Menu

uber/lyft. . .

gardenmom5

please be gentle.

I'm consider Uber/lyft or a shuttle or something.  I've never used one before, if I wasn't being picked up, I was renting a car.  (and considering what car rentals are going for because the eclipse is coming . . . uh, no.)  Or a hotel shuttle.

I need instructions.  I'm flying into DFW.  I need step by step instructions.  think of explaining things to your elderly mother . . . 
if my flight lands on time at 2:40 (Central time), that would be maybe 3:15-3:30 for a pick-up. (given walking time, and waiting for luggage.) 

dd said she could pick me up - but she's working that night and it would probably be better she not spend 90 minutes to the airport and back.

Get both apps on your phone. There are dedicated pick up areas for ride share services at the airport. I wouldn’t recommend scheduling ahead of time bc that usually costs more. Once you arrive and have your bag, you can see how much each service would cost for your ride and pick. You should be able to meet a driver within minutes. The apps are super easy to use. 

• Like 3

Gardenmom 

what football mom and arcadia said plus this is specific to  DFW airport.

Make sure to pickup your bags from baggage claim and after that you can put a request for any of the chosen ride share, Then get out of baggage claim area and look for the designated area that says rideshare pick up then go out to the curb and walk outside you will see cabs and hotel shuttles and you will see many spots that says ride share pick up and you will be able to put a pin on where you are located so your driver can spot you and you will be given the description of the vehicle and driver.

We have another alternative to uber and Lyft called alto,ridealto.com company owned cars and is ride share with a membership. We have been very pleased with their service and cars.Its membership based and have a 30 day free trail.Pm if you have more questions.

• Like 3

I agree about waiting till you have your luggage and are at the ride share location to call your ride. It is outside of baggage claim. On a middle area of the drive. I used Uber. Dallas changes terminals and gates for landing all the time. There are also numbers outside showing where you are. You can watch your car travel to the airport on your app. If it says they ve arrived and you don’t see them you can text or call the driver. This rarely happens. It will show you options that say  be there in ten minutes. Once you select, that time often changes and then is accurate and follows the car. You check the car and license plate before you get in. The driver generally asks if you are gardenmom. The driver generally gets out and helps with your luggage. Any other questions? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Starr said:

I agree about waiting till you have your luggage and are at the ride share location to call your ride. It is outside of baggage claim. On a middle area of the drive. I used Uber. Dallas changes terminals and gates for landing all the time. There are also numbers outside showing where you are. You can watch your car travel to the airport on your app. If it says they ve arrived and you don’t see them you can text or call the driver. This rarely happens. It will show you options that say  be there in ten minutes. Once you select, that time often changes and then is accurate and follows the car. You check the car and license plate before you get in. The driver generally asks if you are gardenmom. The driver generally gets out and helps with your luggage. Any other questions? 

Terminal E. (same terminal, same gate, every. single. time.  I don't fly American.) Once you go through those doors to baggage claim  . . . there's nothing else inside.

Gardenmom, if I recall, you will want to download the app before your trip. You will probably need to create an account, or st the very least, enter your credit card information into the app. Don’t wait until you’re at the airport.

I’m only saying this because you said you needed step by step instructions. Once you download the app, it’s not difficult but it might take a little bit of time. 

• Like 3

I would just add to be sure and check the license plate number and type of car before getting in. The app will tell you that a “white Mazda, license plate ABC123” will be picking you up. Make sure that matches before getting in. I’ve never used Lyft, but in the Uber app, there’s also an option to notify someone of your choosing of your location. 

• Like 2

Once you’re there it’s not as confusing as you think. Download the app before you go and enter all your credit card info so you’ll be ready. 
After you get your bags, look for the ride share pickup signs at the terminal exit.  When you get out there request your ride. They’ll be plenty of cars available for pickups at an airport. 
some airports have designated parking spots for the ride shares that you walk to. Not sure about DFW. But you can call the driver through the app if you can’t find them. Or they’ll call you if they get there and you’re not there. Make sure you check the make and license plate so you’re in the right car. 
just double check you have the destination address correct when you enter your ride info. I always get paranoid I typed in something wrong and I’m going to the wrong place 😂 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

I would just add to be sure and check the license plate number and type of car before getting in. The app will tell you that a “white Mazda, license plate ABC123” will be picking you up. Make sure that matches before getting in. I’ve never used Lyft, but in the Uber app, there’s also an option to notify someone of your choosing of your location. 

Yes. Wait for them to say your name when you open the door. You can also say theirs (the app gives this info before pick up).

When your ride starts, keep the app open, look at the map and click the blue safety shield (in Uber). Once there, choose the option to Share Your Ride and send it to someone else so they can follow along.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Gardenmom, if I recall, you will want to download the app before your trip. You will probably need to create an account, or st the very least, enter your credit card information into the app. Don’t wait until you’re at the airport.

I’m only saying this because you said you needed step by step instructions. Once you download the app, it’s not difficult but it might take a little bit of time. 

got uber and lyft downloaded.  Haven't set up accounts yet (haven't made it that far.)  Not keen on putting CC info on my phone . . but I already have an airline card on my phone so I guess I'll use it . . . pretty sure I get miles from that 😄  . . . (of course, my amazon cc is in my amazon account . . .)

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Yes. Wait for them to say your name when you open the door. You can also say theirs (the app gives this info before pick up).

When your ride starts, keep the app open, look at the map and click the blue safety shield (in Uber). Once there, choose the option to Share Your Ride and send it to someone else so they can follow along.

what is that?   I assume that's a safety feature?

49 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

The first time I used Uber by myself I was terrified, but I made it through. Do you live in a place that has Uber so you could practice in advance? 

Lots of uber and lyft.  I fly out early Monday morning - and too much going on between now and then.  I don't have time.

2dd was like "oh, I can get you at ___ time". . . which was only about 20 minutes after I expect to be ready, ,so I thought I'll just wait.   (and drive her car back ((so she's not driving)) and pick up take-out, give her a break before she works Monday night.)   nope, not going to work, the boys have swim lessons 30 minutes after she said she could pick me up and it takes 45 minutes from the airport to her house.

So back to uber/lyft.

Does anyone have a preference or are they about the same?

Just now, gardenmom5 said:

Not keen on putting CC info on my phone

My DS19 uses uber gift cards instead of putting his CC info. I also use uber gift cards for mine. 
Here most of the Uber drivers are also Lyft drivers so no difference to us. 

• Like 1

Oh - do you need to tip the driver?  what percentage?

any other info I should know?  does it make much of a difference for the type of car you input?

It's just me, 25" checked bag, 16" under seater (crossing my fingers it works better than my backpack), and a purse.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

My DS19 uses uber gift cards instead of putting his CC info. I also use uber gift cards for mine. 
Here most of the Uber drivers are also Lyft drivers so no difference to us. 

I wouldn't know much   to put on a gift card?  where do you buy them?

it's a 45 minute trip.   

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I wouldn't know much   to put on a gift card?  where do you buy them?

it's a 45 minute trip.   

I buy the egift card online from Target since I already have a Target account. A 45 mins trip to SFO typically cost us $60. I just get a $100 gift card to load.

https://www.target.com/p/uber-gift-card-email-delivery/-/A-52960549

ETA: we typically tip 10% round up to nearest $5. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

got uber and lyft downloaded.  Haven't set up accounts yet (haven't made it that far.)  Not keen on putting CC info on my phone . . but I already have an airline card on my phone so I guess I'll use it . . . pretty sure I get miles from that 😄  . . . (of course, my amazon cc is in my amazon account . . .)

what is that?   I assume that's a safety feature?

Lots of uber and lyft.  I fly out early Monday morning - and too much going on between now and then.  I don't have time.

2dd was like "oh, I can get you at ___ time". . . which was only about 20 minutes after I expect to be ready, ,so I thought I'll just wait.   (and drive her car back ((so she's not driving)) and pick up take-out, give her a break before she works Monday night.)   nope, not going to work, the boys have swim lessons 30 minutes after she said she could pick me up and it takes 45 minutes from the airport to her house.

So back to uber/lyft.

Does anyone have a preference or are they about the same?

Yes, the blue shield is a safety feature. We have found that it’s hard to find the Share Your Ride option in the moment, but learned that it’s the blue shield on the map recently— very helpful.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I saw lyft gives me the option for paypal.  haven't started setting up an uber account.

Just choose one or the other. If this is not something you expect to be doing often, and you feel short on time, just pick either Uber OR Lyft. I've only ever used Uber, but I imagine Lyft is similar. 

After the ride is over, they will ask if you want to tip the drive (Yes, you do). They will also ask you to rate your experience (they will rate how good a passenger you are also).

• Like 2

@gardenmom5 you got this. I unexpectedly had to figure out how to use Uber after I landed in New Orleans and was scared to death. My dd walked me through downloading the app over the phone at the airport and from there it was super easy! My driver was an older lady (I was able to request female driver I think) and she had just dropped off a passenger at the airport so was two minutes away. I tipped the minimum in the app, but she was so wonderful that i wanted to make sure she got a good one, so I left the rest as cash tip so she wouldn’t have to report it. 😉

You can do this!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, saraha said:

@gardenmom5 you got this. I unexpectedly had to figure out how to use Uber after I landed in New Orleans and was scared to death.  

You can do this!

On 3/30/2024 at 7:31 AM, City Mouse said:

The first time I used Uber by myself I was terrified, but I made it through.  

I appreciate knowing I'm not alone.

I'm feeling much more confident today.   I'll get everything set up, or finish while I'm waiting at the airport to board tomorrow morning. . . .  

Thank you for everyone's information.

• Like 1