Menu

Do you have a junk/catch all drawer?

Do you have a junk/catch-all drawer?  

1. 1. Do you have a junk/catch-all drawer?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • It's a mess!
    • It's tidy & organized.

I'm a very organized person, but I have a junk/catch all drawer in my kitchen. It's the place I toss coupons, grocery ads, restaurant menus, church directory, keep card games, nail clippers, and the miscellaneous little toy pieces and things.

It drives my dh nuts. As he was looking for the church directory last night he was getting frustrated and told me that the drawer is just not like me. I got the directory for him, and told him I needed a place to keep all that stuff. But now I'm trying to figure out how I can organize it and keep it organized (I do clean it out about twice a month).

That led to me wondering how many of you have a drawer like this, and how common/normal it is. If you have one, is it organized? Or is it a mess? If it's organized, how do you keep it that way?

I'm a very organized person, but I have a junk/catch all drawer in my kitchen. It's the place I toss coupons, grocery ads, restaurant menus, church directory, keep card games, nail clippers, and the miscellaneous little toy pieces and things.

It drives my dh nuts. As he was looking for the church directory last night he was getting frustrated and told me that the drawer is just not like me. I got the directory for him, and told him I needed a place to keep all that stuff. But now I'm trying to figure out how I can organize it and keep it organized (I do clean it out about twice a month).

That led to me wondering how many of you have a drawer like this, and how common/normal it is. If you have one, is it organized? Or is it a mess? If it's organized, how do you keep it that way?

How about a three-ring binder with page protectors as pockets. Each pocket can contain something. One pocket for the church directory, one pocket for coupons, one pocket for receipts, etc. Your book can go in the drawer. If you have room get a couple of those small hook together trays for things like clippers, extra nails/screws, toy pieces...

You mean I'm supposed to organize a junk drawer? Ye gods, when did this memo go out?

So, I guess that answers your question. My junk drawer is also in my kitchen. Like your dh, mine really wants me to organize it better. When he mentioned this to me (and, admittedly, I was right in the throes of PMS) I responded, um, less than graciously.

I can find what I want in there; however, I suppose I could make an effort to organize it a wee bit better -- just as soon as I finish the ironing. Now, where did I put my iron?

No I don't have a junk drawer. Instead I have this system where we put crap on every flat surface of our house until there are piles of junk everywhere......:glare: Then before we have company come we run around with a big laundry basket and shove it all in there and hide it in our bedroom until "later". I wouldn't recommend it though....:tongue_smilie:

I have more than one...unfortunately. There is ususally one in about each room that has drawers. :(

My drawers are shallow, so the mess is usually small toys, pens/pencils, and other misc small crap that we hardly use or ever look for. I do not have a big huge junk drawer with papers in it or anything. I file those in a filing cabinet.

Edited by Tree House Academy

No I don't have a junk drawer. Instead I have this system where we put crap on every flat surface of our house until there are piles of junk everywhere......:glare: Then before we have company come we run around with a big laundry basket and shove it all in there and hide it in our bedroom until "later". I wouldn't recommend it though....:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

And i have 2 junk drawers on top of it :LOL: :tongue_smilie:

We have a junk drawer in our kitchen. It is not organized at all! It has things like tire patch kit, bug balm, odd and ends nails, screws, picture hangers, eye hooks, etc., votive candles, matches, rubber bands, dh extra reading glasses, air freshener (disc type things from Target), dog nail clipper, batteries (new and used), old throat drops (yuk!), and I am sure there are some other misc. items that I don't even know about. :)

I have a different drawer for the phone book and other paper items of that sort. It is a bit easier to find things in this drawer. :)

My junk drawer actually doesn't contain paper! It's where I put the hard to categorize little things that don't really have a home. It contains batteries that still work, but have been used, board game pieces that I keep around as spares, a calculator, some office supplies that I don't want the kids to have access to when they use the computer (they always use up all my post-its!), a spare garage door opener, a couple of disposable cameras that I really should get developed, and hand creams from various gift sets I've received over the years.

That's hilarious! Thanks for posting that, makes me feel better about my junk counter!

Isn't the point of a junk drawer that you are allowed to keep it disorganized until some future date when you decide you have nothing better to spend time on so you clean it out? That's the way ours works ;).

How about a three-ring binder with page protectors as pockets. Each pocket can contain something. One pocket for the church directory, one pocket for coupons, one pocket for receipts, etc. Your book can go in the drawer. If you have room get a couple of those small hook together trays for things like clippers, extra nails/screws, toy pieces...

Thanks for this suggestion! I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I'm going to make a Circa book for the drawer. Once the paper is contained I'll think about little drawer trays for the miscellaneous junk that I throw in there.

I do that too! Only I do have a junk drawer, and that is actually organized.

I just bought one of those two-layer drawer organizer thingies. It's brilliant- lots of little sections for paperclips, etc., and a couple bigger compartments for scissors and pencils. Space in the back of the drawer for small tools.

I have a separate drawer for directories and phone books.

Well, my junk drawer was a mess until dh couldn't take it anymore. He bought the little compartmented containers that you often find in tackle boxes. They're big enough to only fit 2 in each drawer (OK, I have 2 junk drawers!), and they have lids so putting things away and getting things out of them is something you have to intentionally do. You can't just throw stuff into the drawer anymore. This is where miscellaney of all sorts is kept - picture hooks, shoelaces, buttons, parts found that no one knows what they go to but must surely be important, super glue, batteries, outlet plug covers (don't ask me why I can't get rid of those yet), assorted nuts, bolts and screws, assorted tools, etc, etc, etc.

This is a much better arrangement for all.

My DH keeps trying to convince me to have a junk drawer. When we moved into this house 2 years ago I said no junk drawer. He has a garage so extra screws and string and fuses and all the what nots can get put away. He seems to now know where to find his screw drivers or wrench or whatever...in the toolkit, in the garage. I keep a few pizza menus in the phone book, but we don't do a lot of take away. My biggest issue is with not in use cell phone chargers that always seem to hang about.

I don't, but my dw does. ;) I inherited a secretary desk from my mother that has lots of little bitty drawers that are just the right size for random stuff. Most of them have some rhyme or reason (checkbook, stamps, Post-It notes), but there's one drawer in the desk that I have to ignore or it would drive me right round the bend. I figure it's one very small space in an otherwise organized home, and I need to get over it.

I missed this post earlier! This is so our house (except we have a junk drawer, too).