to him.

My 6yo is fine with a picture book. He claims to enjoy chapter books, but he looses interest before the book is complete. Over the last week of December we listened to the My Father's Dragon trilogy in the car. I had started reading this to him twice and we had only made it through the first story. In the car, however, he would remind me to turn it on.

The nice thing about audio-books is that I enjoy the story more.:D

Mandy

The younger two and I still have read alouds at lunch (usually a lit selection that connects with our history or science), CHOW and often our science text. Plus we still do a family read aloud at bedtime (I think DH is more attatched to this than the kids). My younger two (11 and 9) still look forward to these parts of our day so we continue.

It is tedious work for me, but a child should always hear vocabulary that is a least two grades higher than there reading level.

The purpose is the child is hearing good vocabulary, correct pronunciation, and stronger comprehension.

When they come to that reading level, they can handle it better because you have challenged their brain. It is a wonderful thing to do.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We don't read aloud during lessons but at bedtime I still read to them. They love it and they are 10 and 8. We are currently reading The Marvelous Land of Oz. We all enjoy the story time and I will read to them as long as they let me. I feel it connects us and opens the door to some excellent conversations.