Menu

Soap question

When you are staying at another person's house for a few days, And they have placed a towel and a bar of soap on the guest bed for you to use while you are there. Are you meant to take the soap home with you at the end of the visit or leave it in the  bathroom?

The bathroom already has new bars of soap everywhere soap is needed

Basically I am staying at a relative's house at the moment and am not sure of the polite thing to do with the soap when I leave tomorrow. Take it with me or leave it as extra in the bathroom

Thank you

Edited by Melissa in Australia

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The bathroom already has new bars of soap everywhere soap is needed

I’ll keep the one on the guest bed as a souvenir.  I have only encountered new soap on a guest bed when it is hand soap in the guest bathroom, so as an optional choice. However, you could just leave the unopened bar soap in the guest bathroom if you don’t wish to bring it home. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Maybe I have been unintentionally rude to my guests forever cause I have never thought to leave soap on the bed for them

I think it was left on the bed because the bathroom is a general use one. I think your relative is very polite since the person already put new bars of soap in the general bathroom. I don’t think you are rude. 
As for the opened bar soap, I would say it depends. If you like the soap, take it home in a ziplock or container. If not, leave it at the soap dish/holder in the bathroom. For hygiene purposes, my husband doesn’t like bar soaps and prefers the soap dispensers. So he would be all too happy if guests take any used bar soap home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think it was left on the bed because the bathroom is a general use one. I think your relative is very polite since the person already put new bars of soap in the general bathroom. I don’t think you are rude. 
As for the opened bar soap, I would say it depends. If you like the soap, take it home in a ziplock or container. If not, leave it at the soap dish/holder in the bathroom. For hygiene purposes, my husband doesn’t like bar soaps and prefers the soap dispensers. So he would be all too happy if guests take any used bar soap home. 

I don't think @Melissa in Australiais rude either.  I always provide soap bar/shampoo/conditioner/body wash in the shower as well as a guest basket filled with travel sizes/samples of those items plus a couple of toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, lotion, etc.  If someone opened a bar of soap and left a partially used bar I'd prefer to throw it out for hygiene issues like your DH, but my DH would prefer to keep it and use it because he's more frugal than concerned about shared germs or whatever.  So that's why I think it could go either way.  If you know it will be tossed and want it, I'd take it if it's not too messy.  Otherwise, I think it doesn't matter either way.  

ETA - the guest basket is in the bathroom 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally up to you! And of course you’re not rude to not leave soap out, most people travel with their preferred personal hygiene products anyway. It’s probably just a nice touch that made the host feel like she was doing something special. I used to love doing that or choccies or something when we were first married and kid free and I had a guest room!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Oh my gosh, I haven't been leaving guest soap for my guests ever! I didn't know I was supposed to! Egads. 

Same! I didn’t know some people consider soap that’s been used by someone else unsanitary. I mean, I guess it’s true I wouldn’t use it if it were an old bar left behind in a hotel room or some thing, but I wouldn’t think twice at my family member’s house. I give it a rinse before using and figure it’s clean after that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KSera said:

Same! I didn’t know some people consider soap that’s been used by someone else unsanitary. I mean, I guess it’s true I wouldn’t use it if it were an old bar left behind in a hotel room or some thing, but I wouldn’t think twice at my family member’s house. I give it a rinse before using and figure it’s clean after that. 

This

Cause it is SOAP ,therefore clean in my mind 🤣

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

This

Cause it is SOAP ,therefore clean in my mind 🤣

My husband doesn’t like the soap scum on the soap dish 🤦‍♀️ For me, I am more concerned about whether I am sensitive to soap (bar or liquid) that I have not used before than whether the bar soap is “clean”.

25 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My husband doesn’t like the soap scum on the soap dish 🤦‍♀️ 

I don't either.  I always scrub them before/after guests.  I bought a bunch of really cheap plastic soap holders a long time ago and still have a lot of new ones ready to use when the current ones don't look so fresh and new anymore.  

Just like these (but mine aren't clear), but I think I paid even less than this years ago and bought a dozen probably.  I'm sure I sent my sons to college with them too (dd uses body wash).  https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Soap-Holder-Bathroom-Shower/dp/B000DZFA66/ref=pd_bxgy_d_sccl_1/144-7814077-4894468?pd_rd_w=xRbs6&content-id=amzn1.sym.9713b09e-9eac-42a7-88bb-ecfe516a6b92&pf_rd_p=9713b09e-9eac-42a7-88bb-ecfe516a6b92&pf_rd_r=SKQNZNF052295G7QWMQ9&pd_rd_wg=WMuCc&pd_rd_r=1d0a833f-b8a0-4928-9d11-8d1ce2dd574f&pd_rd_i=B000DZFA66&th=1

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

My husband doesn’t like the soap scum on the soap dish 🤦‍♀️ 

I don’t either, and we don’t use much bar soap for largely that reason. But when we do and we have a guest coming over, I clean the soap dish so there’s no soap stuck to it. 

• Like 2

This was part of a Friends episode once. I think the girls might have used (their own) body wash. Chandler argued soap is soap and it is clean, and that's why he & Joey could share a bar. Joey countered that with something like, "Think about the first place you wash and the last place I wash."

• Haha 2