Menu

Would you go to urgent care?

We are in FL on vacation. We spent a hot day outside yesterday. The 1 year old was fine all day, but he vomited several times last night. I’m trying to decide if we should take him to urgent care. I see vomiting can be related to sun poisoning. What else should I be asking myself? Would you have him checked out?

Posted (edited)

Ugh, I would with a little one just to be safe but that's a tough decision.  How is he now?  Is he drinking?  Is he done vomiting?  If he perks up and is acting normal, I'd just keep an eye on him but I'd be worried about dehydration if he continues vomiting.  But always better to be safe than sorry, too.

ETA  Hope he is better very soon.

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Ugh, I would with a little one just to be safe but that's a tough decision.  How is he now?  Is he drinking?  Is he done vomiting?  If he perks up and is acting normal, I'd just keep an eye on him but I'd be worried about dehydration if he continues vomiting.  But always better to be safe than sorry, too.

ETA  Hope he is better very soon.

Thanks. He vomited about 4 times, but he is still asleep and not up for the day, so I’m not sure how he is feeling. He didn’t have a wet diaper during the night. 

I would see how he is this morning. Is he acting normally? Is he drinking and peeing okay? Did he complain of anything or act abnormally last night before bed?

Sun poisoning is the result of a severe sunburn. Does he have a bad sunburn with blistering? If so I would lean towards urgent care with vomiting. If he was well protected and hydrated, I would probably just continue to hydrate and only take him In if there were signs of dehydration. If he’s lethargic, not peeing, continues to vomit during the day, is hot to the touch, confused at any time, I would go to the ED and not urgent care.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks. He vomited about 4 times, but he is still asleep and not up for the day, so I’m not sure how he is feeling. He didn’t have a wet diaper during the night. 

If it has been 8 hours without a wet diaper, I would go for sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I would see how he is this morning. Is he acting normally? Is he drinking and peeing okay? Did he complain of anything or act abnormally last night before bed?

Sun poisoning is the result of a severe sunburn. Does he have a bad sunburn with blistering? If so I would lean towards urgent care with vomiting. If he was well protected and hydrated, I would probably just continue to hydrate and only take him In if there were signs of dehydration. If he’s lethargic, not peeing, continues to vomit during the day, is hot to the touch, confused at any time, I would go to the ED and not urgent care.

Thanks I was hoping you would weigh in. He is not severely sunburned or blistered. We went to the the beach and such and he wore a rash guard and sunscreen the day before. He may be a bit pink, but not severe. Yesterdays plan ended up being lunch and then the aquarium. Lunch ended up being outside and covered, but a long hot wait. The aquarium was hot and had outside parts. I wasn’t expecting any of that so no sunscreen. He sweated a lot and was acting normal all day. 

Edited by Elizabeth86

I’ve also never heard of Sun poisoning, heat stroke, heat exhaustion usually manifest with lack of sweat, confusion, less urination etc. it seems more likely he may have a gastro type bug. Can you get electrolytes in? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For future reference, another way to get someone to talk you through this is to call your insurance hotline. The number will be on your insurance card, and they will have a nurse on call who can talk you through your situation. I hope he feels better soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

is he looking better, the same, or worse?
have you tried Pedialyte for hydration?
if he isn't getting better, I would take him in.

He’s napping. We will see how he is when he wakes up.

• Like 1

My youngest son reacts very similarly to spending extended periods outside in the heat - he vomits once or twice, sleeps, and then bounces back well as long as he's in a cooler place. 

I'd keep him well hydrated and definitely out of the sun for the next couple of days to allow the body to recover. Kind of a bummer when on vacation, but perhaps you can find indoor activities with a/c to enjoy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

For future reference, another way to get someone to talk you through this is to call your insurance hotline. The number will be on your insurance card, and they will have a nurse on call who can talk you through your situation. I hope he feels better soon. 

In my experience they always tell you to go in.  I wish they were more helpful.  Once when I was a young mom and honestly didn't know and the Internet was new too for the record, I had a kid with deep sores in the mouth.  They were from something like falling and biting their cheek.   The initial injury wasn't a big deal and had passed but now they had these sores.  I think my mil suggested peroxide in the mouth. I can't remember for sure where the idea came from but if it was her she hasn't kept up like at all with safety stuff.  Anyways I called the nurse line and then the nurse at the peds office and both said they needed to be seen.  DR came in after you know hours of wait with 3 kids under 3 and said oh just have her swish with some peroxide and it will heal right up. 🤦‍♀️

Next story much more recent.  Daughter got stung by a scorpion and was having a systemic reaction. I've been burned before by insurance not paying for what they decided wasn't a good enough reason for going to the ER.  So I called on my way to confirm and she told me to stop the car and call an ambulance. I was around the corner. That would absolutely take longer but she kept arguing but I kept asking is this an approval for an ER visit?  Which she finally grudgingly gave.  Arrived at ER they took her right back and then only observed for hours until it calmed down.  Luckily it was covered.

I think liability has made this not as useful as it could be.  

• Like 4

I also have kids ridiculously sensitive to the heat and sun even when it's not super hot.   I'm glad your son is doing better. At that age of they weren't still breastfeeding I would probably err on the side of going in especially without diapers but not necessarily in sleep as at that age my kids definitely held it during sleep.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, busymama7 said:

In my experience they always tell you to go in.  

Really? Ours has given us advice and told us to go in at xyz markers  like talked us through alternating dosing of tylenol and ibuprofen when middle child gad a high fever from what turned out to be roseola.  In fact they have only advised us to go.in once which turned out to be DH's gallbladder necrotizing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

Really? Ours has given us advice and told us to go in at xyz markers  like talked us through alternating dosing of tylenol and ibuprofen when middle child gad a high fever from what turned out to be roseola.  In fact they have only advised us to go.in once which turned out to be DH's gallbladder necrotizing.

I'm so glad that has been your experience.  It's what I wish ours was but it hasn't been.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I also have kids ridiculously sensitive to the heat and sun even when it's not super hot.   I'm glad your son is doing better. At that age of they weren't still breastfeeding I would probably err on the side of going in especially without diapers but not necessarily in sleep as at that age my kids definitely held it during sleep.  

Yeah, several of mine (including this one stays dry until morning, but not always)