Menu

High school transcripts from a closed school?

One of my prospective students for next year cannot get her high school transcripts(a high school diploma and college acceptance is required).  Her high school in California is closed and when she called the state Ed department and LA board of education. They told her that her high school had a fire and all the paper records were destroyed, and nothing at that time was computerized.  Basically they told her to fly from NY to LA to try and figure it out in person or to take a GED.

She does have her high school diploma but of course my college wants her transcripts.

Any ideas?? Our admissions department is unhelpful but the Hive knows everything.

Yes, she should go up the chain to the person who could actually help her.  A GED is for people who didn't complete high school, so she shouldn't have to take that.  Do you have any connections in the admissions office who you could ask for help on her behalf?

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

One CC I took classes at had everyone take a placement exam for writing and math if it had been longer than 2 years since they graduated or took something like the SAT. Can she do that instead?

• Like 3

Does she have anything on her transcript that will enable her to skip a college class? If not, between having her diploma, placement testing, and SAT scores, plus some evidence (news article) showing the school burned it seems like the registrar can issue a waiver to get her registered. If she has dual enrollment credits or AP tests, those records would exist outside of her school. 

How long ago did she graduate? If it’s recent I wonder if she used canvas enough to recreate a transcript from those records.  I’m assuming your college hasn’t already admitted her. 

• Like 2

In addition to her diploma and a newspaper article, might she have a yearbook that could give additional information/corroboration about her attendance?

(A long shot) If she is not a recent graduate, perhaps a previous employer kept a file of her high school records.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Maybe she could get an affadavit from someone who remembers she graduated, or from herself.  Sometimes places will except affadavits for things like that…. Either just writing a formal letter, or doing that plus getting it notarized.  

Maybe she could offer that as a solution and see if it can be accepted.  

• Like 1

She does have a copy of her diploma. The college wants transcripts.

No previous job has needed the transcripts.  She had no idea about this issue until applying; she graduated high school in 2003 I think.

NYS SUNY schools require that you have an accredited high school diploma or a GED and the school is arguing that they have no idea if her school would have been considered accredited, so they insist on transcripts.  Given the problems this admission office gives homeschoolers, I’m not holding out hope they’re going to be helpful.

• Sad 2

I would call the district office.   Which district was it?   I only ask because I worked in LAUSD for 17 years and if it is LAUSD I may be able to help figure out who to call, although many of my previous connections have retired.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

No previous job has needed the transcripts.  She had no idea about this issue until applying; she graduated high school in 2003 I think.

NYS SUNY schools require that you have an accredited high school diploma or a GED and the school is arguing that they have no idea if her school would have been considered accredited, so they insist on transcripts.  Given the problems this admission office gives homeschoolers, I’m not holding out hope they’re going to be helpful.

I would think that even if the individual student paper records were destroyed the board of Ed should have records that indicate whether the school was accredited,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SUNY schools can be such a pain. There should be a record in California that the school was accredited. I would try to find a different person to talk to in California. They must be able to issue some sort of letter. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Or another option that we used in NYC SUNY schools is a letter of high school equivalency from superintendent - perhaps you could get something similar