Menu

Is this scary to you

Scarlett

22 hours ago, wathe said:

But, but, but.....milk comes in bags!  (I'm trying to be funny again)

I haven't seen local milk in a jug in at least 40 years.   My kids would have no idea what you were talking about.

It's funny you mention that.  My kids are like "what's with that, Canadians drink milk out of plastic bags!"  And you'd think they'd know better, having traveled a lot and coming from a very different culture themselves.  😛

(Side story.  On my first trip to India in my 20s - which was also my first trip out of the US excluding southeast Canada - I was asked what I'd like to drink.  "Do you have milk?"  "Yes, shall I heat some up for you?"  "No, I'll just drink it cold."  Me thinking I was trying to be low-maintenance.  😛  Later I was informed that it was actually quite a lot of work to give me cold milk, since they don't keep it chilled.  Who knew?)

Edited by SKL
I'm directionally challenged.
  • Like 1

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be completely honest, I disagree with you about the sane approach being to set up cameras and such. Honestly, I would be getting a cooler and leaving an assortment of sandwiches and shelf stable foods and bottles of water at the end of my driveway with a note saying they are welcome to it. 

And I am honestly flabbergasted that anyone would think that is NOT the rational, reasonable, kind, welcoming thing to do.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Amira said:

I miss bagged milk when I’m in the US.  

When I was growing up, milk came in bags in my home country. The tubs with the milk bags in the store were gross; some bags would leak, the bags were wet; you had to hold them up and let them drip to see if there's a hole. Ugh. No fond memories. 

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

When I was growing up, milk came in bags in my home country. The tubs with the milk bags in the store were gross; some bags would leak, the bags were wet; you had to hold them up and let them drip to see if there's a hole. Ugh. No fond memories. 

Most of my American friends who have lived in places with bagged milk feel the same way you do.  And I agree, there are drawbacks to bagged milk, but there’s so much less waste. The bags I’ve bought in some countries are much more reliable now too.

37 minutes ago, wathe said:

But, but, but.....milk comes in bags!  (I'm trying to be funny again)

I haven't seen local milk in a jug in at least 40 years.   My kids (and many younger Ontarians, I suspect) would have no idea what you were talking about.

It's an Ontario thing to have milk in bags. I never saw it until I moved here in the mid 90s. It's only for 'bulk' milk, though. The cartons are pretty similar to jugs. And plenty of jugs for juice and other beverages. 

Edited by wintermom

24 minutes ago, Terabith said:

To be completely honest, I disagree with you about the sane approach being to set up cameras and such. Honestly, I would be getting a cooler and leaving an assortment of sandwiches and shelf stable foods and bottles of water at the end of my driveway with a note saying they are welcome to it. 

And I am honestly flabbergasted that anyone would think that is NOT the rational, reasonable, kind, welcoming thing to do.  

My mom probably would. My dad will be more like me and find other safer ways to be a good human. 
Someone broke into a car parked in the yard of the trailer. Another neighbor had an attempt to break into his detached garage. 

24 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Yes, this still happens here with the milk bags. We have 3 clear bags inside a larger bag that makes a total of 4 litres. Double bagging helps reduce the mess with leaks.

I'm currently on the market for the unlimited supply of milk for my 2 boys. They go through 4 litres of milk in one day. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SKL said:

I thought this was funny.  😛

This part isn't so funny:

almost 66,000 U.S. tons of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable materials were imported to Canada from Michigan in 2016, almost 16% of the total of those types of materials the nation received from the U.S. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Amira said:

I miss bagged milk when I’m in the US.  

Really? I hated it--what a pain. I do still use the glass container I bought for it though.

Fun fact: the only Canadian provinces that sell bagged milk are parts of Ontario, the maritimes and Quebec. It's sold in containers in most of the country.

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Really? I hated it--what a pain. I do still use the glass container I bought for it though.

Fun fact: the only Canadian provinces that sell bagged milk are parts of Ontario, the maritimes and Quebec. It's sold in containers in most of the country.

And it's only for the 4 litre quantity of milk. Otherwise we have cartons for litre and half litre. 

There are some handy uses for the milk bags. I use the big, outside bag for dog poop. My friend washes out the clear bags and uses them like ziplock baggies. 

18 minutes ago, wintermom said:

This part isn't so funny:

almost 66,000 U.S. tons of hazardous waste and hazardous recyclable materials were imported to Canada from Michigan in 2016, almost 16% of the total of those types of materials the nation received from the U.S. 

The US is a net importer of waste.  Canada is a net exporter.

I think the message is, maybe you shouldn't be on such a high horse.

Edited by SKL

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

My DH, who is a well respected professor in environmental political science says basically all the recycling we regular people do is pretty worthless in saving the planet. Governments need to do big changes to reduce wear and tear on the planet. 

We still recycle and compost and are down to 1-2 bags of true garbage a week. But we didn't think we are saving the world.

If this is so, shouldn't people be working to push governments to at least try and do something - at every level (local, state/provincial, federal)? What is your dh encouraging his students and wider audience to do? He would obviously have his finger on the local pulse in the US. 

20 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If this is so, shouldn't people be working to push governments to at least try and do something - at every level (local, state/provincial, federal)? What is your dh encouraging his students and wider audience to do? He would obviously have his finger on the local pulse in the US. 

Yes, people and political parties should be working towards this. Neither party is great at it though. They are beholden to the giant companies who produce the waste. 

His job is to churn out people who take jobs in government and industry and work from the inside. And that he does in his Masters degree program. Some of the the PhDs too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, regentrude said:

Our city has stopped picking up recyclables because the revenue from selling them did not warrant the expense of collecting. Those of use who care to collect their recyclables can drive them to the recycling center. Most people won't. 

My community has recycling but my cousin lives in a city in the next county that stopped for the same reason as your city. Still, even where I live not everything is accepted. We do have a local non-profit that accepts other recyclable items but while convenient to me, their drop off locations aren't convenient for those who live in the more rural areas of the county.

20 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Every place I have lived in the US in at least the past 30 years has had recycling 

The largest municipality in Volusia County, Florida (for geographical reference, it's the county that includes Daytona Beach) suspended their recycling program five years ago:

"As of February 1, 2019, the City of Deltona suspended weekly residential recycling pickup. The primary factor is the decreased market demand for raw recyclable material, such as plastics, glass, and paper. These materials are no longer being purchased by processing countries, such as China. All discarded materials set out curbside will be taken to the Volusia County landfill. Please note that the residential recycling bins are the property of Waste Pro. However; we are asking that residents hold on to them at present. The City of Deltona is carefully watching the marketplace and hopes that the program can be revived in the future."

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's an Ontario thing to have milk in bags. I never saw it until I moved here in the mid 90s. It's only for 'bulk' milk, though. The cartons are pretty similar to jugs. And plenty of jugs for juice and other beverages. 

5 hours ago, MEmama said:

Oh, I know that bagged milk is regional -- that's why I used "local" and "Ontario".

But, the regions with bag milk together represent nearly 2/3 of the total population of Canada.   Pick a Canadian at random, and odds are that their milk comes in bags rather than jugs.