Menu

Dr. Hive - Mole falling off?

skimomma

About a year ago, a largish, dark brown, mole developed right in front of one of my ears, within the hair line.  It grew rapidly, both in diameter and height.  I had my PCP check in out at my annual in October.  She was not concerned.  It continued to grow.  It was big enough that I kept catching it on all kinds of things...mostly glasses, sun and reading, which I probably take on and off 100 times a day.  But also, hats, mask elastic, my hair brush/comb, etc.....  I had an unrelated appointment with my PCP a couple of weeks ago and had her check it again.  She was still not concerned.  A couple of days after that, I was doing my hair and noticed that it turned from dark brown to grey and that part of it seemed to be detaching!  It has continued to detach and now is hanging on by about 20% of the original base.  This is very VERY gross!  I need to know if this is normal or if I need to go back to my PCP.  And also, if it is normal, can I just pull it off?  It is now catching on everything, looks really nasty, and totally grossing me out!  Aging is so great......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, skimomma said:

About a year ago, a largish, dark brown, mole developed right in front of one of my ears, within the hair line.  It grew rapidly, both in diameter and height.  I had my PCP check in out at my annual in October.  She was not concerned.  It continued to grow.  It was big enough that I kept catching it on all kinds of things...mostly glasses, sun and reading, which I probably take on and off 100 times a day.  But also, hats, mask elastic, my hair brush/comb, etc.....  I had an unrelated appointment with my PCP a couple of weeks ago and had her check it again.  She was still not concerned.  A couple of days after that, I was doing my hair and noticed that it turned from dark brown to grey and that part of it seemed to be detaching!  It has continued to detach and now is hanging on by about 20% of the original base.  This is very VERY gross!  I need to know if this is normal or if I need to go back to my PCP.  And also, if it is normal, can I just pull it off?  It is now catching on everything, looks really nasty, and totally grossing me out!  Aging is so great......

Do you have a mychart?  I would send a message (and a picture if the software let me) and ask your PCP.

• Like 1

Take a picture and send it in, but after that it won’t hurt to pull it off. I bet at some point when it got caught on something the blood supply was damaged. Just watch it carefully afterwards. If it takes longer than 10 days to heal, go to a dermatologist and get it removed. Something similar was the start of melanoma in a relative. 

• Like 2

Can you go straight to a dermatologist? That’s what I would do. They can take it off and send it in for testing (or sometimes they know exactly what it is and may be able to say it doesn’t need any testing).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

Can you go straight to a dermatologist? That’s what I would do. They can take it off and send it in for testing (or sometimes they know exactly what it is and may be able to say it doesn’t need any testing).

Unfortunately, no.  I live in a geographically isolated location and have to travel 2-4 hours to see one.

I'd go to a dermatologist.  If a mole is catching/causing issues insurance usually will pay to remove it.  My son had a mole in his beard area, they paid for that removal because it would get in the way of shaving.   

• Like 1

Just now, skimomma said:

Unfortunately, no.  I live in a geographically isolated location and have to travel 2-4 hours to see one.

Do you require a referral.
You can see what your PCP says, but if you can even do a telemed with a dermatologist, that would tell you if it would be worth your time to travel to see one.
I have limited faith in PCP for more than basic stuff.

• Like 2

I would not be concerned. I take moles off myself occasionally using ligation (tiny rubber bands) and have had no problems pulling them off when they are dead. If you didn't already have it checked a couple times, I might be more cautious.

I would want it biopsied. I had a small mole on my temple that the dermatologist said was completely harmless... and it wasn't. 

I am very concerned that your mole grew so quickly, and I would want to be 100% sure it's nothing to worry about. (I'm thinking something like basal cell carcinoma, not melanoma -- I'm not trying to scare you into thinking it's deadly! -- but you don't want to mess with anything that could possibly be skin cancer.)

Editing to add: I just realized you are a few hours away from a dermatologist, but my advice still stands. I think your health is worth the long car ride. (Also, is there a hospital near you? Wouldn't they have a dermatologist or a doctor who could do the biopsy for you?)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Here any mole that has changed is most often removed and biopsied. Even GPs do this

But Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. I personally have had 5 removed  over the years because of changes to colour  or growth or one getting caught and ripping. One came back as abnormal cells  growth but not cancer. Dh had ??besel cancer?? In one ( the easily removed not melanoma type of cancer)

I am pretty sure it will fall off before I can get into my PCP.  The earliest they have an opening is two weeks from now, although I am on the "cancellation waiting list."  I have to have a referral from my PCP to go to a dermatologist.  I took a photo and put it in my portal but am not too hopeful on that one.  The last two times I have tried to communicate via the portal, it took a few days to just get an auto-response instructing me to make an appointment.  Those were much simpler questions that should have been a quick yes/no from my PCP but I don't think the actual doctor saw what I posted.  So, given all of that, I see my options as going to urgent care before it falls off or waiting for my appointment in which time I am quite sure it will fall off on its own.  If that happens, do I keep it (ew ew ew EW!)?  If I go to urgent care, they might be able to give me a referral to a dermatologist, but again, I don't think I could get an appointment at a time in which I can take a whole day off to travel for it until after it falls off.  Or maybe they can remove it at urgent care?  But probably not to be biopsied?  I'm just not sure what to do next.....

I am glad to know this has happened to others and is probably going to be OK.

I would think that any primary care provider (your own or at an urgent care) would be able to remove it and send it off for a biopsy. I don't think that would necessarily be the case if it were still firmly attached all around. But if it's just dangling by a thread, then -- yes, I think it would be simple for any provider to remove. And sending tissue for a biopsy seems like it should be a simple thing for any medical office.

Edited by Pawz4me

Are you sure it is actually a mole?  Perhaps it is a wart that you body has finally rejected.  That might explain the quick growth.

That said, I'm stunned that your PCP wasn't alarmed at the growth rate and the size even it it looked reasonably normal.

I really do think that the thing should be biopsied.  I would think that your PCP could handle that.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1