Menu

Rising seniors

My youngest will be a senior this next year. She has already decided to do an AA at our local community college. She'll be taking her math and science there over the next year.

Her ultimate goal is a MSLIS. She hopes to be a librarian specializing in the collection (not program/forward facing).

I'm so thankful that after 2 application/acceptance seasons (one during spring 2020!), I won't have to do much of anything for this one.

• Like 3

I've got a rising senior. They know two schools they want to apply to (both likely admits). I've told them that I'd like them to find more, so that we can better compare aid packages, but so far they'd rather do anything else besides poke around on college websites.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest daughter is a rising senior!

This is my first time through the college application process as a homeschooling parent. I am stressed, but preparing as much as I possibly can. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 1:03 PM, EKT said:

My oldest daughter is a rising senior!

This is my first time through the college application process as a homeschooling parent. I am stressed, but preparing as much as I possibly can. 

Congratulations! I hope you get to enjoy it too, it can be a lot of fun (and funny.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DD applied to our state flagship yesterday and was accepted today. We received a notification via e-mail. It all feels too easy and a little anticlimactic. She still needs to apply to the Honors College, though. That requires a little more work. Plus, there's scholarships to apply for. Overall, we feel relieved and a lot less stressed. Happy about that. 🙂 

ETA: For what it's worth, we did not need to submit course descriptions. I was fretting about that. We went to the university's open house/tour for high schoolers this past April. We made contacts and where encouraged there. When we came home, I e-mailed DD's regional rep about some questions pertaining to homeschoolers, dual enrollment transfer credits, and whether DD would be exempt from their foreign-language requirement. Developing this contact built my confidence in applying as a homeschooler. When it came time to submit DD's transcript, which was the most difficult aspect because there was no clear way for homeschoolers to do so, I simply e-mailed it to the same rep. She had it in the system within minutes. My suggestion...attend the campus tour and develop contacts ahead of time. The Honors College presentation we found especially helpful.

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

DD applied to our state flagship yesterday and was accepted today. We received a notification via e-mail. It all feels too easy and a little anticlimactic. She still needs to apply to the Honors College, though. That requires a little more work. Plus, there's scholarships to apply for. Overall, we feel relieved and a lot less stressed. Happy about that. 🙂 

It is.  The only thing that is tougher is small acceptance rate schools and competitive merit.  Those things are definitely selective and need to be approached as such.  But your avg directional u, especially, is simple in most states.

• Like 3

It turns out my kid is really interested in my alma mater. But we're out of state, and the price has gone up so much, so it's out of our price range, even with the rather large automatic scholarship they are eligible for. Unless kid earns one of the rare full tuition scholarships. And the scholarship requires writing an essay. This is my writing adverse kid. And the scholarship essay is, "Ask and answer your own question!"

33 minutes ago, silver said:

It turns out my kid is really interested in my alma mater. But we're out of state, and the price has gone up so much, so it's out of our price range, even with the rather large automatic scholarship they are eligible for. Unless kid earns one of the rare full tuition scholarships. And the scholarship requires writing an essay. This is my writing adverse kid. And the scholarship essay is, "Ask and answer your own question!"

These are the challenges and choices that I find so good for maturing our kids during senior year. They really have to own the process ( do I write an essay that may enable me to reach my goal or not?) For my boys in particular, the applying process was a rite of passage that I hadn’t expected. The essays caused them to reflect about their goals in a way they never would before it was the key to what they wanted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a rising senior but we have no idea what we are doing yet. He is leaning toward a gap year, but he would likely be going into a design-related major which means that there is typically a portfolio. He has one, but if we wait a year, it will be out of date. So I am inclined to ask him to apply and then defer admission. I think the biggest hold ups are that he is not 100% on the major and that he doesn't want to write the essays.  Unfortunately, at least one of the schools requires common app so we cannot escape the essay requirement. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A whole slew of applications are now in! As of right now, I think there's only one school left that they are interested in applying to. 

We have official scores sent off to one school that definitely needed them and the other that is a top choice where it wasn't clear if they were okay with self-reported scores or not. I think the other schools are test blind or are okay with self-reported scores. I guess they'll let us know if they need official scores. Part of why we got them in nearly 3 weeks before the EA deadline was to have time to get things sent that they want official versions of.

And now we wait. I know at least one has rolling admissions where they will let you know in 1-2 weeks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, silver said:

A whole slew of applications are now in! As of right now, I think there's only one school left that they are interested in applying to. 

We have official scores sent off to one school that definitely needed them and the other that is a top choice where it wasn't clear if they were okay with self-reported scores or not. I think the other schools are test blind or are okay with self-reported scores. I guess they'll let us know if they need official scores. Part of why we got them in nearly 3 weeks before the EA deadline was to have time to get things sent that they want official versions of.

And now we wait. I know at least one has rolling admissions where they will let you know in 1-2 weeks. 

Wow. Congratulations!

Mine has only applied and gotten into Northern Arizona U and only because they required zero essays. 

18 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Wow. Congratulations!

Mine has only applied and gotten into Northern Arizona U and only because they required zero essays. 

To be fair, the ones applied to so far do not require any essays. A few required a paragraph response to things like "why this major?" or a diversity question. But none required essays.

I'm pretty sure that mine is going to choose to not apply to a school that could potentially give them a full ride partially because of the essay requirements (for the school and scholarships both). There are other reasons this school is not a high priority to them (wants a more residential campus than it is, slightly further away than they want to go, not as close to outdoor activities that they would like, etc), but I do think the essay is a factor.

My son decided this last week that he wants to go to school next year versus the gap year. 

So I spent the weekend getting the Common App up. I already completed the documentation but I do need to edit it/review it.  

I think he is going to apply to community college and 4 year schools and then we will decide later where to land.

There is a possibility he can live on campus where my oldest is while attending community college. That might be a good fit for him.

The 4 year he is considering has a co-op program but they recently made a change to the co-op program that puts a lot more of the burden of finding jobs on the students, and from what I understand, the curriculum is already very demanding. Trying to find a sublet every other semester might be too much for my kid too. The job experience would be awesome but he could end up all over the country. We are still addressing his anxiety (meds/counseling) so I am not sure what to think about that.  

His field of interest (graphic design) does not require a four year degree.